Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria Kirilenko Cheering Thread

229K views 8K replies 245 participants last post by  SloKid 
#1 · (Edited)
SANTA CROCE UNDER 18

Maria Kirilenko d. Petra Cetkovska in the final :):bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

way to go Maria :) she's back after a couple of months out injured.

:bounce:

#2 ·
Congrads to Maria :)

Is this her first tourney since she's been injured?

#3 ·
Way to go, Maria!

I don't know why but she got me so excited after winning her first title! I knew I was going to love her sooner or later and now I am pleased to announce that she is officially my second favorite.

So I cheer for MS if she plays against MK, always.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Go double Maria's SK! ;)

#5 ·
not sure what injury she had but she withdrew from Europen Winter Cup in March (1st week)

she did play in Florence at end of March and got to semis there in grade 2.

final score was 6-0 6-4 over Petra Cetkovska

Still what a title to win as your 1st

#8 ·
Kirilenko, isn't that a Ukranian last name?!

... Certified Lleyki

My girls: Kim, Anna K, Martina, Anastasia, Iroda, Serena and Marta
My boys: Gustavo, Roger, Pete, Marcelo, Marat, Lleyton, James and Andy

#9 ·
yes it is but she's a Muscovite but more importantly she is very good :)

Class of 86/87 (Moscow)
** age-oldest top
Chemarda
Safina
Douchevina
Linetskaya
Kirilenko
Tchekvetadze
Kirianova

#10 ·
Well done Maria! She did it for the Federation! She did it for the Russian Maria's! And she did it for herself! :bounce:

The scores she won by were so impressive! :eek:

Is she still training in Moscow? I think so. But I'm not sure. :confused:

Mrs_Guga, how would you know that Kirilenko is a Ukranian name? You're pretty inelligent! ;)

I wonder if Maria Kirilenko is related to Andrei Kirilenko who plays for the NBA's Utah Jazz? :confused:

#11 ·
Sharky, are you really going to always root for Maria Sharapova over Maria Kirilenko? Always? :confused: What if Maria Sharapova becomes an American citizen in the near future? That is a distinct possiblility. I hope you'll still root for Sharapova over Kirilenko. :D Rememeber Sharky, America has given Maria Sharapova the opportunity to become a top tennis player. If she rewards America by becoming an American citizen, you shouldn't hold it against her. Nor should anyone else. :wavey:

Udachi to the Maria's! :bounce:

Reactions: joie
#12 ·
the cat said:
Rememeber Sharky, America has given Maria Sharapova the opportunity to become a top tennis player. If she rewards America by becoming an American citizen, you shouldn't hold it against her.
I guess, we'll never know whether she'd have become an equally good player, shall we? Besides, she is not a top tennis player yet, so let's wait and see.
:cool:

#13 ·
Why not tenn_ace? Whether Maria Sharapova is a Russian or American citizen is secondary. She will live and train in America even if she stays a Russian citizen. And I hope she does. I think she'll be an equally good player whether she is a Russian or American citizen. Tenn_ace, why do you beg to differ? :confused:

#14 ·
the cat said:

Mrs_Guga, how would you know that Kirilenko is a Ukranian name? You're pretty inelligent! ;)

LOL! Thanks! Because I love countries and the people in them! Besides, had she been Russian, she would most probably have the suffix -a, -va and many Russian names have "v"s in the endings somewhere, right. I notice that many Ukranian names just end in -o or -ko. I always see Ukranian names like that, with the exception of a few I can only think of right now.

#15 ·
the cat said:
Why not tenn_ace? Whether Maria Sharapova is a Russian or American citizen is secondary. She will live and train in America even if she stays a Russian citizen. And I hope she does. I think she'll be an equally good player whether she is a Russian or American citizen. Tenn_ace, why do you beg to differ? :confused:
because I don't like that talk about opportunities... Other Russian girls have proved that "being in the States is a prerequisite to being a successful" is not true.

btw, I never promised to agree to everything you post, cat:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Mrs_Guga, you are very alert! it's no wonder you're in college! ;)

tenn_ace, you don't think it's beneficial for Russian tennis players to live and train in America, with much better facilities and weather, rather than in Russia? :confused: I think you'll finally agree with me on this one! ;)

#17 ·
The summer weather in Russia is alot better than in the US or very similar ;)

We got some new facilities cropping up all over the country so its not exactly 3rd world or like in the UK.

Just need some coaches to teach the players how to serve.

#19 ·
Okat tenn_ace, we'll agree to disagree! :eek:

Eggy, doesn't the UK have good tennis training facilitites?

Also tenn_ace, I'm glad the tennis facility situation is improving in Russia. But when Maria Sharapova and her father Yuri moved to Florida in 1994, living and training in America was the correct choice for the Sharapova's. That point can never be disputed!

#20 ·
UK is a big joke, hardly any clubs and when you get there you have to be a member, kids get kicked out by members who say we've paid our subs so we have rights.

Coaching in Uk is even worse, that why all the best Brit Coaches go it alone rather than work for a dinosaur ( LTA)

#22 ·
UK is a big joke.
I hope you mean in tennis terms EGGY;) :p :rolleyes: .
I'm ashamed to say I agree. Our best British hopes for tennis, are 12 and 10 years old, train in Florida and are of Bosnian descent.
The nearest decent tennis courts to my house are 45min. drive away and the courts are concrete. And there are NO tennis coaches at this place, and it has the CHEEK to call itself a tennis club:eek: . And the Bosnian girls train in Florida because the LTA wouldn't give funding so they could stay and train in Britain.
Us Brits, only have 2 players who can be called decent.
Henman, is posh and his parents could afford to pay for private lessons.
Rusedski, is Canadian. Things are so dire in this country, we've had to resort to steeling people from our former colonies!!!!:eek: !

At least the Russian and American people have alot of good players to cheer for.

#23 ·
good luck to Masha in Paris :)

Masha plays Ally Baker tomorrow

#24 ·
She gives away alot of size to Ally. :eek: I hope she can out manuever Ally.

Udachi Maria! :bounce:

#26 ·
Sharky, you're right. Maria is playing great on the clay! :bounce: And the clay court should help keep Ally from over powering her.

What's with this gotcha stuff? :confused: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.