Tennis Forum banner

??

• yes

Votes: 70 68.6%
  • no

Votes: 32 31.4%

is USO the least entertaining slam of 2013?

7K views 80 replies 62 participants last post by  DemWilliamsGulls 
#1 · (Edited)
after a day none of SF threads made it to 200 posts :tape: the only QF that was somehow discussed was a double bagel...

i'm not asking is it the worst slam, just doesn't it seem the most dull? wimbledon had lots of upsets and a new winner, FO and AO were both miles ahead.

#37 ·
The US Open hasn't been the worst slam in years, that honor goes to Roland Garros (except maybe 2010/2013). Plus, the US Open last year was one of the most entertaining slams in recent memory.

Rainpova vs. Petrova
Rainpova vs. Bartoli
Robson vs. Clijsters
Vika vs. Stosur
Vika vs. Sharapova
Serena vs. Vika

That being said, I do agree that this has been the most boring slam of 2013. None of the slams this year have been great but at least the AO, FO and Wimbledon had some dramatic matches.

#38 ·
On one side of the draw you have Serena crushing everybody. She needn't have bothered playing well because she could've just brought her B game and got through like Vika. Serena would have 35 slams if the opposition had always been at this level. There have been a real lack of exciting matches, lack of storylines and lack of high quality tennis. The men's tournament has been slightly underwhelming too.

#43 ·
USO is probably my least favourite Slam and, in addition to that, we haven't seen some interesting editions lately. As for the women's draw at this year's event, first week was certainly better than this one. Another Serena - Azarenka final kills me, especially because I think that Victoria has it now. :sobbing:

#44 ·
If the final is a classic, it would save the tourney. Otherwise, it's been the most boring in a long time.

#46 ·
definitely rather uneventful, but there's still a final to be played, and there's a lot of small interesting stories for hardcore fans (hantuchova, pennetta, vinci being blocked, errani's tears, italy in general, duval stosur, li's serve, li's disposal, ajde showing something, serena/sloane, tornado, barty/dellacqua, halep, etc.)

#47 ·
The good ones

1st round

Mladenovic d. Medina Garrigues
Stephens d. Minella
Jankovic d. Keys
Halep d. Watson
Duval d. Stosur

2nd round

S. Williams d. Voskoboeva
Zheng d. V. Williams
Kerber d. Bouchard
Pennetta d. Errani
McHale d. Svitolina

3rd round

A. Radwanska d. Pavlyuchenkova
Makarova d. Lisicki
Jankovic d. Nara
Giorgi d. Wozniacki
Pennetta d. Kuznetsova
Ivanovic d. McHale
Azarenka d. Cornet

4th round

S. Williams d. Stephens
Navarro d. Kerber
Makarova d. A. Radwanska
Pennetta d. Halep
Azarenka d. Ivanovic

QF

Li d. Makarova
Pennetta d. Vinci

EDIT: I'm not so sure I would find so much more from the other slams rounds. So I have no opinion on the thread question.

#52 ·
Maybe it was too predictable for some people?

Tim Curry ‏@USTA_TimCurry
If Nadal wins today, it will be the first time that the Nos. 1 and 2 seeds meet in @usopen men's AND women's final in same year since 1996.

#53 ·
Well so far, the semi finals have been a stark contrast.

#59 ·
couldn't agree more, Wimbledon final was ruined by the format.

There are no 'epic' matches in women's tennis, there are so many dull straight set matches because there aren't many other permutations.

Like I've said before, I think 5 sets would improve the fitness, professionalism, dedication of women player, I really think the quality will improve too.

Look at the top men's players, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Federer, , Berdych, Del Potro, Wawrinka, all pushing themselves to the limits of what they can do to stay at the top.

In women's tennis we have Serena... and... erm... Azarenka? That's about it at the top. So many inconsistent players, it ridiculous, Li Na losing 6-0 6-3 to Serena? Pathetic, even more telling is maybe Azarenka not playing particularly well yet still making the final of a slam.

#58 ·
Terrible semi finals, Serena 6-0 6-3 against a supposedly decent top 5 player.

Azarenka plays like crap, yet wins in straight sets.

Awful, yet on the men's side we've just had yet another amazing 5 setter full of drama and quality. Players even received a standing ovation at the beginning of the 5th.

Makes the people who don't want 5 sets for at least women's finals look like fools.

#67 ·
Matches aren't very high quality, neither Serena nor Vika played very well to reach the final. But an exciting final will make up for it.

#74 ·
Only really memorable because of Dani and Flavia going deep, good thing really. And Ekats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.