Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Return Winner: The Laura Robson support thread.

Tags
#sluts gif
465K views 5K replies 158 participants last post by  miffedmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the old thread has gone over the 5,000 post limit, I figure that it needs to be replaced by a shiny new one. So here it is.

Achievements Pre-injury:
  • Olympic mixed doubles silver medal (w/ Andy Murray)
  • Singles semi final - Palermo 2012
  • Grand Slam 4th round - US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013
  • Defeated Kim Clijsters in her final singles match
  • Singles Final - Guangzhou 2012
  • WTA Newcomer of the year 2012

Achievements - Post Comeback:
  • Singles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville
  • Doubles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville (W/ Freya Christie)
  • Qualifier US Open 2016

#1,177 ·
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

Press conference from 3rd Round.

Q. You say there are a lot of things you can work on. What in particular?
LAURA ROBSON: I would say shot selection in the points. You know, sometimes I still go for a bit too much where I’d be better off playing an easier shot rather than going for winners the whole time.
And, yeah, you know, I think I can improve on anything. Movement is still an in progress thing. Lots of things really.

Q. Is the shot selection a particular issue playing somebody like Sloane who gets so many balls back?
LAURA ROBSON: Against anyone, you know, if you try to finish the rally too early, it’s never going to work out that well.
So, yeah, I mean, Sloane obviously moves extremely well. I thought today my shot selection actually wasn’t too bad.

http://www.laura-robson.net/interviews/australian-open-2013-3rd-round-after-loss-to-stephens/

#1,181 ·

New schedule makes more geographical sense (assuming she has a week training in Florida in between Florianopolis and Indian Wells). I would have still preferred her to play Memphis instead of Florianopolis but hey.

#1,182 ·

Yes, it's regretful but for the best if it is anything to do with the shoulder...

Does anybody know actually what surface Florianopolis is ?? I really wish she would enter KL/Memphis, these are by far the weaker entry lists.

#1,183 ·

Yes, it's regretful but for the best if it is anything to do with the shoulder...

Does anybody know actually what surface Florianopolis is ?? I really wish she would enter KL/Memphis, these are by far the weaker entry lists.
It's on Hard surface.

And i don't see a problem with her entering a tournament with a strong field. It can all do her more good than harm. I'd rather her beat top players in tournaments than go into a tournament due to how "weak" it is.

#1,185 ·

Sloane's hype is crazy right now. :lol:

I'm really happy for her. She knows her game and she know how to use it. Something Laura is struggling with. It would have been great if she beat an in form Serena though :p

#1,187 ·

Time to dust off the TF account I think and start posting again rather than just lurking!

Congrats to Laura for the victory over Petra, decent AO. As one of the other posters said she's pretty much matching Sloane's results from last year which seeing as they're 10 months apart in birth date is pretty good. Laura is also ranked significantly higher than Sloane was at this point in time. Sloane's YE ranking when she was 18 (3 months before her 19th birthday) was 97, Laura's YE ranking last year (1 month before her 19th birthday) was 53. So plenty of time to play catch up and shut some of GM up ;)

Hopefully the shoulder is nothing too serious, little worrying she keeps getting niggles there. She's def out of Pattaya as Spiceboy said, Laura confirmed it in a tweet to Kirilenko today. Sensible decision I think, rest up for a couple of weeks and prep for Fed Cup and hopefully a successful run in Doha and beyond. Be great to see her getting some more points in tournies outside of the grand slams, although these are obvs the biggest points opportunities moving up the rankings really needs more runs like those in China and Palermo last year. It's a difficult balance with the schedule choosing weaker tournaments where you can load up on points but still playing enough ones with quality fields so you can toughen up and improve your game. Hopefully her team will find the right balance.

Oh and belated happy birthday Laura!

#1,189 ·

Time to dust off the TF account I think and start posting again rather than just lurking!

Congrats to Laura for the victory over Petra, decent AO. As one of the other posters said she's pretty much matching Sloane's results from last year which seeing as they're 10 months apart in birth date is pretty good. Laura is also ranked significantly higher than Sloane was at this point in time. Sloane's YE ranking when she was 18 (3 months before her 19th birthday) was 97, Laura's YE ranking last year (1 month before her 19th birthday) was 53. So plenty of time to play catch up and shut some of GM up ;)

Hopefully the shoulder is nothing too serious, little worrying she keeps getting niggles there. She's def out of Pattaya as Spiceboy said, Laura confirmed it in a tweet to Kirilenko today. Sensible decision I think, rest up for a couple of weeks and prep for Fed Cup and hopefully a successful run in Doha and beyond. Be great to see her getting some more points in tournies outside of the grand slams, although these are obvs the biggest points opportunities moving up the rankings really needs more runs like those in China and Palermo last year. It's a difficult balance with the schedule choosing weaker tournaments where you can load up on points but still playing enough ones with quality fields so you can toughen up and improve your game. Hopefully her team will find the right balance.

Oh and belated happy birthday Laura!

youve been away for a while :wavey: welcome back !!

#1,194 ·

Welcome back, Play_Suspended :wavey: It's like 2008 all over again!
God that seems like ages ago. I remember thinking when Laura won wimby jrs 'I wonder where she'll be in 5 years time', well things haven't worked out too badly!

Nice to see Sveta making a comeback, makes it feel like 2007 to me, Justine and Kuzzy at the top of the WTA. :worship:

#1,196 ·

I was supposed to upload this last week but decided not to because two other AO Highlights were removed by TA. Anyway.

Laura Robson vs Melanie Oudin 2013 Australian Open 1st round Highlights

Reactions: Royals.
#1,202 ·

It's a tricky one, injuries etc can pop up and get in the way of stuff. I'd be happy with top 30 or top 32 so she's seeded for the AO next year. Lot of points to defend at the end of the year tho, can see her perhaps moving into the top 30 during the year and then dropping back out of it just before the end. So possibly 35-40 for YE ranking?

#1,204 ·

It's a tricky one, injuries etc can pop up and get in the way of stuff. I'd be happy with top 30 or top 32 so she's seeded for the AO next year. Lot of points to defend at the end of the year tho, can see her perhaps moving into the top 30 during the year and then dropping back out of it just before the end. So possibly 35-40 for YE ranking?
Seems a lot more realistic to me. :)

I hope she can edge into the Top 30 though. like 31/32.

#1,206 ·

Morita retired at a set and 1-0 down.

Laura Robson vs Ayumi Morita 2011 U.S Open 1st round Highlights

#1,208 ·

With only a handful of points to defend until Roland Garros in May, can Laura get a seeding there? Players ranked 32 currently has 1498 points, Laura at #43 has 1253 points. So needs around 250 points or to be safe 300 in the next few months to be seeded at FO.

#1,210 ·

As far as ranking points go, there's really not a huge difference between players ranked between 20-40. One big result can see a player rocket up.

Even a moderate goal of winning just one match at the 3 PMs and 2 P5s between now and RG will earn 380 points. Enough to see Laura well inside the top 30. I think a close-to-top 20 ranking by Wimbledon is a very realistic expectation.

#1,211 ·

Even a moderate goal of winning just one match at the 3 PMs and 2 P5s between now and RG will earn 380 points. Enough to see Laura well inside the top 30. I think a close-to-top 20 ranking by Wimbledon is a very realistic expectation.
Interesting, its really so draw dependent at this stage. Get a few good draws and she can rack those wins up relatively easily even at this level. Bad draws and the opportunity is gone. Will be so much easier when she does eventually get seeded in the big events and she gets the chance to pick up decent points before meeting the big guns.

I'd be ecstatic with anything in the 20-30 range by wimbledon.

#1,214 · (Edited)

@lrobsonfanpage: Prize money for Laura: 2013: $84,232 Career: $607,274

Not bad earnings at all. :eek:
Yeah xD Very good for this year so far! Lot of expenditure for a travelling tennis pro though, bet Krajan doesn't come cheap and having to pay for her team's travel, board, food etc. Did you see that article at the end of last year where she said Krajan moaned cos they had to travel economy rather than business class and he couldnt sleep on the flights? Laura said there was no way she could afford for them to fly business class yet xD :lol:

Oh any idea who runs laura's fanpage? The unofficial one? Wondered if they were on here at all.

#1,227 ·

According to this article her dad sorts out her finances and give Laura an allowance plus bonuses.

Edit - I didn't even realise that Laura has her own sub-forum too! We need a name :drool:
That article :hysteric:

It claims that Virgina Wade is the only British woman to have won over $1million dollars in prize money....both Baltacha and Keothavong have :lol:

But thanks for the read :)

#1,226 ·

^ No worries LL, there is no limit on changing flags ;)

I changed it like 200 times already :oh: :oh:

There is, however , limit on changing username ( Once every three months ) :)
Oh really?!

Thanks for letting me know! i was so worried i wouldn't be able to change it back. I know about the username limit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.