Tennis Forum banner

Recommend a type of strings!

29K views 101 replies 49 participants last post by  moodin0931 
#1 ·
I play tennis about 3 times a week, I'd say I'm a little better than your average 19 year-old. I have big ground strokes, but I also like to volley and use my slice (typically, though, I have a two-handed backhand). I can get lazy, though, and miss big shots because my footing was wrong. I move, I just don't have the best footwork because I've never really been coached.

Anyway, right now I play with Gamma Synthetic Gut 16. I find it lasts about a month (playing 2-3 matches a week). I like it because it lasts a while, only costs $5, and best of all it breaks instead of losing tension. I hate the string that lasts for months and just gets loser and loser till you're forced to cut it anyway. I'd rather have my strings just break. I string myself, though, so perhaps if I had to take it somewhere I'd feel differently :lol:. I like these strings, but I'm trying to venture out and try some different kinds because I feel like I could find something better.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm trying to stay under $10 a racket. I'd prefer some non-Gamma suggestions, as all I've ever used is Gamma and I'd like to try a different brand. Basically, I want to experiment with strings to suit my game, but I don't know where to start :lol:

#3 ·
First of all, I can't afford $35+ a racket :ras:

Second, really? 66 lbs?? With what racket?

#5 ·
How about Synthetic Gut ?

Yeah, I have mine at 66lbs.

I use the Kfactor kblade team.

I have mine at 52 lbs with the Head liquid metal :lol:

#12 ·
I'm actually surprised people find this too loose :lol:.

But, I hit very flat. I have a very strong backhand, and I take the ball early and re direct it very hard, very flat where I want it. As for my forehand, I hit with a little more topspin but I just try to get it in and deep until I can hit a backhand winner.. I'm sure my forehand would benefit from tighter strings, but on my backhand I find myself over hitting and incapable of putting any more spin on it. I'd rather have that tough backhand and an OK forehand

:shrug:

#10 ·
I'd hybrid with a multi or syn. gut on one and poly on the other.
Poly on the mains obviously means more control and vice versa makes more power.
It's a really nice combo for me.

#14 ·
That's similar to how I am. I have yet to find strings that last me more than a couple weeks, except the ones that never break and I cut them because all the tension is gone long before the breaking point

#22 ·
That's about what I pay, although the 1.35 is a little thicker than I use (I use 16G, 1.30 mm)

#31 ·
I went to my stringer yesterday, and he said two people already came in and asked for the black Babolat strings that Nadal and Schiavone won Roland Garros with.

#32 ·
:spit:

:secret: (I was looking online for it just this morning :help: :lol: )

#33 · (Edited)
my friend and gold level stringer already has the babolat blast string in his rakcet. everyone seems to be going mad over them, hes doing them £20 restrung for a week or 2.

he gets them at cost price though as he buys direct from the companies or through W & D strings.

#37 ·
I use the same RDS 001 mid that Sammy uses.

Just like flyguydsl said, I swear by my big bangers.

Luxilon Big Bangers FTW, they are great if you are a big hitter . I switched to them two years ago, and haven't turned back. The spin I get off of them is fantastic. It also retains control even though I have a pretty long and fast swing.

For the record I always have one racket at 58 and one at 56. ;)

#42 ·
I just had one of my sticks strung with Big Banger ALU Power Spin at 58, and it is SWEET!! I've been very happy with the Gamma TNT2 16 that are in my other racquets, but I L-O-V-E the Luxilon.

#47 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried the Wilson Red 16 strings?

I am thinking about ordering some because I am a very hard ballbasher that is trying to get spin. I have been looking at babolat RPM 16 as well. what is the difference between the 16G and the 17G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.