Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

376K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#570 ·
The 6-time grand slam champ Boris Becker today in Prague, making comments on Petra while participating in a pocker tournament:

"Like in tennis, it is not the first, but the last ace that matters. You need to be bluffing, using body language and that's what I like," said Becker, comparing poker with tennis.

The 3-time Wimbledon champ continues to follow tennis very closely and admires Petra Kvitová. "She is humble. She is not an arrogant starlet and will be world No. 1. She plays hard and is a lefty like me," added Becker, praising the Czech tennis player.

Short video: http://tn.nova.cz/sport/ostatni-sporty/video-tenisova-legenda-becker-v-praze-kvuli-pokeru.html

#571 ·
WTF? Becker a lefty??

#573 ·
Laureus Sportswoman Award :cheer: But I think she should get the breakthrough award more (is there any award of this?). her results are not too consistent to be Sportswoman of the Year, plus she isn't the #1, so it won't work well for her.:( But hopefully the former tennis players committee members will still help her.:cheer:

#574 ·
Yeah.

That's nice, right?

Because of the years of Yani (the Golfer) and another player who's name escapes me, I don't expect Petra to win for this season. I would like to see her make the final six though. As I mentioned, she could make a better case for herself (to make that final six), if she includes the Fed Cup victory in her Bio, and plays on what a miraculous season she had this year, with 3 different major titles. Hopefully, she'll have other chances in the following years with this award.

What I found interesting/ironic (especially in light of the 750+ #1 ranked Player GM thread, with many of her Stans telling TF she had the best year), was that Petra was chosen as the SOLE WTA representative. Makes sense to me. But it's just crazy how some other folks (who will remain nameless) live in a totally different world, when it comes to evaluating who actually had the best season. That was the reason why the thread got so long in the first place. Lol

Go Figure? SMH

#576 ·
Didn't go back and re-read all the posts,and I don't remember how long the Laureus Awards have been around....I certainly don't recall hearing about them when I was a kid

Anyway,I'll be happy for Petra if she wins but it won't seem so terrible if she DOESN'T...unless she has mentioned the award as one of her main career goals...which is hard to imagine.Petra will continue to get plenty of recognition for her tennis accomplishments,and she'll earn that just as she did this season:)

#577 ·
As another WTA season ends and another one fast-approaches, skysports.com caught up with a few of the stars of the tour to see how they relax during the 'off-season'.

Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova

Q: Have you managed to relax and enjoy some time off?

PK: It was really tough for me first the week after the Fed Cup Final as I had a lot of social duties, photo shoots and official dates with some VIPs, sponsors and even with the Czech prime minister. The following week I was with my boyfriend, Adam (Pavlasek), for his last tournament of the season as "his coach" - he was with me as a coach in Linz where I won. He managed to reach the semi-finals and jumped more than 400 places in the rankings - now already under 1000 in ATP Rankings - so we have had good success "coaching" each other! And last week we went for a short relaxing holiday in an Austrian Spa because I did not want even to hear about flying anywhere.

Q: You must be in the middle of your pre-season training by now, can you tell me about your daily regime?

PK: After a TV music award event on November 27, I left for the new season preparation in the mountains - High Tatras in Slovakia - where we started on Sunday morning with high altitude training - climbing, running, gym, massage, stretching etc. It means starting every morning and finishing late afternoon and after dinner I just fall into bed to relax and sleep to be ready to start again the next morning with the same routine. The whole body suffers, but I like it...

Q: What other activities, aside from tennis, have you been doing?

PK: I will not touch my rackets at least till next week when we start slowly with my coach to combine high altitude preparation and the first touch and feeling of new racket and balls. We are also playing a lot of different games with balls like basketball, volleyball, football tennis - a special game where a small ball is played over low net by legs/feet and head etc.

Q: What are you most looking forward to about the 2012 season?

PK: To prove that I am able to play at a high level during the whole season with concentration on Wimbledon and Olympics - it is something special for me as you can have it only once in your lifetime - plus I get to play on grass within one month at the place which I love so much!
Source: http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12111/7364872/Here-come-the-girls

#578 ·
Q: What are you most looking forward to about the 2012 season?

PK: To prove that I am able to play at a high level during the whole season with concentration on Wimbledon and Olympics - it is something special for me as you can have it only once in your lifetime - plus I get to play on grass within one month at the place which I love so much!
Wow!

I love that answer.

I can hear/feel the defiance and simultaneous warm, fuzzy feelings and outlook!!

I'm all for a Golden Slam (and more tier 1, premier wins)!!

Go Petra.

I hope coaching your "Ahem" boyfriend, showed you a different perspective on the game, as well?

Thanks Yazoo.

#579 ·
Well,Petra,your bf is doing a much better job of coaching than YOU are:lol:,considering that YOU are a Slam champ who's about to crack #1 and your bf has merely broken the top 1000 in the weak-ass ATP.......which basically has three worthy players and a bunch of punk swishes who serve as crash-test dummies/bitches for that lonely trio of champions...but,still,good luck to both of you,Petra:hatoff:

#582 ·
We are also playing a lot of different games with balls like basketball, volleyball, football tennis - a special game where a small ball is played over low net by legs/feet and head etc.
This game is immensely popular in CZ and Wikipedia even says that the first-ever match was played in 1922 in Prague. We call it "nohejbal"("noha" = "foot")

It's a lot of fun, but it is very rarely played by women. Thus, it's kind of interesting that Petra plays it. It must be much more difficult with a tennis ball!

#589 ·
http://www.futnet.eu/about-futnet/
Futnet is a ball game with almost 100 years of tradition which combines speed, precision, technical skill and strategy. It is a sport with its own identity, own rules and players, though in many countries it is still regarded only as a complement to football practice. It is a popular recreational as well as competition activity in many parts of Europe, above all Czech Republic, France, Slovakia, Switzerland, Romania, Hungary, etc., and it is gradually gaining popularity also outside the old continent.

Futnet is a sport for all as demonstrated by the different competition categories: men, women, juniors (aged 16 – 18), youngsters (aged 13 – 15), children (aged up to 12). Very popular are also tournaments for veterans.

#583 ·
It looks like it would totally give you ripped legs. Of course, Petra has the nicest pair on the WTA tour.

#585 ·
I want Petra to absolutely demolish WTA next year! WTA bitches need to be punished! :lol:

#592 ·
I think that picture might be from fed cup weekend in belgium. Petra and Bara were teammates :)

#597 ·
Schedule for the Hopton Cup is out.

http://hopmancup.com/Teams-Schedule/Match-Schedule.html

Kvitova plays:

Monday 2 January - Pironkadonk
Wednesday 4 January - Trashtek
Friday 6 January - Wozniacka
Saturday 7 January - final against either Cake, AMG, Na Li or Jarka.

Maybe someone should open a new thread about 2012 to post this?

#611 ·
#614 ·
It's polite of Petra to say that...but really...she already knew that she was POTY in other votes so it's a little anticlimactic for the ITF to announce these decisions now--so close to Christmas--with the 2012 season just around the corner......Still,if she truly enjoyed getting that award,all the better

#621 ·
18 DEC Prostějov –Sparta 10:00
19 DEC Prostějov - Neride (probably) 10:00
20 DEC Final 10:00
21 DEC Czech sport awards 21:00
22 DEC Czech Tennis player of the year 17:30
27 DEC Flight to Australia

Group A
Prostějov – Kvitová, Hantuchová, Šafářová, Cetkovská, Berdych ,Mayer,Seppi , Stakhovskyy, Nieminen
(Wozniacki is not probable)
Sparta – Zakopalová, Záhlavová-Strýcová , Štěpánek, Dodig
Neride – Birnerova, Hlaváčková, Kubot ,Karol Beck

Group B
CLTK – Benesova, Hradecka, Krajicek, Karolina Pliskova, Melzer,Petzschner, Hernych, Minář
Přerov – Niculescu,Voráčová Trocki, Rosol, Istomin, Kukuskin
Liberec – Pironkova, Mayr-Achleitner, Pivovarova
Olymp – Sevastova, Kristina Pliskova

Note 1 „love“ article : nothing interesting, written for women section
Note 2 soccer fan (and motorbike fan),that is interesting

#622 ·
LOL, Prostejov team is so ridiculously stacked.

#627 ·
Petra Speaks!: Poses For Chic Photos, Denounces New Book, etc.

Posted this on GM already; cause this is a current headline on Tennis.com

Seems like Petra Kvitova, the Greta Garbo of the WTA, all of a sudden has a lot to say (or now the American media is paying more attention to what she has to say to the Czech press, as the new season draws near, for a story). Hard to know how bad she criticized the new unauthorized biography, cause the translation wasn't the best. Czech members? Come Clean please? How bad is this? Lol

Petra Kvitova poses for chic photos, denounces new book
- Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Petra Kvitova Suffice it to say, Petra Kvitova is relentless.

The Czech sensation and world No. 2, within range of a top-spot take down in early 2012, was recently anointed—as if there was any doubt—this year's ITF world champion in women's tennis. She also has a glamorous photo spread in a native publication, iSport. Everything is illuminated: See her well-lit shots here. For those who have wanted to see the no-frills girl sporting various caps and vests, bags and dresses, this gallery's for you.

Kvitova, unaffected as ever, had this to say: "This photo shoot for me was new and I must say that I thought it was pretty tired." She noted that the five-hour shoot, including makeup and hair, took longer than a tennis match. It took place in November and put Kvitova in a new collection of dresses from designer Steilmann. Honest to a fault, Kvitova said, "It does not seem it, but to hold some poses and set [oneself] as a photographer wants is quite challenging. I must say that the role of tennis players I like more than the role of models."

We're not so sure the poses are as "seductive!" as the Czech pub claims, but the piece serves to shed some more light on Kvitova's mindset on fame and the accoutrements that go with her wham-bam success in 2011. The "Lightning Lioness of Fulnek" (her hometown), who is coming around to her good fortune, remains grounded: "I still prefer to wear jeans, T-shirt and sweatshirt, but I must say that I've got rather more elegant fashion [now]."

Kvitova also took to task those behind a new biography on her life. Her Facebook page had this roughly translated, subtly funny statement: "Watch out, as a Christmas present we do not recommend this book! ... [T]he book Queen Jane was created without any cooperation with Petra Kvitova and any of [her] managerial and team or family. ... 'My own high-quality original ... biography will have to my fans still wait a few years! ... I still have enough time. Before that book I'm warning because I don't want my fans ... disappointed ... and then get to the information that they have the correct memoirs contain. The issue is but a few years time, I haven't thought about it...'"

Photo shoots and publishing drama aside, it doesn't seem a question of "if" but rather "when" she will ascend to the WTA's throne. In doing so, Kvitova will relieve those forever kvetching about Wozniacki'

href='http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Caroline+Wozniacki' target='_top' >Caroline Wozniacki's fiendishly consistent and yet Slam-less ways. What do you say, No. 1 with a bullet forehand by March?

—Jonathan Scott (@jonscott9)

#632 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rennae Stubbs is a phony blabbermouth who might be very jealous not only of more-respected Singles champs like Petra...but also the cold,hard truth that all her Dubs titles will be forgotten by hordes of casual fans who'll more easily remember title-less Cover Girls.She seems to hope that,if she uses enough words,she'll be considered special by virtue of sheer volume......Fortunately,Petra doesn't need her dog-faced affirmation

#634 ·
Was meaning to say this earlier but forgot....Petra shouldn't waste her time making negative declarations such that her bf isn't after her fame and money.It's an undeniable fact that he was with her when she was still unknown to many casual tennis fans,so there's no intelligent reason for anyone to assert that he's a golddigger...which means that Petra,by her own words,is almost creating a story that doesn't exist.She shouldn't expend any energy defending her bf if no one with common sense is attacking him.There'll always be at least some haters,Petra;as long as they physically keep their distance,don't sweat those bastards