Tournament Best Result: 2004 Triumph

R1 M. Sharapova Y. Beygelzimer 6-2 6-1
R2 M. Sharapova A. Keothavong 6-4 6-0
R3 M. Sharapova D. Hantuchova 6-3 6-1
R4 M. Sharapova A. Frazier 6-4 7-5
QF M. Sharapova A. Sugiyama 5-7 7-5 6-1
SF M. Sharapova L. Davenport 2-6 7-6(5) 6-1
F M. Sharapova S. Williams 6-1 6-4

"Wimbledon will be my priority next season. This year it was different because of the Olympics but if you ask me about my main goal for 2013, it definitely will be Wimbledon."
Bring it on!

See less See more
#748 ·
It's a perfect day to listen to all the Agalloch discography.

I live my life alone
and all it's misery
until the day I turn to stone
I shall die alone
among the wilderness

#750 ·
because they're poor little beings who are happier for the loss of a player they hate, than they are for the wins of their fave
they have no idea of how it is to root for someone who doesn't always wins, it's all easy for them

#755 ·
+ 1

firs thing now in the morning what i did, i went to check her twitter and facebook, nothing :sad:

she is probably devastated :hysteric:

but what to tweet :help: :help:

roger :hysteric: Masha :hysteric: worst day since i'm fallowing tennis, both out in 2nd round of a slam, and my favourite slam :sad:

#754 ·
I wasnt planning on posting here for a very long time. I was so distraught by the news of her loss (+ Rogers) that I couldnt fathem discussing tennis or even thinking about it for the near future. I couldnt stay away it seems. I am still so gutted and just cannot stop thinking about how Maria must be feeling. I probs wont be around for a while as some of the negativity in this place (Not SS of course, you guys are awesome) has gotten a bit much and this loss has taken last last bit of enjoyments I had out of the game for a bit.

Hope everyone is coping OK and most importantly hope Maria is too. I still cant believe it happened. This whole Wimbledon seems cursed. The tournament has lost its luster with all the big names gone bar a few so I wont be watching anymore.

Hope you all keep well and hope to be back posting again soon. Knowing me I will be back by the end of the week. I cant stay away LOL.

#756 ·
Roger's loss feels like the ultimate defeat. And reading articles about "his career ended 26/06/2013" make it worse.

Maria's loss is such a shock out of the blue, I can't even describe it.

I feel so lost...

#773 ·
please choke on a rotten dick.
No offence towards any Maria Fan, but you people are worrying so much that Maria lost yesterday and even after 24 hrs you are discussing what caused this that etc and she is enjoying her BF's match. So move on
No.
I still can't help but suspect she and Hogstedt are spending too MUCH time on her serve in practice. I always hate when the tennis media reduces analysis of Maria's game to the outdated "her serve is a huge liability" theory. Her serve is actually pretty much as good now as it was before the surgery. Since the start of 2012, very few of her losses have been doublefault-fests, most of them have largely been caused by her groundstrokes malfunctioning. Some of her losses against Azarenka are the best example -- in most of those matches, she'd be hitting great first serves which Azarenka could only scrape a short return back, but then Maria would sacrifice the initiative because of her groundstrokes not being good enough.
pretty much.
Even serveboting part sucks when her serving pattern is so goddamn obvious, Brito knew what will come every single time.
And the complete lack of any initiative or first strike tennis in her game is quite painful. Of course most of the time it looks nice keeping ball in play for more than 3-4 shots, but its often still pretty useless. That first set against CSN in IW, I was screaming to the screen it was such a disgusting pushing from her. Okay, that was Peak Pusherpova but barely huge changes since that. Her whole season is mess seeing her tactic & groundstrokes. I dont know what Hoggy wants or where is her mind, but something lost in translation there.

#771 ·
I honestly don't think it's fair to call Maria an overachiever. She was terrific in her teen years. And she played terrific tennis to win her 4 slams (though granted her RG draw was a bit of a joke). She's always had certain limitations in her game that have prevented her from being truly dominant, but her mental toughness, desire, intensity made up for that. No, she won't win every match/every tournament. Yes, she'll have horrid losses. She's not THAT great. But she's still great. Just IMO.

#772 ·
Agreed. To this day I still wonder what her career would have been like if not for her shoulder injury.

#775 ·
Hi guys, haven't posted here before.

I've been following Maria since her Wimbledon win in 04. She's one of my favourite players. I'm so proud of her for making it back to the top of the game after her injury and serve woes. At the risk of sounding corny, her focus, resilience and desire have been truly inspirational and I've been really impressed with her story.

It's been tough seeing her lose early at Wimby again, so I've been wondering, where do you think Maria goes from here, what do you think are the next steps and adjustments she needs to make in her game to become a better player and win more slams? :wavey:

#779 ·
I needed someone new in here :wavey: I'm so dramatic these days that I couldn't be considered a decent poster. I'm still too saddened to think a rational answer to your question. :help:

#784 · (Edited)
I think I've pretty much moved past the disappointment about Maria's loss. What leaves me with a little bit of sadness is that it is exactly 10 years ago that I came across the news about a talented and attractive 16 years old girl who made it to the 4th round by beating Jelena Dokic. That was the start of my "story" with Maria, and I hoped that I could somewhat celebrate these 10 years with a good run from her in this tournament.
Next year there is an even bigger 10 years Wimbledon anniversary, this one for Maria herself, and I hope that she will celebrate it with a great performance.

#785 ·
Retool the groundstrokes and actually have a transition game from clay to grass.

Play Birmingham please, you can lose to Washington again no one cares, just get some matchplay on grass.

Pray for no inspired youngsters, if not pray for rain delays when you're down 1 set and a break.

Ask Evian to do something about Court 2, or never let them assign you to that court again.

Please let next year's 10 years anniversary be a good one (Side eye to Roger)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.