Tennis Forum banner

Who will win a 4th title in a row?

3-Time Defending Champions: Who Will Make it 4? - Maria vs Serena

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  cehowardrx7 
#1 ·
Maria and Serena are the only players who have come into this year as 3-time champion at a tournament.

Maria:

2012/2013/2014 Stuttgart Champion

Serena:

2012/2013/2014 US Open Champion
2012/2013/2014 Tour Finals Champion

Who will win a 4th consecutive title this year?

Note:

- Serena is 3-time defending champion at Miami, but since she won her 3rd this year I didn't include it.
- Two players are two time defending champions coming into this year. Sam Stosur 2013/2014 Osaka Champion and Elina Svitolina 2013/2014 Baku Champion.

#4 ·
Given that she has to meet either Petra or Caro in the Semi, then Simona in the final, I give Maria about 50% chance to defend her title.
Petra or Caro on clay. I'm sure Maria is shaking in her boots. I don't think they are credible threats. Not saying it won't happen but there are lower ranked girls who I think have more chance of upsetting Maria at Stuttgart Suarez Navarro and Pliskova come to mind straight away.

#7 ·
I dont know why Serena skips Stuttgart. Top seeds get byes, only 4 matches to a title

#12 ·

#18 ·
Well, we know as of today that Maria won't be defending Stuttgart, beaten by Kerber today. Maria has to defend her FO, which like I said in the Kerber defeat Maria @ Stuttgart thread, will be very difficult this year.

Long ways off to see how Serena does @ the US Open and in the finals of the YEC. HEALTH will be the factor for both of them--especially Serena.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.