Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

377K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#1,982 · (Edited)
Somebody please translate.

I got the gist of it: Martina and Petra tweet. However, Martina wants to meet and talk to Petra--in person soon! Tweeting is not enough at the moment.... Martina feels Petra needs to get faster and was faster 2 yrs ago; feels her tennis needs to be more consistent; feels her mentality is not good...She feels Petra can correct these things.... And she cried when Petra started to fall apart--later in the third set vs the young Robson.

I guess, I hope, this is the much anticipated and speculated Martina-Petra 'Heart To Heart/intervention, finally? :eek: :clap2: :eek:

To be honest, I/we don't know!! I'm just scraping on to any glimmer of hope. :lol: :confused: :lol:

We only hope, cross our fingers--that they even meet, knowing Petra and her team. :oh:

Nonetheless, much of the article appears garbled (unless that's the best Google could do this time). I'm curious to know what the rest of it says. It also appears this is the intro of an upcoming longer interview, right guys?

I really hope these two meet and Martina convinces her to blow up her staff or at least to look inward. I'm sure she knows Petra's/their work habits are quite poor, or at least not very effective for a potential great Champion like Petra--week in week out, especially playing against today's hot players. There's no excuse for it. And Martina knows it!

I really hope she reaches Petra (mentally, not just physically/in person) as well. I know Martina feels Petra is practically allowing Majors to slip out of her hands every few months, every year now, and feels Kvitova should be winning some to. Why not!?

Lastly, I hope this is a real attempt to meet with Petra (and not just media hyperbole or another dead end), and both parties--only Petra and Martina will comply. We'll see?

Thanks guys, for any further translations.

#1,984 ·
It's a damn shame Bruce! Here we have an All Time Great, Former Czech, that follows and knows the game--via her Tennis Channel gig, who has to repeatedly, openly and publicly plead or state her case to wanna meet with the slumping Kvitova for some Big Mama Advice over the past year! :fiery:

HCFB (Holy Clusterfuck Batman)!!? :eek:

#1,985 ·
Oh, God, I hope they're able to talk. On the phone or in person or SOMeTHING. All I know is Martina provides more insightful commentary in about 5 minutes than Chrissie Evert has for like 5 years :lol:

#2,009 ·
And rooting for her is going to help ..... how :confused:

We're rooting for her too :angel:

#2,007 ·
Big interview with 'Smartina' will be published tomorrow by the daily Dnes (idnes.cz is their electronic outlet). So maybe there'll be some more comments on Petra.

It seems that Czech journalists are having too much time on their hands in Australia and they try to draw a few comments on Petra from every Czech-speaking legend now available in Melbourne. I expect a similar interview with Ivan Lendl, if Andy loses to Roger and Ivan has more time for Czech journalists.

#2,019 ·
On a lighter note, it seems that hard times are over, as our player has been just featured in an article entitled 'Petra Kvitova and 21 Other Bustiest Athletes in the World'

http://www.sportrevue.cz/foto-petra-kvitova-a-21-dalsich-nejprsatejsich-sportovkyn-na-svete

Feel free to browse through the catalog, if it's legal in your country :lol:

Petra is listed as No. 22.

P.S. Don't worry, this is my last contribution today, as I want to be fresh for tomorrow's Roger-Andy :D

#2,020 ·
On a lighter note, it seems that hard times are over, as our player has been just featured in an article entitled 'Petra Kvitova and 21 Other Bustiest Athletes in the World'

http://www.sportrevue.cz/foto-petra-kvitova-a-21-dalsich-nejprsatejsich-sportovkyn-na-svete

Feel free to browse through the catalog, if it's legal in your country :lol:

Petra is listed as No. 22.
Wouldn't want to test my PC's antivirus on that page but,anyway,how are hard times over??Are you suggesting that Petra will get a self-esteem boost and play better after being named to that list:lol:?If I read your post correctly,she ranked dead last amongst those who were named...it might be better to be ignored than recognized as last place;)

#2,023 ·
:fiery::fiery:

#2,026 ·
From FB:

Hello from Paris! Here is a Q and A about the tournament :)

Petra, are you looking forward to coming to Paris?

“Of course, I’m really looking forward to coming to Paris. I have always had a great time playing there, especially in 2011 when I won the title there and beat Kim, who was number 1 in the world at the time. I feel comfortable there so hope I can get some good matches.”

What are your favourite things about the tournament and city?

“Well first of all I like to play indoors, so that’s one thing! But I think that it’s very well organized, the people are friendly, and the tournament has a tough field because everyone is competing hard after Australia. Also, the hotel is right near the Champs Elysee and the Arc de Triomphe so you feel like you are right in the middle of the beautiful city and it’s easy to visit a little bit. Usually it’s tough to see the cities where we play.”

Why does your game work indoors?

“I find it easy to play indoors because everything is the same. No sun, no shade, no wind. I feel comfortable there. I played a lot indoors when I was a child because it was so cold in the Czech Republic so my game is suited to it. Plus it can be a fast surface J”

What is your main goal coming here?

“My goal is just to play matches. I want to be relaxed on the court and take a different approach after some tough results in Australia. I am coming with my best friend and my coach David is staying at home, so I hope it will be fun and I can play some good tennis again. I am also hoping to play doubles, which is something rare for me, so I hope that will be fun too!”

#2,036 ·
and my coach David is staying at home
This is probably the best news i've heard all year in regards to Petra.

Reactions: ShiftyFella
#2,030 ·
:banghead::smash::help::tape::unsure::secret::shout::rolleyes::wazzup::spit::oh::toothy::smoke::rolls::speakles::sobbing::crying2::p:devil: - If 'Only' Ms Kvitova Could Practice What She Preaches!:bounce:
The Tennis Space

The Tennis Space
Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Petra Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, tells The Tennis Space ‘How to have a great serve.’
Practice, but don’t over-practice. “When I was a kid, I used to practise my serve for fifteen minutes every day, always at the end of the session. So I would spent more than an hour and a half a week on it. It’s important to get the balance right, though. You don’t want to hit so many serves that you start to feel it in your arm and shoulder and then you’re not right for the matches. These days, I don’t measure it in time, but usually in balls, so I take, say, 60 balls and serve those until I’m happy with how I’m striking the ball. You will soon learn what’s right for you, and how much you need to do without tiring out your arm and shoulder. You don’t want to hit too many.”
Think about the spins you’re using as well as the placements. “When you’re playing on grass, you could think about using sidespin sometimes as that works on that surface, taking the ball away from the opponent. When I’m on the practice court, I always practise the placements and try to hit the spots. I don’t have certain serves that I hit on big points when I want an ace, as I mix it up.”
You need a strong body. “If you’re going to have a powerful serve, you need to be in shape and to be able to generate power. You won’t be able to have a good serve unless you have power in your body.”
Get your technique right. “With the serve, as with everything else in tennis, it’s so important to get your technique right. That’s something you have to learn over years and years. I had a strong serve as a junior, but I have improved it. You should also think about your grip as how you hold the racket is so important.”
Have confidence in your serve. “I know that I can get free points from my serve, especially indoors and on grass, and that’s important to me. I know that my serve is key to my game. Of course, the serve is not everything, but it’s a big factor.”
-
Petra Kvitova is playing at this week’s Open GDF Suez in Paris

© Ella Ling

#2,033 ·
Petra Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, tells The Tennis Space ‘How to have a great serve.’
Practice, but don’t over-practice. “You don’t want to hit so many serves that you start to feel it in your arm and shoulder and then you’re not right for the matches. These days, I don’t measure it in time, but usually in balls”
“Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Who Is the Laziest of Them All":haha:

#2,038 ·
i know this is old news now, but since i just saw it again online...i don't understand WHY petra is playing fed cup AGAIN...wtf...seriously, hasn't she given enough of herself to her country already?!?!

this just further makes me question petra's ambitions...it just seems like she doesn't really care about her career and puts it after everything else...i mean just look at all the top players...azarenka, serena, sharapova...they ONLY play fed cup when it's an olympic year and never would even consider playing it consecutively during non olympic years...cuz they know that their careers and their quest to win GS comes first...i just don't understand Petra's priorities :facepalm:

yes, you can argue that Fed Cup is just one weekend and shouldn't take too much out of Kvitova...but immediately after, she has to play in Doha...i just think logistically, none of it makes any sense...she's already led her country to TWO fed cup titles...what more do they want?!

it's really, really hard for me to see Petra win more slams if she continues to be like this...putting her country before her own career and letting her team make all her decisions...but maybe, she's perfectly content w/ all of this...and having the one wimby title is enough for her...

#2,040 ·
you can argue that Fed Cup is just one weekend and shouldn't take too much out of Kvitova
Many of your arguments were reasonable but the post confused symptoms with root causes.In your own words,FC doesn't cause any real damage to Petra in terms of wear-and-tear because it's only a brief portion of her yearly schedule.One could argue that she was overly fixated on patriotic obligations,yet there's no evidence that playing FC has harmed her so far.If the rest of Petra's yearly planning were good(in re fitness training,trying to strengthen her mental game,WTA scheduling,etc.),then very few of us would be mentioning FC in a negative light.

Where your post has a lot more merit is in the discussion and implication that Petra is way too Czech-oriented with regard to choosing team members,training set-up & location,and over-commitment to relatively minor events like Extraliga and promotional stuff that benefits her manager and not Petra.THOSE are the root causes of so many problems and,if they were dealt with properly,Petra's playing FC would have negligible negative impact and would continue to give her a nice emotional boost as it's often done to this point

#2,044 ·
He wasn't in Paris and look what happened there.

I don't know if having the crowd against her affected her :shrug: She's quite a sensitive person isn't she?

#2,045 ·
http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/kvitova-ted-chci-myslet-pozitivne-11681/
Kvitová: Teď chci myslet pozitivně
I když v prvních týdnech nové sezony nestraší soupeřky svou formou, Petra Kvitová by o víkendu v utkání proti Austrálii znovu měla být tahounkou českého fedcupového výběru. Jak dvaadvacetiletá hráčka z nedalekého Fulneku řekla, sama ví, že nemá ideální formu, ale nekonečné spekulace na téma její výkonnosti už ji začínají unavovat.

"Už jsem si zvykla, že když se vyhrává, tak je to všechno super, a když se prohrává, tak je to katastrofa. Snažím se to moc neřešit. Jsem na kurtu od toho, abych trénovala a zlepšovala se ve hře, ale možná až moc se to řeší. Už je skoro víkend, možná bychom nemuseli poslouchat ty pesimistické řeči a mohli bychom myslet trošku pozitivně," řekla Kvitová.

Předloňská vítězka Wimbledonu a Turnaje mistryň se po výměně kondičního trenéra na kurtu v úvodu sezony ještě hledá a na prvním grandslamu sezony v Melbourne vypadla už v druhém kole po prohře s mladou Britkou Laurou Robsonovou. Usiluje o zlepšení, které stále nepřichází.

"Výsledky nejsou, jak bych si představovala, ale na druhou stranu pořád věřím, že to bude dobré. Vím, že tenis hrát umím. Mám ráda Fed Cup, ten týden je vždy úžasný, když přijdou fanoušci a podpoří nás. Třeba se chytnu právě tady," řekla Kvitová.

Změny v kondiční přípravě podle ní potřebují čas. "Změna kondičního trenéra byla důležitá. Trénink, který jsem absolvovala, nemám zažitý. Chce to prostě nějaký čas, nějaký měsíc, aby si to sedlo. Kazím teď docela hodně míčů, je jich bohužel víc než těch vítězných, ale nebrečím kvůli tomu, že jsem prohrála. Věřím, že výsledky zase budou," uvedla světová osmička.

Odmítá, že by se na její hře podepisovaly zdravotní problémy. Například astma, které ji trápilo v lednu v Austrálii. "Žádné zdravotní problémy teď nemám. Astma se týkalo v Austrálii hlavně Brisbane, minulý týden v Paříži s tím žádný problém nebyl," vrátila se Kvitová k turnaji ve francouzské metropoli, kde ve čtvrtfinále skončila po prohře s domácí Kristinou Mladenovicovou. "Byly to pro mě dva zápasy k dobru, jsem ráda, že jsem v Paříži mohla hrát," dodala.

Teď už má Kvitová plnou hlavu australských tenistek. K účasti ve Fed Cupu se prý stavějí obdobně jako Češky - pozitivně. "Ony mají Fed Cup rády, myslím, že se ukážou v dobrém světle. Samantha Stosurová je hráčka první desítky s vyhraným grandslamem a to mluví za vše. Hraje atypický ženský tenis, než na jaký jsme zvyklí. A Jarka Gajdošová je zase schopna vystřílet kohokoliv a taky schopna s kýmkoliv prohrát," dodala Kvitová.

#2,049 ·
See ... I said I agreed :p

Well let's hope that the doom and gloom talk that she's been hearing motivates her :bounce::bounce::bounce: ...... because something had to ;)

#2,052 ·
Interview after the Ivanovic match

Q. That was a high-level match today.
You start off pretty well and fall off. I saw the
entire match. What happened then?
Because you had more troubles for the serve,
I think.

PETRA KVITOVA: Well, yeah, I mean, I
start pretty well and how you said it was very
good match from both of us. I mean, I started
like without a mistake and everything. So I
thought that it can't be like this all match.
Then Ana tried to play quite
aggressively, and then I had some trouble. So
she came back. She served quite well. And,
yeah, how you said already, my serve wasn't that
good as before, and that was a little bit trouble on
my game.

Q. Must be very good for confidence
to get through these kind of tight sets like
this.

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, I think so. I
mean, then I had two breaks in the second, and I
didn't hold my serve. So it was quite tough for
my nerves, too.
Yeah, I played quite well in the tiebreak.
The first set when I was up was quite tight in the
end, so I'm glad that I did it in the end.

Q. She's obviously trying to get back
to her best level. She says that she's getting
closer and closer to that. How would you
evaluate her level right now? Do you think
she could be candidate for the top 8 end of
the season the way she played tonight?

PETRA KVITOVA: Well, that's a tough
question, because I think in the top it's a lot of
players who can finish being in the top 8 and top
But I think definitely she's coming back.
She's very dangerous player for us.

Q. Serena in Doha said that some of
your shots on your forehand side were just
unreturnable, and she said no one on the
WTA Tour could return it. Ana has just said
the same. I mean, how much confidence
does that give you that a ball comes on one
wing on a fast court and you have the shot
which seemingly no one else has?

PETRA KVITOVA: That's nice to hear it,
anyway. But, yeah, I mean, Doha match I played
against Serena was very good, and that's -- I'm
glad that she said it, for sure.
Yeah, I think from the forehand that it's
my game that I can thinking about and going for
every point for 100% and to have winners from
the side.
I'm really glad that it's working
sometimes. Of course I wish to improve also,
because I have a space what I can improve then.

Q. Speaking of Serena, I assume
you've caught up with the news that she's
withdrawn?

PETRA KVITOVA: Who withdraw?

Q. Serena. Serena is out with a back
injury. With that in mind and given the
impeccable form you're showing here in
Dubai, does that give you I guess a bit of
extra confidence to think you can go all the
way without the top two seeds here?

PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I don't think so.
I mean, of course it's bad luck for the tournament
that the first two players withdrew, and that's
something for nobody likes.
And for me, like personally, I really don't
care. I mean, I see the next match and that's
important for me right now. It's always like
about the next match.

Q. Speaking of the next match, it's
the defending champ, Agnieszka. How does
that shape up?

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, I think it will be
very tough match, for sure. She likes to play
here. She won last year.
I played her last time Istanbul, and I lost
to her. I'm looking for revenge, for sure.
You know, she's really smart player.
She's thinking a lot on the court, so she knows
exactly what she has to play and where I will
play. I have to play my game and not have a
lot of mistakes, but is very like tough if she's
putting every ball back to me. So I have to play
my aggressive game and going for the volleys, I
think.

Q. Just in terms of where your game
is at at the moment, particularly the last two
matches, you're in impeccable form. Can you
put that into some form of context or
perspective? Do you feel you have improved
since Doha? How does it compare to maybe
your best year when you won Wimbledon or
last year? Do you feel you're at the top of
your game, or is there still improvement to
come?

PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I think that
when I won the Wimbledon, it was my highest
level. It's pretty tough to reach it again.
I'm not thinking like this. I feel very
confident on the court. I feel the balls. My
movement is quite good. Mental side, it's okay,
too. So I don't thinking like where is my level
right now. I know that I have a space what I can
improve, but it's good news for me and for my
coaches. That's always important to know, and of
course that I can really improve everything. I
hope that it's not my highest level right now.

Q. You mentioned the other day in
your press conference that you're feeling
fitter probably than you ever have with your
new fitness coach. Do you still see that as
being an advantage, like you're running
around the court a lot smoother and quicker
and recovering quicker maybe? Would you
say that's a marked difference to previously?

PETRA KVITOVA: You know, I never be
really sprinter on the court. So that's one of the
things what I will never be best in this, for sure.
But I can improve still, and I know that
my movement, it's a little bit better to the sides
but I have to still going for the shorter shots to
the court. I mean, I think that it's everything
together when I am a little bit stronger muscles in
my legs, and then I can be quicker somewhere.
It's everything like together. So I feel quite good.

Q. A question about Barbora
Strycova, did you talk to her or do you know
how she feels?

PETRA KVITOVA: No, I didn't talk to
her.

Q. You're not friends of any kind?

PETRA KVITOVA: We are, we are, but Ididn't talk about that.