Tennis Forum banner

Miami R2: (5) Angelique Kerber outlasts Shaui Peng 6-3 1-6 7-6 (7-5)

10K views 128 replies 63 participants last post by  Nathanael 
#1 ·
Match lasted two hours...

No words for Kerber's game she will most likely flop next round... :eek:

You tried Peng.... :eek:

#14 ·
Kerber looks dull as usual, no weapon at all, service is never a top ten standrad, pushing and trying to wait for Peng's error, nothing speacial.

Peng, who never and will never win a title, lead 5-2, hae chances to close this match and find a way to lose. Go back to play your doubles match.

#15 ·
I still love Peng's DTL shots :hug: Especially on that FH side :hug:

#55 ·
Not that many close matches this year. Jankovic beat her going away in Brisbane after she dropped the opening set TB. Need we even discuss the Sydney final? Pennetta beat her in the AO. Lost to Ana in Dubai in a third set TB. Lost to Torro-Flor last week in IW, after serving for the match. And that's just this year.

Let's not forget her collapse against Kanepi at Wimby last year. Her loss to Suarez Navarro at the USO. Losing to Petra twice last fall. Need I go on?
This year Kerber has only lost to players playing the big game. Nothing to be ashamed of. She's a example of consistency. That's what you learn to know about Kerber when you follow WTA. That's the huge progress I saw with her since the YEC. She's a top 10 player and it's only the beginning.

Patrick's comments are pertinent. I don't know how much a scheduling can be exhausting, though. I remember Hingis saying training is more exhausting than competing on the tour.

#58 ·
This year Kerber has only lost to players playing the big game. Nothing to be ashamed of. She's a example of consistency. That's what you learn to know about Kerber when you follow WTA. That's the huge progress I saw with her since the YEC. She's a top 10 player and it's only the beginning.

Patrick's comments are pertinent. I don't know how much a scheduling can be exhausting, though. I remember Hingis saying training is more exhausting than competing on the tour.
She's been a top 10 player for 2 years now. We're way past the "beginning". She's never going to be inside the top 5. Getting to #5 was as close as she'll ever get.

#20 ·
I feel like Angie just won a grand slam lol...that was too much for me. I just wanted angie to win one match to avoid a first round exit.

#25 ·

Kerber needs to overthink her scheduling: less is more. You are a top 10 player now, act accordingly and manage your energy level throughout the year.
She struggles to maintain the depth on her groundstrokes and serve, which is crucial for her game. Also drags down her confidence and she becomes a pusher rather than a real counterpuncher. Still would like to see more aggression on ROS. So many players have a poor 2nd serve she can attack.

#40 ·
She did slightly more than that: Angie has the knack of going far to retrieve crosscourt, with powerful resilience, which leads the agressive Peng to the fault... in that kind of game, the mental fight is very important. Angie can usually counterpunch with more power than that, still could find some energy today to stay solid on the right points. Peng's game is slightly too risky to win tie breakers against players like Kerber, who has the experience of securing the right points.

Still, with a few lucky winners, Peng could have won this one indeed. Kerber was just too tired overall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.