Is there really a Big 3/4 or is it just the Big 2? - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #91
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is there really a Big 3/4 or is it just the Big 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
You mean this Clijsters?

This. I loathe Saint Sin, but there's no doubt how worthy an athlete and challenger she was during Serena's prime and generation as a whole.

Sin, Henin, Venus, Davenport, even Capriati make this generation look like a total fail.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #92
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
You're the one being really arrogant here and no Serena ain't leaving clay for fun, just admit that she is not that good on the surface and we will be fine.
Clay isn't her favorite surface, but I ain't letting one freak loss cloud my judgement about her chances on the surface.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #93
country flag Serena_Williams_

Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
You mean this Clijsters?

Serena beat herself there.But even so Kim prooved she was tought opponent for Serena on times even in her prime.
“I'm not used to crying. . . . It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. It's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win, that's all. I'm just going to have to keep smiling.”-Serena Williams
Serena_Williams_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #94
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

Trying to slot in WTA players alongside ATP ones to make a "big 3" is jumping the gun.

Serena is currently a "big 1" and the only one that can be compared with Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. For the rest it's too soon to tell - we need a few more years to see if this is a big 2/3/4/whatever.

No WTA player made at least the QF of all 4 slams either last year or in 2011, so we've not yet seen the situation that the ATP have had for years.

The key problem is not the current crop - it's the generation of the same age as Nadal & Djokovic (Ana, Jelena, Sveta, etc) that mostly faded away, and have left the field to a mix of younger players & some late bloomers (like Sam & Na). The younger ones have years ahead of them to improve and progress - or to also fade.

In terms of achievements, Azarenka is currently more like Murray - gradual progress over a few years and now getting the temperament to win slams. But still too early to judge how the coming years will play out for her.

I'd see Sharapova as more comparable to a player like Hewitt, who's had a very good career (some slam wins & the number 1 ranking) but after early success couldn't live with the multi-slam greats when they hit their stride. It seems she can't adapt her game enough.

If ATP players like Berdych, Del potro, Tsonga and others hadn't had to contend with three great players like Federer, Nadal & Djokovic, and instead there'd been just one great (as with Serena in the WTA) their careers would look better
pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #95
country flag Coconut91

Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future Coconut91 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
Trying to slot in WTA players alongside ATP ones to make a "big 3" is jumping the gun.

Serena is currently a "big 1" and the only one that can be compared with Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. For the rest it's too soon to tell - we need a few more years to see if this is a big 2/3/4/whatever.

No WTA player made at least the QF of all 4 slams either last year or in 2011, so we've not yet seen the situation that the ATP have had for years.

The key problem is not the current crop - it's the generation of the same age as Nadal & Djokovic (Ana, Jelena, Sveta, etc) that mostly faded away, and have left the field to a mix of younger players & some late bloomers (like Sam & Na). The younger ones have years ahead of them to improve and progress - or to also fade.

In terms of achievements, Azarenka is currently more like Murray - gradual progress over a few years and now getting the temperament to win slams. But still too early to judge how the coming years will play out for her.

I'd see Sharapova as more comparable to a player like Hewitt, who's had a very good career (some slam wins & the number 1 ranking) but after early success couldn't live with the multi-slam greats when they hit their stride. It seems she can't adapt her game enough.

If ATP players like Berdych, Del potro, Tsonga and others hadn't had to contend with three great players like Federer, Nadal & Djokovic, and instead there'd been just one great (as with Serena in the WTA) their careers would look better
EXACTLY. I'll never understand why people blame everything on the young generation. We are talking about 21, 22, 23 year olds at most, who have years ahead to win more Grand Slams/fade away/emerge/whatever, but somehow nobody remembers that the likes of Jankovic, Zvonareva, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, etc., are the ones who should be filling that spot right now, dominating the tour, beating Serena, winning the Grand Slams.

I mean are Goffin, Dimitrov or Nishikori bashed because they're not part of the "Big 4", or because they've never come close winning a GS? No, because they're still young, and they have a bunch of 25, 26, 27 year olds in their primes winning all the important titles. The problem in the WTA is that we don't have those 25, 26, 27 year olds. We blame the youngsters but it's not their fault that Ivanovic and Kuznetsova have become irrelevant. They are actually better ranked, have better results and even win GS, but still get all the criticism.
So if we're gonna bash a generation, let's bash the one that came right after the "Golden" one but failed to fill its gap. But even so I realize it'd be an unfair thing to do, because filling that gap is not easy for any generation.

To answer the question, there's a Big 1, followed by a Big 2, followed by the rest of the field led by Li and Radwanska.
Coconut91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #96
country flag Sgt.Timmykinz

Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute

I told you! What did I tell you? Didn't I tell you? 'Cause I told you! MmmHmm! And when did I tell you? A long time ago! And what did I say what happened when I told you? Exactly what just happened!

Big 2!!!
Sgt.Timmykinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #97
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
You're too predictable, you need new material.
Seriously ... we all know what exactly is being implied by saying Big 2.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #98
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

It's the big 3, led by Serena who's a combined career 22-4 wins against #2 & #3, enuff said! Vika has stepped up a little bit as shown today, now it's Maria's turn to at least make it competitive even if she can't win
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #99
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

I feel Maria needs to defend at RG to stay in the big 3 group. And even with Vika winning today Big 2 is still not totally there with the H2H and stuff, still a big step for her.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #100
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that right now Serena and Vika are clearly one level above the rest of the Top 5 players, and Sharapova seems to be losing ground. I hope though that she will catch up with them soon, the same of Petra and Li. I want the WTA to be as competitive as possible.
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote