Tennis Forum banner

Caroline's Live Scoring Thread 12

132K views 6K replies 66 participants last post by  Jorn 
#1 ·
The last scoring thread went over 5000 posts so it's time for a new one. :)

Hopefully Caro can have a new start as well. :)

#2,708 ·
Easy FH error AGAIN!!

#2,715 ·
3 MPs saved, 3-5. That's the one good thing to say about Caro tonight: she doesn't give up. But why wait until MP down to show guts!?

#2,722 ·
Without the nerves ripping her conservative strategy apart Caro would have won that imho. Was a conservative strategy the right plan though? Not a single hup from Caro all night suggests that something was holding her back.

#2,723 ·
Freaking embarassing. Giorgi holds for 6-3 3rd set at 40-30 from 40-15. :rolleyes: The match was 2 hours 32 minutes long.

#2,724 ·
:eek::eek: can't even make the QF this draw when is she going open up her eyes an get coach

#2,725 ·
6-4, 4-6, 3-6. Giorgi was good tonight but not so good a more inspired Caro couldn't have won this match. In my opinion, Caro threw away the match at 2-2, 15-40 in the decider: that was THE point to take control of the match but Caro lacked the courage and just moved the ball around until Giorgi hit a winner. Caro's not likely to get a GS draw this good anytime soon, so we're unlikely to see even a decent GS result like a QF from Caro unless she really ups her game. Can a new coach do it? Maybe, if Caro is willing to change. That's her biggest problem in my eyes, her unwillingness to change/improve.

#2,731 · (Edited)
6-4, 4-6, 3-6. Giorgi was good tonight but not so good a more inspired Caro couldn't have won this match. In my opinion, Caro threw away the match at 2-2, 15-40 in the decider: that was THE point to take control of the match but Caro lacked the courage and just moved the ball around until Giorgi hit a winner. Caro's not likely to get a GS draw this good anytime soon, so we're unlikely to see even a decent GS result like a QF from Caro unless she really ups her game. Can a new coach do it? Maybe, if Caro is willing to change. That's her biggest problem in my eyes, her unwillingness to change/improve.
Yes - I thought back to that. I think she lost the next 4 points to surrender that chance of a break. But really Giorgi's pressure in this match caused Caro's forehand to break down badly. That was very worrying and I knew inside me that Caro was done. And I lost count of the number of times Caro framed/shanked the ball. One or two and it's not too much of a gift. But they were happening all the time. I think they were always on her forehand.

At the beginning of the match there were one or two points that Caro showed how she could have won this match. And that was to move Giorgi around. Giorgi was in trouble with those few points when Caro got her to move. But there were so few points that Caro was able to do that.

The most positive part about this match was the way Caro played at the net. Also - she did miss one easy putaway but the rest of the time was really solid with putting away anything that was asking to be put away.

#2,735 ·
Why is Caro so unwilling to change/improve?

#2,738 ·
If her forehand was worse than ever, I don't see a change of technique to be such a huge gamble. Now I didn't watch the match, but if it really was as bad as posters here are saying, I say go for it.
Definitely. If her goal is to win majors and get back to number one she has to be willing to take chances. Yes, tinkering with her forehand could hurt her game but it is too big of a weakness not to try something different.

#2,739 ·
Definitely. If her goal is to win majors and get back to number one she has to be willing to take chances. Yes, tinkering with her forehand could hurt her game but it is too big of a weakness not to try something different.
It will always be risky to tinker with her game. I'm not sure that it's even possible at her age. People will mention other players who improved this or that stroke at a similar age, or even when they were older. But they only had to make minor adjustments whereas I think improving Caro's forehand is a far bigger (and risky) job that might include a grip change, stepping into the ball more, etc. That last thing might already make a big difference. So often she's falling back on it instead of hitting it on the front foot. Sure, it's a big gamble, but one she must take if she wants to stay in the top 10. Forget about winning majors or getting back to number one because that almost sounds funny at this point. I hope they won't tinker with her serve though. Her service motion looks pretty good to me and I think her serve is as good as it's gonna get. She's just not very explosive, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it from a technical perspective. But the forehand, yes. It's too poor a stroke to leave it as it is.

#2,727 ·
This looked like it would be close but Caro had a great chance until her forehand fell apart.
This might have been the worst I ever saw it and she lost 8 of the last 11 games.
Her volleying and serve are still weak, but she has to be solid on both sides, not just backhand.

Strange part is that I was happy with the first 2 rounds and half of this match, then her forehand was so weak, it made her too low level to win

#2,728 ·
First of all, Giorgi is much better than 136 in the world. A ball basher she may be, but she's far from a brainless one. Good movement, good power and technique from both wings, good at the net, never panics and not a choke in sight at crucial moments. So well done is all I can say.

As for Caroline, well, I'm more disappointed for her than in her really. She must know that this was the draw of a lifetime and that it's unlikely that she will ever get an opportunity like this again. I think she competed well. She was probably too passive, but she's always reacting rather than acting against power hitters when they are on - nothing new there. The big problem (as always) is that forehand of course. She'll never get back to the elite as long as it stays the way it is. It's a really huge liability that will be exploited again and again. When you hit it as short and paceless like Woz all the opponent needs to do is step in and put it away, or at the very least it makes it easy for them to take the initiative.

So yeah, very disappointed, but not angry at Caroline. She's just not good enough to do any better, that's all.

#2,729 ·
I think there will be other draws. But that forehand. It just fell apart.
If she was winning and this was unusual, then okay. But she no titles this year and winning 2 matches makes it one of her best 2013 tournaments.

So this continuing to lose early is a big problem. Forehand a huge problem.
She could have left this tournament feeling she was back in the elite. But this match makes it look like her forehand, without good coaching, is a career killer. Everyone will be attacking that forehand after tonight

I think besides an injury, this was one of the worst things that could happen, beacuse it makes all the work she did to get more aggressive on her forehand side look like it destroyed that side in a bad way

#2,730 ·
This is the 7th time this year that Caro has lost to a player after winning the 1st set. :rolleyes:

#2,732 ·
Uuuh - she cannot win tennis games without any forehand and it's been her problem since early age. If she don't develop it from training and into her actual matches, she will never be no. 1 again or winning a slam. It looked as she were trying to compensate for the lack of power in her forehand by sending balloon balls as returns. Any player have weapons against that.

I predicted 4 years ago that she would dominate women tennis maybe 6 - 7 years but her talent seems to be administrated wrong - she's gone in the wrong direction.

#2,733 ·
Caro 8 winners 21 unforced errors in sets 2 & 3 combined. :rolleyes:

#2,741 ·
I wasn’t able to watch the match last night but based from all your comments, Caro fell into pieces again…. This is the best draw she ever had and we all expected that she could reach at least the quarters. That’s the problem…WE EXPECTED… I hope Caro will do a major overhaul in her game especially her forehand and serve - Like hiring a good coach (E.g. Thomas).
Honestly I am in a brink of losing my support to Caro… She never pushes herself enough to improve. Maybe she does, but not 100%. After all she has the money, and a multi-millionaire Rory. I think this is what in her mind now as a defense mechanism everytime she losses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.