Tennis Forum banner

Suicide Tennis | Rules |

31K views 181 replies 68 participants last post by  Davidspell 
#1 · (Edited)
win·ner (wĭn'er)

noun

One that wins, especially a victor in sports or a notably successful person.

winnaar Sieger νικητής gagnant רעיון מבטיח vincitore победитель vinnare الظافر succé лауреат εχέγγυο επιτυχίας Erfolg

Concept​
1. Each day of play, you must pick 1 winner playing a WTA main draw singles match. Of course, the player that you choose, is playing one match scheduled to be played that day (as seen on the order of play).

2. This is where the twist comes in. Once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So, you don't want to waste a pick on Clijsters or Sharapova to win in early round matches.

3. You must choose one player to win each day. If you forget, are sick, or are unable to reach a computer, it will be treated as a wrong pick, and you will be out of the tournament. As well, your pick must be chosen before the first match has commenced, otherwise it will be considered a wrong pick, and thus you will again, be out of the tournament.

For Example:

On DAY 02 daniela86 chooses Paola Suarez. From that point on, daniela86 (assuming he qualifies) is unable to choose Paola Suarez again. It is especially significant when on the semifinal day, you are choosing who you believe will win in the semifinals, but also lose in the final.

4. Only in the case of a walkover, or a withdrawal, each player is allowed to have a back-up pick, selected at the same time as their initial pick. That back-up pick will only be used in the occurence of a walkover or withdrawal, as stated above. Retirements do count as completed matches.

Replacement picks must be identitified like this:

BACK-UP PICK - Daniela Hantuchova

If it is not clearly identitified, then both picks will be declared invalid.​

For Example:

Hobart - 2006 - Day 1 Matches:

Severine Bremond vs [WC] Christina Wheeler
[Q] Anne Kremer vs [2] Klara Koukalova
[Q] Olga Poutchkova vs Mara Santangelo
[1] Katarina Srebotnik vs [WC] Casey Dellacqua
Michaella Krajicek vs Maret Ani
[Q] Arantxa Parra Santonja vs Kristina Brandi
[3] Anna Smashnova vs Laura Granville
Mashona Washington vs Emilie Loit
Evgenia Linetskaya vs Alona Bondarenko
Martina Sucha vs Jelena Kostanic

andrew_uk chooses Jelena Kostanic and "Back-Up Pick - Klara Koukalova"
Chevina chooses Katarina Srebotnik and "Back-up Pick - Laura Granville"
pirlo chooses Anna Smashnova and "Back-up Pick - Michaella Krajicek"

Day 1 Match Results:

[Q] Anne Kremer def. [2] Klara Koukalova
Jelena Kostanic def. Martina Sucha
[WC] Casey Dellacqua def. [LL] Aleksandra Wozniak (Wozniak replaces Srebotnik in the main draw, due to her withdrawal)
Laura Granville def. [3] Anna Smashnova
Michaella Krajicek def. Maret Ani

andrew_uk's pick of Kostanic is correct, he has qualified for Day 2.
Chevina's pick of Srebotnik is invalid, due to her withdrawal. However, because his back-up pick is correct, he has qualified for Day 2.
pirlo's pick of Smashnova is incorrect, therefore he has not qualified for Day 2.

Despite andrew_uk and Chevina qualifying for Day 2, they are not allowed to choose their picks from Day 1 for the remainder of the tournament (for andrew_uk that would be Kostanic, and for Chevina that would be Granville).

5. As you get deeper into the draws, you have to start picking based on not only who you think will win, but who is likely to lose down the road. And remember, if you are still alive come semi-final time, you are not only picking who you think would win a semi, but also who would lose the final, since you could not pick the same player again.

Remember, every choice, whether good or bad, can be deadly...

See less See more
#65 ·
I was looking at the infomation on the Bali Tournament and wasn't able to find out about the ranking points you get...
but i found out that there is a "12-woman round robin singles format (four groups of three players)"... so in regards to the rules, will it be like the the YEC and after the round robin, all picks are reset???
I presume there would be Day 1-3 of round robin play, (Reset picks) and then the SF and F on Day 5???

#68 ·
Count me in-Starting now! do you have to be over 3 months to play?

#72 ·
It's one thing to have byes; I don't love it, but I get the rationale, but I think there needs to be some serious thought given to how to handle players with byes when it comes to the tiebreaker. It seems very unfair that players not only get the advantage of not having to pick in the first round but automatically losing 0 sets/0 games when there's a tiebreaker. So the players who really made all picks/all rounds and already have a better case for deserving to win are disadvantaged against them. Why shouldn't players with byes be asked to pick someone for the first round whose games/sets will be counted against them only in the event of a tiebreaker?

#73 ·
this bye discussion is really annoying me this week. is it just because I won this tournament or why is it just coming up this week? little bit confused. there were 7 other players who also had a bye this week and they did not win. it is also about strategy.

#76 ·
It's not all about points though, it's fun to try to win, and the rules for how to decide who wins should be fair. It seems like the last few tournaments have been very close, and so the bye/tiebreaker rules have really made a difference, maybe that's why it's coming up now.

#77 ·
As people wrote that the tournament threads are not the appropriate place to discuss rules:

I want to emphasize that I strongly oppose the bye rule. Reasons have been given by various users to a sufficient extent, so I will keep it short. It's unjust to include byes only because they are in WTA tournaments - completely pointless.
Shall we limit tournaments to the number of real participants? No.
Shall we introduce direct encounters like they are common in global tennis? Of course not.
Shall we limit the number of tournaments players are allowed to play due to exhaustion and injuries? Never.
All bullshit. And so is the bye rule. It serves in real tennis to allow top players who made the final in the previous week to have some rest and enter in round 2, so they won't have to withdraw. Where's the parallel to suicide tennis? Realism my ass. This is NOT the WTA. It's a tipping game in an online forum, nothing more.

Conclusion: Get rid of this crap.

#78 ·
Although I appreciate your post, it could do without the sarcasm and harsh words-- it really ruins your attempt at being civil.

Anyway, perhaps it is time for this rule to be brought back up for consideration. You should try contacting a few of the organizers and getting their opinion. I think a poll for everyone to vote on would be a good idea, but not without the consent of the organizers and their approval that if the votes are there, the rule will actually be changed

#80 ·
I gree about the language, and I also agree that the byes will most likely stay with a vote. However, it's one of those times (and I have seen a few of them since I started playing this game) when strong opposition is coming up to the bye rule, and I think it should be settled so that the bickering and complaining doesn't continue.

That's pretty much how it works: people join or change their opinion and the opposition gets strong, and then a vote or discussion happens and the bye rule is upheld, and the opposition is calmed down... for a while, then it starts over again :shrug:

#81 ·
Maybe if I have time later, I can look at all the times the winner won because he/she had a Bye. I know I had a Bye in Charleston but lost the TB anyway. :shrug:

The players who have earned a bye have done just that--earned it.

#83 ·
Maybe if I have time later, I can look at all the times the winner won because he/she had a Bye. I know I had a Bye in Charleston but lost the TB anyway. :shrug:

The players who have earned a bye have done just that--earned it.
Please explain to me why have they earned it ? Why should the players with a high ranking be helped to retain their high ranking and why should the contenders and the rookies be handicapped ? Because that is what the BYE rule does, it makes all the other players handicapped.

#87 ·
I admit when I first started playing this game 3 years ago I hated the byes and thought they were unfair. But as I moved up the rankings I realized how hard and grueling this game is. It takes a lot of skill to get yourself to the top of the rankings and be in the position of earning a bye. Again, if I have the time I will see how often a Bye has been the dealbreaker when it comes to tournaments this year. Like I said, in Charleston I had a Bye and still lost because that evil bitch Wozniacki retired. I didn't bitch about it, thems the breaks. In any case, there are no Byes in the 4 Slams where most of the points are to be made in this game. I think that evens the playing field out quite a bit. We saw this at Wimbly when IDK like 3 or 4 of the top ranked players lost on Day 1. Many of them had hella points to defend at Wimbly also.

#90 ·
This whole argument is dumb, and I am not saying that just because I am currently in the top 5 and recieving byes. I twice started this game with no ranking and fought my way to the top. Its clearly possible. If the byes favored people at the top as much as you people make it out to be then wouldn't you assume the top of the rankings would stay the same much more than it does. Besides the "elite" few of us :)angel:) the top of the rankings are filled with different people all the time. Look at the ranking points, they clearly favor people who make good picks at the end of a tournament, not the beginning. Of course there is the occasional tournament where there is mass suicide on day 1 and the seeds have an advantage but it happens much less than you would actually think. Also if a seed makes an incorrect pick on Day 2 they recieve only one point as if they went out on Day 1. If there is mass suicide on Day 2 then they are actually at a disadvantage(albeit a small one) to the rest of the players ranking points wise.

I do agree that when figuring out who wins the tournament it probably isn't fair that the seeds aren't picking on Day 1. Maybe we can have the seeds make a pick just in case they make it to the end and the # of games lost by that pick will be factored into their overall score, but if the pick loses then they are still in.

Also, pay attention in the threads. Most people who have byes make Day 1 picks anyway just in case they don't have a bye and almost always their pick wins. ;)

#91 ·
This whole argument is dumb, and I am not saying that just because I am currently in the top 5 and recieving byes. I twice started this game with no ranking and fought my way to the top. Its clearly possible. If the byes favored people at the top as much as you people make it out to be then wouldn't you assume the top of the rankings would stay the same much more than it does. Besides the "elite" few of us :)angel:) the top of the rankings are filled with different people all the time. Look at the ranking points, they clearly favor people who make good picks at the end of a tournament, not the beginning. Of course there is the occasional tournament where there is mass suicide on day 1 and the seeds have an advantage but it happens much less than you would actually think. Also if a seed makes an incorrect pick on Day 2 they recieve only one point as if they went out on Day 1. If there is mass suicide on Day 2 then they are actually at a disadvantage(albeit a small one) to the rest of the players ranking points wise.

I do agree that when figuring out who wins the tournament it probably isn't fair that the seeds aren't picking on Day 1. Maybe we can have the seeds make a pick just in case they make it to the end and the # of games lost by that pick will be factored into their overall score, but if the pick loses then they are still in.

Also, pay attention in the threads. Most people who have byes make Day 1 picks anyway just in case they don't have a bye and almost always their pick wins. ;)
Great post :yeah: Pretty much what I think.

As for deciding the winner, I also think it's unfair... Did anyone ever consider an average games lost to figure it out? That way, one less match wouldn't matter :shrug:

#99 ·
On the Topic of Byes...

I used to be a top player (ranked 5) now after Wimbledon... in ranked like 36...
I honestly see the arguement that those with byes have an advantage in winning a tournament, however I recieved many byes and never won a tournament!!! :lol:
I like Byes... Even if im not going to get one anytime soon

#100 ·
Speaking of seeds, what exactly is the rules for giving byes? When do we not and when do we? I don't manage tournaments that often and I never recieve byes myself so I keep forgetting. And the rules haven't been updated since dinosaurs wandered the earth. The first page doesn't even include the word seed(and the tiebreak method is wrong).

There are two byes in Wozniacki Open, does that mean two byes in the forum game?

#101 ·
Any tournament other then International Events or GS recieve a BYE...
The No/ of seeds in the WTA tournament correspond to the No/ of BYEs is Suicide

#107 ·
There's a thread at Marbella for rookies...but I think it will be too late to join, although you still can give it a try...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.