Question about Tiers for events - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Question about Tiers for events

Prior to 1988 there were no such things as tier one, tier two (and so on) tournaments, let alone premier mandatorys, premier5's, etc. But how did that work when it came to giving WTA ranking points? Was every title (apart from the majors) worth an equal amount of points, which would be kinda bizarre, or was there a certain ranking order among tournaments that meant that you could earn more points if you did well in the, say, Canadian Open as opposed to a tournament that today would be 'only' an international? If so, which were those tournaments that were tier ones in anything but name in the 1970's and 80's?

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Prior to 1988 there were no such things as tier one, tier two (and so on) tournaments, let alone premier mandatorys, premier5's, etc. But how did that work when it came to giving WTA ranking points? Was every title (apart from the majors) worth an equal amount of points, which would be kinda bizarre, or was there a certain ranking order among tournaments that meant that you could earn more points if you did well in the, say, Canadian Open as opposed to a tournament that today would be 'only' an international? If so, which were those tournaments that were tier ones in anything but name in the 1970's and 80's?
The short answer: There were different amounts of points for different tournaments. Usually, the more prize money offered, the greater the ranking points -- but not always. My guesses for (consistent) Tier I equivalency would be Hilton Head and the VS of Florida. Good luck finding the magic numbers.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM   #3
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Also have a look at this recent article from WTA about their first computer rankings in 1975:
http://origin-www.wtatennis.com/page...207796,00.html

Quote:
In the tentative early days, ranking points were awarded according to a tournament's 'value' based on the strength of the field. The more top players that entered, the more points a tournament was worth. Hard as it is to imagine now, the value of a tournament was not even finalized until all the competitors had shown up.
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I guess that tournaments like the Italian, Canadian and German opens were also more prestigious thaN the average tournament in those days.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM   #5
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess that tournaments like the Italian, Canadian and German opens were also more prestigious thaN the average tournament in those days.
Well, maybe more "historical" than the average tournament, but for some years the women's sessions of the Italian and German Opens would have been Tier II equivalent tournaments -- or maybe even lower. The women's Italian Open wasn't even held in Rome from 1980 (wasn't even held at all in 1986) until its return in 1987.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #6
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Actually, the WTA did have a system, kind of like Tier I, Tier II. They called them by various names. But certain tournaments were designated as higher values, mostly based on prize money. That system existed from the early days of the Colgate tour.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:35 AM   #7
tommyk75

tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future

Yup, I remember the highest Tier events usually offered $300,000, and the next tier $200,000, then the lower level events $100.000 or $50,000. Also, the top players naturally avoided the lower-level events because the ranking system was based on an average system. I remember Steffi Graf's father complaining because her average would actually go down if she played a low-level event even if she won it. A lot of players played the bare minimum of events (around 14 or 15) a year to maintain a high average.
tommyk75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #8
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
Yup, I remember the highest Tier events usually offered $300,000, and the next tier $200,000, then the lower level events $100.000 or $50,000. Also, the top players naturally avoided the lower-level events because the ranking system was based on an average system. I remember Steffi Graf's father complaining because her average would actually go down if she played a low-level event even if she won it. A lot of players played the bare minimum of events (around 14 or 15) a year to maintain a high average.
For a while, the WTA had what they called a "play down" rule or allowance. It meant that if any player competed in a tournament where the total points for the winner were less than their current ranking average, they would automatically receive their ranking average if they won the event. It basically protected the top players (mostly just applied to Martina, Chris, Steffi, and Monica) so that by playing in events where prize money/points were a little lower would not negatively impact their rankings. While it helped them if they won the event,a loss in the finals (or before) of one of those tournaments would cause their ranking average to take a hit.

Of course the WTA did away with ranking average in 1997.

I think it is such a shame that the WTA and ATP did away with this. Shows you how truly powerful player agents - especially top player agents are. Afterall, doesn't it seem fair that you should get more points for beating a higher ranked player? Points earned for reaching a specific round in a tournament are equally applied, and that's fair. But who would object to a lower ranked player getting extra "bonus" points for beating a highly ranked player? Well, the top players, of course!!!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the tier breakdown for the 1984 Slims tour:

Virginia Slims Points categories

Grand Slam (France, Great Britian, US, and Australia)--plus the Virignia Slims Championships
W-400 RU-250 SF-200 QF-150 R16-100 R32-50 R64-25 R128-15

Category 4 (prize money of at least $200,000)
W-250 RU-150 SF-130 QF-100 R16-65 R32-30 R64-15 R128-10

Category 3 (prize money of at least $150,000)
W-200 RU-110 SF-90 QF-60 R16-35 R32-20 R64-10 R128-5

Category 2 (prize money of at least $100,000)
W-100 RU-70 SF-50 QF-25 R16-15 R32-9 R64-5 R128-2

Category 1+ (Ginny events with prize money of at least $50 ,000)
W-85 RU-65 SF-45 QF-23 R16-13 R32-5
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote