Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012 (1 match and a withdrawal)

20K views 225 replies 27 participants last post by  Excelscior 
#1 · (Edited)
The others are Azarenka, Sharapova, Williams, Radwanska, Kerber, Errani and most likely Li. A tough field IMO. How do you see things playing out with Kvitova?

#3 ·
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

If Kvitty is at least 95% ready she can easily win against Errani, Kirbi, Aga. I don't believe she can easily dominate VikaZilla like it was last year since she is in superb form and way more stronger mentally, with NaNa matches always tough and fun so Petra out of her generosity can give game to her BFF or it could be other way around, Rena looks like she's done with her season so probably won't show up but if she shows up it would be for blood and Petra needs her last YEC form to have a chance to beat her, only against Shoulderpova i can't predict how match would go

#7 · (Edited)

Yeah I agree with all that it's a "who knows". We don't even know which Flying Leaf will show up. Still . . where's the fun in leaving it at that. :)

I decide to start with H2Hs for 2011 & 2012, hard-courts only.

Azarenka 0-0
Sharapova 0-1
Williams 0-0
Radwanska 0-0
Kerber 0-1
Errani 2-0
Li 1-1

Azarenka 1-0
Sharapova 1(ret.)-0
Williams 0-0
Radwanska 1-0
Kerber 0-0
Errani 0-0
Li 0-0

#9 ·

It's doubtful that anyone will like this idea:lol:,but I've been thinking about some changes to YEC that might prevent some of the exhausting,jet-hopping that some talented gals do at the end of the year...leaving them so spent that they can hardly stand up straight for YEC.How about a system where the Top 4 get a sort of 1st-round bye,with a single elimination stage for players #5 thru 12 to determine who got the other four spots for the 8-player RR??(This doesn't cement the subjective assertion that 8 is the ideal RR number...or that Round Robin is even the most desirable format to lead to the semis)

Sure,you'd still have gals hoarding tournaments and wearing themselves out to get the #11 and 12 spots for YEC but,the way I see it,the players in those ranking spots probably aren't YEC-winning material anyway.The gals between #5 and 10 would have a little more of a cushion to safely skip a tourney here and there while still qualifying(we saw how Petra made it w/o too much sweat,regardless),so they'd be physically sharper to provide comoetitive matches for the big,special year-ender.......Having thought this all through with true thoroughness:angel:,but I felt it was worth putting out there

#10 ·

Just like at the US OPen, Petra blew her chances to gain points on the people above her.

Aga lost in the 4th rd (if I'm correct) and lost 750 pts. Aga also lost early and lost points in Tokyo as well. Just like the US Open, Petra didn't take advantage, by losing before expected. Of course she had a virus in Beijing, so I guess we have to give her a pass there. I don't expect Aga to be in the top 4 next year.

Not sure if Petra's going to play a warm up event. But if not, she'll loose points from Linz, and she can't gain any points at YEC, only replace or lose.

#12 ·

Petra's level is nowhere near 2011. The extra weight and illnesses have not helped either.

She will not win YEC this year, and will be lucky to make semis. Ad she will certainly not beat Pova or Serena.

Hoping I'm wrong.

#13 ·

Petra's level is nowhere near 2011. The extra weight and illnesses have not helped either.
There WAS a legit improvement from Petra on N.A. hardcourts,but that improvement was undercut by horrendous schedule planning by Petra and her team

#16 ·

Some fleeting thoughts:

As I watch Sharapova get her butt kicked again (Sharapova loses 6-3 6-1, with horrible stats from both players), it really makes me laugh that Petra has lost three in a row to her.

And before Petronius can tell us how great Sharpie's been this year--compared to last year (though she can't beat seem to beat Vika, Serena and sometimes Aga and Kerber), the Australian Open wasn't like that. Not at all.

Sharapova was very fortunate she won that match. Even Sharapova fans said "Petra deserved" or "should of won that match". Kvitova only converted about 3 of 14 BP's (if I remember correctly), in a three set match, where she just seemed to give up at the end, following many close calls and numerous near break situations.

Yes, Petra was more comprehensively beaten at the French Open. No arguments there. But her lack of experience and preparation clearly showed in that Sharapova match at the Australian Open.

Shame! Cause Masha has so many exposable flaws in her game (for a top ranked player to exploit).

There's a reason why Masha couldn't win a final for such a long time (pressure), and why she seems to get her butt handed to her time and time again in these big matches (lack of skill level/ability to the competition). Petra tapped into those during Wimby (not including the surface--grass-- of course), and almost did at the Australian. But ever since Stuttgart, it's been down hill. :lol:

Hopefully there's a chance in 2013, or even the YEC, for Petra to start to reverse this recent almost-trend. When top players play well--or well on faster surfaces vs Masha, they make her look like a mug.

#17 ·

Ex,it's time for you to come out of the closet and admit what intense affection you have for Big Masha...how you dream of being her personal hot-tub masseur:p.

All joking aside,though,she doesn't need the money that much so I think it's some sign of respect that she agreed to face Petra in that exhibition right in the CR.I can't imagine her going to Serbia to play one of the mental cases...or the UK to play one of the young whippersnappers(not unless there were a huge,international,promotional push).In a way,it's an acknowledgment that Petra is a very legit rival...one capable of supplanting her,really....and one of the crown jewels of the WTA's future

#20 · (Edited)

Can somebody translate what is Petra talking about in the video she posted on facebook, please!
Petra visited a mini fashion show of her sponsor Steilmann in Prague … She will train more often with male hitting partners … „they return more balls“ ..., about training : service, return and net play ... she will be staying at Intercontinental during Fed cup … "Martic served very well and was very aggressive" … About Suarez Navaro match : "I had diarrhea in the morning and after the match I vomited."

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis...i-kvitova-a-vyhlizi-konec-roku-jako-loni.html
http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/volno-pred-turnajem-mistryn-mi-prospeje-veri-kvitova-10985/
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/...u-kvitovou-cekaji-dva-vrcholy-sezony--1121103

#21 ·

Petra visited a mini fashion show of her sponsor Steilmann in Prague … She will train more often with men hitting partners … „they return more balls“ ..., about training : service, return and net play ... she will be staying at Intercontinental during Fed cup … "Martic served very well and was very aggressive" … About Suarez Navaro match : "I had diarrhea in the morning and after the match I vomited."

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis...i-kvitova-a-vyhlizi-konec-roku-jako-loni.html
http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/volno-pred-turnajem-mistryn-mi-prospeje-veri-kvitova-10985/
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/...u-kvitovou-cekaji-dva-vrcholy-sezony--1121103
Duh!?

Did it take Petra and her team that long to figure that out? This is what I mean: Keystone Cops/The Gang that can't shoot straight. You're kidding me? :lol:

Even if Petra says, "it's for the YEC, you know better players are there". OK. But eventually, even in a regular tournament, you're going to face a Serena, Vika (not that she's played her) or Sharapova--if everyone keeps winning.

That's who you need to practice your serve, returns, ground strokes and volleys for. Can't she pay some smuck $40,000 a year to travel with her (or that's a "No No" with Adam)? Of course you can use them per hire, but you don't get the same consistency in every particular area, depending on what you're working on. But it's still better than no one or trying to scrap up Li Na.

I think this has been one of her problems this year (regarding errors, foot work, lack of consistency and execution, ROS problems), facing Sharapova and Serena, and even some scrubs early. There's no regular male hitting partner.

It doesn't mean that you're going to always beat those players (of course there can be other co-mitigating factors). But at least you get used to the pace and serve, by playing against someone that hit's just as hard, if not harder than they do, as you try to implement your game plan, tactics and new touches/improvements to your game. Obviously with the scrubs in the early around, its' just the consistency (or even practicing an area they excel in, that could give Petra particular trouble) where it can help.

And the less said about that Martic match (she of the horrendous record since May), the better. Please stop Petra. :lol:

I gather by her practice comments, she's FOCUSING on her serve, return and volleys (cause of course, I would hope she would always practice those things). Hopefully, she'll hit with more topspin, deep, corner to corner with more angles, like she did last year during her rally's, before the volley or ground stroke winner. "Ahhh Petra (hands in the air)". SMH.

We'll see?

#22 ·

Playing with guys is completely different than when you hit with girls – more topspin, deeper more powerful shots and ESPECIALLY more of the topspin-looper type shots that force you to hit w/open stance. Lots of girls hit flatter and tend to put the ball more in the "strike zone" so to speak (somewhere between base/service line) and it's harder to practice hitting off balance, off your wrong foot, etc. etc. – so I really hope she can have a consistent hitting partner.

Serena has a guy hitting partner right? Which has probably helped Serena greatly w/control, power, and reaction time as well since a lot of guys have longer reach/better athleticism.

Playing with guys always scares me :scared: I'm just like WHAT? HOW TOPSPIN??

Guys' overheads/serves are always really powerful as well. So I can't lob them at the net and if I do by accident I just back up and try not to get hit. :lol:

#72 ·

Playing with guys is completely different than when you hit with girls – more topspin, deeper more powerful shots and ESPECIALLY more of the topspin-looper type shots that force you to hit w/open stance.
Yeah but I'd think that pro hitting partners have the ability to hit whatever shots the coach wants the player to work on.

Here's an article I'd posted to GM;

http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/10/g...art-two/39656/

JD: It’s important to have a good hitting partner, too. I’ve read that you worked with Maria Sharapova in this capacity. What does it take to be an exemplary sparring partner?

CM: Hitting partners are there to set up the ball for whatever the coach wants the player to do. It sounds simple, but actually doing it consistently is very tough. Because you’re trying to groove them and get their confidence up, and that’s tricky. For me, it was about trying to bridge the relationship between the coach and the player—seeing what he’s trying to do for her, the player, and then manipulating the ball in order for her to believe in what the coach is trying to tell her.

JD: What do you mean?

CM: Like, if we’re working on low balls, I’m manipulating the ball to be low, so that she can keep on hitting it and trusting it. It takes repetition to get that feel. But if I can’t hit that shot low and with slice in exactly the way the coach wants it to be hit, then the player might not start believing. And the coach can see: If the coach tries to hit with the player, he can’t evaluate him or her from different angles. To do his job, he needs the help of a good hitter.

JD: And if you’re not consistently perfect, then she may not get into that groove?

CM: Right, exactly. Hitting partners are ones who always give a great ball that’s consistent and true to what the rest of the field is hitting. I felt like I was always good, because I’m pretty fast, and I can get a lot of balls back. I’m like a human ball machine who can go from different places, different angles, and just hit you another ball. [Laughing]

JD: It seems on tour that it’s more the women who utilize hitting partners, not the men. Why is that?

CM: It’s a tough question. The subject of a hitting partner is weird, it’s interesting. I know guys use hitting partners to practice. Growing up, I practiced at Bollettieri’s, so I was a hitting partner for Boris Becker and Petr Korda—all the pros went over there to play. I traveled to Munich three times with Boris Becker to hit with him. I think that really helped me a lot in my game.

But yeah, I get this vibe: I don’t know if everyone feels like there’s a need for hitting partners. People say, like, “girls should be practicing with each other,” things like that. But for the women, I think they always travel with hitting partners just to make sure to always have somebody who’s better than them. But it’s a good question. I’m really not sure why it’s like that.

#25 ·

Part of me thinks Petra has had a really crappy year with her body and health, and she'll come roaring back 2013.

#28 ·

Part of me thinks Petra has had a really crappy year with her body and health, and she'll come roaring back 2013.

#35 · (Edited)

I am pleased to read in the Czech press that Petra's also working on her netplay and plans to play aggressively in Istanbul, because she knows that against in-form baseline bashers and grinders like Sharpie and Vuvu she would have tough time without using variety and offensive aggression. :)

EDIT: Allegedly, she also wants to build on her solid perfomances during the US series rather than on the Asian swing fiasco, which is totally understandable :lol:

#41 ·

I am pleased to read in the Czech press that Petra's also working on her netplay and plans to play aggressively in Istanbul, because she knows that against in-form baseline bashers and grinders like Sharpie and Vuvu she would have tough time without using variety and offensive aggression. :)

EDIT: Allegedly, she also wants to build on her solid perfomances during the US series rather than on the Asian swing fiasco, which is totally understandable :lol:
Thank god.

We saw how that worked against Vika last year :drool: The top 10 is like my favorites list right now but Petra is the only player where I root for her in every single matchup. Which is, at times.............nervewracking.

Hitting for the lines just ughhh thank god whenever Petra is forced to/decides to play defensively it's like NO WHY. As long as they land in or on the line...instead of 400000 feet out....

#36 ·

I will laugh my ass off if Petra shelves all this "add more topspin and play conservative" crap, comes to Istanbul, hits for the lines and attacks the net... and blows them all away.

#37 ·

I will laugh my ass off if Petra shelves all this "add more topspin and play conservative" crap, comes to Istanbul, hits for the lines and attacks the net... and blows them all away.
Oy.... if only

#54 ·

Luxembourg would be good because then she can play herself into form instead of losing in RR at the YECs. :eek: I feel like she's one of those players where unless she's on already she needs those easy warmup matches and there is no way she's getting those in Istanbul.

#56 ·

Is confirmed, Petra is not playing any warm ups before YEC, according to Katie Spellman!

@Spellman_Katie:
“@stephanie_her: @Spellman_Katie Hello Katie! Is Petra playing a warm up before YEC? thanks!” No, she is practicing indoors at home

#58 ·

Oh, and PS Shifty: Adam was with Petra at Linz as well (you may or may not had been saying that in your previous post). He was even listed in her box as "coach" by Eurosport. :lol:

You could tell Jo Durie knew who he was and didn't want to touch it (cause she smiled and almost laughed when they showed him on Camera--listing him as Petra's "coach"). :oh:

#66 · (Edited)

Off topic, I always wonder what the Pliskova twins(I kinda like them) think about Petra, if they see her as a role model or something else, in a recent interview Krystina said something interesting, btw somebody knows if Petra has a friendship with the twins?

Krystina Pliskova
If you could meet anyone in the world who would you like it to be?
KP: On court or off court? On court, it would be Petra Kvitova. Off court, ummm, I'm not sure.

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/GettingToKnow/Read/0,,12781~2945700,00.html

#79 ·

I...don't know how much I want that. She's not in the form to beat Serena atm. Last year, maybe. I also don't know if a rematch of last year would be good because Vika's so on fire lately...finals vs. Maria would be fun to see but I don't think Maria will get that far.

#problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.