Tennis Forum banner

AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

122K views 2K replies 122 participants last post by  Icky80 
#1 · (Edited)

Voodoo Magic​

Cow On Plexicushion Evolution

See less See more
#2,414 ·
Masha's only gonna be 26 this year. She legitimately has 3 more years (if she wanted to play until the 2016 Olympics)
which equates to 11 more slam appearances. Gurls, lets not worry about this anymore it's in the past. Masha will win a slam again, she's too good of a player not too :shrug:

#2,415 ·
Masha's only gonna be 26 this year. She legitimately has 3 more years (if she wanted to play until the 2016 Olympics)
which equates to 11 more slam appearances. Gurls, lets not worry about this anymore it's in the past. Masha will win a slam again, she's too good of a player not too :shrug:
:secret: Li is 30 and Sarin is 31, I give her 5 more solid years since we know she doesn't depend on her amazing court coverage and footspeed :lol:

In all honesty, this AO has been pretty shit. Giving me random shades of AO 2011.

#2,420 ·
Ok, after this AO, I can just say-Li Na became one of my favorite players :lol: This one should have been hers, but oh well... Enjoy your luckily won Slam Victoria :rolleyes:

#2,421 ·
Heck, I'm starting to support Radwanska's quest for GS just to prevent Vika from winning more :eek: Hell, Venus even :rocker2: I just knew Li won't pull it off there :sad:

#2,422 ·
Some Azarenka fan claims playing Hampton was tougher for Azarenka than Li playing Maria and Aga :facepalm:

#2,423 ·
It's incredible how the most mentally fragile headcase on tour went from that to a mental rock in less than two years. Azarenka just never wilts under pressure any more. She could've crumbled against Hampton, Stephens, and Li and she just refused. I don't know if she got psychological help or if she just flipped a switch and became Ms. Unshakable Confidence. But that's something that's incredibly hard to do in sports. Mastering and controlling what goes on in your own head, especially when you have an estabished history of melting down and choking. But she did it.

And I still don't see greatness with her game. She remains the one tennis player who's success baffles me because every time I watch her, I see a very beatable player.

#2,424 ·
It's incredible how the most mentally fragile headcase on tour went from that to a mental rock in less than two years. Azarenka just never wilts under pressure any more. She could've crumbled against Hampton, Stephens, and Li and she just refused. I don't know if she got psychological help or if she just flipped a switch and became Ms. Unshakable Confidence. But that's something that's incredibly hard to do in sports. Mastering and controlling what goes on in your own head, especially when you have an estabished history of melting down and choking. But she did it.

And I still don't see greatness with her game. She remains the one tennis player who's success baffles me because every time I watch her, I see a very beatable player.
I was thinking about what I'd call her gamestyle earlier, and she almost is just a aggressive pusher. She has great defence and court speed, and she uses her awareness on the court to manoeuvre her opponents to be stretched out enough so the big hitters can't get big cuts on the ball. She's also aggressive enough to beat the lesser girls easily. In 2009 I saw her as a BBB, but she's changed herself to become essentially a powerful Wozniacki.

#2,429 ·
Honestly, it's not even JUST that this Slam was bad/boring, it's that it seems kind of surreal. There just didn't seem to be any flow to it whatsoever. We had Maria and Serena apparently both playing great before suddenly bombing out when few expected it, then when it looked like we had a great storyline emerging in Na playing great to win the title, suddenly that stuttered to a halt too. And, even though Vika deserved the title because she did what she had to do, personally I would've enjoyed her win more if she'd atleast played great tennis to win it, but even her fans concede she was well below her best.

Overall it was just a very drab and weird tournament, and there were no storylines for us to sink our teeth into, if that makes sense. And it feels like all the fans have been left feeling crabby and unfulfilled by the tournament, and the same goes for the players, judging by how (according to the GM drama queens), Maria, Serena and Radwanska are all firing shots, and the fact even Azarenka seemed more upset than happy after winning the title just about sums everything up.

#2,432 ·
Yeah even though she's not my favourite player, during USO Final I was actually feeling very happy for Vika when she went to serve for it, I normally always feel really happy for the winner of Slam Finals unless it's who just lost it obviously.

IDK it was just strange watching it yesterday, it honestly felt like watching a R2 match between two unknown ATP players. I've never been more indifferent or emotionally disengaged whilst watching a Slam final. I suppose it didn't help when Li injured herself in the third as well.

I agree, the whole thing just seemed like a blurry mess, have we even one great match to take away from this AO on the women's side? Just hoping we can see more of the positives Maria displayed throughout 2013. Oh and WHY did she wait until the SF to highlight the work she's done with her serve out wide on the ad court?

#2,433 ·
and WHY did she wait until the SF to highlight the work she's done with her serve out wide on the ad court?
Probably the other opponents before Na weren't much of a threat to worry about and she could still use a "predictable" serve.

#2,437 ·
whats scary though is vika might catch up to mashas slam count in like one or two years :scared:
even though teenpova competed with the elite for her first three

it's all masha's fault for making petra, vika (aga miami final) when is she gonna get a break like this :sobbing:

sorry for stealing your gif...it just works well here LOL

#2,438 ·
and then we'll start getting those GM thread:

whose better Sharapova or Azarenka? :lol:
anyway i dont fucking care, masha just keep playing and winning :cheer: she's won nearly everything bar Miami and a handful of premiers, where's Vika isn't close so w/e

plus vika turns 24 in july - so technically if she reaches 4 slams over 1-2 years then she'd be at masha's age by the time she won 4 regardless :lol:

#2,442 ·
Neah, Serena will slap Vika silly sooner rather than later so there's still hope :lol:

#2,443 ·
The fact that Vika has more AOs than Maria bothers me :lol: I'm so pressed. I can't help it! :hysteric: I want Maria to win more slams and soon. Serena is the dominating force in women's tennis, so every time she loses, the other top players need to step it up and be ready to fight for every single point to win a slam. This was a golden opportunity for Maria. She only had to win two matches against players she's already beaten in their last enocounters. Sorry I can't stop thinking about this! :hysteric: I can't wait for Doha to erase every memory from this tournament!

#2,445 · (Edited)
Masha still has more RG,Wimb and USO titles :) And her glorious win at AO 2008 can't be compared with Azarenka's wins in terms of the field quality. It's really poor nowadays.

#2,448 ·
thanks Li Na, who can play match of her life in SF just to flop in the final dropping on court as often as she never did during her whole career

I mean the CGS is great and all, but as seen from Vika's 2012 and her showing here, it's really not THAT hard to get to 4 slams, she's already halfway there in 1 year. And damn right I'll be pissed if she gets to 4 and Maria's not at 8 or something.
definitely Maria should work hard and try to win more Slams......

#2,447 ·
After all is done and dusted, I'll admit that I'm downright pressed that Maria lost. Only because I can't imagine any players from the Vika-Woz-Aga generation bar KvittyGOAT from winning more slams and potentially surpassing her (!!) :eek:

I mean the CGS is great and all, but as seen from Vika's 2012 and her showing here, it's really not THAT hard to get to 4 slams, she's already halfway there in 1 year. And damn right I'll be pissed if she gets to 4 and Maria's not at 8 or something.

#2,462 ·
This , at least not 2 pushers with trophies , it would have been unbearable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.