Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

377K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#2,946 ·
"Touching"? Im not sure if thats the right description of the feeling. He was doing his own best for her while she was young. At some moment she decided he doesn't have more to give, so she left to Prostejov. He felt quite embrarassed/betrayed until he found out that this was the only right choice for her. He did his part perfectly and she did what would be the best for her at the right time.
I think, at the second Wimbledon final match, he just found out that it was all just right and he won this "match of the life" together with his daugther.
I wish i have father like that.

#2,947 ·
"Touching"? Im not sure if thats the right description of the feeling. He was doing his own best for her while she was young. At some moment she decided he doesn't have more to give, so she left to Prostejov. He felt quite embrarassed/betrayed until he found out that this was the only right choice for her. He did his part perfectly and she did what would be the best for her at the right time.
I think, at the second Wimbledon final match, he just found out that it was all just right and he won this "match of the life" together with his daugther.
I wish i have father like that.
Are you sure? :confused:
I just cannot buy this vision of the 16 year old Petra who just finished primary school saying "Dad, you're fired! :ras: I'm going to the Prostejov Club."
:rolleyes:
I think it was rather them (Cernosek and his scouts) who found out about her and convinced her parents that they will give her everything she needs if she joins their club and signs the contract with the devil. :devil: :cool:

#2,948 ·
Are you sure? :confused:
I just cannot buy this vision of the 16 year old Petra who just finished primary school saying "Dad, you're fired! :ras: I'm going to the Prostejov Club."
:rolleyes:
I think it was rather them (Cernosek and his scouts) who found out about her and convinced her parents that they will give her everything she needs if she joins their club and signs the contract with the devil. :devil: :cool:
yeah that sounds about right :lol:

#2,951 ·
Which sportsman would you like to be?
If I’m allowed to choose a man it would be Jaromir Jagr, the Czech ice hockey legend who plays for New Jersey Devils.
Interesting, Jagr is perfect example of somebody who was able to turn huge talent into a big success by extreme hard work, :worship: if only she had at least 10% of his work ethic and dedication to the sport she would be the next Serena. :lol: :(

Three most-listened to songs on your i-pod?
Am I Wrong by Nico and Vinz, Rip Tight by Vince Joy and Budapest by Ezra
Oh, Petra, :lol: it's Riptide by Vance Joy. :haha:

It's not that bad after all, I was a little worried at the start of the interview but the questions got a bit more interesting at the end. ;)

#2,953 ·
Does the lack of ambitions limit PK? I've just read a Q&A article with PK and I find her answers alarming. Not only she says that she has already achieved what she had WANTED to achieve this year (a slam), but also that she would be fine hadn't she made it to Singapore. A player of her calibre should have a desire to conquer the Tour, don't you think? She also gives FED Cup a slight preference to the YEC. I would rather see her win the YEC than FED Cup, preferably both of course.

This is a Google translation of the article. Focus on the last two answers.

#2,955 ·
That maxi-desire is good for those like Radwa or Woz, who always wanted to climb the top declaring it in several press interviews, but actually never did it (still being slamless, YEC-less). Petra neednt mention to press, which all trophies she still wants to get. She better shows that on the court and thats much better...

#2,956 ·
I've just read the article and I don't have the same opinion like you. ;) :rolleyes: I think that she talks like this mainly because the first half of the year was disaster and her goals for this year really weren't as high as they might be if she knew she would be able to play like this for longer period of time. I also didn't get the impression that she thinks Fed Cup is more than the YEC (she definitely didn't compare them or didn't say what she likes more in this interview). :cool:

However, it has been always questionable if she wants to be the best of the bests or if she can adjust her goals if she radically improves her level of play during the season. :tape:

#2,957 ·
Talking to press didnt bring any fruits to anybody. The less you talk, the more time to train you have. And Petra follows this rule (fortunatelly). Genie or Sharpie have their own world and I am pretty glad, the one of Petra is quite different.

Plus this is a good strategy, thats for sure. The fewer goals to achieve you declare to have in the press, the less stressed youll be while being confronted with what you said before...

#2,959 ·

So that's how she did it, :eek: damn! :lol:

#2,966 ·
#2,972 ·
:hysteric::hysteric: Knowing how Kvitty loves her Jewellery and Diamonds she is going to try and win this thing for sure - it will be her top priority even over the Stutgart Porche Car madness...This will be an indoor tournament and Petra is gonna gobble this for sure - if Amelie Mauresmo can with this Diamond Raquet nothing is gonna stop the Express Kvitty Train bar 'Radek';) :hysteric:

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4207188/title/clijsters-to-be-tournament-director

"After seven years, world class tennis is coming back to Antwerp," she said. "The new BNP Paribas Fortis Diamond Games will not only become a high-level tennis event, but much more than that."
One of the traditions unique to the tournament in its first incarnation, and which will return for this reboot, is the coveted diamond racquet - anyone who wins the tournament twice in three years wins a special racquet made with 4.5 kilograms of gold and 2008 diamonds. It's worth $1.5 million.
"Believe me, that makes this tournament particularly attractive for the female tennis players!" Clijsters said about the coveted diamond racquet. "Our first goal is to set up the strongest possible competition, including some of the biggest stars in tennis and several players from the Top 20.

#2,974 ·
:hysteric::hysteric: Knowing how Kvitty loves her Jewellery and Diamonds she is going to try and win this thing for sure - it will be her top priority even over the Stutgart Porche Car madness...This will be an indoor tournament and Petra is gonna gobble this for sure - if Amelie Mauresmo can with this Diamond Raquet nothing is gonna stop the Express Kvitty Train bar 'Radek';) :hysteric:
Antwerp is right after a fed cup tie for the Czechs in Canada, which is itself the week after Aussie Open, so difficult scheduling for Petra, even with a bye in 1R :(

It's a big shame she gets so few chances for indoor tournaments outside of the YEC. Current WTA schedule is really shit for indoor tennis :mad:

According to Polish sport press Petra's new boyfriend is Radek Meidl - hockeyplayer from Polish club Polonia Bytom Yesterday she went from Ostrava to Katowice to watch him playing against Naprzod Janow. Radek's team lost.
wikipedia says he was born in Prostějov, so maybe she's known him a while?

#2,977 ·
Yep.

#2,981 ·
She was single for some time (I'm not entirely sure when she broke up with Stepanek) but she's been dating the new Radek since July according to Paul. ;)

#2,988 ·
Fairly standard 'small-town girl' stuff for most of this article, but Petra does talk about the #1 ranking:

"...in the longer term Kvitova has her eyes on the world No 1 ranking. With comparatively few points to defend before Wimbledon, that goal could be within her reach. "Of course you have to be healthy and you need to be playing at a very high level in every tournament, in every match, so it’s very difficult," she says. "But it’s something that I haven’t achieved and it’s a feeling I would like to experience."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...o-live-with-her-celebrity-status-9797041.html

#2,994 ·
Fairly standard 'small-town girl' stuff for most of this article, but Petra does talk about the #1 ranking:

"...in the longer term Kvitova has her eyes on the world No 1 ranking. With comparatively few points to defend before Wimbledon, that goal could be within her reach. "Of course you have to be healthy and you need to be playing at a very high level in every tournament, in every match, so it’s very difficult," she says. "But it’s something that I haven’t achieved and it’s a feeling I would like to experience."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...o-live-with-her-celebrity-status-9797041.html
;) If Petra likes the feeling of experiencing' two Radkes:p then I am sure she is gonna make this wish a reality:angel:

#2,993 ·
Maybe, that's her new PR. :secret: :rolleyes:

#2,995 ·
:angel: Lets's hope Petra brings the trophy home - Paul may need to make room in his trophy cabinet yet again:cheer:
16 October 2014

Rittner rallies for Fed Cup

NEWS ARTICLE
By Sandra Harwitt

Photo: SMP ImagesCaptain Barbara Rittner (GER)

For the first time in 22 years Germany is back in the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Final with the hope of winning the title for the first time since that 1992 victory.

Only one lady - Barbara Rittner - will be notable for playing a role in both the 1992 victory and the upcoming 2014 Fed Cup Final against the Czech Republic.

In 1992, Rittner was a player on the German team that defeated Spain 2-1 to win the Fed Cup title for the second time. Germany also claimed the Cup in 1987.

In 2014, the 41-year-old Rittner is in her ninth season as the captain and guiding force of Germany’s Fed Cup efforts.

“I know we are just looking forward to playing in a final after 22 years,” said Rittner. “We’re really focused on that and we will be trying our best.”

As a player, Rittner competed in 29 ties, compiling an overall 19-22 win-loss record, over an 11-year period representing Germany in Fed Cup. But as she’s quick to admit, during much of her Fed Cup playing career she was not the driving force for the team.

“It was always very special for me to play for my country,” Rittner said. “In the beginning when I started we had a girl on the team who was named Steffi Graf, so the focus was always on her. Our team had Steffi and Anke Huber as well, so in the beginning I was only like a substitute player. But I was on this great team having great experiences.”

During the 1992 victory, Germany had already secured the Cup by winning both singles matches when Rittner teamed with Huber to lose the doubles rubber to Conchita Martinez and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario.

“My memories are that I didn’t have to play (to help us win), so the responsibilities had been on Steffi and Anke since back then we only played two singles and one doubles match,” Rittner said. “Another great thing about that tie was in Frankfurt, back at home, and it was great memories. I was proud to be a part of that team.”

Fast forward to the 2003-2004 season when the idea that Rittner might be the ideal future Fed Cup captain for Germany started to germinate. She was still playing, but was hindered by a series of injuries, and seemed close to retirement.

“Some people started to come up to me and asked me if I could imagine being Fed Cup captain,” Rittner said. “It was then I started thinking about doing that. Klaus Hofsass, who was the Fed Cup captain when we won it, said to me, ‘You are the right one to do it, so do it.’”

In 2005, Rittner went straight from competitor to captain.

“Without having time off I went to be the captain,” Rittner continued. “I didn’t know if I’d be good doing it. But I thought I’d give it a try, give it my best, and I found I really liked it. I like to work with players.”

At the outset, Rittner didn’t have many top players to pepper her squad with when she first took over the job. But she’d taken the position with the understanding she wanted comprehensive involvement in developing young German talent.

“My first priority was that I wanted to work with the juniors as well, take responsibility for the whole of women’s tennis (in Germany) and that’s what they gave to me.”

Rittner’s strategy worked in Germany’s favor. This year, Rittner fielded a team with the top 10 Angelique Kerber, top 20 Andrea Petkovic, as well as top 100 Julia Goerges and top 40 doubles player Anna-Lena Groenefeld that pitched in to deliver Germany to the final.

“Now I’m sitting 10 years later from becoming the captain and we are in the Fed Cup final after 22 years,” Rittner said. “That is definitely something I’m proud of.”

Throughout her tenure as Fed Cup captain, Rittner stressed the importance of building a bond between her players. During Fed Cup weeks the team spend every waking hour together. And at the Grand Slams, Rittner hosts a dinner for all the German girls and their coaches to facilitate keeping everyone on the same page.

Now that she’s delivered Germany back to a Fed Cup Final, Rittner knows the real work is just week’s away when they face the Czech Republic in Prague. The Czechs have been the preeminent Fed Cup team of late, winning the 2011-2012 competition. The Czechs also hold a 6-1 winning record over Germany in Fed Cup meetings, including two victories in the past five years.

Despite the difficult challenge ahead, Rittner plans on arriving in Prague with a confident team. But in the big picture she believes no matter how it turns out the Fed Cup competition will be the resounding winner.

“We just want to win it, but so do the Czechs,” Rittner said. “I’m just looking forward to seeing some great matches. If I start thinking about it I get excited and I hope we can enjoy it and the girls can show their best tennis, all of them even the Czech girls.”

#2,997 ·
Nice, :rolleyes: but I've realised that The Times is not free. :mad: