Tennis Forum banner

P. Mac fired by USTA.

19K views 165 replies 75 participants last post by  Crater718 
#1 ·
NY Times is reporting that he has been fired from his job as head of Player Development.
Good Riddance.

#36 ·
But juniors dont matter. Its a whole different sport on the top level.
Whenever they say "we have great 15 year olds.." That means: "We have nothing, so wait 10 years"

#38 ·
I love how they talk about how great the Women are, but they are COMPLETELY ignoring that bullshit that Patrick pulled last year with Taylor :eek:

#47 ·
She's doing that All by Herself. (If she changed her physique, She would be amazed at her own damn self…just how much easier the game would come to her…she has all the tools…just not the facility so that they may work).

#44 ·
I'm sick of hearing about the "death of American tennis" when there are tons of promising women though :rolleyes:. That said, PMac doesn't seem to be the person for the job.

#80 · (Edited)
:spit:
____

I am sure he was behind Townsend playing Serena in the first round because she called him and the USTA out in the past. Townsend could have made it to the third or fourth round at this U.S. Open. It's good to see chickens coming home to roost.
My thoughts exactly.

#51 ·
In addition, during McEnroe’s tenure, the number of top-ranked men has ebbed. In 2008, eight American men were in the top 100 of the world rankings, and Andy Roddick was still in the top 10. Three others were in the top 50. Now, only 15th-ranked John Isner, who was eliminated Saturday in the third round of the Open, is the top 50, and only six Americans are in the top 100 over all.
Oooo, what a disaster :rolleyes:

#54 ·

Mria is pleased.

#56 ·
He was only appointed in 2008, six years ago. Critics who blame him for the lack of top US players right now aren't being fair given his relatively short tenure - the lack of top players today obviously has more to do with his predecessors than his efforts from 2008 to today. The way I read the article, his ouster had more to do with his unwillingness to move to Orlando rather than anything else.

#58 ·
He sure didn't seem too pressed. :lol:

#61 ·
If you listened to Patrick between matches, he said he ''stepped down'' and was not fired and that the reason was that he didn't want to relocate to Orlando, where the headquarters would now be based.

#64 ·
The main criticism of PMac has to do with poaching players from their established team by offering WC's and money. A lot of coaches (including Landsdorp) are mad about it. They prefer a system like Canada and French etc where a player is supported but does not have to choose between the coach that got them that far and the USTA. They poached Madison from Evert Academy. Sloane from the guy who coaches Genie. Oh and lots of complaints about how horrible the USTA coaches are. There is a lot of backstory.

As for the Junior fiasco go to Zoo Tennis. It's long and complicated but basically parents are IRATE. He got serious flack for the changes.

#66 ·
The main criticism of PMac has to do with poaching players from their established team by offering WC's and money. A lot of coaches (including Landsdorp) are mad about it. They prefer a system like Canada and French etc where a player is supported but does not have to choose between the coach that got them that far and the USTA. They poached Madison from Evert Academy. Sloane from the guy who coaches Genie. Oh and lots of complaints about how horrible the USTA coaches are. There is a lot of backstory.

As for the Junior fiasco go to Zoo Tennis. It's long and complicated but basically parents are IRATE. He got serious flack for the changes.
i wonder if chrissie got pissed about that?? :lol:

thanks for the info

#65 ·
The Orlando thing is another disaster. Can't believe they said they are moving forward with that.

#78 ·
This.

There's no way he would have gotten all those cushy, high paying gigs if he weren't John's brother. He sure didn't earn them on his own merits.

#70 ·
Since we're talking about the guys and not just the ladies, let me say this: in no way am I saying Patrick did an outstanding job. However:

Donald was a total train wreck. The guy is stubborn as fuck, refused USTA help and whatnot.
Ryan has just completely imploded.
Jack is doing well, so the jury's still out on him.
Can't speak about the rest. Don't know enough about them.

Did Patrick do a great job? Of course not. Did he do as bad a job as people made it out to be? No.

#98 ·
BS. nice conspiracy theory. Like he controls the draw. And the USTA helped Townsend to #1 World Junior in the first place. Their coaching and funding helped her. Do you think her family had the money coming from humble means to get to where she is. Of course not. With all the help she got, is it unfair to ask her to get in the best shape possible? No. You can't blame the player development program for all these players failures once they got out of the juniors. At some point, the players themselves need to take some responsibility.

#77 ·
Bye bitch gif would be really appropriate here.

#79 ·
Folks at ESPN put a different spin on his departure. Basically, he didn't get fired and it was his choice. Or an agreement. I really zoned out, because I really didn't care. Lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.