Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

377K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#2,202 ·
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Petra...h-tennis-with-Tomas-Berdych-articolo8889.html

Tennis - Petra Kvitova and Tomas Berdych are both the top ranked Czech players in the world. While Kvitova has won a grand slam singles title, Berdych is yet to get the grand slam monkey off his back - having reached the finals at Wimbledon once a few years ago.
Kvitova had a disappointing year in 2012 - failing to reach another grand slam final while Berdych, although being conistent, was unable to go deep in a slam either.
The two train at the same academy back home but Kvitova recently told the BNP Paribas Open website that they do not talk much about tennis when they see each other. The two did play Hopman Cup togther last year and won the event.
"We are too different and we don’t see each other a lot in Prostejov. He has a different schedule. Sometimes we practise next to each other on the courts. We have never spoken to each other about the pressure and expectation we face at home. We played Hopman Cup together and that was a very nice week there, in Perth. It was great to share winning with him, but we didn’t speak much about tennis."
Kvitova and Berdych are both still in the BNP Paribas Open. Kvitova is through to the quarter finals of the womens event while Berdych is through to the fourth round of the men"s singles event

Quite useless article, but Petra's comments are interesting. No word about hitting against each other, they only practise next to each other:confused:

#2,207 ·
Petra Kvitova Press Conference after beating Klara Zakopalova
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I think some of us were worried before the match how you're going to handle the heat. It's pretty hot today. But you seemed to come through very well. How did you feel out there?
PETRA KVITOVA:
Yeah, I felt quite well. I mean, it's quite dry here, so that's not the thing what really I hate. I think in Miami it will be much more worse.

Q. Do you have to change sort of the way you approach your workouts or your day or anything when it goes from being sort of mild and temperate to hot like it is now the next few days?
PETRA KVITOVA:
No, I don't think so. I mean, it's the same preparation for every match, so I don't want to change anything because it will be hot enough.
That's something what I can't change.

Q. Since the US Open last year you have been playing very well on outdoor hard courts. Can you say why?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I think last year for me was first time when I played quite well in the US Open Series, and that was something maybe that I used to play on the hard after the grass last season. I mean, it's everything in the time and I need everything to improve.
I didn't like the weather in the America, but how I said already, here it's much more drier so it's better for me.
But I remember Montreal/Cincinnati/New Haven/US Open wasn't that good, but I was quite lucky that I play in the night mostly.
That's something what I really can't change, so maybe that's why I need to be patient for it.

Q. Is it all physical or was there a point where you thought, Well, mentally I know I'm not going to feel well so maybe I'm not going to play my best?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I think that it's both things, because if I am thinking about it too much that's for sure to show in my fitness and my game, too.

Q. You went and won Wimbledon and got a lot of attention, and it seems like now more recently you're kind of flying under the radar maybe with less attention. Do you prefer that, or do you kind of miss getting...
PETRA KVITOVA:
Well, I'm quite missing big titles. (Laughter.) I think it was better to have it. But, I mean, that's everything what I can change and try to still working hard. I know that last season wasn't easy to repeat everything what I did in 2011.
This season it's quite different. I don't have really points to defend this part of the season, so maybe that's why I'm playing a little bit without pressure.
But of course that I'm trying to play every match, and I have a nerves before every match, so that's still same.

Q. You didn't have the big title last year, but you won Fed Cup. So I'm wondering, do you feel like that kind of experience helped you coming into this season, or is there no relation?
PETRA KVITOVA:
Fed Cup it helped me?

Q. Yeah.
PETRA KVITOVA:
I won Fed Cup 2011, too. I think that it's always nice to end, to finish the season with this beautiful trophy with other players, for sure.
I mean, for me, it's always great to play Fed Cup. I had one great match against Jankovic, but then I didn't feel well, I mean, in few days after or few weeks after the Fed Cup final in Prague. I mean, it didn't show that I was confident for to do Fed Cup first in Australia. I don't think that it's help me a lot.

Q. What about for you coming here? You had the upset last year, you lost early, so does it give you that extra boost of confidence now to be into the quarterfinals?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I mean, it was my best result last year when I was in the third round, so that's nice, of course, that I reach quarterfinals right now.
But of course that I didn't want to stop yet. That's nice to be still in the draw before the Miami, for sure.

Q. You have talked a lot about how important consistency is for you, so what do you do to keep yourself consistent week to week?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I have the thinking about every match that someone on the other side who keep every ball and playing really great, what the players did or do every match. I think that it's still keeping me focused for every point and for every player.
That's also that we are practicing for my physical side and technical, so that's why I can play more rallies and I don't have to risk a lot of points.

Q. So there were times when you were playing lower players when you weren't able to focus as much maybe because you thought, I should win this?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I think that I had some matches like this, how you said. That's something what I need to improve and be focusing for 100% always.

Q. You're in the quarterfinals now; do you think you're ready to win this tournament?
PETRA KVITOVA:
Not yet. (Smiling.)
I mean, I know that next match will be tough if Agnieszka or Maria win. Doesn't matter, it's both great players, and I hope that I will be prepared for tomorrow. That's my priority right now.

Q. The surface here is a bit slow, no? But the weather is hot and the balls maybe are lighter. Does it suit you? Is it fast in some ways and slow in others?
PETRA KVITOVA:
It's never suits me here. (Smiling.)

This first year what I'm playing quite well, and I need some time to used to play. And how you said, it's quite slow and the balls, I feel like sometimes it's flying too much and sometimes not.
So that's really weird for me. And of course if it's bouncing quite high and sometimes it's like very slide.
I feel like every shot it's a little bit different as on the clay, so I need to be really focused every point.

#2,208 ·
Out 1st match in Miami :lol:

#2,210 ·
Am going to close the desert thread after that crappy,disappointing ending in IW;if anyone gets any ideas for a thread title that could inspire Petra in Miami and onward,please bring 'em on and get us started on the road eastward

#2,212 ·
Don't know if they have any alligators in the Ukraine(note that I'm not including IMAGINARY gators that mushroom users 'see' while under the influence;)),but gators are usually FRESH-water creatures,with only brief excursions,usually accidental,into salt water.Also,the University of Florida is located at least five hours north of Miami,I'd say.Likewise,Tim might vacation in Miami sometimes,but Jacksonville is also in the north,on the opposite side of the state from Miami.

Getting back to tennis,I recall when a Polish friend told me that the Kirilenko family name had roots in the Ukraine.Given that Makiri is a little bit attractive;)...and that you already felt guilty for betraying Tsurenko...can you account for your whereabouts yesterday?Rumor has it that some weird-looking guy snuck on court with a ballboy's outfit and may have spiked Petra's water bottle before a changeover

#2,215 ·
Don't know if they have any alligators in the Ukraine(note that I'm not including IMAGINARY gators that mushroom users 'see' while under the influence;)),but gators are usually FRESH-water creatures,with only brief excursions,usually accidental,into salt water.Also,the University of Florida is located at least five hours north of Miami,I'd say.Likewise,Tim might vacation in Miami sometimes,but Jacksonville is also in the north,on the opposite side of the state from Miami.
Petra not Ana, so mentioning South Beach is kinda strange and i don't want her to be near Le King LeBrick, tho maybe i should since he has some good stretch of basketball, Gators will do just fine and Timmy The Great with his inspiring speech and will to win can ignite fire in her;)

btw, I was in Newark watching flyers embarrass themselves yet again this season, kinda not a good stretch for all of my faves:sobbing:

#2,213 ·
Someone was watching Shifty's Dubai video :oh:

"In the final set against Kirilenko, she alternated winning return games at love effortlessly, and thenwith indifference on her own serve. She must realize that she has to beat the lesser players to get to the best players. Watching the 174 winners that she hit in Dubai demonstrates the preternatural, nearly otherworldly ability that this woman has. It's sad to see what is somewhat of a character flaw diminish her game. At least she's aware of it. Now she has to deal with it or quit."

#2,216 · (Edited)
If Petra and her cheap manager had a 'real' coach helping her, this probably wouldn't even need to be mentioned. They'd already have been working on it and getting it solved months or years ago as other GS winners have already done and we would already have seen the results.

Oh well, maybe they'll figure it out in a couple of years. :rolleyes:

Losing to a no talent Barbie like Kirilenko..... :haha:

Yeah, Cernosek and Kotyza are geniuses! :lol:

With these two clowns in her corner, I'll be amazed if she ever wins another GS again. :sad:

#2,214 ·
And another good one from tennis.com:

"Yes! "preternatural, nearly otherworldly ability" really nails it. I remember another Czech player from a million years ago, Hana Mandlikova, with the same huge upside but frustrating all-or-nothing game.
I think when someone has that kind of talent, it's difficult to galvanize at their highest level. "Deal with it or quit?" Hello? She's just 22, and she can hang out around #7 and still make millions and have a decent career--but not realize her true, magnificent potential. Which would be a loss for both her and the tennis world.
I think Kvit's best game is up there with Serena's--the only female player who could've provided us with a great rivalry in women's tennis. Too bad they're so rarely 'on' at the same time.
Watching Aga, Maria, or Vika is so hum-drum by comparison."

#2,219 ·
You guys, I haven't posted in here since she lost, but I assume we have already covered the fact that right after she brought Kotyza out, both times, she would immediately get broken :hysteric:

I mean. Why. :sobbing:

#2,221 ·
Queen of Aces with Petra Kvitova
What’s the best match you have ever played?
I think the best match I’ve ever played – although perhaps it wasn’t my best tennis - was the final of Wimbledon when I beat Maria Sharapova. It was a very special moment.

What’s the worst?
Well, I think it would probably be the semi-final at the Australian Open last year when I lost to Maria Sharapova. I had lots of chances to break her and maybe win the match but unfortunately I lost in the end. There are possibly matches where I played worse tennis, but this one was a disappointing loss.

If you could play a match against any player from history, who would it be and why?
When I was growing up my idol was Martina Navratilova so it would be very nice for me to hit with her. I think for us Czechs, Martina is a legend for us.

What’s your comfort food/guilty pleasure if you lose a match?
I’m usually not too bad after a loss, sometimes it can take a day to get over, sometimes hours, and sometimes just five minutes (laughs). I usually try not to dwell on the past and head off to the movies or something, rather than comfort food after a loss.

Who was your idol growing up?
Martina Navratilova

What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever been sent by a fan?

Hmmm, well I get sent a lot of photos to autograph, which my Dad helps me with sending them back. I did once get sent a lucky bear, but nothing that strange yet! Only nice things.

What strange thing is regularly in your suitcase as you travel round the world?
Gosh, I’m not sure I have anything strange in my suitcase....it’s just packed full of shoes and clothes mainly! I think I’m pretty normal....I hope I am! (Laughs)

What would be your last meal on earth?
For sure it would be sushi. It doesn’t matter if it’s lunch or dinner. Maybe both! (Laughs) I love dragon rolls.

What’s the one object you couldn’t live without?
I’m travelling so much, so I’d say my phone. It’s so important to help me stay connected with my friends and family.

Craziest or funniest question you’ve ever been asked in a press conference?
It wasn’t directed to me, but we had a press conference once for our Fed Cup team in Belgium, I think. It was a press conference that lasted for 10 minutes or so, and at the end, the last question was to our captain, who got asked when we would arrive for the tie…which was pretty funny because we obviously had already arrived because we were sitting there for the press conference!
source

#2,222 ·
Kvitova Headline Act In Katowice

Petra Kvitova tops the bill as the European clay court season kicks off at the inaugural BNP Paribas Katowice Open.
Published April 07, 2013 07:32
Petra Kvitova

KATOWICE, Poland - Save for the occasional Fed Cup tie, Petra Kvitova has been shorn of the opportunity to appear on home soil since 2010. And while next week's inaugural BNP Paribas Katowice Open is not technically in her native Czech Republic, in the globetrotting world of a leading tennis player, it is as good as on her doorstep.

The tournament, hosted at the futuristic-looking Spodek arena, is just a two-hour drive from Kvitova's home across the Czech-Polish border in Fulnek, offering her the ideal launch pad for the 2013 clay court season. But, it is not just the location that is ideally suited to the Czech's needs.

Katowice is - alongside Stuttgart - one of just two indoor clay events on the calendar, a fact that is a boon to Kvitova, who in recent years has produced her best tennis when the elements have been removed from the equation.

Not that the top seed is likely to have it all her own way; she is joined in the draw by eight other former clay court title winners, including the high-flying Roberta Vinci.

On the back of a quarterfinal run in Miami, Vinci reached a career-high ranking on No.13 last Monday and, despite turning 30 in February, is currently playing some of the best tennis of her career.

However, the Italian has not been handed the easiest of draws in Poland. Should she see off the mercurial Andrea Hlavackova first up, she will play the winner of the first round encounter between two of the WTA's bright young things, Kiki Bertens and Lara Arruabarrena.

Also in Vinci's half of the draw are the hard-hitting trio of Klara Zakopalova, Kaia Kanepi and Laura Robson, who are seeded No.3, No.6 and No.8 respectively. Meanwhile, Julia Goerges, Alizé Cornet and Sabine Lisicki will be providing principal competition in Kvitova's half.

#2,223 ·
Watch out for Kaia. Her 2010 Wimbledon QF with Petra was the most incredible match. When she's on, she can annihilate anyone.

#2,228 ·
:rolls: I was taking about full version of interview in MFDnes not online version or it's the same? First they screwed ipad app and you can't resubscribe, now they don't want to accept my number from website:lol:

btw, She has whole week before FedCup no need to w\d, also with win in Katowice she can easily tank Stuttgart cos unless she reaches final there her results would mean nothing on her rankings if she lifts Katowice trophy, more important good results in Madrid\Rome

#2,230 ·
I don't know if there is some longer version but I don't think so it is something like short article rather than a normal type interview. :rolleyes: And I've just copied this because you were writing that you can't open the website or something like that. ;)
I meant withdrew because of that cold which could come back after the physical load from the matches. ;)

And of course, Madrid and Rome are much more important, but they're not as close as Katowice in terms of time and I'd like to see some matches with her. :) :p

Copyright infringement? :scared:

I hope no-one from idnes.cz EVER reaches this forum :lol:

EDIT: idnes tennis section also posted a cute interview with one of Ivan Lendl's five daughters :hearts:
Well, I did include this: ;) Zdroj: http://sport.idnes.cz/ So it should be enough. :rolleyes:

#2,232 ·
In her blog today,Kookie said that she had a hard time understanding her buddy Voracova sometimes when Renata has spoken in her Moravian accent.She also sort of implied that such folk use certain local slang that's not employed in the rest of the CR.Was Kookie just exaggerating,having a little fun at her friend's expense?Or is it true that Petra and other Czechs occasionally have difficulty grasping what people from the Moravian region are saying...perhaps when they're speaking quickly??

#2,233 ·
Well, in today's world I'd guess that it is just a little joke at her because it is possible that you don't understand a few words but I don't think so it would be so bad that you wouldn't understand at all.
The other thing is the older people from villages who uses their native dialect ("Nářečí" in Czech) that is connected with the part of Czech Republic they come from. The main difference between common language and dialects is in ending of the words (for example: verb carry - nesou, nesó, nesú, nesu, nesou; which means 'They carry' - 1st version is Bohemian, 2nd and 3rd Moravian, 4th Silesian - where is Fulnek - and 5th is Czech). But now the differences between dialects are disappearing and majority of the Czech people use The Common Czech language which is mainly based on Bohemian dialect. :cool:
That's what I - as non-educated person in this field - can say, hope it helps you to understand it a little. :) :rolleyes:

#2,241 ·
Great news!:bounce: If Azarenka wouldn't have the same idea, I'd like to travel there to see her play (if I could make it). :hearts:

#2,253 ·
Petra never gets her points from the same tournaments two years in a row. Watch her win USO and YEC this year.

#2,255 ·
There's first time for everything. ;)

Yes,it's true that having a high seed can give you advantageous draws and help in other ways.However,even if Petra somehow made it back into the Top 4,she'd only lose it again a short time later unless she had improved her consistency in some of the areas where she still doesn't act like an elite player.If Petra ever gets back into the Killer Mode that she had in 2011,then she can probably make big rankings gains in only a few months' time
Truth. :worship:

#2,257 ·
Well, this artice was written by some who is confusing Davis cup with Fed cup: "Petra also rallied to keep alive her country in the Davis Cup Semifinals" and thinks that Jankovic will beat the winner of this match: "I ultimately have Serb Jelena Jankovic beating the winner here".:facepalm: So it is not so much relevant for me. :rolleyes:
Although I agree with that stratosphere and stuff. :cool:

#2,259 ·
Check this great article (mixed timeline with Dubai/Doha, but the rest is OK):

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/04/upswings-downswings/47199/#.UXq2N7UqxvA

Things seemed to be going according to plan in the early stages of Petra Kvitova’s third-round match with Julia Goerges in Stuttgart on Thursday. Through the first two and a half games, each of these notoriously inconsistent players had shown off, as expected, a few gems and a few flaws. At 1-1, serving into the deuce court, Kvitova threw her toss up for a second serve. The ball seemed to be in the right place above her, her swing looked OK, and her serve landed near the middle of the box. Unfortunately, it was the middle of the ad court box, a meter or so wide of the center service line. It was, by all appearances, going to be one of those days for Kvitova.

But as anyone who has followed Kvitova’s career with an even cursory interest knows, appearances can be deceiving when it comes to the 23-year-old Czech. If you're a gambler, you might try this as your betting system with her: Whatever you think Kvitova is going to do, that means she’s about to do the opposite.:D Of course, that's not how it worked this time. This time Petra would follow that double-fault with some similarly horrid play through the rest of the first set. With the German playing inspired tennis in front of her home-country fans and on her favorite surface, it looked like an early exit for Kvitova was all but assured.

Naturally, she won the match, and won it going away. Kvitova finished the third set with a volley of cannon-shots winners, and very few errors in between them. The memory of that earlier hacker-level double fault was long gone. She had won her second-straight three-setter—Kvitova often rides the tennis see-saw—and will face second seed Li Na on Friday.

Kvitova has had—can you guess?—and up-and-down season so far. After being upset by Laura Robson in Australia, a Czech journalist warned me that the bottom seemed to be dropping out for Kvitova. What did she do next? She went to Dubai and beat Ana Ivanovic, Agnieszka Radwanska, Caroline Wozniacki, and Sara Errani for the title, then moved on to Doha and played one of the best matches of her career in nearly beating Serena Williams. This was the Kvitova of 2011, the Wimbledon champion who had threatened to take over No. 1, and who was widely believed to be the future of the women’s game.

Still, the Kvitova of 2013 is ranked No. 8, not No. 1, and her results in March and April have been more traditionally mixed. She arrived in Stuttgart trying to forget her biggest disappointment of the year so far, the defeat of her beloved Fed Cup team, the two-time defending champions, at the hands of Italy in the semifinals. Kvitova has always thrived in the team competition; as with many unsteady talents, playing for others seems to focus her, to force her to cut down on the walkabouts. This time, though, she took a stinging straight-set loss to Roberta Vinci on the first day, and the Czechs never recovered.

What’s holding Kvitova back? Why has she turned out, so far, to be a perennial dark horse, rather than the game’s next thoroughbred? Comparing her to another 23-year-old, Victoria Azarenka, is instructive. At the end of 2011, Kvitova beat Vika in a high-quality three-setter to win the WTA Championships. Power won the day that time, and many of us assumed that Kvitova’s strength in that department would continue to win the day. That’s how it had been for the women since the late-90s, when Venus and Serena Williams upped the pace quotient. Women’s Grand Slam champions were inevitably the players who could hit the ball past their opponents from the baseline. I wrote at the time that Kvitova was that type, while Azarenka wasn’t, and that’s why she would struggle to win majors.

I was wrong. What happened instead was a little like what has happened on the men’s side in recent years—speed, even more than power, has become the paramount virtue. Azarenka, like Novak Djokovic, used a mix of offense and defense, hitting and running, to reach No. 1 and win two Australian Opens. A little farther down the ranking, three scramblers, Radwanska, Kerber and Errani, all passed Kvitova in 2012. At the moment, it’s the Williams sisters’ speed, rather than their power, that’s proving to be their most influential advance. (No woman has put the two together the way Serena has.)

Kvitova isn’t merely a ball-basher: The six-footer makes up for her lack of quickness with pretty good anticipation, and she has touch as well. She hit two forehand drop shots for winners against Georges today. It isn’t that she’s streaky, exactly; Kvitova is literally hit and miss, miss and hit. Alternating bombs and misfires from the baseline, she gives both opponents and fans little rhythm to work with. Her matches can feel like anti-narratives (she’s brutal on the Racquet Reaction writer). Stroke-wise, Kvitova has no middle ground; even from well behind the baseline, she’ll try to send a backhand screaming into her opponent’s corner of the court. She goes for winners from everywhere, because she can hit winners from everywhere; unfortunately, she can also make errors from everywhere. You might advise her to dial it back and hit more safe rally shots, except that she’s inconsistent with those as well.

There’s something else, aside from steady strokes, that marks Kvitova as different from the women’s Top 3. Serena, Maria, and Vika all wear masks of competitive defiance—game faces—when they walk on court. They can be intimidating. Kvitova doesn’t. She can look calm, anxious, frustrated, fired up or downright sad, and when she wins a point that she really wants, she lets out a bloodcurdling shriek in Czech. But personally intimidating she isn’t.

Maybe that’s another reason to root for her. Kvitova’s game can be glorious; she has something of the easy power of her countryman, Tomas Berdych. It can also be a train wreck. But if you can get by her maddening style, this shyly friendly small-town native makes for a likable star—or anti-star.

My favorite part of Kvitova’s win today was a conference she had with her coach, David Kotyza. This wasn’t a lecture or a harangue. Instead of standing above her, Kotyza sat on the bench next to Kvitova. While he did most of the talking, she responded, and her facial expressions let you know that she was listening and processing. When it was over and time was called, the two slapped hands; she looked better for the pep talk. And she was: Unlike many women who get a visit from their coach, Kvitova's game improved, and kept improving.

You never know what’s coming next from her.

#2,260 ·
A great article. Thanks. :yeah:

#2,261 ·
Great Article from Soumojit Basu
http://www.tennisearth.com/news/ten...-Whatâ??s-holding-her-back-on-Clay-169407.htm

Some of the quotes should be sculpted on a rock:

In order to win finals, something she is adept at doing, Petra has to first get there and ‘choking’ in the rounds prior to that is simply not excusable for a player of her talent.

Another common sight on the tennis court is Kvitova getting easily frustrated by her game, her surroundings and her opponent’s defensive tactics. It’s fair to say that Kvitova is not the hardest worker on court, preferring to finish points early. A lot of her opponents have figured out that going to toe to toe with Petra is foolhardy and more often than not they will get pummelled to submission, hence the best strategy could be to lengthen rallies and wait for Kvitova’s patience to run out.

She takes a ‘faster court’ mentality on clay courts and expects to get away with it. Against players who either scrap well, are good at absorbing power – namely Marion Bartoli, Angelique Kerber, Li Na, Roberta Vinci, Vera Zvonareva, Maria Kirilenko – the Czech is not ahead in any of those head to heads. If this were against a few players, it could be an anomaly but Kvitova is caught out by ‘counter punchers’ more often than not.

If Kvitova is to play better on clay, and in general her career, she will have to improve her physical fitness and realize that in order to win the tight matches she has to hang in and drag the set for as long as she can, calculating that ‘nerves’ and ‘fitness’ are issues that will obviously be gnawing away at her opponent as well. The change is definitely apparent in 2013, her losses in three sets have not thrown up uncompetitive finals sets as she has generally forced her opponent to come up with answers in the critical stages instead of getting frustrated and gifting her adversary the win.

#2,262 ·
Very interesting article. :) :worship:

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#2,269 ·
Petra's interview with Polish journalist Robert Pałuba in Madrid
Podczas halowego turnieju w Paryżu nie kryła pani rozczarowania pierwszym miesiącem sezonu. Jak ocenia pani swoje wyniki po nieco dłuższej części sezonu?

- Przede wszystkim bardzo poprawiłam swoją grę w stosunku do tego, jak prezentowałam się w Australii, gdzie miałam słabe wyniki i nie grałam najlepiej. Dobrze zagrałam w Pucharze Federacji, a potem, w Dausze, zagrałam bardzo zacięty mecz z Sereną Williams, który dodał mi dużo pewności siebie. Turniej w Dubaju był dla mnie wspaniały, a poza tym zawsze dobrze jest mieć na koncie jakiś tytuł. To było niezwykle ważne zwycięstwo. Byłam zaskoczona moim wynikiem w Indian Wells, wcześniej zawsze się tam męczyłam. Ćwierćfinał był satysfakcjonującym rezultatem i choć w meczu z Karoliną [Woźniacką] miałam swoje szanse, to nie mogłam narzekać na swój występ. Na chwilę obecną jestem całkiem zadowolona z moich wyników.

Na początku sezonu zmieniła pani specjalistę od przygotowania fizycznego. Jest pani zadowolona z efektów?

- To była duża zmiana, zmieniliśmy całe przygotowanie fizyczne. Zamiast jeździć wysoko w góry, jak w latach poprzednich, zostaliśmy w domu. Bardziej pracujemy nad moim ciałem, mięśniami. Nie chcę powtórzyć historii z 2012 roku, kiedy męczyły mnie kontuzje i dlatego skupiamy się głównie na zdrowiu. Staram się wzmacniać i poprawiać szybkość na korcie, choć nie jest to łatwe i wprowadzenie tego w życie trochę trwa.

Za to niezmiennie od lat pani głównym trenerem jest David Kotyza.

- Zaczęliśmy współpracować w 2009 roku. Wtedy współpracował jeszcze z Ivetą Benešovą, więc opiekował się naszą dwójką, z pewnością nie miał lekko [śmiech]. Byłyśmy dobrymi przyjaciółkami, więc wszystko dobrze się układało. Pamiętam, że swój pierwszy finał, w Hobart, grałam właśnie przeciwko niej. Ta wygrana to piękne wspomnienie, zwłaszcza, że był to nasz pierwszy wspólny turniej.

Co jest kluczem do tak zdrowych relacji na linii trener-podopieczna?

- Doskonale się znamy i rozumiemy, to w relacji z trenerem jest najważniejsze. Spędzamy razem mnóstwo czasu. Jest bardzo bystry, dużo widzi, poprawia moją grę zarówno na korcie jak i poza nim. David ma też świetne poczucie humoru, nigdy się z nim nie nudzę, a przy okazji jest spokojny i zrelaksowany.

Jaki wpływ na zainteresowanie sportem w Czechach mają dekady tradycji i wielkich sukcesów?

- Tenis w naszym kraju ma wspaniałą historię, wszyscy w Czechach chcą grać w tenisa lub hokeja. Pomagają w tym liczne legendy dyscypliny, których sama niestety nie miałam okazji oglądać, jestem za młoda. Gdy byłam dzieckiem, tata zaprowadził mnie na korty, bo nie uprawiałam żadnego sportu. W naszym przypadku padło właśnie na sport narodowy, tenis. Mam dwóch starszych braci, którzy ciągle grali z tatą w tenisa - w ten sposób wylądowałam na kortach w Fulneku.

Zawsze ciepło wypowiada się pani Martina Navrátilová. Jak wyglądają pani relacje z rodaczką?

- Nie mogę powiedzieć, że jesteśmy przyjaciółkami. Spotykamy się głównie w oficjalnych okolicznościach: na Wielkich Szlemach lub gdy komentuje, ale nie należy do mojego sztabu i nie utrzymujemy bezpośredniego kontaktu.

Jak z dwuletniej perspektywy ocenia pani triumf w Wimbledonie? W których sferach życia doświadczyła pani największych zmian?

- Po zwycięstwie w Wimbledonie zmieniło się wszystko, zarówno na korcie, jak i poza nim. Na początku pomyślałam "Wygrałam turniej wielkoszlemowy, więc zawsze muszę grać bardzo dobrze" i czasem trudno mi było udźwignąć presję, którą sama na siebie narzuciłam. Zmieniło się też podejście moich przeciwniczek, które do spotkań ze mną zaczęły przystępować czując, że nie mają nic do stracenia i mogą prezentować swój najlepszy tenis. Pamiętam, że gdy wcześniej sama byłam 50-60. w rankingu i grałam z rywalkami z Top 10, to wychodziłam na kort bez oczekiwań, żeby tylko zagrać najlepiej jak potrafię. Dokładnie tak czują się teraz moje rywalki.

A poza kortem?

- Poza kortem też wszystko jest inne. Oczywiście, mam więcej zobowiązań medialnych czy sponsorskich, ale także ludzie zaczęli mnie wszędzie rozpoznawać, to duża zmiana. To część naszego życia, nie mogę jednoznacznie powiedzieć, czy lubię to, czy nie. Nic nie jestem w stanie na to poradzić, więc po prostu mierzę się z tym.

Była pani największą gwiazdą turnieju w Katowicach. Jakie były pani odczucia związane z imprezą?

- To był bardzo dobry turniej, zwłaszcza jak na jego pierwszą edycję. W moim odczuciu wszystko było należycie przygotowane. Korty były starannie wykonane, zarówno turniejowe, jak i treningowe, piłka nie odbijała się na nich krzywo. Jedzenie też było dobre, byłam bez trenera, więc tego nie widział [śmiech]. Wszystko odpowiednio się ułożyło.

Skąd pomysł, by jeździć bez opieki trenera, nawet na wielkie imprezy?

- David musi czasami pobyć w domu, ma dziewczynę i dzieci. To ważne dla wszystkich trenerów, by czasami byli z rodziną. Dlatego od czasu do czasu sama jeżdżę na turnieje i nawet mam dobre wyniki [Kvitová wygrała bez trenera turnieje w Paryżu, Montrealu i Dubaju - przyp. red.]. Przyznam, że czasami nawet to lubię, ale z drugiej strony nie można przesadzać, trener jest potrzebny.

W kraju, w którym tenis jest tak popularny, brak turnieju WTA musi być niezwykle dokuczliwy.

- Turniej wciąż się odbywa, choć jest mniejszy [ITF o puli 100 tys. dolarów - przyp. red.]. Nie wiem wszystkiego, jak wyglądają kwestie sponsorskie i finansowe. Szefem imprezy jest mój czeski menedżer i stara się przyciągnąć jak najlepsze tenisistki. W tym roku wystąpią Lucie Šafářová i Klára Zakopalová, sama grałam w niej dwa lata temu. Teraz nie mogę, bo jestem w Top 10 i nie pozwalają na to przepisy. Sytuacja finansowa turnieju w Pradze była trudna, więc wypadł z kalendarza.

Namiastką takiej rywalizacji jest czeska liga? Czołowki czescy tenisiści zawsze chętnie w niej występują.

- To duża i silna liga, w której występuje sporo silnych zawodników i zawodniczek. Agnieszka [Radwańska] też gra w naszym klubie w Prościejowie i zawsze chcemy wygrać. Gra przed własną publicznością do zawsze dobre wyzwanie i niezła zabawa, na rozgrywki ligowe przychodzą też moi rodzice. To świetna inicjatywa, bo poza tym fani mogą nas zobaczyć tylko podczas tych meczów Pucharu Federacji, które gramy u siebie.

Czescy fani białego sportu mają doskonałą opinię. Ich entuzjazm udziela się też zawodniczkom na korcie?

- Kibice są niesamowici. Gdy gramy u siebie, można naprawdę poczuć atmosferę, bardzo nam to pomaga. Ale nawet teraz, gdy grałyśmy w Palermo [mecz półfinałowy Pucharu Federacji z Włoszkami - przyp. red.], kibice przyjechali za nami. Zawsze dobrze widzieć fanów na trybunach, którzy są z nami punkt po punkcie w meczu, niezależnie od tego, czy się przegrywa, czy prowadzi, to zawsze jest miłe. To bardzo dla nas ważne.

Podczas finału turnieju w Dubaju na trybunach pojawił się Lukáš Rosol. Jak blisko siebie są kobieca i męska reprezentacja narodowa?

- Wiedziałam, że na trybunach był też Jan Hájek. Za to, gdy Lukáš wygrał niedawno swój pierwszy turniej w Bukareszcie, wysłałam mu SMS-a. Utrzymujemy kontakty z męską reprezentacją, ale też nie za często. Choć oczywiście świetnie jest mieć tak silną drużynę także wśród mężczyzn.
SOURCE