Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Return Winner: The Laura Robson support thread.

Tags
#sluts gif
465K views 5K replies 158 participants last post by  miffedmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the old thread has gone over the 5,000 post limit, I figure that it needs to be replaced by a shiny new one. So here it is.

Achievements Pre-injury:
  • Olympic mixed doubles silver medal (w/ Andy Murray)
  • Singles semi final - Palermo 2012
  • Grand Slam 4th round - US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013
  • Defeated Kim Clijsters in her final singles match
  • Singles Final - Guangzhou 2012
  • WTA Newcomer of the year 2012

Achievements - Post Comeback:
  • Singles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville
  • Doubles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville (W/ Freya Christie)
  • Qualifier US Open 2016

#3,785 ·
:lol:

So happy or these results at last. Tennis on the pro circuit can be brutal to get your form back together due to the nature of constant knock-out situations. It can take some players,a while and as Laura was cut down during a key development phase it might ahve been worse because she didn't have a specific fixed level she was returning to which is tricky. But credit where credit is due, she has shown so muhc mental strength to take, loss after loss and set-backs for like 1.5 years to gain any sort of form. She's a long way to go but it's so great having positives.

#3,778 ·
BTW, if Laura wins this match, I believe she will be on her longest winning streak on the pro tour to date (6 matches).

No pressure or anything Laura. :cool:
She's done it. :eek: Her longest winning match streak since she's been on the pro tour. She's still on that high from Landisville and I hope it continues to get into that main draw. :angel:

Shinikova next.

#3,779 ·
First match won easily as expected.

This was good, for her first match.

Shinikova this will be tough , On Laura's racket.

#3,782 ·
One thing we should note is how clutch Laura is getting again in games again.

The second set was won 6-2 but lasted for 51mins, she saved numerous break points and broke back without worry. Which shows huge improvement in her return games, something that was horrendous at the start of the season.

I agree with the sentiments about the Shinikova match...it could to be a tough one. Shinikova has been all over the European clay for the past few months though, so let's hope her lack of matches on the US hardcourts helps Laura in that regard.

#3,783 ·
I agree with the sentiments about the Shinikova match...it could to be a tough one. Shinikova has been all over the European clay for the past few months though, so let's hope her lack of matches on the US hardcourts helps Laura in that regard.
That's true. Also, Laura is very comfortable on these courts. Her record in qualifying for the US open is pretty good. On her first two attempts she reached the final qualifying round, and then she made it through qualies and won her first round match in 2011.

#3,788 ·
I notice Laura recently has chosen to step back abit in her court position, to give her more time to hit the ball, she stands back abit to make sure she gets her returns in now, and will go for it when she can. This is good,I like that.

Reactions: Mr.Sparkle
#3,794 ·
Her ranking wouldn't have been high enough to make Atlanta's main draw so putting it as second priority is smart. She's made Lubbock first priority, as she'll be in the main draw. She's being realistic and that's great to see.

#3,795 ·
Yes, that is smart. Plus the following week is Albuquerque which I assume she will enter and she will probably have to go through qualifying there, so makes sense to play a tournament where she can get into the MD before that. Also there are more USTA 50ks later on in the season anyway.

#3,798 ·
Cepelova need to hurry up, she always pull these drama matches for no reason.

#3,801 ·
Laura won 6-4 6-4!

Very inconsistent on Serve, broken 3 times in each set.
Down 3-4* both sets and came back to win the next 3 games to seal it. This was good win because she got through playing maybe not pretty tennis. This was in straight sets and quite quick.

Reactions: Mr.Sparkle
#3,806 ·
I just looked at the match stats. It looks like Laura's serve wasn't great (although much better than it has been until recently). The DFs crept back in (6 in a fairly short match) and 56% win on first serve, which isn't bad but needs to improve, as does the 25% win on second serve.

The winners and UE error stats are again clearly wrong as they obviously count only the aces as winners and the DFs as UEs

I don't want to sound too negative though as Laura pulled off a straight sets win against a potentially tricky opponent, which is all you can ask really.

#3,803 ·
I succumbed to sleep and had either dream or checked the live scores when very groggy and thought Laura had lost the first set. So when I woke to find she won in straight sets I was very surprised but relieved! :sobbing:

7 matches! :cheer: She hasn't lost a set since the Tara Moore match.

She will be playing Maria, who seemed to have a much tougher time in her previous match, getting bageled in the first set but coming back to win. Still, I think it's going to be tough but at least Laura has played her before, so she will hopefully come up with a good game plan.

#3,804 ·
Wow, just logged on and seen the result. I feared the worst with this match but a straight sets win is fantastic. As Mr S says, Tatjana will be tough but if she can beat Shinikova I think she can beat Tatjana. At the very least, Larua has show that finally she might be coming back into some good form. Surely winning the two titles last week and these two wins will have connived her that she really can still play and win.

#3,805 ·
Fantastic. Now I have my new Password and I can write again.

But more fantastic Laura had very good weeks. I had my doubts about getting a turnaurond. But she is playing the level, which we can expect from here. She is beating opponents, who she should beat and that without losing a set(or almost ;))

Maria is a tough Opponent. She is playing more a defensive Tennis. She is playing a lot of slice with her backhand. So Laura has to minimize her faults and she has to be aggressive and she cannot allowed to get frustrated from the playing style of Maria.

For example Jankovic get frustrated from this playing style at the French open.

So Good luck Laura for this match and it would be a huge sucess, if they could get in the main draw.
Who would thought four weeks ago, that there is a real Chance, Laura can Play in the us open main draw!

Great

#3,807 ·
She's had a slightly inconsistent match but she was able to get herself into another gear and find a way to win. Which is completely opposite to a few months ago.

I really thought Shinikova would have snatched a set but Laura was resistant and managed to take her chances when given to her to win. Just one more Laura, give it your all and get in that main draw. :cheer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.