News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 103 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 07:56 PM   #1531
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judio View Post
And they now have Sydney and Brisbane ATP for the first time in years

And they even showed a DOUBLES final today from Doha
This is all about the WTA management. ATP is doing a better job working with Eurosport. WTA is not. We can't blame Eurosport on this.
If you noticed, Eurosport is not the only channel boycotting the women's game... most channels are.

Tracy XYZ has to be a better contract negotiator.
Advertisement

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1532
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

any other EU TV Channel showing China Finals tomorrow?

Its on here but we'll see if they manages to find a Link from China

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 08:06 PM   #1533
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

The ATP offers a great international livefeed with stats and two commentators.

The WTA is better off with with a "free" TV deal but exposure than no cash and no exposure.

Tennis is picking up some steams in Canada but the local TV stations will prefer Raonic (ATP) over the WTA for now.
Bouchard's game is more watchable so we'll see if that changes.

FYI, the whole of Canada had to watch the entire Raonic R4's match in New York and they never, ever switched to the Federer loss. We shall see if they buy Bouchard's rights if she's on a TV court.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 10:02 PM   #1534
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judio View Post
Have Eurosport now got a grudge against Womens tennis ??

Hopman Cup coverage is shocking

Every day they just start the coverage with the result of the women

They then show 30 secs highlights

Then most of the Men

Then some mixed
Same. Was a bit miffed to see how lopsided the coverage has been so far. I can only assume that they're favouring the guys to go along with the ton of ATP (Doha doubles, someone mentioned?) they've got on. With Sky showing hardly any tennis outside the Masters 1000 events, Eurosport UK can snap up lots of ATP500 events.

Edit; just watching today's France/Spain highlights, less than two minutes of Cornet/AMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
Dreading Aus Open then- probably be full of French, German and Spanish journeymen when its not top seeds/ Murray or Robson
*Shudder*. They could easily do it. Thank heavens for Eurosport player.

Last edited by leftyness : Jan 3rd, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
leftyness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1535
country flag Austrianer1967

Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light Austrianer1967 is a glorious beacon of light

Skovaksport also live coverage from sunday
Austrianer1967 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #1536
country flag Snooked

Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of Snooked has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Probably. They were treating the coverage really bad last year from the point it came clear they had lost the TV rights.
They didn't lost them, they just decided the product isn't worth the money they want
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1537
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve2Win View Post
This is all about the WTA management. ATP is doing a better job working with Eurosport. WTA is not. We can't blame Eurosport on this.
If you noticed, Eurosport is not the only channel boycotting the women's game... most channels are.

Tracy XYZ has to be a better contract negotiator.
You are making out like Eurosport shunned the WTA. The WTA shunned Eurosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooked View Post
They didn't lost them, they just decided the product isn't worth the money they want
Because the WTA wanted a lot more money. Weren't Eurosport paying something like €15m a year for the rights in the whole of Europe. BT Sport are probably paying something stupid for the rights in the UK, like they are for every sport.

Eurosport for me did lose them. Because the WTA effectively shunned them. We don't know what exactly went on. But it's quite clear Eurosport did not say "we don't want to show tennis anymore", otherwise why are they buying international events rights. They were likely told a price they couldn't justify paying.

It sucks for the majority of Europe of course. But it's not bad everywhere. In the UK, people who actually have BT Sport are way better off. Better commentators, actually show every match even if it's in the middle of the night.

Last edited by ozza : Jan 5th, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #1538
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyness View Post
Same. Was a bit miffed to see how lopsided the coverage has been so far. I can only assume that they're favouring the guys to go along with the ton of ATP (Doha doubles, someone mentioned?) they've got on. With Sky showing hardly any tennis outside the Masters 1000 events, Eurosport UK can snap up lots of ATP500 events.
Sky Sports own the TV rights to the ATP 500's. They don't show every one, but they own the rights. Eurosport can only buy ATP 250s.

See here: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tennis-on-sky. Sky's first tournaments are Rotterdam then Dubai. It's always subject to change though. They change the 500s they are showing all the time (to show the best ones). Eg. they listed Tokyo last year, and then showed Beijing instead.

Murray is down to play Acapulco the same week as Dubai, I am sure they will find a way to show his matches. They will also show the final if they deem it attractive enough. So Nadal is playing Rio, they will probably show the final of that.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #1539
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Weren't Eurosport paying something like €15m a year for the rights in the whold of Europe.
Only €7.8m ($10m) according to German Tennis Magazine.
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #1540
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk27 View Post
Only €7.8m according to German Tennis Magazine.
Which if true tells you all you need to know. BT Sport will pay more than that figure for the UK alone.

It sucks I guess for people in Germany, and do I think the WTA did the right thing - no. Having their product not on TV in a lot of Europe could be absolutely devastating long term. But it's quite clear they went down the road of a short term gain of money.

Last edited by ozza : Jan 5th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1541
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

It much better WTA coverage here in DK, tomorrow morning 2 TV Channels show the tennis, one from CC and one channel will show Caro's match. Its not like danish ES who never showed WTA tennis during the nights.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #1542
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sky Sports own the TV rights to the ATP 500's. They don't show every one, but they own the rights. Eurosport can only buy ATP 250s.

See here: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tennis-on-sky. Sky's first tournaments are Rotterdam then Dubai. It's always subject to change though. They change the 500s they are showing all the time (to show the best ones). Eg. they listed Tokyo last year, and then showed Beijing instead.
Thanks for the info. A quick look at the ATP calendar has got me up to speed on 250s and 500s.
leftyness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote