Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

376K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#2,273 ·
I'd imagine the mod or admin who deleted your posts was pretty fed up at being drawn into this spat and gave it as little of his or her attention as he or she could get away with in deciding that the forum rules were not on your side. If you want to be angry, be angry with the person who reported your posts. I have no more idea than you who that might be, which is to say we're both 99.99% sure we know who it was.

I wouldn't have reported your posts: I shocked myself once by reporting a post in another subforum and don't really want to go there again. But I can assure you that Bruce is not the only person who is sick of wading through outside-the-scope posts here about the sublimely uncharismatic Thomas Birdbrain.

Apologies in advance for this post, I'm sure we all value your non-Berdych stuff. I'll probably regret posting, but I can't bear to throw this away.

Oh G_d, I'm so slow. I think we can say 100% now.

#2,272 ·
Indeed,now that the useless B.S. has been eliminated(and that includes MY irrelevant post which mentioned another poster's voracious appetite for performing oral sex on male players;)),does anyone have any updates on Petra's plans for Brussels?

She's not on the latest entry list that I just checked but she'd be the #1 seed if she took a WC(IF it were offered).In one sense,it'd be nice to see her get some match rhythm for RG. OTOH,she'd get a lot less rest for RG if she went deep in Brussels.THAT'S where I'm not really sure how she would do;Petra didn't last too long in Madrid or Rome,so she got some rest due to being eliminated.Would that be enough for her to maintain her stamina at RG,or would she get worn out from not getting a full week of rest in any of the 3 weeks prior to RG??I suppose that it depends partly on her overall state of physical fitness,huh?

#2,283 ·
It's official. As of, May 20, Petra is again the best lefty female tennis player in the world :rocker:

1. Williams S. 11620
2. Sharapova M. 10015
3. Azarenka V. 9005
4. Radwanska A. 6475
5. Errani S. 5835

6. Li N. 5335
7. Kvitova P. 5175
8. Kerber A. 5135
9. Stosur S. 3645
10. Wozniacki C. 3625
This draw is a joke :rolleyes: and Petra doesn't have to be ahead of Kerber in the rankings to be the best lefty. ;) :wavey:

#2,295 ·
For those who are interested here is a little interview that Petra granted to me :)

The lovely Czech player Petra Kvitova, who is currently playing the second Grand Slam of the year in Paris, has kindly taken some of her time to answer few questions for this blog about the first part of her season, Roland Garros and Paris.

How do you judge the first part of your season ?

You know that I didn’t start pretty well in Australia, I had quite a tough month there. It wasn’t nice for me for sure. Normally I’m playing well in Australia and not this year and it was quite tough to still believe in myself. I tried to build the confidence again and it’s something that takes a lot of nerves and feelings in my minds and then I... Read more →

#2,297 ·
Nice short interview indeed! :) :worship:

#2,301 ·
Those frenchies really know how to write politely about the match and players :haha:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2013-05-29/201305291369827705885.html

No.7 seed Petra Kvitova certainly did not have things her own way, edging out French wild card Aravane Rezai 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 in a match that was far from easy to watch.

The 2011 Wimbledon champion was cruising in the early going only to falter when serving for the set. Rezai broke back 3-5, but Kvitova then broke again to take the set. That should have signalled a comfortable victory for the Fed Cup winner, but her opponent was determined to make the most of an hour or two on a show-court – something that once was par for the course but is now becoming an increasingly rare commodity.

Rezai is a far cry from the player who won the Madrid WTA Premier tournament in 2010. She is suffering from a hormonal disorder which is best treated by drugs which are banned in tennis and has plummeted to No.185 in the world. She currently has no coach and is battling with weight problems and confidence issues. And somehow she managed to put all this behind her in the second, breaking early, surviving a break-back and concluding with four games in a row to level the match and break to open the third.

With neither player serving as they would like or moving around the heavy court with any fluidity, the match was a staccato one. Rezai tried to conserve the initiative but the scoreline soon proved too good to be true. As the Frenchwoman tired, Kvitova took the match in hand and stumbled, rather than cruised home.

The big-hitting Czech made the semi-finals here last year, but on current form she will have her work cut out if she is to defend those points against opponents with more clay-court skills and better movement as the tournament progresses.

#2,302 ·
#2,310 ·
Was unaware that Petra was teaming up with Magda in doubles(in re Jack's post in the Twitter thread).Petra's doubles results are usually so modest that I don't expect too much from them.I'm content when Petra does well in Singles but,if she ever DOES get better at Dubs(especially to the end that she wins titles),then more power to her

#2,312 · (Edited)
I don't know if the two girls are teaming up in doubles but they seemed to have fun while they were waiting for their matches. :)

EDIT:
Katie Spellman ‏@Spellman_Katie 1h
Pojd! RT @rolandgarros: Watch @Petra_Kvitova answer @patporada's Q: What do you yell after winning a point? #RG13 https://vine.co/v/bYdMBalPupX
Funny Petra explaining what is she yelling after winning a point. :) :lol: :hearts:

#2,331 ·
Coming soon to Petra's Video Thread: Petra interviewed on the 'Road to RG'.They seem to have eliminated the cheesy,'Which ATP player would you like to have sex with' question this year...a good idea,as it marketed the players as easy sluts.Some of them ARE like that,of course,but it's nice for those who AREN'T,like Petra,that the questions have,so far this year,been of the standard and not the crass variety

#2,332 ·
Coming soon to Petra's Video Thread: Petra interviewed on the 'Road to RG'.They seem to have eliminated the cheesy,'Which ATP player would you like to have sex with' question this year...a good idea,as it marketed the players as easy sluts.Some of them ARE like that,of course,but it's nice for those who AREN'T,like Petra,that the questions have,so far this year,been of the standard and not the crass variety
It's already there. ;) :rolleyes:

#2,333 ·
Fair summary of current season: http://www.tennisnow.com/News/What-Now,-Petra-Kvitova.aspx

Some quotes about the serve:
While Kvitova's big groundstrokes are a key part of her game, it is her big lefty serve that is the cornerstone of it. And the cracks in that once-formidable weapon are starting to show this season. Kvitova of late has changed her service motion, which now has her moving her arms more up during the toss. It is a subtle difference, but perhaps one she has introduced to curb the staggering amount of double faults she's racked up so far.

Of all the players in the current WTA top 10, Kvitova, as of this week, has hit a whopping 200 double faults. Maria Sharapova is not far behind with 193. World No.1 Serena Williams, who likes to go for it on her serve, has committed a somewhat paltry 93 in total. Those double faults from Kvitova make players less afraid of her serve and give them more confidence in their return games.

Let's hope the total DFs number was influenced by her arm injury and Petra will improve the 1st serve from now on:scratch:

#2,334 ·
Catching Up with Kvitova
Today, I’m spending time with one of my favorite players, Petra Kvitova—also known, to the spectators who wander past her match with Monica Niculescu on Court 2, as, “Is that the girl who won Wimbledon?” Or, alternatively and more damningly, “She isn’t the girl who won Wimbledon, is she?” The latter was overheard as the Czech frames a forehand out of Devonshire Park.

The answer to that question is, of course, yes—and then again, no. When Kvitova opens the match by racing to a 4-0 lead, peeling off winner after winner in glorious succession, she looks exactly like the 21-year-old who marched straight to the Wimbledon title two years ago, the player who neither Victoria Azarenka nor Maria Sharapova could slow down for more than a moment, whose big lefty forehand and distinctive celebratory yelp instantly became famous.

On the other hand, when Kvitova is broken in a welter of unforced errors and has to toil mightily to get the ball inside the lines before finally closing out the first set, 6-4, she looks like the woman who’s struggled to match that success ever since, suffering some surprising, even inexplicable, defeats. Part of that, of course, has to do with Niculescu, whose game is predicated upon getting a lot of balls back and making life as difficult for her opponents as possible.

In that sense, it’s a good win for Kvitova, better than Niculescu’s ranking of No. 49 would suggest. It’s also worth keeping in mind that today saw Tamira Paszek, the defending champion and a quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, retire against Caroline Wozniacki with a left thigh injury, and Agnieszka Radwanska, another former champion and last year’s Wimbledon finalist, beaten by qualifier Jamie Hampton. Backing up one’s achievements is no easy matter in today’s WTA.

“It’s something that I really want—to be there again.” That’s how Kvitova summarizes her feelings when I ask her about Wimbledon during our one-on-one sit-down after the match, and it’s clear that she means more than just playing the tournament. She wants to play like that again; she wants to win. Borrowing my phrase of “ups and downs” to describe her season so far—she won the title in Doha, but has struggled to make much of an impression apart from that, and lost early in Paris and Melbourne—she acknowledges that it’s been “disappointing,” but adds: “…this is the tennis. It’s some[thing] I have to learn.”

Actually, she says “t’s some what I have to learn.” Kvitova’s English has improved a lot (and it’s certainly miles ahead of my grasp of any language other than my own), but it can still be a barrier, such as when I ask her how she feels about male players who criticize equal prize money, She loses herself in a spate of mangled clauses from which it’s impossible to extract a quote, but she still makes her opinion clear: “This is the men,” she shrugs, and laughs.

In fact, Kvitova laughs several times during our conversation—and so do I. She’s funny, in a dry way that hasn’t come across to me before, in little bursts before she settles to the serious business of trying to provide an answer to my questions. When I ask her what it means to her that the WTA is celebrating its 40th anniversary and how she feels about the legendary players who have made women’s tennis is as great as it is, she jokes, “Like me, you mean?” before describing it as “an honor” to be part of the occasion.

Perhaps if we saw more of this Petra, relaxed and amusing, there would be fewer confused spectators trying to figure out who she is. The struggle for players to let the softer, more fun aspects of their personality out for the world to see is a familiar one; Andy Murray’s gradual media evolution comes to mind, as does the recent wholehearted adoption of Twitter by Kvitova’s compatriot and sometime training partner, Tomas Berdych. I ask Kvitova—who is a Tweeter, although a less prolific one than Berdych—if there’s something about who she is as a person that she wished was more generally known. “I think everyone has a personality that they’re trying to show on [the] social networks,” Kvitova says vaguely, and adds, “But sometimes it’s quite tough and hard to open more to the people.” She doesn’t read comments directed to her on Twitter any more, not for about three years, because of the kinds of things that people said. Did it used to upset her? “Sometimes, yes.”

Not all online opinion about Kvitova is unpleasant, though. It was a commenter on this website who coined for Kvitova one of my favorite nicknames of all time, ‘del Petra’, because of the resemblance her big game and placid demeanor bears to a certain Argentine pro. Like Juan Martin del Potro—also a Grand Slam champion who hasn’t yet managed to repeat—the key to Kvitova’s game on this surface is to get low to the ball. Unlike del Potro, she’s played her best tennis on grass.

In the second set against Niculescu, which she wins 6-1, Kvitova starts coming to the net a lot more, slicing beautifully and making delicate drop volleys, managing to outfox the Romanian and, on one memorable occasion, best her in an exchange of reflex volleys. Afterwards, she says with a smile that she’s been practicing volleys so much that “I’m glad that I was there [at the net].”

Like everything Kvitova does, when it works it takes your breath away; when it fails to work, it does so to a degree that makes you wonder how it ever would. It’s a strange alchemy, and I get the sense it’s a mystery she’s still exploring herself. But if it is all going to come together again, there’s no better nor more likely setting for it to do so than on the lawns of Wimbledon.

TENNIS.COM Article by Hannah Wilks

Nice article about Petra on tennis.com? that's a rarity:lol:

#2,342 ·
Hope it's not true, but fear it is. Haven't seen Adam in a long time, and Radek never has any positive effect on girlfriends' tennis.

#2,347 ·
Well, we can't know what effect it could have, but we already know what is the effect of ending the relationship and being alone (past few months). ;)
The only thing I don't trust this is the timing. Knowing how honest Petra is, I don't think she would date a man who just god divorced. On the other hand, a relationship is not everytime something you can plan. :rolleyes:

Well,let's hope that Petra has better judgment than that;Stepanek is a Sewer Turd,the kind of guy who'd sleep with a 12- or 13-year-old if her breasts were fully developed...and then he'd pretend that he didn't know how old she was even if he knew the girl's parents.

I understand where some of you might say that we can distinguish sports from personal lives,and that's true in most cases,but you have to be able to respect someone as a person before you can cheer for him/her.

I remember an NFL game a few years back when a star player ON MY FAVORITE TEAM spit in an opponent's face w/o any sort of provocation.The referees swallowed their whistles when that opponent retaliated by drilling the jerk in the face with an excellent punch...and then the one who spit was ejected.A few of his teammates were about to intervene when they saw the punch,but the ones who'd been standing closer held them back,as if to say,'Naw,FORGET him!He spit in dude's face,he deserved to get popped!' It was a case where justice didn't follow the letter of the law/rules,and I was glad when the asshole got smacked

In sum,I'm more than happy to support Petra even if she underachieves on court for the next 5 years,but she has to at least carry herself in an honorable way--that's not much to ask:shrug:
I don't like when somebody is insulting my favorite player, especially when somebody makes up totally sick charges which are hardly close to the truth. :rolleyes:
P.S.: I totally haven't understand why have you had written the whole 3rd paragraph, I guess I'm missing the connection to what we are discussing? :rolleyes: :confused:

What is in her mind?
Well, that is the greatest question of all time - "What do women think about?" :lol: :) I guess, only they know. ;)

#2,345 ·
Well,let's hope that Petra has better judgment than that;Stepanek is a Sewer Turd,the kind of guy who'd sleep with a 12- or 13-year-old if her breasts were fully developed...and then he'd pretend that he didn't know how old she was even if he knew the girl's parents.

I understand where some of you might say that we can distinguish sports from personal lives,and that's true in most cases,but you have to be able to respect someone as a person before you can cheer for him/her.

I remember an NFL game a few years back when a star player ON MY FAVORITE TEAM spit in an opponent's face w/o any sort of provocation.The referees swallowed their whistles when that opponent retaliated by drilling the jerk in the face with an excellent punch...and then the one who spit was ejected.A few of his teammates were about to intervene when they saw the punch,but the ones who'd been standing closer held them back,as if to say,'Naw,FORGET him!He spit in dude's face,he deserved to get popped!' It was a case where justice didn't follow the letter of the law/rules,and I was glad when the asshole got smacked

In sum,I'm more than happy to support Petra even if she underachieves on court for the next 5 years,but she has to at least carry herself in an honorable way--that's not much to ask:shrug:

#2,357 ·
Hope this mess won't take the rest of her concentration from her. :rolleyes: :(