Tennis Forum banner

Multi sports thread

87K views 1K replies 39 participants last post by  bruce goose 
#1 ·
A thread for sports other than WTA tennis, which will hopefully put a stop to the discussions about what is and isn't appropriate for the "continual reference to Caro" thread. ;)

See less See more
#5 ·
I used too and still remeber being ripped to shreds by my cousin who was at the time a reigning womens doubles Jylland Champion. Like Patrik with Caro, I realised the future right there... :)

#14 ·
Sad thing with the Lance case. He maintains his innocence but his giving up the fight suggests otherwise. Of course it's not impossible that he's giving up the fight for the reasons he's stating - that it's too much of a burden for his family - but it doesn't fit with his 'warrior' image. That, coupled with the horde of people saying he's guilty, makes it hard to believe in his innocence anymore despite all his negative tests.

#15 ·
It's nearly impossible that he's innocent when you think about it, unless he's truly a freak of nature. Many of his biggest rivals and contemporaries have been exposed as drug cheats. It's very unlikely that he could beat a peleton of riders who are up to their necks in PED seven times in the toughest road race of them all if he was clean himself.

I think that riders who are active in that sport really face a dilemma. Either take PED which allows you to compete in a more or less even playing field, but run the risk of getting caught and losing it all (including your dignity). Or keep a clear conscience and don't take PED in which case you're only take part to make up the numbers - if you make it to the professional ranks at all, that is.

#17 ·
#27 ·
Thanks. I'm a casual fan at best (and even that is stretching it), but I have always felt about him like that. But it would be unfair of me to single hm out because I felt (and feel) the same way about everyone else involved in that sport, not just Lance Armstrong. I guess that he at least has some redeeming qualities considering his cancer foundation which has done some good work. That's no excuse though, but he's probably no worse than anyone else in road cycling.

#40 ·
There's live tennis still going on at the US Open but no channel in the US is airing it. :rolleyes: Espn 2 stopped coverage after Fed's match and Tennis Channel airing their recap show. It's not that I want to see these matches, it's just the principle of it.

#47 ·
Full Champions League draw :

Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St Germain, Dinamo Zagreb.
Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier.
Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga.
Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund.
Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, FC Nordsjaelland.
Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov.
Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic.
Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, CFR Cluj.

Teams to progress in black. You saw it here first :)

PS Picked Dortmund for Jimmie and I can't stand Chelsea (and Money City).

#52 · (Edited)
Full Champions League draw :

Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St Germain, Dinamo Zagreb.
Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier.
Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga.
Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund.
Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, FC Nordsjaelland.
Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov.
Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic.
Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, CFR Cluj.

Teams to progress in black. You saw it here first :)
Hey,where are all the American teams:confused:???.....:haha:Sorry for the interruption;I couldn't resist:angel:

#49 ·
Serious question ... Why was Bayern level 1 seeded and Schalke level 2, but Dortmund only level 4 .. same level as footballing mights, FC Nordsjælland :lol: One would assume a German champion deserved a little more recognition or is the CL seeding purely on back of previous CL matches?

#54 ·
Anyone at all interested that Andy Roddick is retiring? He hasn't been much of a factor the last few years but at least he was an entertaining personality, something that the ATP is lacking in. When he first became a top player circa 2002-2004 I really disliked him but eventually I came around and became sommewhat of a fan. Maybe it was sympathy seeing him lose over and over to Federer?

Looking at how the top players from that generation are currently faring (Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Carlos Ferrero, David Nalbandian, Nikolay Davydenko) it really does make it all the more remarkable what Federer has been able to accomplish. I guess you could say that he has been very lucky that he hasn't had any major injuries. It's really a shame though that the others I mentioned weren't able to win more slams and it's too bad that so many careers are cut short/interrupted due to injury.

#55 ·
Anyone at all interested that Andy Roddick is retiring?
Long time ago, I saw a feature about Roddick ... taped from his home in Miami. He was playing around in his monster speedboat. Despite the obvious 'rich brat showing off his toys' parallel, he actually came across as quite likable. At least to me.

#59 ·
You Brits can blame yourSELVES for THAT:nerner:.According to some research I did(though,to be fair,record keeping in the 1800s wasn't what it is today--and rumor often passes for fact),there was a split in England between those who wanted to use their hands more in football and those who preferred to keep the traditional rules.Obviously,the latter was in the majority,yet the split yielded two sporting names: Association Football(Soccer) and Rugby Football.When the Gringos started playing the more physical style at the collegiate level following their Civil War,they simply abbreviated 'rugby football' to football.

It's not totally illogical to imagine the connection as you can see that there are 11 to a side in each sport(not counting the clown college version that DIAH's folks:lol: play which allow TWELVE);the end line is called the 'Goal line';and the structure through which the ball is kicked is called the 'Goalposts'.Further,before the forward pass was legalized,scoring was at a premium---just as it so often,boringly so,is in European/S.American football.The game was VERY much like rugby and a large amount of the points WERE made by kicking the ball with the foot

As you might guess,I'm not gonna waste my time explaining this again:lol:;I'll merely link to this post whenever some European joins our forum and asks the EXACT same question in 2 or 3 months:p

Oh...and,I had a friend who was a line judge in the U.S.,and Roddick is a Smegma Cheese Prick.It's rare that I take pleasure in someone else's failure but,if ANY asshole deserved to be remembered for his failures more than his successes,it's rod-DICK-head(lol)....Adios,pendejo

#62 ·
Good match from Andy Roddick today, but that Tomic guy really folded like a napkin. I know he's hyped up to be a future great, but if he caves in that easily I don't think it will happen for him. I can see Raonic going all the way to the top but when it comes to Tomic - going on the evidence of this match I'm not so sure. He had no fight in him. But it's just one match, so we'll see...

#66 ·
At one point John McEnroe suggested that he should be fined for lack of effort. I tend to agree. Especially in the third set it was obvious that he wasn't trying. A lot of his shots looked very lazy and casual and he wasn't moving very well.

#67 ·
These scab refs in the NFL suck. :(

#68 ·
Absolutely awful from Murray. Two sets us and 4-2 up - he has just lost 4 games in a row. He can't hold his serve for the life of him when usually he's strong there. And he doesn't look like he can break serve. In fact he can hardly win a single point and went completely passive. And after 4-2 up.

If he gets through this - he's not getting any further playing like that. All he had to do was serve it out.

#70 ·
Is Murray whinging?

#69 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about Murray yet. The top seeds almost always get through these kinds of matches. I think he's got a great chance to win his first slam here and he must realise that. Usually he would have to beat Federer/Djokovic/Nadal in the semis and then face Federer/Nadal/Djokovic in the final but this year with no Nadal he won't face any of them until the finals and whoever comes out of the other side will likely have had a tough semi. Of course he still has to get that far but he shouldn't be lacking in motivation.

Having said all of that I also thought that Tsonga had a great chance to make the final.:unsure:

#72 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about Murray yet. The top seeds almost always get through these kinds of matches. I think he's got a great chance to win his first slam here and he must realise that. Usually he would have to beat Federer/Djokovic/Nadal in the semis and then face Federer/Nadal/Djokovic in the final but this year with no Nadal he won't face any of them until the finals and whoever comes out of the other side will likely have had a tough semi. Of course he still has to get that far but he shouldn't be lacking in motivation.
Yes he will. Murray is in Federer's half of the draw.

#75 ·
I still really like Murray's chances even if he does have to go through both Federer and Djokovic. Obviously Murray has had his problems with Federer at the slams but he really had a convincing win at the Olympics and he has plenty of hardcourt wins over Roger. Novak is still a great player but not nearly as unbeatable as he was for most of 2011. It won't be easy but I do think Murray can do it.

Of course there is no guarantee that all three of them will even make the semis. Recent history suggests that they will all make it but upsets do happen. I am still hoping that del Potro can get back to where he was when he won in 2009, if he makes it that far maybe he can take out Novak in the quarters?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.