Tennis Forum banner

Suicide Tennis | Rules |

31K views 181 replies 68 participants last post by  Davidspell 
#1 · (Edited)
win·ner (wĭn'er)

noun

One that wins, especially a victor in sports or a notably successful person.

winnaar Sieger νικητής gagnant רעיון מבטיח vincitore победитель vinnare الظافر succé лауреат εχέγγυο επιτυχίας Erfolg

Concept​
1. Each day of play, you must pick 1 winner playing a WTA main draw singles match. Of course, the player that you choose, is playing one match scheduled to be played that day (as seen on the order of play).

2. This is where the twist comes in. Once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So, you don't want to waste a pick on Clijsters or Sharapova to win in early round matches.

3. You must choose one player to win each day. If you forget, are sick, or are unable to reach a computer, it will be treated as a wrong pick, and you will be out of the tournament. As well, your pick must be chosen before the first match has commenced, otherwise it will be considered a wrong pick, and thus you will again, be out of the tournament.

For Example:

On DAY 02 daniela86 chooses Paola Suarez. From that point on, daniela86 (assuming he qualifies) is unable to choose Paola Suarez again. It is especially significant when on the semifinal day, you are choosing who you believe will win in the semifinals, but also lose in the final.

4. Only in the case of a walkover, or a withdrawal, each player is allowed to have a back-up pick, selected at the same time as their initial pick. That back-up pick will only be used in the occurence of a walkover or withdrawal, as stated above. Retirements do count as completed matches.

Replacement picks must be identitified like this:

BACK-UP PICK - Daniela Hantuchova

If it is not clearly identitified, then both picks will be declared invalid.​

For Example:

Hobart - 2006 - Day 1 Matches:

Severine Bremond vs [WC] Christina Wheeler
[Q] Anne Kremer vs [2] Klara Koukalova
[Q] Olga Poutchkova vs Mara Santangelo
[1] Katarina Srebotnik vs [WC] Casey Dellacqua
Michaella Krajicek vs Maret Ani
[Q] Arantxa Parra Santonja vs Kristina Brandi
[3] Anna Smashnova vs Laura Granville
Mashona Washington vs Emilie Loit
Evgenia Linetskaya vs Alona Bondarenko
Martina Sucha vs Jelena Kostanic

andrew_uk chooses Jelena Kostanic and "Back-Up Pick - Klara Koukalova"
Chevina chooses Katarina Srebotnik and "Back-up Pick - Laura Granville"
pirlo chooses Anna Smashnova and "Back-up Pick - Michaella Krajicek"

Day 1 Match Results:

[Q] Anne Kremer def. [2] Klara Koukalova
Jelena Kostanic def. Martina Sucha
[WC] Casey Dellacqua def. [LL] Aleksandra Wozniak (Wozniak replaces Srebotnik in the main draw, due to her withdrawal)
Laura Granville def. [3] Anna Smashnova
Michaella Krajicek def. Maret Ani

andrew_uk's pick of Kostanic is correct, he has qualified for Day 2.
Chevina's pick of Srebotnik is invalid, due to her withdrawal. However, because his back-up pick is correct, he has qualified for Day 2.
pirlo's pick of Smashnova is incorrect, therefore he has not qualified for Day 2.

Despite andrew_uk and Chevina qualifying for Day 2, they are not allowed to choose their picks from Day 1 for the remainder of the tournament (for andrew_uk that would be Kostanic, and for Chevina that would be Granville).

5. As you get deeper into the draws, you have to start picking based on not only who you think will win, but who is likely to lose down the road. And remember, if you are still alive come semi-final time, you are not only picking who you think would win a semi, but also who would lose the final, since you could not pick the same player again.

Remember, every choice, whether good or bad, can be deadly...

See less See more
#150 ·
No problem. ;)

#153 ·
I have a question.
Today in Stuttgart R1, Cibulkova had to play against Hantuchova, but Daniela retired and was replaced by Amanmuradova. Should I use Cibulkova picks and all Hantuchova picks replace by back-ups or use them in both situations?

#155 ·
I have lived till 6-th day!
I was finished suicide in 2-nd day, but by not clear way for me have been reanimated.
My choice:
D2: Cibulkova
BU: Barthel
Hantuchova it is not mentioned in my picks, therefore there is no difference, it played or was removed.

And if Cibulkova has won and Barthel has lost? Then to me will include BU, and game is finished... Illogically somehow...

#158 ·
Can someone take a look on Madrid's thread?
We're 6 players on DAY 09 with no picks.
I am the only seeded, who received a DAY 01 BYE.
All the rest lost 2 sets and I lost 1 set. So, what's going on with the rule? Who is the winner?

I'd the impression that we look at lost sets and then lost games. Am I wrong?

#159 ·
I'm confused as well. I thought games lost was the first tie-breaker so why are people saying sets lost is. Did the rule change? And where?

#161 ·
That post doesn't even make sense to me. :hysteric:

#162 ·
c) In the event that they are still tied, the picks who lost fewer sets when they were chosen, including the round in which the pick had lost, will be tallied. The tally which includes fewer sets lost, will be deemed the winner.

This is still what counts.

#173 ·
This post was not right of course. The rules are the same as from the start. So it's:

) In the event of a tie the following will occur

a) The player who had more picks during the tournament is deemed the winner.

b)If still in the event of a tie for first and second place, the player whose picks lost fewer games (ONLY in the round that they were selected), will be determined as having won.

c) In the event that they are still tied, the picks who lost fewer sets when they were chosen, including the round in which the pick had lost, will be tallied. The tally which includes fewer sets lost, will be deemed the winner.

d) In the event that they are still tied, the player who posted their pciks earlier on the final day (the final day that they were both still posting choices) will be declared the winner.

#163 ·
I am not seeing how they are still tied though. There is no tie after games lost.

#164 ·
Using b) (ONLY in the round that they were selected) both Serena and Azarenka lost 6 games on DAY 08
That's drive us to c), where I lost 1 set (not including BU Stosur on DAY 01 BYE)

So, what happens? Even if you count Stosur's lost set, it's 2 for everyone. Then if you head to d) I am the one who post first on DAY 08 and 09....
I can not understand this new rule and how we count the winner, in which order.

#165 ·
I thought the first tie-breaker for games lost was for all your picks over all the rounds. That's how I've always done it and always seen it done. I'm really confused now and I feel bad if you should win the tournament..

#166 ·
Nope. It's not personal because I'm confused about the rules too. Losing sets is always > than losing games (logical)
And I don't know what's going on with DAY 01 BYE/picks. If it counts, i can not see a reason having a BYE on DAY 01 as it will finally count...

#169 ·
Maybe it's logical but in last season losing games > losing sets :spit:

#167 ·
The Bye rule is because people were mad that it was too much of an advantage when it came to tie-breakers. That's why it counts now. The only advantage of having a Bye now is that you can't lose on Day 1.

#171 ·
For the purposes of Madrid, the overall result is right because 4 people are tied on sets lost (2) and then the next tie-breaker is games lost and come on lena still has lost the least amount of games.

Is this for sure the rule now that sets lots>games lost?

#175 ·
I'm In as a new player :)

#176 ·
Hi, Just wondering if it was okay to play from next week? I have just run a version of this game on a different forum and really enjoyed it. Wanted to play more regularly so joined this forum! I see some games say you need to be a member for two months and have 100 posts etc. Does this apply for Suicide tennis??

#178 · (Edited)
I know it has been discussed beforehand but I was managing Hobart this week and there was a 3way tie for first with the only differing picks being on day 2. People lost (games/sets) 9/0, 7/1, 7/0... Just imagine for a second that their third score (7/0) hadn't played, then under current rules the player with score 7/1 would have been champion...

I honestly think this rule or sets>games needs to be changed as wining in straights 7/6 7/6 should still be better then winning 4/6 6/0 6/0...

Also im sure that everyone knows how to calculate percentages which is why i think that it shouldnt be number of games lost, but % of games won... that way losing 7/6 (46%) is better then losing 0/6 (0%)... whereas under current rules, it isn't

EDIT: This is how it is done in both WTA and ATP season ending championships, andto a lesser extent, the hopman cup and Adalaid a couple of years ago when the ATP trialed the RR format for a weekly tournament

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.