Tennis Forum banner

College Player results in Summer 2011 Professional and other Tournaments

10K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  tie_breaker 
#1 ·
Like the title says, this thread is to comment about college players who are playing tournaments at the professional level during the summer. There is a separate thread for college players playing ITA summer circuit. US Open Circuit, or whats it called.

#10 ·
She is a decent player. The problem in her match at Cleveland was that she was SO inconsistent! As the rallies got longer, she would hit a bigger ball and a lot of errors would creep in.

#16 ·
For the Boston 50K,in the qualifier, USC's Maria Sanchez defeated Florida's Lauren Embree, and in the next round, Stanford's recurit Ellen Tsay, defeated Sanchez. Tsay then lost in the first round of the main draw. Stanford's Gibb's was a direct entry into the main draw, and also lost her first round match to PELLETIER, Marie-Eve (CAN) in three sets, winning the first set.

#19 ·
She had to sit a year out because of academics I believe. I watched her Q1 in Cleveland over Fidan Manahirova. She was talking to Kelsey Haviland's mom and she will be at UVA in the Fall (we'll see after Cleveland, but I think she will go). She also mentioned that the coach cut 2 players, but I may have heard that wrong, we'll see about that in the Fall as well :lol:

#20 ·
When Virginia signed Li Xi we knew someone had to be cut to make room for her. Most likely that was Katie Gater.

When Virginia got a verbal from blue chip Molly O'Koniewski back in April 2010 we knew someone else had to be cut for the 2011-12 season to make room for her. Maybe the player cut didn't see it coming but we knew this was coming over a year ago. :lol:

#21 ·
Supposedly it was for performance and it's illegal to cut someone from the team for that, so they say that it could be fore attiude or for something else. Maybe someone will stay but a a walk-on? Not too sure..

#27 ·
Stanford's Nicole Gibbs to play Lauren Davis in Final of Buffalo 10K.

Danielle Collins ( a class of 2012) pushed her in the semi. Just from the score, Collins won first set 5-7, Gibbs won second set in tiebreak, then Gibbs rolled in the third.

#29 ·
Tan received QWC for Mercury Insurance Open (SD)again, won the tourney.

LINK

'Pacific Palisades, Calif. (July 4, 2011) – Third-seeded Stacey Tan of Lakewood defeated Maureen Diaz of Glendale, 6-3, 6-0, to win the Mercury Insurance Open Presented by Tri-City Medical Center Opportunity Tournament at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades on Sunday, July 3.

The 19-year-old Tan, an All-American at Stanford University who reached the singles final of the 2011 NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Championships this past May, will receive a wild card into the qualifying draw of the Mercury Insurance Open which begins July 30 at The La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad.

“It feels great. It was a tough tournament and the competition level was pretty high,” said Tan following her straight-set victory over Diaz.

It was the second straight year Tan defeated Diaz in the final of the Mercury Insurance Open Opportunity event at the Riviera Tennis Club. After winning last year’s Opportunity Tournament, Tan received a wild card into the Mercury Insurance Open qualifying singles draw, where she fell to Greta Arn of Hungary, 6-0, 6-3 in the first round.

Despite last year’s loss, Tan said the experience she gained playing in the qualifying draw helped her to focus on improving her game. “I’m really excited,” she said. “I’m going to prepare my best and hopefully do better this year, than I did last year.”

A four-time MVP and high school All-American in tennis at Lakewood High School, Tan recently completed her sophomore year at Stanford University where she compiled a 32-10 record in singles. This last May, she became only the 10th unseeded player to appear in an NCAA singles final.
The second Mercury Insurance Open Opportunity Tournament will take place July 6-9 at the Laguna Niguel Racquet Club in Laguna Niguel. The third and final Mercury Insurance Open Opportunity Tournament will be held July 13-17 at the San Diego Tennis & Racquet Club in San Diego. The winner of each tournament will receive a wild card into the qualifying draw of the 2011 Mercury Insurance Open.

The 2011 Mercury Insurance Open field will be highlighted by Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, two-time defending US Open champion and reigning Australian Open champion Kim Clijsters, former world #1 Ana Ivanovic, current world #3 Vera Zvonareva, 2010 champion Svetlana Kuznetsova, 2010 runner up Agnieszka Radwanska and other top stars on the WTA Tour including Daniela Hantuchova, Flavia Pennetta, Andrea Petkovic, Julia Goerges, Coco Vandeweghe, Christina McHale and Melanie Oudin.

Individual tickets are now on sale for the 2011 Mercury Insurance Open, July 30 to August 7 at the La Costa Resort and Spa. Reserved grandstand and box seat tickets, which range from $10-$125, are now available online at mercuryinsuranceopen.com or through Ticketmaster at ticketmaster.com. Tournament ticket packages are also on sale and begin at $70.'

#31 ·
125th SCTA OPEN SECTIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS/FARMERS CLASSIC MEN'S WILD CARD TOURNAMENT

F (3) Sylvia Kosakowski d. (2) Cierra Gaytan-Leach 6-1; 6-3
SF (2) Cierra Gaytan-Leach d. Toby Miclat 6-3; 6-7; 6-4
SF (3) Sylvia Kosakowski d. (1) Alison Ramos 6-1; 6-1
Q (2) Cierra Gaytan-Leach d. Megan Sandford 6-2; 6-2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.