Tennis Forum banner

Elise Mertens

66K views 631 replies 37 participants last post by  Nightcrawl3r 
#1 ·
I think Elise really deserves her own thread!

She's 17 (born Nov 17, 1995) and one of the best juniors! :cheer: Currently she's at #11, but she got a CHR of 10 earlier this year. :D

She's played 2 junior tournaments at the beginning of the year in Australia, made QF in AO - she was Seed 8 and lost only to Kulichkova.

This week, she's trying 10K Netanya in Istrael, playing the qualies successfully for the moment.
She double-bagelled Shir Azran in Q1, beat (3)Olga Parres Azcoitia 0 & 1 in Q2, and plays Shiran Arol Wiegand in final Q round. She shouldn't have much troubel against her. :)

Best luck Elise! :cheer::cheer:

#2 ·
She double-bagelled Arol Wiegand in final Q round :lol:

Then destroyed (4)Keren Shlomo 1 & 0 in R1 :eek: :bowdown:

Then beat Oleksandra Korashvili 5-7 6-1 6-0 in R2 :)

QF vs. (5)Amandine Hesse now - another good test! :cheer:

#5 ·
She spent the last 2 weeks in Sharm-El-Sheikh. :)

2 weeks ago, she reached R2 (beat Martina Pradova 1 & 0 in R1, lost 2 & 0 to (7)Doroteja Eric in R2 - Eric eventually won the tournament).

Last week, much better: she made SF! :yeah: (Beat (Q)Gaelle Rey 7-5 7-5; Agata Baranska 2 & 3 in R2; (1)Yuliya Kalabina 2 & 0 in QF :bowdown: - and lost again to the eventual winner Arabela Fernandez Rabener in SF 1-6 7-6(12) 3-6 :hug:).

#13 ·
What is next for elise?

Maybe back to juniors to play French Open and Wimbledon? I don't think there is any benefit to playing junior tournaments except junior slams ... Focus on $10ks now but junior slams are a good experience especially as she'll be seeded well.

Then maybe $10ks in Belgium after that??

#20 · (Edited)
Elise plays the Trofeo Bonfiglio in Italy (GA) where she's the 3rd seed after Lottner and Bencic.
She made a clean start winning 6-0 6-2 vs. the italian qualified Stefanini and 6-2 6-1 vs. the czech Pantuckova (ITF-43).
She'll now meet the 15th seed Kasatkina in 3rd round ranked 22 and quite in good shape (only player to take a set from Bencic last week).

2nd seed in doubles with Ipek Soylu she won 6-2 6-2 in R1 against Gorches/Van Zyl and 7-6(8) 6-1 against Grimm/Teichmann in R2.

Keep it up Elise :cheer:

#26 ·
All I can think is she wants to finish the year in top 10 to get some JE for 2914.

She hasn't played ITF since she won her $10k in Egypt. I expected she'd play more after that but she didn't. Playing juniors at French open and Wimbledon made sense as they were good experiences but I'm not sure why she has played these juniors since Wimbledon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.