Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

490K views 5K replies 229 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#2,642 ·
Pippa Middleton wore Alexander McQueen's dress at the Royal Wedding.And she looked pretty good in that.

Catherine Middleton’s sister Philippa Middleton is the chief bridesmaid.

She also wore an Alexander McQueen dress which was designed and created by Sarah Burton.

The ivory satin-based crepe dress with a cowl front has the same button detail and lace trims as the Bride’s dress.

Pippa’s dress is similar in style to the red Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2009 dress Cameron Diaz wore to the 2010 Golden Globe Awards.
Can't wait to see Maria wear McQueen's dress. :drool:

#2,648 · (Edited)
Masha's Wimbledon earrings are :hearts: perhaps the best she has ever worn!

From Masha's FB: Revealing what Tiffany & Co. earrings I will wear before a slam is always one of my favorite posts!! I have such a special relationship with the brand. So when I opened the "little blue box" this time, I found the most amazing Tiffany Legacy diamond drop earrings, just the right amount of glamorous sparkle. I am a lucky girl!!! You can see more of them here: http://bit.ly/l6aZnj

#2,650 ·
As an aside, I want my future engagement ring to be similar to a yellow gold Tiffany Setting ring. Those are just so simple and classic. And I'm totes into the yellow gold over platinum. If I get proposed to with platinum, I might say no.

#2,654 ·
I have no clue about earrings but is 3900 an expensive price for Tiffany's standards? :wavey:

#2,656 ·
Thx! Still most of casual fans won't be able to afford it methinks :lol:

But what did you do with Virgin Mary? :sobbing:

#2,661 ·
Good article on Maria:

She is by no means undaunted however, and seems to have the kind of long-term focus that many of her opponents are lacking, particularly those from the younger generation. "You don't get from the first step to the 30th step in one jump. I have always said it's a long journey, and there's going to be… there have been tough moments," Sharapova said just a few weeks ago. "There's going to be good moments ahead, plenty of good ones that I'm going to cherish - I really have no doubt in that. That's why I go out and I keep working." If she can combine this calm confidence with a solid service, then a fourth Grand Slam title could be hers come Saturday 2 July.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-17/201106171308306908143.html

#2,665 ·
#2,664 ·
Sharapova hoping to savour her biggest triumph

For Maria Sharapova, winning this year's title at Wimbledon will mean more to her than the three Grand Slam titles she has already collected.

Speaking on the eve of her ninth campaign at the All England Club, the Russian says she will appreciate the feat of winning a major that much more, given her well-documented struggles with a chronic shoulder injury. "If I do achieve that, if it's here, if it's somewhere else, I think it would be my biggest achievement in my career," she says.

"Before the injury everything was kind of moving up … You just naturally woke up, you went to practise, and then all of a sudden one day it was kind of taken away from you.

"So you kind of have to step back and look at things from a different angle. And then when you get back there, you basically start from zero. You try to get yourself to a level where you can compete with the top players, beating them day in, day out. Yeah, it's a long process."

The world No.6 is many people's pick for the title, despite not having won a Grand Slam in three-and-a-half years. With the Williams sisters an unknown quantity following lengthy absences, Kim Clijsters missing from the tournament and top seed Caroline Wozniacki failing to play up to her No.1 ranking, 2004 Wimbledon Champion Sharapova finds herself a hot favourite thanks to her big-match experience and a game tailor-made for grass.

But she is quick to quash discussion of favouritism. "I think we have to treat each match as if it's the final of the tournament, and you can't underestimate your opponent at any point. I think it's really important to just focus on your next one," she says. "I've never really been one to name favourites. It's not really been my job. I think that's more the media's job than anyone else's."

Interestingly for a fast-court player and a former Wimbledon winner, Sharapova has played her way back into form this year on clay, winning the Premier-level title in Rome and reaching the semi-finals at Roland Garros. It has bolstered her confidence heading into The Championships.

"I'm improving my tennis. I'm playing a lot better," she says. "I played a lot of matches on clay, which I really wanted to do. I always feel like one of the reasons I love the transition is because I feel like you learn so much about the game when you're on the clay courts. You think a little bit more constructing the points and all those things. I played a few tough three setters. But it's always good, like I said, to get back on the grass."

It's hard to believe her Wimbledon success came seven years ago. After all, she's just 24. But after following up her 2004 victory with runs to the semi-finals in 2005 and 2006, Sharapova has failed to pass the fourth round since.

Not that she's let her poor recent record tarnish the memories of her improbable victory over Serena Williams as a 17-year-old. "I think the fact that no matter what I achieve or how I do here, that when I retire from my career, I know that I was a very small part of Wimbledon's history," she says.

"You know, it's incredible to be part of the tradition and all the champions. Hopefully I can repeat that. That would be a dream of mine. But I have only the best memories from here."

Even though she could have side-stepped the exhaustive rehabilitation process and retired comfortably with her three major trophies and millions of dollars, Sharapova believes she can add to that bank of happy memories.

"I think I had many opportunities in my time to say that I've had enough or that I've achieved plenty, more than I ever thought I would, that I have all these accomplishments, but yet I still felt like there was something missing. I still felt like there was a lot more inside of me when I wanted to play," she reveals.

"When I was injured, I did many things. I worked on many projects, I spent holidays with friends and family. But at the end of the day, those didn't mean anything compared to what it means to win tennis matches."

If she wins seven this fortnight, they'll be the sweetest victories yet.
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-18/201106181308412559065.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.