Chris Evert Thread - Page 163 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 8th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #2431
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
I was watching the 1981 Amelia Island whitewash recently (by the way, Martina was not playing badly!) and the commentator Bud Collins mentioned that "both ladies have been talking about a possible grand slam that year". That was between the 1980 Australian Open and the 1981 French Open -- which was, of course, won by Hana, ending any possible talk of a Chris or Martina grand slam that year.
That was a stupid thing Chrissie did at Amelia Island, Martina became a changed player after that, won the same tournament next year 6-2,6-0 and went on her winning ways.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 10th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #2432
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
That was a stupid thing Chrissie did at Amelia Island, Martina became a changed player after that, won the same tournament next year 6-2,6-0 and went on her winning ways.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #2433
country flag mattosgrant

mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light

Chris was not exactly at the height of herself around then either. Barely winning games vs Martina, but also winning only 6 games in a tier 1 clay final vs a teenaged Maleeva. Kind of sums it up.
mattosgrant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #2434
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chris was not exactly at the height of herself around then either. Barely winning games vs Martina, but also winning only 6 games in a tier 1 clay final vs a teenaged Maleeva. Kind of sums it up.
That pretty much sums it up.

It was a transitional year-going through the death throes of her marriage to John Lloyd, and also finally making the change from wood to metal.

Chriisie hung in there, actually got tougher after a French Open blowout in pushing Martina at Wimbledon, and came oh so close at the US Open.

True grit was finally rewarded at the Aussie Open, and 1985 is a year any Evert fan will treasure.

12 consecutive years with a major. I doubt that will ever be matched.

And while the Ice Dolly handed out many double bagels it she never lost by that score!

Visit us at the Blast From The Past: Where Tennis History Lives!

http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #2435
country flag mattosgrant

mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light mattosgrant is a glorious beacon of light

It was a shame she won only 1 major in 85 as she played such great tennis. The Wimbledon final was great, and she came close. The U.S Open semi with Hana was her most sluggish performance but Hana was great there and would take down a much more in form Martina in the final. The Australian was the biggest missed opportunity. She started really slowly, then didnt capatilize on her 2nd set momentum in the 3rd.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #2436
PamShriver

PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future

I think Wimbldon '83 to Eastbourne '84 was the worst 12 months of Chrissie's career. But I think that first set of the Wimbledon final and the win over Hana in the semi really got Chrissie back on course and she had a solid remainder of the year and of course then came 1985.

Last edited by PamShriver : Jun 12th, 2015 at 03:10 AM.
PamShriver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #2437
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Yes, there was the 6-0, 6-0 beating of Martina on clay in the first half of 1981, but even more impressive, in my opinion, was taking a 6-1 final set against Martina ON GRASS at the end of the year in the Sydney final.

Very few people ever did that.

Regarding the constant discussion over who was "best" in 1981, it is interesting to note that the commentator said that, going into the Sydney final, Chris and Martina were neck and neck, on the exact same number of points. Chris's win in Sydney would have put her in front, going into the Australian Open, but in that final Martina would prevail in the final set 7-5 (after being up 5-1). Neck and neck, indeed!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #2438
country flag mattosgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
I think Wimbldon '83 to Eastbourne '84 was the worst 12 months of Chrissie's career. But I think that first set of the Wimbledon final and the win over Hana in the semi really got Chrissie back on course and she had a solid remainder of the year and of course then came 1965.
Absolutely! Wimbledon 84 got her back on track.