Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana Konjuh

488K views 5K replies 103 participants last post by  Meelis 
#1 ·
Born 27.12.1997
Ok guys I followed this girls developement for quite a few months now.
Last month she won the European Junior Championships, Pilzen for girls under 14.

Other success she had this year:
Winner of G16 Junior Croatia Open, Cakovec
Winner of G14 Mladost Grill Open, Zagreb
Winner of G16 Kvarner Open, Rijeka
Also reaching a G16 final in AvignonFR and a couple of SFs.

This year she has a win-loss record of 48-7 currently. With those 4 titles.
She seems to be highly talented, there´s a lot of potential, hope she´s not going to fade away and go her way.

http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113738/ana-konjuh-vodeca-u-europi
http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113113/ana-konjuh-europska-prvakinja

People might say it´s too early for a thread but after twinning the European Championchips I though she would deserve a own thread.

See less See more
#3,997 ·
I got the impression that this was a very nervy match from Ana. And don't forget that the crowd was 99% against her. She was 3-5 down in the final tiebreak.

Despite all this, Ana still pulled out the win. Congrats!!! :worship:

#4,009 ·
Were you there, croat123?

I was dying while following the scoreboard. I can't imagine what it was like watching it live. :sobbing:
no, couldn't make it. yesterday, black was screaming come on after each error from antonia. she makes no errors and just runs everything down. i knew it was going to be a frustrating match for ana, who did not serve well today based on the statistics

#4,018 ·
great win from ana! so happy for her. especially at a match as tight as this one was!

so, this has been her last juniors match. i'm wondering about something though.. young players are allowed to participate in a pretty small amount of tournaments during the year (12 tournaments a year for a 16 year old, for example).
doesn't that mean that she'll be forced to have a lot of time off during the season, because of these restrictions?

#4,023 · (Edited)

By Dana Czapnik
Sunday, September 8, 2013

In front of a packed Court 11, Sunday's US Open girls’ singles final turned into a nearly three-hour battle, with No. 2 seed Ana Konjuh of Croatia outlasting unseeded American and crowd favorite Tornado Alicia Black, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6.

The 15-year-old Black showed no signs of intimidation, as she faced a player who had beaten her twice previously and was bigger, stronger and ranked higher, hanging tough throughout and pulling ahead to win the opening set before Konjuh, also 15, righted the ship.

Both girls had difficulty holding serve, particularly as the grueling match went on. Black had seven break-point opportunities in the third set, converting two, as the set wound its way into a deciding tiebreak. Black then gained the upper hand in the breaker, serving at 5-4, but lost both points on her serve to give Konjuh a match point. Black was able to fend that one off, but on her second try, Konjuh came through to secure her second junior Slam title of the year, in addition to her Australian Open crown.

Throughout the match, Black played a smart defensive game against Konjuh, who had a tough time mentally when she fell behind in her service games. Black hung back and stayed in points, waiting for Konjuh to commit an error. Konjuh double faulted eight times throughout the match, most of them coming at times when she had already fallen behind on her service game.

The power-serving Konjuh notched five aces in the match. Her serve and ground strokes were significantly more powerful than Black’s, but the American is a grinder and kept sending the ball back to Konjuh’s side of the net.

“She's really good on the baseline,” the champion said after the match. “I just had to play a lot of drop shots.”

In the second set, Black called a medical timeout to take care of a hamstring injury that bothered her before the match had even started, as she was sporting tape on her left leg at the start of the match.

“It was hurting a lot, but I was trying to focus on the match, not on my leg,” Black said of the injury.

Though this was a disappointing loss for Black because of how close she was to taking home the win, she plans to learn from the experience and use her success in only her second Grand Slam junior event as a spring board.

“Hopefully next year I will get to go to the Australian and go to the French and Wimbledon. That will be exciting,” she said.

For the young Konjuh, the victory at the US Open caps off an impressive year, with winning two of the four major junior titles and her current ranking of No. 2 in the ITF World Junior Rankings.

“It was really good year,” she said smiling. “I had really some good results, and I'm really happy.”
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2013-09-08/201309081378670231738.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.