Tennis Forum banner

Mona Barthel News & Opinion

64K views 499 replies 46 participants last post by  popinjay 
#1 ·
Copypaste all the pieces you find here (that way they remain available even if they disappear elsewhere ;)

#2 ·
Fed-Cup: Tension between Rittner and Barthel?

(Translation of Markus Fischer's original: "Fed-Cup: Dicke Luft zwischen Rittner und Barthel?" http://www.wtatennis.de/fed-cup-dicke-luft-zwischen-rittner-und-barthel 18 Jan. 2013)

Today's Fed Cup nomination fell out exactly as they had predicted a few days ago. After we had been there, dealt extensively with the issue, it should fit up to the beginning of the game. But one of Personnel makes us as a surprisingly thwarted. Actually Sabine Lisicki should not belong to the team. Barbara Rittner wanted Mona Barthel first give preference to these, however, have reportedly canceled in view of their individual careers of the national coach. After Barthel only this week the "Mona Slam" and completed in Melbourne for the fourth consecutive time at a Grand Slam tournament failed in Round 1, you can empathize with this decision. For Barthel had better work on her mental weakness, which it owes to the defeats against Wickmayer and Pervak ​​this year than two days to go stale stupid on a bench.

Basically you have to commend Barbara Rittner that they finally time wanted to nominate a player not yet considered. To play a huff, as one can gather from the press, they have not yet because of the cancellation. Finally, use the free week Barthel wants to improve their game. And even better for Rittner Barthel could be more valuable in the future than the currently mentally weak German No. 3 "I respect and accept Mona's decision, but I can understand them not. I am proud that the other girls think differently." Rittner is cited. But what can you please not understand that? Fact in the German Fed Cup team is yet, the quartet consists among Rittner long from Kerber, Petkovic, Goerges and Grönefeld. And until a failure of the four injured, is where not even shaken, regardless of their actual performance. Logically enough, because at least three of the four players in the Fed Cup wired differently. And with Lisicki Rittner will have already negotiated what. Just imagine what would have happened if it were not for their proper consideration to the team also stayed away.

It is striking, therefore, that of all Lisicki had to give way for Barthel. Kerber and Görges that are set, explains the knockout collection of Melbourne. And Anna-Lena Groenefeld has - for whatever reason - a free pass. Sometimes you wonder, help whether this has actually still sporting reasons or whether Grönefeld perhaps of which all just most alcohol tolerate and thus highly praised the positive atmosphere in the team, which is led by Rittner and over again (and 2012, losing two earned), may.

Therefore Barthel knew exactly when she learned of her nomination, she has to thank for this is primarily the violation of Andrea Petkovic and not their own performance. And as a tennis professional Barthel has something to do better than playing the stopgap, especially after it was last year against Australia not considered at that time as the best German 2012th Given that played Kerber Petkovic, Goerges and equipped with the continuous subscription Grönefeld - Rittner just darlings.

Thanks for Barthel showed few days after the German descent in the same place, among others, to the dismantling of Marion Bartoli, the error Rittner had committed their non nomination. Since the child was, however, dropped out of the bottle. What she is now a year later, face the music, which you do not let them land in the soup? There are things that are far more important than a Fed Cup match against France B team. Or the Fed Cup at all. And the beautiful are now grappling the other.

#5 ·
This is what Errani said about Mona and today's final:

"Mona serves so well, plays so well from the baseline and physically moves so well - I just couldn't beat her today," Errani said. "I usually like to have more time to place the ball where I want but I was on a limit today, particularly on my serve. I tried my best, but she was just unbeatable today."
If you read this the comments of Errani about Mona's TOP 10 chances don't appear shady anymore.

#6 ·
A little interview after Mona's victory with lequipe.fr (translated by google):
Barthel: "I did not expect it"

Smiling Mona Barthel not getting carried away after his triumph at the Open GDF Suez on Sunday. "I do not expect anything special from me," she says. An attitude that contrasts with the displayed great confidence on the court.

"Mona Barthel, 2013 is only the second season where you play exclusively on the WTA tour (before she progressed far on ITF tournaments, the" second division "). You expect you to win here?

No, I did not expect to win this tournament. I really enjoyed the matches one after the other. I was already happy to win my first round, then the second, and I found myself in the final against Sara Errani, the seeded one (smile). I knew it would be difficult, she managed an incredible year in 2012. He had to win this match, she did not give me anything. I had my chance and I took it.

It is always difficult to find, especially in a tournament of this category (WTA Premier) ...

Yes. I was leading a set and 5-2. I knew she would fight on every point and it would be difficult to end. I'm a little tense, it was my first final in a tournament of this magnitude but I really tried to play point by point and focus on my game I was happy to win the tiebreak but even if I lost, I kept all my chances. But hey, it was still better to go in straight sets (smile).

Win the title by beating two players in the Top 10 in passing (Marion Bartoli, Sara Errani) should give you some ideas ...

This is a great success. I made a very good start to the season with a half in Auckland, Hobart and a final title here in a month. I grew a lot, I'm more aggressive and I stored the confidence and experience. Last year, I could lose the final. I do not expect anything special from me. If I continue like this, I can do a good season but we never know what can happen ... It is not easy. I hope I did not hurt myself and keep going trying to be more relaxed. We'll see where it takes me.

Whatever your opponent, you never seem to hesitate on the court. Is this one of the keys to your success?

The hesitation you nowhere. I just believe in me, I think I can win the point and I focus on it. There is no secret. This is the most important. You go on the field and you believe in yourself, in your game, you think you can beat the player who is on the other side of the net. Last year, I did a lot of matches against great players and it gave me a lot of confidence. I know that if I'm on a good day, I can beat them. "

#7 ·
An article from the french magazine sport24.com (translated from french into english by google):
Mona Barthel reigns in Paris

Mona Barthel caused surprise by winning the Open GDF Suez to Pierre de Coubertin Stadium, winning in the final against Sara Errani 7-5, 7-6 (4).

It was the week of Mona Barthel Coubertin. Not only the German, 45th World dominated Sunday the two sets seeded number one in the final, but she had previously eliminated Marion Bartoli, another player listed among the top 10 worldwide. "When we arrived here, we did not expect that I won the tournament, she observes. But I took lap after lap, hoping each time. "

A change of coach pays off
In the final against Sara Errani, Mona Barthel was not intimidated by the fact that the Italian has managed to come back from 5-2 to 6-6. "I was a little nervous, she confesses. It was my first final in a tournament as big and she made things a little difficult at the end."In 22 years, the German played only his second season on the WTA Tour and is progressing at full speed. It is especially part of a recent change in his team, since it is driven by his mother, but by Jacek Szygowski: "It was time that I looked for a coach because it's nice to have a new look, she says. We met here for the first time. And for the first time, we can say that it works well!"

On the road to winning the second tournament in his career, Mona Barthel, also the executioner of Kristina Mladenovic in the semifinals. French girl has not blown least a nice breath of fresh air on the Paris tournament. Holds a wild card, hope 19 years worked his way up to the last square, beating the two players are among the top twenty worldwide. "With my team, we gradually built every day, said" Kiki ". Early in the season, I said that I wanted to finish the year in the top 50 and I dreamed of being in the top 20. If it continues like this, why not? "Retained by the new captain Amélie Mauresmo, Mladenovic is part of the team of France Fed Cup play Germany in Limoges, 9 and 10 February.

#8 ·
5.2.: Back in real life! This morning at 8:00 dentist appointment, 11:00 practice. Outside there is snow, afraid that the car (I still have no car, and still using the elderly smart roadster of my mother) starts in the cold. Lucky ...... The day today is in big contrast to the day before yesterday in Paris, playing in front of this super audience, the great atmosphere at the center court, winning such a big tennis tournament. Everything was so overwhelming. When I returned to my hotel room, a bottle champaign was waiting for me, a gift from the hotel management.....
:lol: That somehow is pretty typical for Mona.

#14 ·
This is what Laurie's Tennis Articles wrote about the final:
So, the final would be an intriguing clash of tennis philosophy and style of play. In the semifinals, Barthel was able to dispatch Mladenovic with some ease and Errani capitalised on Bertens’ retirement. The first few games of the final were very tight with both players feeling each other out; the pattern was established quite early, serve vs return of serve in traditional fashion. Barthel was getting to net at every opportunity, even throwing in the odd serve and volley, while Errani was continually serving to Barthel’s forehand on the deuce court, keeping her at bay for fear of being attacked by serving weak serves into Barthel’s hitting zone.

Barthel got the first break to serve for the set at 5-3 but got nervous and Errani came back as she so often does. However, after a tough service game at 5-5, Barthel broke Errani who was serving to stay in the set, and so claimed it 7-5. Errani held her serve from 0-40 down early in the 2nd set and was hanging on; Barthel was serving incredibly and hitting fantastic winners from the back and some great volley winners too. Errani tried to bring Barthel in with drop shots as well to test her movement, there were some fantastic rallies.

Barthel broke to serve for the match and again got nervous, allowing Errani back in, and after saving two match points took it to a tiebreak. As Frew McMillan said years ago, the player with the bigger serve usually wins the tiebreak and that proved to be the case again, Barthel winning it in convincing fashion to win the 2nd title of her career and acclaim from an appreciative crowd for both players.

Errani’s plan was to make Barthel hit as many shots as possible in long gruelling rallies. But Barthel’s serve was just too good and was able to keep the points short and attack the net whenever she could. The phrase that popped into my head is that Barthel serves like an assassin with clinical precision, so may returns go astray, ricochet into the tramlines, hit the net or land short for a midcourt put away, that is pretty rare in the womens game.

So, for the 2nd year in a row, I left the tournament feeling I’ve just seen a special talent who could go really far if she can maintain this level of consistency and continue to improve her movement and self-belief. Mona Barthel may not just be top 5 material but potential to be a major winner in the future as well.

#15 ·
Barthel is hot German prospect

Big-hitting Mona Barthel is the latest strong prospect to roll off the German tennis production line, and the 22-year-old from Neumunster has wasted no time stamping down her mark for the year ahead.

Barthel clinched the biggest title win of her career at the weekend, beating the likes of Marion Bartoli and Sara Errani to lift the GDF Suez Open title in Paris despite entering the tournament unseeded.

As one of five German players ranked inside the world's top 100 - her latest win sees her leap to 28 in the world - Barthel is at the forefront of a strong tennis renaissance in her country.

The 6ft 1ins Barthel blasted Errani - who described her opponent as "unbeatable" - off the court and shrugged: "I wasn't expecting to win the title at all. I was just taking it round by round hoping to get through."

It may be premature to start talking of a future star in the mould of Steffi Graf, but Barthel has proved she has the power to cut it among the really big guns, even if she insists there is no secret formula in the German programme.

"I think it's a coincidence," said Barthel. "We all have our own coaches and we all do our own thing. There are always ups and downs. We have had really good players in the past, then not so many.

"Of course it helps that we see each other playing really well. I know (Julia) Goerges a lot, and I've known (Angelique) Kerber since we were little. If you see them playing well, it makes you think you can do it also."

Barthel's big leap came in 2011, when she improved from a ranking of 208 at the start of the year to 67, and is now beginning to firmly establish herself inside the world's top 50.

"I was always focusing on finishing school then I had more time to practice and play events," added Barthel.

"It's the normal process now. It's no secret. I have more experience, and I'm just working hard every day."
Source

From the WTA-side:
Quotable Quotes: Mona On Self-Belief & More

Mona Barthel put her aggressive game on display throughout the week at the Open GDF SUEZ in Paris, and afterwards talked Sara Errani, self-belief, her tennis idol and more.

PARIS, France - Mona Barthel's victory at the Open GDF SUEZ not only represented her first Premier title, it may have also signalled something big to come - the 16 players who had won the tournament before her had all been ranked No.7 or higher at one point in their careers, and most of them had gone as high as Top 3. So what are the German's thoughts on the run? Here she is in her own words...

On playing Errani in the final...
"I was up a set and 5-2, but I got a little bit of nerves - I knew she's a real fighter, and it was my first final at such a big tournament. She made it hard for me. I just tried to take it step by step and point by point, and just kept playing my game. I knew she had to win the set to stay in the match, and even if she did, I'd still have a chance to win the match in the third set. Of course, I knew the third set would be more difficult, but I'd still have a chance. But I'm glad I won it in the tie-break of course!"

On her Top 10 wins over Bartoli and Errani being a turning point...
"To beat two Top 10 players in one week is a good effort, for sure. And not just this week, but I've had such a great start to the whole season - already one semifinal, one final and winning here. It's a pretty good first month. I've improved so much in my game and hope I can continue playing like this."

On self-belief...
"The most important thing is to go on the court and believe in yourself, believe you can beat the other player. Of course they're all such good players, but last year I had so many good matches against top players and it gave me a lot of confidence. I know I can play a good game. You just have to keep giving your best and you never know what will happen. Hesitation doesn't get you anywhere."

On her beginnings in tennis and her childhood idol...
"I started so early. My whole family was into tennis - my parents and my sister, too. I basically started playing tennis when I started walking. From that point it was always my dream to become a professional tennis player. My idol was Steffi Graf when I was growing up - she was from Germany, I liked the way she played, and she was so successful. I had the same racquet, the same clothes, the same everything as her. I haven't met her yet, but hopefully in the future I will get to meet her!"

On following in the footsteps of Kerber, who won Paris last year...
"That would be amazing - Angelique had such a great season last year, playing so many tournaments and doing so well in all of them, and beating so many good players. She has such a great game. It was great to win this tournament after she won it last year. I'm just trying to play tournament by tournament and we'll see. I just want to keep it up. Every tournament and every opponent is different."
Source

#16 ·
#20 ·
#22 ·
An interview with Mona on tennisnet.com (translated from german into english by google; not a good translation but i hope you can understand the interview to the greatest possible extent):

Mona Barthel exclusive:
"For me, there is
still a long way to go"
The 22-year-old talks about her tournament victory in Paris, about the cancellation in the Fed Cup and her passion besides tennis.

By Christian Albrecht Barschel

Mona Barthel has the WTA Premier tournament in Paris won her second title on the WTA Tour, and is thus the first time in the top 30 in the world rankings. The Neumünsteranerin stands in an exclusive interview with tennisnet.com answer questions and also explains her rejection in the Fed Cup position.

Mrs. Barthel, congratulations on your second title on the WTA Tour. What did you think when you've turned your fourth match point?

I was happy and relieved that it was still very tight at the end times and I had match points awarded. I'm glad that I stayed calm and I always have unlocked new opportunities. When I then turned the match point, I could at first not even believe it.

Can you describe the difference between the tournament in Paris and your first title in Hobart?

Hobart was one of the first WTA tournaments that I've played. There, I had to still play through the qualification. The other players did not know me so well. That has changed since then, of course. In Paris there was a larger tournament. I had to beat three players in the top 15. It's a different category, if you win a premier tournament in Paris.

Statistics from the WTA says that all 16 Paris-winners in front of you at least seventh place standing in the world rankings. Is this a sign for the rest of your career?

Of course I would not mind if it come to this. The top 7 or top 10 but are still a long way for me. I am now for the first time in the Top 30, which is a great success for me.

Angelique Kerber is started by last year after their tournament win in Paris in the top 10. Do you think that's realistic for you this year?

Angelique had an incredible year last year and has so consistently played at a high level every week and demonstrated their performance. She deserves it so to be in the top 10. For me this is still a long way. Since much has to fit that one makes the step into the top 10. I would be glad if I further improve in the world ranking. The year is still long. Let's see how it develops.

Your achievements in the past year after a strong season opener were very variable. Do you have an explanation?

Since there were several reasons why I was in the summer of a weaker phase. I had pulled me in Miami from a foot injury, which took a little longer to heal. Perhaps it would have been better to take a break and wait until it was healed. Secondly, it was also the first year on the WTA Tour for me. The tournaments were all new to me. I was the first time in Australia. These are a lot of impressions, get on one, you must process only. I think that has also cost me some energy. I notice this year already that something more routine is when I get to the tournaments.

At the Grand Slams, you are four times in a row retired in the first round. Why it works in the big tournaments not so well?

The Grand Slam tournaments did not work well. There were several reasons why I cut off at each Grand Slam tournament is not good. At the U.S. Open I was a little sick. At the French Open and Wimbledon, it was the stage where I did not play my best tennis. At the Australian Open, it was also a difficult draw. Ksenia Pervak ​​played very well and it made me not easy. Something like this can ever happen to anyone. All the women in the top 100 all play such a good tennis because almost anyone can beat anyone really. There are still a lot of improvement for me at the Grand Slams. If one has lost four times in the first round, it can actually be even better.

They have a strong impact. However, you underwent especially in the last year in some games, many double faults. Stands or falls on your game with the serve?

Directly so I would not say that. The service is of course one of the main strokes in tennis and in my game. If you have a good charge, you get into a good position for the next stroke. This of course brings many benefits, if you have a high rate during the first service and also a good second serve.

What have you done to stabilize your serve?

I have in the off-season a lot of work because I have more consistency and a higher rate in the first serve and that I continue to develop my second serve. That will help my game a lot because of the impact of the most important stroke in tennis.

You have no permanent coach to accompany you on trips. Your mother takes mainly the analysis of games and travels with you around the world. In Paris you were coached by Jacek Szygowski, a trainer at the Cologne Academy. You will soon find a permanent coach?

Last year I was already looking for a coach who accompanied me. But you have to have a good feeling that a coach brings you forward. Jacek it was a spontaneous decision. Robert Orlik had suggested it to me. Jacek I had never seen before. It has indeed worked well, it could not have worked out better. Let's see how it develops in the coming weeks.

Your rejection of the Fed Cup match in France has beaten high waves. So far, only head coach Barbara Rittner and your colleagues have commented on this in more detail. Can you explain the reasons why you do not stand for the Fed Cup are available?

To me it was clear that my decision would provide a lot of resentment among the public. To outsiders, it may seem very odd when you cancels the Fed Cup participation. I have my reasons for the cancellation, but I would not necessarily reveal this to the public. I would like to keep private, because there are also personal reasons. I hope that people accept and respect that.

After the cancellation was due to injury of Angelique Kerber again made an attempt for the game that you still available?

No, there was no attempt.

Apply your decision not to play Fed Cup, only for the match against France, or for the qualification games in April?

This decision was only for this game. My refusal had nothing to do with the Fed Cup in general. Of course I would love to be playing Fed Cup and to represent my country. That was at the moment just not the right time.

You were not nominated in April 2012 for the relegation match against Australia, despite your strong form by Barbara Rittner. Instead, the straight-again Andrea Petkovic and double specialist Anna-Lena Groenefeld were nominated. Julia Goerges also explained that she felt sick. Germany finally rose from out of the world group. Were you upset that you were not nominated for relegation game?

I was not mad about it. I have a few days before it started in April, got the call that I, as the Fed Cup in five women may be there. I was glad to have been there and that I could just watch the whole processes in the Fed Cup. Barbara made the decision so I've accepted it and respected. She is the boss and makes the decisions. I can understand their decision as well. Andrea and Julia had the experience of having played in the Fed Cup. That would have been different for me.

Barbara Rittner said after your Fed Cup rejection that she was proud that the other girls think differently. Julia Goerges founds it unfortunate that one of the Fed Cup, which is more than three times a year, can not bring in line with its plans. Do you feel like an outsider in the German team?

No, definitely not. Other girls in the team have even canceled a Fed Cup participation. We all get along well, that has nothing to do with.

With Angelique Kerber, Julia Goerges and you come to the three best German players from Schleswig-Holstein. Do you have an explanation as to why the High North is currently determined the German women's tennis?

I believe that there is no recipe for success. For each player have their own reasons why it is so high up. We all went a different route and have not trained with the same coach. Perhaps it is fortunate that the three best currently come from Schleswig-Holstein. With Tobias Kamke and Julian Reister, we also have two men's players. This is obviously great for the tennis in Schleswig-Holstein. We know each other well from the past and it's nice to meet up at shows.

You speak fluent English and can be expressed in this language very eloquently. To what extent it is life on the tour makes it easier when you have no language barriers?

It is very important, if you can speak English well. It is so much traveling abroad. This helps an already immensely if you can communicate well. I wish that I could still speak more languages ​​fluently. It is in so many countries on the way. It would therefore be perfectly natural if we could talk in the language that is spoken in the country.

Your German colleagues and also head coach Barbara Rittner love to tweet. Why you are not active on Twitter or on Facebook?

I decided early on to make a website and not to go on Facebook and Twitter. I have been retained. Of course there is a lot of work, after each game, to take the time to write a report on the game. Right now I do not feel that I want to sign in to Facebook and Twitter, but maybe that will change.

Why have you chosen the communication via a website?

I started early to make my own website. I had liked computer science in college and this always very professional. This gave me the idea to make a website. I do it all alone. I developed the design, I write the lyrics themselves and thus have much work ahead of me. It is a website about myself, so I think it's nice if you like, it made itself. So it should be at a website about themselves also. This is again a break from tennis. I think it's important that you not only 24 hours of tennis thinks, but also has a few other things that you enjoy doing. The good thing is that I can still connect it to the tennis.

For the tournament in Paris you get 94,355 euros. On your website, you wrote that you still use the old Smart Roadster your mother. Is after the title in Paris now a new car due?

This is not planned in the near future, at some point maybe. I always take the car from my mother. But she is not so happy about it. I am by the many trips and rarely at home, so I really do not need a car. But something I will buy now. The victory was so unexpected that I could not even really think about it.

#26 ·
"because almost anyone can beat anyone really."

That's really great to hear from Barthel. It shows she's not intimidated by what player is on the other side of the net which is a difference from last year IMO where she choked her last set away to Azarenka at Stuttgart.

#27 ·
She was psychologically not ready to win against Azarenka in Stuttgart because at that time she was on the WTA tour for only half a year. Her self-confidence could not keep up with her dramatically improved game back then. I am optimistic that she starts to believe in herself now, especially after this win in Paris. If that happens she will be able to beat the big babes on tour, even in close matches. But let's give her time! I still think that Mona needs two more years to fully mature.

And dont forget that even Azarenka choked away a lot of matches before 2012. She needed about 5 years to become this mentally tough player she is now.

#31 ·
Maybe her start there is supposed to be the beginning of her preparation for the clay season. The tournament in Charleston starts two weeks after Indian Wells. I dont know if she also plans to play in Miami just before Charleston. This would be definately too much in my opinion.

By the way, i am still happy about last sunday! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.