Petko Articles & Interviews - Page 31 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 14th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #451
country flag Katja.

Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petko Articles & Interviews

Petko was a guest on the No Challenges Remaining podcast again, and it's a really great interview, even more so if you consider when she gave it.

http://nochallengesremaining.podbean...t-one-hundred/

Her segment starts at 1:10.
Katja. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #452
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/203737.aspx

Quote:
16 April 2015

Tight-knit Germany can win Final spot, says Petkovic

Having spent much of the last decade bouncing back and forth between the World Group and World Group II, Germany has finally settled into gear in Fed Cup by BNP Paribas.

This weekend, the 2014 runners-up take on one of the competition’s powerhouses in the form of Russia in the semifinals in Sochi, knowing that victory would see Germany contest back-to-back Fed Cup Finals for the first time since 1982-83.

And world No. 11 Andrea Petkovic, one of three players in the team to rank in the Top 20 along with No. 14 Angelique Kerber and No. 19 Sabine Lisicki, sees no reason why the German team can’t secure a home Final this year.

“I think the Russians are slightly the favourites, just because they are playing at home and they have a great team. But we also have a great team and we’ve proved that in the past years,” said Petkovic, who has lost just two singles rubbers for her country since 2010.

“I think it was an incredible achievement of ours to have got to the semifinals after a tough loss in the finals last year - we are very proud of that and hopefully we can surf on the positive energy of playing so well [coming into the weekend]. I am really positive about everything and I think we can do some harm. ”

The Germans, indeed, are in fine form. Kerber arrives in Sochi off the back of a title win in Charleston, where she defeated Petkovic in the semifinals, while Petkovic also reached the last four in Miami and Lisicki made the semifinals at Indian Wells.

It is not just the individual talents that have made this German side such a force to be reckoned with though. Captain Barbara Rittner has long nurtured the current crop, emphasising the value of team competition and encouraging her players to play for each other as much as themselves.

“That’s a big part of her legacy I would say,” agreed Petkovic. “She is focussed on building a team. It’s been always the same girls around. We had trouble with injuries but we always try to play with the same team. She expects a lot of commitment from us but she also commits to us. I think that’s been the spirit of our team. We get along great and we speak very openly when things need to be addressed and that has always helped us.”

Rittner, who defeated opposing captain Anastasia Myskina the last time Germany and Russia met in Fed Cup in 2002, is reaping the rewards of a successful team unit that has been many years in the pipeline.

“Barbara started as captain when we were very young. She believed in us and put her faith in us when we were still very young and nobodies,” Petkovic continued, pausing to add: “I mean, we still are nobodies, right? But we were even bigger nobodies back then.

“When we were 16-17, Barbara picked her girls and sent us to Fed Cups to play instead of the veterans that were still around. That showed she has a lot of trust and faith in us and that made us better tennis players. We have our achievements, we’ve played well, won titles, now we try to give back and we all have the same goal.”

This is a team that is desperate to end its long wait for overall glory. Not since 1992 – the last year that Germany won the competition – had the nation reached a Fed Cup Final before losing to Czech Republic in last year’s showpiece match in Prague. Now, they stand on the verge of earning another shot at overall honours. And everyone involved is determined to get there.

“It’s not only Barbara, it’s the whole Fed Cup team – the physios, the doctors, who really spare a lot of time for us and try to make everything work with their private lives to come and support us,” Petkovic said. “We’ve found a good web that has been paying off in the last two years – hopefully it will pay off in Sochi as well.”

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2015
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 06:47 AM   #453
country flag Fury

Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future

Quote:
Stuttgart - Nach ihrer kurzfristigen Absage beim WTA-Turnier in Stuttgart will Andrea Petkovic erst einmal ein paar Tage komplett vom Tennis abschalten.

"Solange ich etwas im Oberschenkel spüre, werde ich keinen Schläger in die Hand nehmen", sagte die deutsche Nummer eins. Petkovic hatte ihren Verzicht auf den Porsche Tennis Grand Prix erklärt, weil sie sich bei der Fed-Cup-Niederlage gegen Russland in Sotschi eine Verletzung am linken Oberschenkel zugezogen hatte.

Von einer längeren Pause geht die Darmstädterin aber nicht aus. Nach wie vor plant sie, im Mai die Turniere in Madrid, Rom, Nürnberg und danach die French Open in Paris zu spielen. "Sobald ich wieder fit bin, werde ich die Zeit nutzen, um mich körperlich für die Saison auf Sand in Form zu bringen", sagte die 27-Jährige.

Doch zunächst einmal ist für die Nummer elf der Welt Ruhe angesagt. "Ich bin einfach müde und habe schon die vergangenen Wochen nur mit Schmerzmitteln gespielt", berichtete Petkovic. Auch deshalb habe sie jetzt entschieden, auf Stuttgart schweren Herzens zu verzichten. "Ich habe aus der Vergangenheit gelernt, in der ich so oft verletzt war und oftmals einfach zu viel gewollt habe."

Auch nach ihrer Absage tippt Petkovic in Stuttgart aber auf eine deutsche Siegerin. "Ich denke, dass Angie Kerber gewinnt", sagte Petkovic. "Ich will keinen Druck aufbauen, aber ich habe zuletzt in Charleston und jetzt beim Fed Cup hautnah erlebt, wie gut sie im Moment ist", sagte Petkovic über ihre Freundin.
dpa

Dinah Pfizenmaier * Angie Kerber * Annika Beck * Julia Goerges * Samantha Stosur * Simona Halep * Vika Azarenka * Barbora Strycova * Caro Garcia * Casey Dell'Acqua
Fury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote