Tennis Forum banner

Off season

17K views 116 replies 23 participants last post by  doni1212 
#1 ·
Two months without tennis... :sobbing: But she'll play some exhos, so it's not gonna be that boring.

#2 ·
I hope Ana has a good off season for a change..

Hopefully she sees some sense and hires a fitness coach.

#5 ·
I think she's overranked but it was an otherwise OK year in many respects.

But it was a titleless year. Her first since the awfulness that was '09 :sad:.

#6 ·
I don't pray for a kind draw anymore, I pray for her brain to show up. Top 3 players have been very solid this year, but it, however, doesn't mean it's gonna stay that way. It's WTA.

Everyone is vulnerable in early rounds, especially those who defend a huge amount of points. If she doesn't believe in herself, she'll lose, no matter if it's Radwanska or Azarenka. I think that the most vulnerable opponent in R4 is Masha. She always struggles in R4. Azarenka is the most consistent one, Ana would have to play one of the best matches since 2008 to beat her.

#9 ·
Also Ana said she plans to gain some weight, and finally acknowledged that she is way too skinny. Apparently her coach has been telling her she's too skinny too :eek:
Did she say that? :unsure:

#10 · (Edited)
I have no idea whether she really said that but if she does decide to be stronger, I hope she doesn't make the mistake of thinking that just by eating a bit more it will happen. It might happen for a young guy who basically has natural steroids due to testosterone etc, but it won't happen for a woman.

The only way to know you are getting stronger is to make it measurable. You have to lift and increase the amount of weight you are able to lift. For women in particular, they tend not to add muscle if they just eat, they add fat instead. Well, it can be part of a woman's curvy and soft charm (up to around 20% the fat usually goes to the "right places" for a woman, although some women are more unlucky), but it doesn't help them as an athlete. If she can lift 1 kg more per week during the offseason that would be a good goal. Figure out how much weight she can move in each basic exercise and make sure it improves every week, probably lifting 2-3 times a week with at least 48 hrs between sessions would be good, together with training for her cardiovascular system on off days (interval training, cycling, running).

A good test to make sure you are gaining muscle more than fat is to check your vertical jumping height. It needs to improve or at the very least stay the same when you increase your strength, otherwise you are adding more fat than muscle. Sprint speed over 10m needs to improve or at the very least remain stable.

You should probably note that unlike many other people I have never felt that Ana is too skinny or anything like that. She is clearly not anorexic or anything, she looks like a gorgeous model, and neither do I believe that she is "naturally bigger" just because she was a bit plumper the first time I saw her. Genetics only plays a smallish role in determining an athlete's muscular strength, most of it is training unless you need to be as strong as an olympic weightlifter. Also her parents are pretty slim, as is her brother if I recall. But sometimes I think that Ana might actually be afraid of the kind of hard training necessary to build strength and stamina. I hope she proves that this is not the case.

#11 ·
I have no idea whether she really said that but if she does decide to be stronger, I hope she doesn't make the mistake of thinking that just by eating a bit more it will happen. It might happen for a young guy who basically has natural steroids due to testosterone etc, but it won't happen for a woman.

The only way to know you are getting stronger is to make it measurable. You have to lift and increase the amount of weight you are able to lift. For women in particular, they tend not to add muscle if they just eat, they add fat instead. Well, it can be part of a woman's curvy and soft charm, but it doesn't help them as an athlete. If she can lift 1 kg more per week during the offseason that would be a good goal. Figure out how much weight she can move in each basic exercise and make sure it improves every week, probably lifting 2-3 times a week would be good, together with training for her cardiovascular system on off days (interval training, cycling, running).
She must hire a fitness coach + visit a nutritionist. Losing weight or gaining weight on your own is horrible for an athlete.

Since it's an off season, guys, you could vote for our lovely idiot in Sexysova's thread :hearts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=470829

#14 · (Edited)
Both Ana's parents are strongly built people. Her father is a really big guy, her mom is a good looking tall and strong woman (not fat, not skinny). Her brother looks pretty normal. The problem with Ana is that we see more bones than we should. When people compare her to other slim players, you must notice that their bones look tiny, you don't see Safarova's bones when she's on the court. Ana's upper body doesn't look like a body of an athlete. As I said, she's probably not really anorexic, but losing weight all the time is hardly a good sign. Look at her pics from AO. Did she need to lose weight? No. Even for those who like model-like figure, she looked great. But, really, guys, I hate mentioning it over and over, especially since I love Howard's posts and I think he's a great fan, his contribution to this forum is great... But I must ask, why is it relevant if she looks like a model or not? Skinny Ana is a gorgeous woman, slightly chubby Ana is a gorgeous woman. My favorite Ana is 2008 and second part of 2010 Ana (when it comes to both - looks and game). But that's irrelevant, gaining few kilos won't change the fact that she's gorgeous and I'm sure that even 50 yo Ana will be stunning with those crazy good genes that she has. So, we should discuss which kind of weight suits her tennis. For me it's Ana from the second part of 2010. Slightly lighter than 2008 Ana, but not skinny. 2011 Ana wasn't that bad, it's Ana from the second part of 2012 who looks too fragile.

#24 ·
Look what just got posted :drool:.

#26 ·
Winners like in old good times :bounce: and the win against top players... Can someone tell me Ana's bilance of win-loss against top 10 players in 2012?

#42 ·
Holidays in London :)

FOTO: Sorana Cîrstea a fost în vacanţă la Londra
17/11/2012

Sorana Cîrstea a postat o pirmă fotografie din vacanţa care tocmai s-a încheiat şi pe care a petrecut-o în ultima ei săptămână împreună cu Ana Ivanovic. Mai sus o vedeţi pe jucătoarea noastră în Londra – cel puţin eu aşa am dedus, după autobuzul roşu care se vede în zare. În următoarea lună, Sorana se va pregăti acasă, o decizie bună, deoarece aşa a procedat şi în urmă cu un an, iar rezultatele s-au văzut.
http://doartenis.ro/2012/11/foto-sorana-cirstea-a-fost-in-vacanta-la-londra/#inscore_ifheight_xdc_500

#49 ·
Ana has entered Pattaya City. That pretty much settles her schedule for january and february.. its a weird one TBH. Also ends any possibility of her playing Fed Cup against Slovakia, IMHO.

This is how I think it will be:

Hopman Cup

Week off (not playing Sydney)

AO

Pattaya

Week off (not playing Fed Cup)

Doha

Dubai

#55 ·
:hearts: :hearts:

EXCLUSIVE PHOTO Sorana Cirstea and Ana Ivanovic on holiday in London

Do you remember Sorana Cirstea editorial writing to you last week? These lines start .... "I am writing these lines the 3A ranks, during a Tarom flight, out of reach. Just look up here you say, another routine flight added to the 150-200 made ​​by me this year. Now But I do not expect any tournament at the other end, but a well deserved holiday with my best friend, Ana Ivanovic ".

Thus, the two players were relaxed, had fun and found deeper British capital, even if the city chose them for several holiday seasons come every year to play at Wimbledon. Sorana and Ana spent 5 days 'recovery' in London this week and have returned to training.

From their getaway relaxation, us and share their new through some pictures that we offer below.

http://mysport.gsp.ro/tennisone.ro/note/exclusiv-foto-sorana-cirstea-si-ana-ivanovic-in-vacanta-la-londra-11438.html

#59 ·
OMG our princess Ana looks so fresh and amazing in this pics. Good luck in Pattaya city. It would be great if she manages to start her year this like:

Hopman Cup - winner (with Novak Djokovic)
Australian open - Semifinal
Pattaya city - Winner

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.