Tennis Forum banner

MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

67K views 1K replies 79 participants last post by  heelsrule1988 
#1 · (Edited)
I see nobody has bothered to open a thread for this yet... :spit:

Title suggestions more than welcome...if you care for this tournament.

Good Luck Masha. :cheer:

#564 ·
Hopefully Masha comes out with that same attitude she normally comes out with against Aga. That 'I really want to crush you' attitude. I'm pretty confident it will be a strights sets win for Masha with one set being a little tougher than the other.

#574 ·
Yep. She ties Vee's record of 19 straight clay wins and is getting closer to win number 500 :bounce:

Defends her points from last year too.

#583 ·
Nice to see Maria get the win/ Hopefully she improves tomorrow and plays better. Her serve was so clutch today and that backhand down the line at SP down :hysteric:#DEAD.

Sabine about to become Maria's punchbag :cheer:. I want Hantuchova next, so that Maria can raise her game :angel:.
that was such mashed potato point :spit:

i almost died :bowdown: :haha: at fist i facepalmed myself couz i thought it was out and i already saw her explaning to the umpire that ball is in :lol::lol:

nice match, good win, little drama, but she served for a match solid service game :cool:

so onto next rounf, tomorrow, right?

#577 ·
At *4-5 15-40 I really thought we were heading for a third set. Well done Maria on closing it out in two today.

Congrats :D

#582 ·
Was surprised by the backhand DTL at the second set point by Maria and I think she thought the shot was out as well. Such a display of gut and mental toughness at crunch times then fought to break the next game. The serve on deuce court needs to improve tho, too many DFs.

The 'yea' she shouted at the dropshot to Lisicki was spot on and Lisicki attempted too many of them at wrong times.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#589 ·
The main thing to watch in the next two matches is not whether Maria wins, but how well her serves hold up. I expect Maria to beat Serena in two routine sets if her serves hold up.
:scared: :scared: :scared:

#594 ·
I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but from what I've seen in this clay season so far, I'd be shocked if Maria isn't playing Serena in the Roland Garros final, never mind Madrid. Other than and in-form Li Na, who's capable of defeating either one of them in a French Open setting? Yes, players like Ivanovic or Kerber or Errani and a few others can definitely push Maria to tough 3-setters and put a scare in her. But challenging and beating are two completely different things and I just don't see the other players having the mental fortitude to overcome what Serena and Maria are going to relentlessly throw at them on this surface. I haven't been overly impressed with anyone.

I know the prospect of having to see Maria play Serena over and over and over isn't a comfortable feeling. But it looks like that's the reality of the WTA right now. Will someone else step up over this next month? Strange and unexpected things happen all the time in sports....

#595 ·
I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but from what I've seen in this clay season so far, I'd be shocked if Maria isn't playing Serena in the Roland Garros final, never mind Madrid. Other than and in-form Li Na, who's capable of defeating either one of them in a French Open setting? Yes, players like Ivanovic or Kerber or Errani and a few others can definitely push Maria to tough 3-setters and put a scare in her. But challenging and beating are two completely different things and I just don't see the other players having the mental fortitude to overcome what Serena and Maria are going to relentlessly throw at them on this surface. I haven't been overly impressed with anyone.

I know the prospect of having to see Maria play Serena over and over and over isn't a comfortable feeling. But it looks like that's the reality of the WTA right now. Will someone else step up over this next month? Strange and unexpected things happen all the time in sports....
Honestly, I want these Maria/Serena matches over and over again because it means she'll have more chances to finally defeat her. At this point with her dreadful record, it could be 20-2 and I'll still be happier than I've ever been as a Maria fan when she makes it 20-3 :lol:. So bring on Maria-Serena matches, especially on clay where she has her best chances. If she can sneak in a win here or in Rome, she'll have SO much more confidence should they meet at RG or Wimbledon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.