Are tennis players too Primadonnary? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #46
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of
Re: Are tennis players too Primadonnary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post
The difference with Golf, is that the caddies actually has a job to assist the player, while as the ball kids job is to collect the balls and pass them to the server. The ball kids then have to hold umbrellas, hold and deliver towels, bring water to the players, fetch racquets, only pass the ball to the server from one particular side.

Golf is a slow paced sport, while as tennis is a fast paced sport, yet we must get a million rituals out of the everytime a point is about to be played.

I just don't think there is a sport out there, that at the top end has so many unashamed spoilt little divas!

Is there a brochure of ball kids' job description or what? I don't think it's necessary to be fixed.

Anyway, a secretary's official job description doesn't include making coffees or fetching dry cleanings for the boss, but they have to do those a lot actually. That's the real world, efficiency triumphs over equality in many areas, take it or leave it. At least in tennis, these so called primadonnary stuff are far less obnoxious than sportsmanship or shrieking issues. The saving of players' time and energy (maybe just subtlest) could help with the match, not the opposite. So far as I know, no ball kids or event organizers have ever complaint about these issues, and many kids/parents are still eagerly applying for this job out there. Since they don't have a problem themselves, why don't we spectators just sit back and enjoy the match?

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #47
country flag Crater718

Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post

But yeah, I've sat here many times wondering why it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r just to serve a ball.
Ya sit there and watch the player curse under their breath after missing a point; glare at their camp for empathy; mutter more unheard profanities; then play with their hair or adjust their outfit; all before demanding another ball from the ballboys/girls...and THEN going through some ridiculous pre-service ritual.
And they do this repeatedly!

I'm waiting for a player to take out candles and incense and start yodeling before serving.
Don't laugh, cuz someday it'll happen.
You could read threads on TF in between serves!

Sharapova and (I hate to say this) Venus is good for above...

Last edited by Crater718 : Feb 15th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Crater718 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #48
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendof View Post
Don't really care about the topic, but the OP has really got some writing skills. Great style and flow, I must say.
the great sgt. timmykinz is the absolute truth!!!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #49
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post
They get waited on hand and foot by the ball kids (how many other sports does this happen?) and its pretty awkward viewing watching them go through their routines. They sometimes look so ridiculous. Its a problem on both the mens and womens side but it is absolutely crazy from a sports fan point of view. Take this senario for example:

A player sits in her chair and asks a ball kid to fetch her a bottle of water from the fridge that is only a metre away from her chair. She sits their glaring at a mystery figure sitting in front of her, the umpire calls time, she waits a beat before standing, facing the chair and ever so carefully wipes her face and in her own time picks up her racquet and makes her way to the base line. On the way to the service line she avoids stepping on any lines causing her to take a convoluted walk to the back of the court. She faces the back wall and plays with her racquet, even though she has just had a break at the change of ends, she then looks up towards the eager ball kids to demand that the balls only come to her from one side, delaying play even further the ball kids must now transfer the balls over to the otherside. The player only needing two balls asks for three and tosses aside one after careful consideration (though if they have to retake the first serve they accept any ball given to them). Said player looks up an opponent and glares, dilligently tucks invisible hair strands behind ear, bounces ball a couple of times, looks up again and glares, tosses ball into the air and catches it because it wasn't right. The last few steps are repeated and point is finally played. After the point there is a fist pump, and a stare down and then the routine starts again. God forbid they lose the point as you then get the glare directed at their helpless camp.

This is just one of a million senarios played out over every match, several times. Why are the players so pampered? Is there another sport full of such spoilt brats?
gosh i love you.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #50
country flag Povin
postcyber

Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future

Women's tennis is. Look at Sharapova and Serena's death stares. It seems like they are in movies and act so hard. Sometimes it's cheesy though.
Povin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #51
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Jo Durie saying last year while commentating that there used to be a sign in the Wimbledon locker room (may still be) which read something like Please note that the ball boys and ball girls are not your slaves. Their job is to retrieve tennis balls. If they fetch a towel for you or pass you a drink they do it as a courtesy. Please remember this and treat them with respect. Perhaps that's a message that needs to be drummed into players at the start of each season.

Worth noting that when Steffi Graf needed a towel mid game she trotted over to her chair, quickly toweled down and trotted back again. Not sure I'd want to see all players being required to do that, Nadal is slow enough already. But I do think that behaviour like this should carry an automatic code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct:

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #52
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Fans like the five hour matches because it makes them think they are seeing something important
King Halep is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #53
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povin View Post
Women's tennis is. Look at Sharapova and Serena's death stares. It seems like they are in movies and act so hard. Sometimes it's cheesy though.
Vika comes over rather contrived herself .

Anyway, agreed on the towel thing, and the ball from one side as being silly. But I don't think it's so bad to hold umbrellas or get drinks for the players. At least they're not handling sweat then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
But I do think that behaviour like this should carry an automatic code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct:

Ew.

I also remember Miami '09, Federer was so pissed he was playing so badly against Djokovic (SF I think) one changeover he was drinking and throwing the empty bottles over his shoulder for the ballboys to pick up . That was pretty uncool too.

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #54
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they are. Don't you know? Tennis is a posh game for spoiled rich white people
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote