Tennis Forum banner

2012 NCAA Individual (Singles + Doubles) Tournament

27K views 382 replies 25 participants last post by  fantic 
#1 · (Edited)
#192 ·
I totally agree. She has great strokes, a nice serve, moves well, and is mentally strong. I was talking to Colette Lewis from ZooTennis down in Athens, and she and I agreed that Cal, unlike Georgia, will have no problem replacing a dominant senior number 1, with Susanyi stepping in for Jana.

Also worth noting that Jana missed out on 8-time All-American status by one win (lost in the second round of doubles in 2010).

#197 ·
Predictions:

(1) Allie Will def. (7) Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar
(6) Jana Juricova def. (3) Nicole Gibbs - Gibbsy hasn't looked that impressive to me this tournament

Sabrina Santamaria def. (9-16) Zsofi Susanyi
(2) Beatrice Capra def. (5) Mallory Burdette

Hope:

(7) Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar def. (1) Allie Will 6-0, 6-0
(3) Nicole Gibbs def. (6) Jana Juricova

Sabrina Santamaria def. (9-16) Zsofi Susanyi
Dgaf.

#198 ·
Juricova advanced to the elite 8 for 3 individual slams.

9 in a row, 9 total, must be a record?

6; Grier, Babos, Miller
5; Cioroch, Coin, Cohen, Miseviciute
4; Zemenova, Zalameda, Mijacika, McDowell, Mosolova, Cossou, Barte / Gullickson, Dy / Will

If Will stays next year and advances in all 3, she'll make the 2nd best, 7

#200 ·
in dbls, ACC teams were eliminated; UVA lost to TENN, GT lost to PEPP.
Experience seems to count, since a lot of those are seniors or juniors.
The only upset by the younger ones is UCLA def. ND

Freshmen are; Burgic, Susanyi, Guillermo.

Juricova, Susanyi, Burdette, Gibbs are the only ones who advanced to both competitions; Susanyi being the only freshman (in fact all classes are represented :lol: )

BU
UCLA

UGA
CAL
-----
UF
TENN

PEPP
STAN

PAC 12 3
SEC 3
BIG 12 1
WCC 1

#201 ·
Women’s Singles Round of 16

#1 Allie Will (1), FLORIDA def. #37 Abigail Tere-Apisah, GEORGIA STATE, 6-1, 6-4
#6 Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (7), TEXAS A&M def. #29 Petra Niedermayerova, KANSAS STATE, 6-4, 6-3

Both were exchanging winners

#3 Nicole Gibbs (3), STANFORD def. #35 Natalie Pluskota, TENNESSEE, 7-6(1), 7-6(6)

Natalie's athleticism and touch really harassed Nicole. Natalie served very well too (but in fact Nicole also served fairly well). Anyway, when Nicole volleyed at the net, Natalie had no problem reaching it and sending it back, resulting in an overhead winner lol.
Nicole isn't overpowering or outmaneuvering the opponents easily anymore, unlike last year's NCAA.

#8 Jana Juricova (6), CALIFORNIA def. #40 Aeriel Ellis, TEXAS, 7-6(4), 6-2

#26 Sabrina Santamaria, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA def. #23 Nina Secerbegovic, BAYLOR, 6-4, 6-4

Just saw a bit, Sabs beats Nina in the same score which Mal dealt to Nina at STAN NCAA team competition.

#13 Zsofi Susanyi (9-16), CALIFORNIA def. #4 Robin Anderson (4), UCLA, 7-5, 6-4

Saw a bit, Robin was scary but Zsofi defended really well. MP was exactly that, Zsofi returning Robin's bombs again and again until Robin made and error.

#5 Mallory Burdette (5), STANFORD def. #14 Zoe Scandalis (9-16), SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, 6-0, 6-3

Mal too good, revenged her UNLV final loss against Zoe. Zoe really couldn't do anything, couldn't return Mal's serves either. Didn't watch the 2nd.

#2 Beatrice Capra (2), DUKE def. #9 Lauren Embree (9-16), FLORIDA, 6-1, 6-3

Trice forced Lauren to be more aggressive, which is surely a good thing. Trice was the more flatter hitter and was very sharp..

#202 ·
Women’s Doubles Round of 16

#13 Ema Burgic-Nina Secerbegovic, BAYLOR def. Alexa Guarachi-Courtney McLane, ALABAMA, 6-3, 6-3

BU just too good. A pleasant surprise, this BU team. Final match for McLane, an exceptional volleyer.

#9 Courtney Dolehide-Pamela Montez, UCLA def. #8 Kristy Frilling-Shannon Mathews (5-8), NOTRE DAME, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3

Thought more or less even, didn't watch the 3rd. ND seniors :hug:

#27 Nadja Gilchrist-Chelsey Gullickson, GEORGIA def. #11 Emina Bektas-Brooke Bolender, MICHIGAN, 4-6, 7-6(0), 6-1

Didn't watch, only the 2nd set tiebreaker.

#15 Jana Juricova-Zsofi Susanyi, CALIFORNIA def. #30 Lauren Mira-Jackie Wu, VANDERBILT, 6-0, 7-5

Didn't watch.

#22 Lauren Embree-Joanna Mather, FLORIDA def. #5 Annie Goransson-Anett Schutting (5-8), CALIFORNIA, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3

Watched from the end of the 2nd. How many times did UF blow 40-0 to allow deuce :tape: Clash between the best #2 dual team this season? (there was of course Duke, but..)

#10 Natalie Pluskota-Kata Szekely, TENNESSEE def. #18 Emily Fraser-Lindsey Hardenbergh, VIRGINIA, 7-6(3), 7-6(2)

Didn't watch.

#32 Lorraine Guillermo-Khunpak Issara, PEPPERDINE def. #23 Alex Anghelescu-Jillian O’Neill, GEORGIA TECH, 6-1, 6-2

Watched a bit. Glad that PEPP team are proving me right thus far :) Khunpak is really an exceptional net volleyer :hearts: Dominated the net.

#2 Mallory Burdette-Nicole Gibbs (2), STANFORD def. #26 Natalie Beazant-Dominique Harmath, RICE, 6-2, 6-2

Watched a bit.

#203 ·
Final 4 appearances from Mijacika;

6; Juricova
3; Mijacika, Dy, Gullickson
2; McDowell, Chifchieva, Vallverdu, Mosolova, Barte, Falconi, Will, Gibbs
1; Munch-Soegaard, Cohen, Ormond, Cossou, Nze, Johansson, Chan, Sanchez, Cecil, McKenna, Muresan, Broosova, Lesniak, Mather, Embree, Tan, Ellis, Cako, Niedermayerova, Anderson

Juricova 6 in a row, but none this season, aims for a record 7.
Will & Gibbs look to tie Mijacika, Dy, Gullickson
Burdette looking for her 1st.

#206 ·
I wasn't there today :( Yesterday was my last day, so now I'm in the same boat as all of you guys haha.

I still stand by my statement that Gibbs/Juricova could be the de facto final, although Burdette has been ON in the singles competition so far, and how she does tomorrow will be interesting to see. Also, so happy Sabs has kept winning, hope she keeps it going, and I definitely think she should play number one next season, such a versatile game!

#217 ·
Ouch! Did you have to remind me about last year when Gibbs took out Barte? That was truly a sad day for me ... the Freshmen taking out the heralded Senior.

Hilary did not play that well that day and the "Fire" that usually accompanies her on the court was missing. However on the other hand, Nicole seems to relish in playing her fellow teammates. She def. Hilary last year and then thrashed Stacy Tan at this year's Pac 12 Championships.

#216 ·
Gibbs :cheer: Please beat Allie :)
Sabs :hug:
Mallory - Clearly so mental for her. She can beat #2 Capra easily but can't beat someone she's beaten many times before in the pressure situation :facepalm: :rolleyes: She's beaten Susanyi twice this year in straight sets, couldn't ask for a better Semifinal opponent.

#220 ·
Quarterfinal

(1)Allie Will (Florida) d. (7)Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (Texas A&M) 63 63
(3)Nicole Gibbs (Stanford) d. (6)Jana Juricova (California) 62 75

(9-16)Zsofi Susanyi (California) d. Sabrina Santamaria (Southern California) 62 76(4)
(5)Mallory Burdette (Stanford) d. (2)Beatrice Capra (Duke) 63 62

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.