Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

377K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#3,069 ·
Very interesting interview with Petra's manager just published in a major Czech business daily.

Although there's lot of local stuff, like his relations/contacts with politicians or his other projects like NHL opening games or the track & field event he organizes (Usain Bolt participated several times), but there's some juicy tennis (Petra-related) info. May be interesting for those interested in the business aspect of tennis.

Excerpts:

The Petra-Kerber Fed Cup final match was watched by 2 million TV viewers in CZ, i.e. more than the CZ-Iceland soccer qualifier (1.6 million) and the CZ-Russia ice-hockey match (600 thousand). Therefore, Petra > national soccer and ice-hockey teams :devil:

He's been representing Petra since she was 15 (Berdych since 11, Safarova since 9).

Petra and ice-hockey star Jaromir Jagr are the only athletes he represents for whom he receives financial proposals/offers from sponsors & advertisers. For other athletes he has to actively search for funding. As for Petra, the reason is simple: two Wimbledon titles, which he describes as an 'extremely strong brand'.

Question: "Why does Bouchard, who lost the Wimbledon final, earn more in endorsements?"

"Petra has never wanted and will never play a sexy doll. She wants to be a successful sportswoman. Therefore, I only push her to take part in events where I want her to look healthy and self-confident. I know that her natural mentality is not like some of those girls who will lie on a sofa, pull their bra down and put their hands on breasts. She's not this kind of a girl. She's relatively private, focuses on her career. At tournaments, after a match or a practice session, she immediately goes to hotel and reads. She has a big potential, she's the seventh best-selling brand in the tennis world, men included. However, the sport business has an extremely short memory. After her first Wimbledon victory in 2011, she got a $400,000 offer from Rolex, but before she signed she lost twice in the first round at US tournaments and Rolex instantly lost their interest."

He has also met with Ivan Lendl, who presented him a brilliant four-page analysis of Berdych's game. But for time-management/schedule reasons, this partnership failed.

Despite representing Petra, he believes women should be paid less. Her 55-minute victory in the Wimbledon final equals to just one set played by the guys. Because TV companies don't like 5- or 7-hour battles with random finish times, he was pushing the idea of best-of-three for Davis Cup, but with no success.

Petra and Lucie are very hard-working. One of the reasons is their modest (working-class) background, they're not like some children from rich families, who stop working on their tennis at 15, because a rich daddy pays for studies abroad.

#3,076 ·
#3,074 ·
"Petra has never wanted and will never play a sexy doll. She wants to be a successful sportswoman. Therefore, I only push her to take part in events where I want her to look healthy and self-confident. I know that her natural mentality is not like some of those girls who will lie on a sofa, pull their bra down and put their hands on breasts.

this made me laugh :lol::lol::lol:

#3,078 ·
Hello! It has been a long time since I found the time to sit down and write a blog... actually I realised that I haven't done it since Wimbledon, sorry about that!
Well I finally got to take a break and relax after a very long season. I had two weeks away from tennis completely and went to Monaco for a few days before heading to Dubai just to chill on the beach with my brother. Those two weeks without my racket always fly by so quickly and since Wednesday last week I have already been back at work.
I'm happy to say that my pre-season is going very well so far. I am healthy and working very hard on everything that I need to improve for 2015. My new fitness coach Alex Stober has been absolutely great. He has a lot of experience and he knows what to do, he arrived with a very specific plan to make me stronger and faster on court. It's also great that he is a physio as well because he knows exactly how a tennis player's body is working.
The exercises we are doing are very focused on tennis and on my game specifically so that I can play tennis the "Petra" way. At the end of every day we have treatment so that he can find any little injuries and help me to get rid of the pain... that is everywhere!
It's actually really nice to have an international team and it's funny because David speaks German so he can easily speak with Alex about me! Otherwise we are speaking English of course, so now I have Czechs, a German, Dutch and British in my team - that's pretty international :)
When I did a Facebook Q&A recently, one of my fans asked me what I am most proud of from this season. To be honest, I am proud of many things. I definitely went through some tough moments and I know that it was important to get over them for my self-belief. I am proud of myself that every time I woke up and went to practice, I just focused on trying to be better. Of course Wimbledon was the highlight of the year, I won my second Grand Slam and to have two Wimbledon trophies in my parents' house means absolutely everything to me. Then the last match of the season against Kerber was really terrific, a great battle and the perfect match to end the season on a high.
The most important lesson I learnt is that if your game is not working as you would like, you still have to believe. It's easy just to give up and to say "I can't do it" but I always wanted to be better. And I learnt never, ever to give up.
Next year I have some clear goals in my mind. I want to have better results at the Grand Slams and of course one day I want to be Number One in the world. I have been close already, but I really hope that day will come. Those clear goals are motivating me to work harder than ever before to get ready for 2015.
So I want to wish everyone Happy Christmas and I hope you all enjoy the off-season before we are back on the court again. I will be wishing just for good health this year from Father Christmas, not only for me but for my closest ones and of course for all my fans :)
See you very soon,

#3,079 ·
It's actually really nice to have an international team and it's funny because David speaks German so he can easily speak with Alex about me! Otherwise we are speaking English of course, so now I have Czechs, a German, Dutch and British in my team - that's pretty international :)
Who's that Dutch person, some marketing/advertising guy?

Anyway, hopefully Excelscior is finally happy that Petra has a truly international team :oh:

#3,086 ·
Great Article about the great match!
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/12/no-3-turf-war/53407/#.VIoRrjHz2ik

Especially like this poetic part :)

You see the winners, but this one also had the unique tension of a great grass-court match, one that comes from knowing that, as routine and inevitable as most holds of serve will be, each set will likely be decided by a single shot, a single mistake, a single moment of brilliance, a single, minute-long slip. The winner will be the player who is ready for that moment, but no one in the building will have any idea when it will come. Good grass-court tennis is defined by a sense of danger lurking just beneath the surface, and this match, for all of its visible brilliance, had that sense.

#3,088 ·
I like articles by Tignor, he has a knack for capturing the 'feel' of a match and no doubt he really loves the sport of tennis.

OTOH, tennis.com should follow Petra's recent example and expand their writing staff internationally, as basically all articles, previews, features etc. are written by Tignor and Bodo :lol:

#3,091 ·
PETRA ON RIGHT TO PLAY

On the day of her big Right To Play announcement, Petra Kvitova did a Q&A, talking about everything from Right To Play to her off-season, No.1 and Australia. Read on!

Petra Kvitova was announced as a Global Athlete Ambassador for Right To Play today, and as that news breaks - and on the eve of the 2015 season - she did a Q&A with wtatennis.com.

Tell us about Right To Play and why you've chosen to make a commitment to this cause?
"I feel like it's the right time in my career to start giving back. I'm so grateful to sport for giving me wonderful opportunities in my life and I believe every child deserves the same chance to experience the benefits of sport. Right To Play does incredible work and I'm really excited to become an ambassador. They use the power of play to educate and empower children facing adversity and, having learned about their projects and their commitment to helping children, I can't wait to get started."

What's the most interesting story you've heard in regards to kids in the Right To Play program?
"I think the most interesting thing about Right To Play is the number of athletes involved and their commitment to raising the profile of the charity. Right To Play was set up by former Olympian Johann Koss and I love the fact that there are so many amazing athletes - more than 300 athletes - from different sports involved. Athletes like Mark Cavendish, Suzann Pettersen, Haile Gebrselassie and of course Chelsea FC all visit the Right To Play programs and help to inspire the children.

"I hope to learn from the children I meet and share my experiences with them at the same time."

What regions do you think need the most help?
"Right To Play programs currently reach over one million children in more than 20 countries around the world. While there's a need to focus on countries facing adversity and with the least amount of access to sport and play activities, I don't want to say one region because every child everywhere deserves the right to play and that's the goal of the Right To Play organization. It's a truly global initiative."

How will you measure success during your involvement with Right To Play?
"I want to help promote the charity, of course raise money and have a lot of fun with the children, but generally just to spread the word about the programs and the great work that Right To Play does.

"I will do anything I can to help."

You were born in the Czech Republic just as freedom was settling in. Did your parents talk much about their lives under communism and did that have an effect on your outlook of life?
"Not really, they didn't talk too much about it as I think we try to look forward. But I'm aware of how difficult life used to be there and of the history of our country and I'm just grateful for the freedom that I have and that I can travel all around the world playing the sport that I love."

You're working with a new fitness trainer, Alex Stober, and said that you want to play more of your "Petra" style. What made you decide to focus on fitness this year?
"I've needed to focus on fitness for a long time and when I'm asked what areas of my game I can improve, I often say my fitness and movement. Alex is so experienced and I really feel the program he made for me this pre-season is already helping and will hopefully make a big difference in 2015."

How did Alex assess your form before starting training? Where did he want you to improve?
"As I say, movement was a big area for improvement, and just getting fitter and stronger generally. Alex is also a physio so he is in charge of taking care of my body and understanding where the weaknesses are and trying to avoid injuries before they happen."

Did the WTA Finals in Singapore change your perspective on the upcoming season?
"No, not really. After the Fed Cup final, when I took a two week holiday, I was able to refresh my mind. And while it's nice to remember the highlights of the 2014 season, when I hit the first ball in 2015 in Shenzhen it will be about a new year and new challenges ahead of me. It's always great to qualify for the WTA Finals and I will be doing everything I can to qualify again in 2015."

What are your goals for 2015?
"I just want to make sure I show the work I've done in the off-season. I'm really motivated to do well in Australia this year, since I had a tough time there in 2014 and didn't show what I can do on the court. I want to show my best tennis and get better, more consistent results at the Grand Slams, and if all of that happens, then of course one day I would also like to be No.1 in the world."

#3,094 ·
PETRA ON RIGHT TO PLAY

On the day of her big Right To Play announcement, Petra Kvitova did a Q&A, talking about everything from Right To Play to her off-season, No.1 and Australia. Read on!

Petra Kvitova was announced as a Global Athlete Ambassador for Right To Play today, and as that news breaks - and on the eve of the 2015 season - she did a Q&A with wtatennis.com.

Tell us about Right To Play and why you've chosen to make a commitment to this cause?
"I feel like it's the right time in my career to start giving back. I'm so grateful to sport for giving me wonderful opportunities in my life and I believe every child deserves the same chance to experience the benefits of sport. Right To Play does incredible work and I'm really excited to become an ambassador. They use the power of play to educate and empower children facing adversity and, having learned about their projects and their commitment to helping children, I can't wait to get started."

What's the most interesting story you've heard in regards to kids in the Right To Play program?
"I think the most interesting thing about Right To Play is the number of athletes involved and their commitment to raising the profile of the charity. Right To Play was set up by former Olympian Johann Koss and I love the fact that there are so many amazing athletes - more than 300 athletes - from different sports involved. Athletes like Mark Cavendish, Suzann Pettersen, Haile Gebrselassie and of course Chelsea FC all visit the Right To Play programs and help to inspire the children.

"I hope to learn from the children I meet and share my experiences with them at the same time."

What regions do you think need the most help?
"Right To Play programs currently reach over one million children in more than 20 countries around the world. While there's a need to focus on countries facing adversity and with the least amount of access to sport and play activities, I don't want to say one region because every child everywhere deserves the right to play and that's the goal of the Right To Play organization. It's a truly global initiative."

How will you measure success during your involvement with Right To Play?
"I want to help promote the charity, of course raise money and have a lot of fun with the children, but generally just to spread the word about the programs and the great work that Right To Play does.

"I will do anything I can to help."

You were born in the Czech Republic just as freedom was settling in. Did your parents talk much about their lives under communism and did that have an effect on your outlook of life?
"Not really, they didn't talk too much about it as I think we try to look forward. But I'm aware of how difficult life used to be there and of the history of our country and I'm just grateful for the freedom that I have and that I can travel all around the world playing the sport that I love."

You're working with a new fitness trainer, Alex Stober, and said that you want to play more of your "Petra" style. What made you decide to focus on fitness this year?
"I've needed to focus on fitness for a long time and when I'm asked what areas of my game I can improve, I often say my fitness and movement. Alex is so experienced and I really feel the program he made for me this pre-season is already helping and will hopefully make a big difference in 2015."

How did Alex assess your form before starting training? Where did he want you to improve?
"As I say, movement was a big area for improvement, and just getting fitter and stronger generally. Alex is also a physio so he is in charge of taking care of my body and understanding where the weaknesses are and trying to avoid injuries before they happen."

Did the WTA Finals in Singapore change your perspective on the upcoming season?
"No, not really. After the Fed Cup final, when I took a two week holiday, I was able to refresh my mind. And while it's nice to remember the highlights of the 2014 season, when I hit the first ball in 2015 in Shenzhen it will be about a new year and new challenges ahead of me. It's always great to qualify for the WTA Finals and I will be doing everything I can to qualify again in 2015."

What are your goals for 2015?
"I just want to make sure I show the work I've done in the off-season. I'm really motivated to do well in Australia this year, since I had a tough time there in 2014 and didn't show what I can do on the court. I want to show my best tennis and get better, more consistent results at the Grand Slams, and if all of that happens, then of course one day I would also like to be No.1 in the world."
This paragraph, is actually the most encouraging (to everyone and Bobito above) IMHO!!

Petra can usually talk up a storm of redundant BS when interviewed. However, she seems much more measured, while at the same time determined with more finite goal setting in this interview.

Sounds good. :yeah: Let's hope the results follow?

Hopefully, she'll surprise many folks with her Australia run, except us! :angel: :oh: :angel:

PS: Congratulations on your new work with Right To Play, Petra and good luck in 2015!!

#3,092 ·
:yeah:

#3,096 ·
Photos of the new outfit are not loading.

#3,101 ·
#3,102 ·
Petra Kvitova
Petra Kvitova hoping the hard yards pay dividends at Australian Open

The two-times Wimbledon champion has been working on her fitness in the off-season and has arrived in Melbourne on form and eager to go the distance
• Wozniacki: the only thing lacking from my CV is a grand slam

Petra Kvitova believes that working with her fitness coach, Alex Stober, has allowed her to 'play the tennis I always wish to play'.
Photograph: Barbara Walton/EPA Simon Cambers in Melbourne
Sunday 18 January 2015 11.55 GMT

When Li Na recently tipped Petra Kvitova to win this year’s Australian Open, she did so not just because of their close friendship and the respect she has for the Czech’s game. Li’s retirement from tennis may have robbed Melbourne of a defending champion but it has given Kvitova a boost that could yet see her add to her two Wimbledon titles over the next fortnight.

Kvitova has always had power and nerve, as you would expect from someone who won on the grass of Wimbledon in 2011 and 2014. With her style, she could end up with a hatful of titles at the All England Club but as she approaches her peak years, she is determined to show her versatility by winning at least one of the other three grand slam events.

“Of course it’s one of my goals to win another grand slam,” she told The Guardian at Melbourne Park. “Wimbledon was great – so if it’s Wimbledon again, that’s fine – but I think I have the game to win the other grand slams as well. It’s not like I never win tournaments on hard courts or clay. I want it and I think in my mind, I can play well. It’s something I need to show on the court, not just in the smaller tournaments.”

Considering she has won titles on hard courts and clay, there would seem to be no reason the 24-year-old should not win here, at the French Open or even at the US Open, where the humidity causes her trouble. If there is one thing that has occasionally held her back, it has been her movement, with her tall frame not always easy to manoeuvre quickly enough. But thanks to Li, indirectly at least, that is changing, fast.

Kvitova snapped up Li’s fitness trainer, Alex Stober, in the off-season and already the difference is clear to see. The Czech’s movement has improved markedly, she is faster around the court and more dynamic. Having lost in round one here last year, she looks confident and goes into Tuesday’s first-round match against Richel Hogenkamp of the Netherlands with another title under her belt, having won in Sydney last week.

“I have had a few fitness coaches and I always expect too much and it didn’t come,” Kvitova says. “So I am trying not to expect too much and just taking my time, doing everything I can in practice and hopefully it will show in the match as well. But it takes a while.”

Kvitova looks in the best shape of her career and with so much power at her disposal, that can only bode well for her hopes here, where she is the fourth seed. “I feel better, for sure,” she says. “I think that I am quicker on the court, I know that I can catch more balls in rallies and my power on serve I think is better as well. I’m glad that I can play the tennis that I always wish to play.”

Kvitova has reached the semi-finals both here and in Paris but she’s also lost in the second round and first round here in the past two years. Capable of greatness, as she produced at Wimbledon last summer in crushing Eugenie Bouchard of Canada in the final, she is also likely to throw in the odd stinker, like last year when she lost to Thailand’s Luksika Kumkhum in round one.

Some players would struggle with that kind of inconsistency but Kvitova has clearly come to terms with it. “I think that’s just me,” she says. “It’s going to be like that, up and down probably, all my career. I will do everything I can [to be more consistent] but I think it’s good to have the big titles and then maybe lose first round, than play in the quarter-finals [all the time]. Sometimes it’s very disappointing to lose but in general I think it’s just better. It is how it is. Winning two Wimbledons is very nice, no matter what.”

That defeat to Kumkhum last year hurt badly, Kvitova said, but it may also have helped her dig deeper to find the form that won her another Wimbledon. “I think everything bad that happens can be good in a way, if you’re thinking about it after a while,” she says. “At the time it’s never easy, but all the things that didn’t go so well in the first part of the year, I took something positive and maybe thought about things differently.”

Her Sydney triumph showed the benefit of her fitness work and if she gets deep into the tournament, no one will want to see Kvitova on the other side of the net. “I am in good form,” she says. “I hope the confidence I had in the past few matches will pay off here.”

#3,104 ·
Petra Kvitova
Petra Kvitova hoping the hard yards pay dividends at Australian Open

The two-times Wimbledon champion has been working on her fitness in the off-season and has arrived in Melbourne on form and eager to go the distance
• Wozniacki: the only thing lacking from my CV is a grand slam

Petra Kvitova believes that working with her fitness coach, Alex Stober, has allowed her to 'play the tennis I always wish to play'.
Photograph: Barbara Walton/EPA Simon Cambers in Melbourne
Sunday 18 January 2015 11.55 GMT

When Li Na recently tipped Petra Kvitova to win this year’s Australian Open, she did so not just because of their close friendship and the respect she has for the Czech’s game. Li’s retirement from tennis may have robbed Melbourne of a defending champion but it has given Kvitova a boost that could yet see her add to her two Wimbledon titles over the next fortnight.

Kvitova has always had power and nerve, as you would expect from someone who won on the grass of Wimbledon in 2011 and 2014. With her style, she could end up with a hatful of titles at the All England Club but as she approaches her peak years, she is determined to show her versatility by winning at least one of the other three grand slam events.

“Of course it’s one of my goals to win another grand slam,” she told The Guardian at Melbourne Park. “Wimbledon was great – so if it’s Wimbledon again, that’s fine – but I think I have the game to win the other grand slams as well. It’s not like I never win tournaments on hard courts or clay. I want it and I think in my mind, I can play well. It’s something I need to show on the court, not just in the smaller tournaments.”

Considering she has won titles on hard courts and clay, there would seem to be no reason the 24-year-old should not win here, at the French Open or even at the US Open, where the humidity causes her trouble. If there is one thing that has occasionally held her back, it has been her movement, with her tall frame not always easy to manoeuvre quickly enough. But thanks to Li, indirectly at least, that is changing, fast.

Kvitova snapped up Li’s fitness trainer, Alex Stober, in the off-season and already the difference is clear to see. The Czech’s movement has improved markedly, she is faster around the court and more dynamic. Having lost in round one here last year, she looks confident and goes into Tuesday’s first-round match against Richel Hogenkamp of the Netherlands with another title under her belt, having won in Sydney last week.

“I have had a few fitness coaches and I always expect too much and it didn’t come,” Kvitova says. “So I am trying not to expect too much and just taking my time, doing everything I can in practice and hopefully it will show in the match as well. But it takes a while.”

Kvitova looks in the best shape of her career and with so much power at her disposal, that can only bode well for her hopes here, where she is the fourth seed. “I feel better, for sure,” she says. “I think that I am quicker on the court, I know that I can catch more balls in rallies and my power on serve I think is better as well. I’m glad that I can play the tennis that I always wish to play.”

Kvitova has reached the semi-finals both here and in Paris but she’s also lost in the second round and first round here in the past two years. Capable of greatness, as she produced at Wimbledon last summer in crushing Eugenie Bouchard of Canada in the final, she is also likely to throw in the odd stinker, like last year when she lost to Thailand’s Luksika Kumkhum in round one.

Some players would struggle with that kind of inconsistency but Kvitova has clearly come to terms with it. “I think that’s just me,” she says. “It’s going to be like that, up and down probably, all my career. I will do everything I can [to be more consistent] but I think it’s good to have the big titles and then maybe lose first round, than play in the quarter-finals [all the time]. Sometimes it’s very disappointing to lose but in general I think it’s just better. It is how it is. Winning two Wimbledons is very nice, no matter what.”

That defeat to Kumkhum last year hurt badly, Kvitova said, but it may also have helped her dig deeper to find the form that won her another Wimbledon. “I think everything bad that happens can be good in a way, if you’re thinking about it after a while,” she says. “At the time it’s never easy, but all the things that didn’t go so well in the first part of the year, I took something positive and maybe thought about things differently.”

Her Sydney triumph showed the benefit of her fitness work and if she gets deep into the tournament, no one will want to see Kvitova on the other side of the net. “I am in good form,” she says. “I hope the confidence I had in the past few matches will pay off here.”
Really like the self assuredness that Petra has been displaying...seems like she might finally be in full command of that champion's swagger

#3,109 ·
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30482257

Petra Kvitova won her second Wimbledon title last summer and ended 2014 with Fed Cup victory as part of the Czech Republic team. The world number four will give monthly updates throughout 2015 in an exclusive column for BBC Sport, which begins in Melbourne at the Australian Open.
Certainly a new media angle from the PK camp - hope she is getting paid for this by the BBC - must be one of Katie's bright ideas for global exposure.
Certainly interesting insights that she values another Wimbledon GS rather than the #1 ranking....

#3,119 ·
When she feels confident then yes, when she doesn't she says only "yes" and "no". :lol: She's getting better and better as an interviewee lately. :) But overall, she has no problem talking and finding the right words in Czech from what I've seen. :cool:

#3,125 ·
:haha::haha::haha:This looks like it was written by Honza and a copy of one of his threads in GM - I am convinced he writes for the WTA or Stacey reads TF and asks for a copy of Honza's work.....

AO Notebook: Czechs Making Waves

Every day we'll be bringing you a daily notebook - food for thought on the first Grand Slam event of the year. Today, Honzaneumann describes the rise of the Czechs.

Published January 23, 2015 12:11
Petra Kvitova

MELBOURNE, Australia - For the third consecutive Grand Slam, the Czechs have placed four players - Petra Kvitova, Karolina Pliskova, Barbora Zahlavova Strycova and Lucie Hradecka - into the third round.

With a healthy dose of familiar faces, anchored by two-time Wimbledon champion Kvitova, and a fresh infusion of hard-charging talent, the Czechs have become a dominant player on the international stage in recent years, winning three of the last four Fed Cups and consistently making hay at the Slams.

If, as the saying goes, leadership is the key to 99 percent of all successful efforts, then the Czechs are in very good hands with the immensely talented Kvitova at the top of their power pyramid.

Not only is the 24-year-old southpaw a phenom that has come within a whisker of the World No.1 ranking, she is also a dedicated professional that is extremely loyal to the Czech flag and a diligent worker in all facets of her game.

In 2012, Kvitova was fresh off her first Wimbledon title at the Australian Open when she came up against Maria Sharapova in the semifinals, needing just two more wins for her second major title in less than a year and the coveted No.1 ranking. Kvitova would fall in heartbreaking fashion on that day, and regress a bit in the months to come, but to her credit, she has never ceased in her quest to return to the pinnacle of the sport.

With Li Na's former physiotherapist and fitness trainer, Alex Stober, helping her achieve newfound fitness in 2015, the menacing yet soft-spoken Kvitova appears to be on the cusp of another push up the rankings. Already pundits are clamoring, predicting that World No.4 Kvitova will finish the year at No.1.

Brad Gilbert told ESPN's television audience that Kvitova "looks 10 times fitter" this season, and says he feels that she'll definitely be in the hunt for No.1 by year's end. Ed McGrogan, senior editor at Tennis.com, boldly tweeted, "She will finish the year No.1," during her 6-2, 6-4 victory over Germany's Mona Barthel on Day 4.

Whether or not Kvitova finishes No.1 is not as important as the example she's setting for her fellow Czechs. Napoleon Bonaparte once said that a leader is a dealer in hope, and for rising Czech stars like Pliskova, hope springs eternal. All one needs to do is look at the dogged persistence with which Kvitova has transformed herself from a lanky, erratic talent into a finely tuned wrecking ball, and believe in the possibilities.

But let's not give Kvitova all the credit. The Czechs are on the verge of having four players in the Top 20 (Zahlavova Strycova is projected to reach No. 21 by making the third round, and would go higher by reaching the second week), and both Pliskova and Zahlavova Strycova appear poised to have breakouts in the days to come in Melbourne.

Pliskova, a 22-year-old with one of the livest arms in tennis, won two singles and three doubles titles in 2014. Already inside the Top 20, she could be her nation's next Top 10 player. Zahlavova Strycova is a cagey veteran who keeps getting better with age. The 28-year-old reached her first Grand Slam quarterfinal in her 33rd major appearance at Wimbledon last year, and has reached the third round in her last three majors.

Rounding out the Czech contingent is Hradecka, a hard-hitting former World No.41 who upset Ana Ivanovic in the first round after qualifying.

As is typically the case, it's not just Kvitova who is carrying the flag at this year's Australian Open. An extremely talented gang of Czech mates each shoulder a healthy share of the load.

#3,127 ·
Too cleanly written article in general, and upbeat on Kvitova for it to be Honza. :eek: :lol: :eek:

Of course they got the 2012 Sharapova match half wrong.

It was against Li Na at Sydney, where Petra could have advanced to the final and ended the year #1 if she won. However, as we all know; Petra DID have a "heartbreaking" loss to Sharapovoa in the 2012 Aussie Open, which certainly appeared to set her back for 2+ years.

Nonetheless, good article.