Tennis Forum banner

NO Conspiracy Just SEWTA FAIL - Serena Arrived In Istanbul - Karo "Qualified" Sophia

21K views 146 replies 81 participants last post by  RVD 
#1 · (Edited)
NO Conspiracy Just SEWTA FAIL - Serena Arrived In Istanbul - Karo "Qualified" Sophia

SEWTA posted an article today announcing Nadia Petrova and Roberta Vinci as the first qualifiers (besides WC) to Sophia :spit:

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20121015/sofia-field-filling-up-petrova-vinci-qualify_2256076_2949493

this really does not make sense as our Queen Karolina / SEOUL MM CHAMP is ranked #11 and is the undisputed #1 qualifer to Sophia :rolleyes:

the only possibility I can think of is Serena already told SEWTA she won't play Istanbul, which means Karolina becomes an alternate in Istanbul, which means she does not have to show up to Sophia :help:

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Conspiracy - SEWTA Not Announcing Karo In Sophia - Means Serena Withdrew Istanbul

But I thought you can still play Sofia if you are alt to YEC
Like Bartoli last year
Yeah, thats what I thought also. If the WTA knows Serena is out, they should tell Stosur.

#5 ·
Re: Conspiracy - SEWTA Not Announcing Karo In Sophia - Means Serena Withdrew Istanbul

you CAN play in Sophia if you are an alternate in Istanbul, as Na Li did in 2010 and Marion Bartoli did in 2011

however, I believe that if you make Istanbul as an alternate, you can decline on Sophia with no penalty :oh:

#9 ·

You are not an alternate if you enter the tournament after withdrawals BEFORE the tournament begins. You would then not be able to enter Sofia (notice the spelling - thank you). You are an entrant. That's why Wozniacki is not announced. Kanepi is more than 8 places out.

#12 ·

You are not an alternate if you enter the tournament after withdrawals BEFORE the tournament begins. You would then not be able to enter Sofia (notice the spelling - thank you). You are an entrant. That's why Wozniacki is not announced. Kanepi is more than 8 places out.
He did it on purpose :sobbing:

#10 ·

the only way Karolina officially enters Istanbul is if 3 of the top 8 withdraw ... I don't see any reason not to announce her as qualifying for Sophia :shrug:

#16 ·

Serena Williams ‏@serenawilliams

Food poisoning? This has not been my best 2/3 weeks...

Serena Williams ‏@serenawilliams

My tummy hurts :( Tums anyone?
She still has some time to recover, but it's more likely that Serena will skip YEC just to snatch the wig of YEC champion at AO

#41 ·

She still has some time to recover, but it's more likely that Serena will skip YEC just to snatch the wig of YEC champion at AO
She tweeted about that a week ago. She's probably fine by now, it's a food poisoning, it doesn't take weeks to recover.

#19 ·

There's no point in announcing her if she can ALT in Istanbul and decides not to participate in Sofia. It will all become clear by Monday of next week. Chill.

Reactions: *Jool*
#21 ·

I hope she plays. This will be the first tour I watch since June. What kind of bad luck is that? Once I start to watch, she withdraws?

#23 ·

As much as I think Serena will not play :sad:! Maybe they're just not promoting Caroline because her participation is unsure (any YEC player may withdraw giving Caroline a spot). You can't tell the Sofia crowd they'll see one particular player if in the end they end up not having this player BECAUSE OF WTA RULES.

That rule being one player can't play Yec AND Sofia.

Promoting a tournament with players that end up withdrawing is one thing (players to blame). Promoting a tournament with a player that may not be ALLOWED to play is another (WTA to blame).

#24 ·

I thought Istanbul alternates still had to play Sofia? Or is that only if they don't get to play at Istanbul?

These rules are a serious mess.:tape: Vinci (and probably Petrova too) plays Istanbul doubles and still has to show up in Sofia. But an alternate who may not even play does not?

#26 ·

I thought Istanbul alternates still had to play Sofia? Or is that only if they don't get to play at Istanbul?

These rules are a serious mess.:tape: Vinci (and probably Petrova too) plays Istanbul doubles and still has to show up in Sofia. But an alternate who may not even play does not?
Final two singles alternates in the Premier WTA Championships might play Sofia, but are allowed to withdraw without penalty. Just like players competing in the Fed Cup Final.

Doubles players who qualify for the Premier WTA Championships must play in Sofia (if they qualify) or they will get zero pointer.

#28 ·

i think caro would play sofia too also if being an alternate in istambul. its impossible she can enter istambul finally(needs 3 withdrawals...)

#29 · (Edited)

From the past experiences, Serena clearly doesn't care YEC,
Right now, she only focus on Slam.
She doesn't care being Year end No.1 and she has no chance this year.
I think there is 95% Serena will withdraw before the YEC,

Btw, possibly there is only Serena would withdraw,
so either Stosur or Bartoli would play
Caro no matter how, she still at most be the alternate.
She still can play in Sofia

#30 ·

Serena wont play Sofia. She is getting ready to come to play exhibition in JHB with Venus in some weeks :)

#31 ·

Piotr said Caro will play Sofia, that's why they decided to play Moscow, if she had not qualified for Sofia she would be on vacation by now!

#42 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.