Petko Articles & Interviews - Page 34 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 4th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #496
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petko Articles & Interviews

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #497
country flag Katja.

Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute

Katja. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #498
country flag the mixer

the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold the mixer is a splendid one to behold

the mixer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #499
country flag kerberfan

kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute kerberfan has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.si.com/tennis/2015/08/04/...-guest-mailbag
kerberfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #500
country flag Katja.

Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute Katja. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...-german-greats

Quote:
STANFORD, CA, USA - Andrea Petkovic was lying in bed one night contemplating, well, whatever it is Andrea Petkovic contemplates at night, when inspiration hit her: Wouldn't it be great if I could call the greatest German tennis player of all time my coach?

With that, she sent a hopeful email to 22-time major champion Steffi Graf, reaching out to see if Graf would be interested.

"In Las Vegas they have an adidas camp so I did practice with her a few times and I did talk to her and she always helped me a lot," Petkovic told reporters after her first round win at the Bank of the West Classic. "The things she said were very on point and very accurate. She doesn't say a lot but when she says it she hits the point. So I was lying in bed and I got the inspiration so I wrote her an e-mail. She was very nice but she had no interest at all traveling."

The travel obligations incumbent to being a tennis coach are a major roadblock for many of the game's greats, all of whom have a wealth of knowledge and experience to offer but now live entrenched, settled lives. Lindsay Davenport, who along with her husband Jon Leach coaches Madison Keys, has a limited traveling schedule with Keys. When Martina Navratilova joined Agnieszka Radwanska's team in January, they agreed she wouldn't be at every tournament.

But for Graf, even one tournament was too much and she politely declined. "She said she's always there in Las Vegas whenever I'm there but she doesn't want to travel at all," Petkovic said. "Not even a few tournaments. Not at all."

In a serendipitous turn, it was another German great who would end up offering his mentoring services to Petkovic: Boris Becker. While Becker is obviously as full-time as he can be coaching Novak Djokovic, a chance run-in with Petkovic after her loss at the French Open sparked his interest in helping Petkovic.

"After my loss at the French Open I was sitting alone at lunch and he came and sat with me," Petkovic said. "He had seen the match, we talked about it and he gave me a few tips. He gave me his number and said whenever I need something and whenever I had a question I can just ask him. So it turned into a ritual at Wimbledon that whenever we saw each other we went to lunch together at the player restaurant."

Whether it was coincidence or destiny, Petkovic has been picking Becker's brain ever since. "I just asked him, probably for him stupid questions, but just stuff that interested me that I wanted to know," she said. "I really felt he helped me a lot with these questions. Just talking to him I got a little look into his head which was good for me. Also he came to watch my match, which was a huge deal to me. So it's just nice that when I have questions for a Grand Slam champion it's really good to just have somebody you can call anytime."

As Petkovic begins her summer hardcourt season, she's happy to report that she's injury free after a clay and grass season that saw minor injuries and illness derail what had been a strong start to the season. After winning a title at the BNP Paribas Diamond Games in Antwerp and making back-to-back Premier semifinals at the Miami Open and Family Circle Cup, food poisoning knocked her out of the Mutua Madrid Open and a leg injury held her back at the French Open.

"It was so frustrating," Petkovic said. "It was so annoying also. If I would compare it to something, when I got injured one and a half, almost two years ago, I felt like someone just hit me in the head. But that's okay. It hurts really bad when you get hit in the head but then you're over it. But this felt like somebody was constantly stabbing me. It didn't really hurt but it annoying and it was like get off my back already. That's how it felt. I didn't get something huge but I could never really put the work in on court and we all know I need that to play great."

Petkovic took two weeks off after Wimbledon and then threw herself into her most rigorous training block of the last few years. "I just didn't have the time between the grass and the clay to get in physical shape again and it was really annoying. So I really took the time. Normally I play Bad Gastein but I decided not to play there so I could get in great shape again. I feel like I'm on a good way now."

Whether her hard work has any collateral effects remains to be seen. Petkovic admits she arrived to Stanford fatigued due to all the hard yards she's been pulling to prepare for the second half of the season. Unfortunately, the German ended up falling to compatriot Mona Barthel in a third set tiebreaker, cutting her campaign short.

"I'm still a little tired because up until this tournament we were going at it pretty hard," Petkovic said. "So just seeing how this tournament rolls, but I think when I recover a little bit it will all come together at the US Open."
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #501
country flag Fury

Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitr...4726&ipad=true
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #502
country flag Katja.

R2 presser

Quote:
A. PETKOVIC/H. Watson
6‑4, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Andrea, please.

Q. I wonder if you could draw on your experience over the years going up in rankings and then down and bringing it back again. What were some of the tactics you used sort of when you were kind of in that low and trying to regain again?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Well, the thing that I learned with the years is that you have to separate yourself from your ranking and from your tennis player persona. You sort of have to‑‑ if you get into the spiral that you define yourself over your results and over your ranking, you're in real trouble, and it gets really tough to get out of there. But once you are able to build your self worth with other stuff and with your principles or with the hard work you put in every day, I think it's easier to get back to where you were before and just, you know, sort of take the lows with a head high and then really enjoy the highs.

Q. Do you remember any instances where you felt you were very low, like what is sort of feels like? Does it affect your sleep, your eating?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Well, I just felt very low on self‑ confidence. After my injuries and I was playing again, but I wasn't playing on the level that I was used to, and I was expecting much more of myself, and I just felt like my confidence was going down in all areas of my life. And it took me‑‑ and then I was getting into the spiral of thinking, why did this happen to me, why, why, why, why me, why not anybody else. And once I got over that part, once I just started, you know, to leave the past in the past and just sort of go forward, it was much easier for me to build momentum and to gain self‑confidence from other stuff, and then it was easier for me to be secure on court, because I think all the insecurities we carry around in the off court, we bring it on court with us and then it's really tough to deal with this when you're just low on confidence. And it was a difficult time for me to get through. I still get into the spiral sometimes, but now I can see it much earlier and try to work against it.

Q. Andrea, so you had three straight three‑set matches, two in Stanford, one here and then now you finally got one in straits. So talk about your progression over the course of the last couple of weeks and where do you think‑‑ do you come out of this one positive?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Yeah, well, it was really difficult today with the wind. It was absolutely ghastly. And I just learned a new word. I wanted to slip it in somewhere. So yeah. One for me. And it was really difficult. And I felt like I‑‑ I probably played the best in the second set against Corina Witth�ft, but all the other‑‑ I don't know. I was just‑‑ I wasn't relaxed, you know. Something was holding me back, maybe because I had worked so hard and too many expectations to show everything that I put into the two weeks of practice that I had and just feeling so great in practice. Maybe it was too many expectations. I really don't know. But yesterday was the first time I felt physically really, really strong, especially in the third set. We had some long rallies, and my pulse didn't go up at all. Just a little, and it went really fast back down. And then today, the same thing. I was struggling. Both‑‑ I think everyone was struggling with the wind today. It was really, really difficult to play. And I just got over myself and I started running, and that kind of gives me confidence that I was feeling so strong, yeah.

Q. Can you set aside‑‑ I know you've in the past been incredibly complimentary about Serena. Things like that. If you step on the court against her tomorrow, can you set all that aside?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Well, I think in the beginning it's always‑‑ I mean I've played here I think three or four times before, so I know that experience. And I feel like in the beginning you feel her presence because she has this charisma and she has just the type of behind her back and you can sort of feel her presence and obviously the people are looking at her differently. It's just a different energy on the court.
But after a few points, after a few games, it normally goes away, and any ways, I'm a type of player that sort of focuses just on myself. I don't even look on the other side. And I just try to play point by point, and that's what I'm going to try to do tomorrow. But definitely you can sense just‑‑ not only by her, but by everything that something else is going on. So I'm just really excited to get that challenge before the Open. I think it's really those matches that I need now.

Q. A lot of‑‑ when she's written about or when you talk to other players about her, everybody focuses on the power, obviously the serve?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Yeah.

Q. Forehand, things. Do you think that‑‑ I mean there's more to her game than that.
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Yeah, not at all. I always‑‑ when people say she's so much strong‑‑ she's strong, obviously, but when you play her it's not her power that really‑‑ it's her serve, right. She just gets a lot of free points on her serve and you feel the pressure from there. But once she's in the rally, I think we talked about this before. She opens the court. She doesn't go for her shots. She goes for the returns and when she has a short ball, yes, she goes for it. But when she's in the rally, she tries to open the court with the angle and then goes for the ball. So she really builds the point. She doesn't always go full power. And I don't think she would be where she is with that type of game. Maybe ten years ago, but not today. Today is physically so fast and can get to those balls. If you play like this we can handle those balls. But she plays very very smart and he I think people don't give her enough credit for that. She's crafty. She can play anything. I remember the match she played against Henin at the Australian Open and she was forced to play the higher slice and the spin, and she did all that. And people tend to focus on the most obvious, and that's the power. But you know, that's people.

Q. Given the wind conditions here and in New York it'll be much worse actually.
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Oh, yeah?

Q. Yeah. When you play Serena tomorrow, would you try to change a little bit with your hits or would it be flatter or more top spin to put the ball in play?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Well, no. I will just try to play my game. Obviously you adjust to each and every player. You have your tactics. You know their strengths. You know they're weaknesses. Some have more weaknesses. Serena has less weaknesses. But I will try‑‑ I think that's the most important thing that identify also maybe learned with experience.
Once you play the top players, you have to try to play your game because a lot of players try to over play because they are playing Serena or Maria or Vika, all those top girls. And that's when they‑‑ when they get the easy wins, when the other players try to overplay. You just have to sort of stick with your game, play really well. Obviously you're not going to get away with playing badly. But that's what you gotta try to do, stick with your game and then try to find some weaknesses and go for them.
And yeah, what I always do, I will grab my best friend, YouTube.com and look at some of her recent matches, and my coach obviously as well. And we're going to have a tactic, but I will really try to stick with my game plan and then see what happens really.

Q. So you tweeted last week that you saw "Whiplash?"
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Yes. It's the best film I've ever seen in my life.

Q. Like a lot of athletes that I've talked to that have seen it?
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Okay.

Q. There's similarities that they can take out of it with respect to the coach, people, relationship. And I'm just kind of curious what your thoughts are on that.
ANDREA PETKOVIC: On the relationship?

Q. On the ownership, and also whether or not‑‑
ANDREA PETKOVIC: It was mental abuse?

Q. Yeah. A little bit, you know. I mean if greatness can be found that way, is it okay? I mean‑‑
ANDREA PETKOVIC: Yeah. Well, I think everybody sees something else in that movie and that's what fascinated me so much about it and what fascinated me and intrigued me so much about the movie was the fact that it was never really clear up until the end if the guy is a genius. Normally you know if somebody is a genius. Right?
So it really was the relationship between the two guys that brought out the best and the great in him. And so that was really interesting to see if you sometimes need somebody to trigger those points, because obviously a genius was inside of him. That's how I understood it. But you know, normally you know before; right? I mean Beethoven, I think he knew that I'm special. You know? And so that's what really intrigued me, this sort of thing, you know, like in biology where you have plants that just can grow around other plants, you know. Sometimes maybe their personalities they can just grow around other personalities. Hopefully I'm not that type of person, but you know, maybe that is‑‑ I thought it was very fascinating. And I rewatched the last‑‑ seen the ending already 10 times. I loved it.
THE MODERATOR: Any more questions? Thank you.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #503
country flag Fury

Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future Fury has a brilliant future

http://darmstaedter-tagblatt.de/spor...ufen-2929.html
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #504
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...ake-watches-on

Quote:
TORONTO, Canada - With rap superstar Drake watching from the stands, Serena Williams shone on center court at the Rogers Cup on Thursday night, cruising past Andrea Petkovic in straight sets.

The No.1-seeded Williams had never lost to Petkovic in their four previous meetings and this one went much the same way, as she held all nine of her service games - never even facing a break point - and broke the No.16-seeded Petkovic three times en route to a 6-3, 6-2 victory in just 62 minutes.

The World No.1 also had some very kind words about Petkovic, a former No.9.

"I really like that girl. She's so nice. Andrea is so sweet. She's one of the people when you see them in the locker room, you're just happy to see them come in. You just can't help but smile. And you always wish the best for people like her. And I thought she played well - I thought she really pushed me, and she got me a little frustrated, which I think is important. She did that really well in the match."
Very nice words from Serena

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2015
rucolo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #505
country flag Fury

Petkovic bei US Open
Mit neuem Weg zu alter Form
Veröffentlicht am 30.08.15 um 20:15 Uhr
Andrea Petkovic
Hofft, dass ihr Plan aufgeht: Andrea Petkovic Bild © Imago
Zwar sind die US Open das hektischste Grand-Slam-Turnier der Welt, Andrea Petkovic ist vor ihrem Erstrundenmatch in New York dennoch nicht angst und bange. Die Darmstädterin hat an ein paar Stellschrauben gedreht und hofft, dass sich so auch im Big Apple der Erfolg einstellt.
"Hektisch, chaotisch, wild und laut." Die US Open in wenigen Worten zu beschreiben, ist für Tennis-Ass Andrea Petkovic kein Problem, eben jene Atmosphäre bei dem am Montag startenden Grand-Slam-Turnier allerdings schon. "Ich habe diesmal etwas anderes ausprobiert, um dieser Hektik zu entkommen", verrät sie im Gespräch mit dem hr-sport. Um sich ideal auf die US Open vorzubereiten, weilt die Darmstädterin schon seit einigen Tagen in New York und hat auch ihr Training den Bedingungen im Big Apple angepasst.

Audiobeitrag
Andrea Petkovic
Audio 00:36 Min.
zum Audio Petkovic: "Der Hektik entkommen"[Audioseite]
Ende des Audiobeitrags
"Ich habe versucht, nur einmal am Tag zu trainieren. Dafür aber dann länger", so Petkovic. "Entweder früh am Morgen oder spät abends." Zwar lässt sich der ganz normale US-Open-Wahnsinn, diese Melange aus Hektik, Hitze, Heiterkeit, auch bei den Trainingseinheiten im Corona Park nicht simulieren, Petkovic hat für sich aber einen Weg gefunden, damit umzugehen. "Ich habe ein paar Sachen, Kleinigkeiten geändert. Mal gucken, wie sich das auswirkt und ob es mir gut tut", sagte sie.
"Ruheplätze schaffen"
Neben angepassten Trainingszeiten und weniger Einheiten schlägt die 27-Jährige auch bei ihrer Unterkunft einen neuen Weg ein. "Ich bin in einem Hotel, wo keine anderen Spielerinnen sind." Auch so will sie der Hektik entkommen, sich "Ruheplätze schaffen" und sich möglichst optimal auf das Turnier vorbereiten. Schließlich wartet mit Caroline Garcia in der ersten Runde eine unangenehme Gegnerin auf Petkovic. Den Fehler, die Französin zu unterschätzen, will sie unter keinen Umständen machen. "Sie spielt sehr aggressiv und sie serviert gut, was ihr hier auf dem schnellen Belag entgegenkommt", sagte Petkovic.
Audiobeitrag
Andrea Petkovic
Audio 00:26 Min.
zum Audio Petkovic: "Habe neuen Weg eingeschlagen"[Audioseite]
Ende des Audiobeitrags
Sie habe Garcia zwar schon einmal auf Rasen besiegt, aber auch das sei ein schweres Match gewesen. "Ich habe eine toughe erste Runde", glaubt sie deshalb. "Ich konzentriere mich nur darauf, versuche mich so gut wie möglich vorzubereiten und eine gute Leistung zu bringen." Sie will versuchen, Garcia unter Druck zu setzen und sie in Bewegung zu bringen. "Was gar nicht so einfach ist, wenn jemand so aggressiv spielt“, sagte Petkovic. Trotzdem soll genau dies das Ziel sein.
Kleine Änderungen, große Wirkung
Für ihren Erfolg hat sie vor den US Open an ein paar Stellschrauben gedreht und fühlt sich vielleicht auch deshalb so gut. „Ich habe versucht einen neuen Weg einzuschlagen. Man muss immer dazulernen“, sagte Petkovic. "Ich bin sehr gut vorbereitet. Ich bin fit und gesund." Vor allem aber ist sie bereit – bereit für das hektischste und chaotischste Grand-Slam-Turnier der Welt, die US Open.
Quelle: hessenschau.de/akro, Tim Brockmeier, SID
© Hessischer Rundfunk 2015 | ARD.de | Datenschutz | Impressum

http://hessenschau.de/sport/mehr-spo...ko_us-100.html