Tennis Forum banner

Goddess in training: Despina Papamichail

63K views 741 replies 15 participants last post by  hellas719 
#1 ·
Forget the fact that Despina Papamichail is the next Daniilidou. Shes gonna be better. She just turned 15 in February, and already she has a WTA ranking of 1000. Her career high is 990. She is the number 7 ranked junior in the u16 division in Europe, and remember she JUST turned 15! She is 4-3 in her WTA career. She only played 3 tournaments in her life. She reached the QFs in Porto Rafti 10k, the 2nd round in Goudi 10k, and the 2nd qualifying round in Patras 50k, where she lost to the top seed. Also, she kind of looks like Justine Henin, when Henin had the reddish-brownish hair.

#2 ·
Re: Despina Papamichail

Looks like Henin? Poor girl :lol: Sorry my friend but there is only one Eleni Daniilidou in the world and she's not only a very talented player and fun to watch but also one of the most gorgeous female players on the tour. So no way there ever gonna be a new Daniilidou :)

#3 ·

Wow! Despina is the 4th youngest player to hold a WTA ranking.

#4 ·

Wow! Despina is the 4th youngest player to hold a WTA ranking.
That's great but it doesn't mean that she'll do great in the future. If she stays injury free she has a chance. Many very promising youngsters play below expectations once they compete in wta/atp tournaments. I wish your compatriot all the best but Eleni is Eleni and she's the one we are focused on :)

#5 ·

She is now in the final of a junior tournament in Greece. She will face Eleni Kordolaimi. In her semifinal, she won 6-1, 5-7, 6-2.

#6 ·

She won the Panthessaliko junior cup:bounce:
6-4, 6-1 in the final.

#7 ·

She has lately been having more success in the juniors circuit. She is now number 5 in the tennis europe u-16 ranks.

#9 ·

She should. I dont think she plays well on clay. W/Greeks, clay court talent is a toss-up. She may end up in the USA. I think that she may go to France for some reason.

#12 ·

She should. I dont think she plays well on clay. W/Greeks, clay court talent is a toss-up. She may end up in the USA. I think that she may go to France for some reason.
i am with u...thats why i mentioned that she needs to get to an academy abroad...yes she is a talented young girl but she needs to make her next move now!!!despina if u r reading this think what u want...move from greece...look at sharapova!!!she moved to the us and more specific to one of the best tennis academy and look where she is now!!!

but the problem is that in greece parents dont really want their kids to move from home...another thing is that everyone is thinking about university and how to get a place in one of them...so after a certain age they dont care about sports etc...(hope u know what i mean).
she is very talented (despoina) and her ranking says a lot....so if she really want to do something with her talent then she better move now...while she is still young!!!it will be for the best

#10 ·

Despina qualified for 10k Volos. Now, she is #3 in the U16 ranks.

#13 ·

She lost in R1 of Thessaloniki 10k tgo (1)Meddens 62 60. I thought she would do better. Maybe shes just not a clay court player, like Lena.

#15 ·

Despina qualified for the U16 Masters, and is the 4th seed. Eleni Kordolaimi, and Irini Papageorgiou also qualified.

#16 ·
Re: Goddess in the making:Despina Papamichail

In 10k El Menzah,Tunisia, Despina is in singles MD. She will play against Austria's Stephanie Hirsch in R32.

#17 ·
Re: Goddess in the making: Despina Papamichail

Despina won!6-2 6-0! Great win. She will play against (7)Goncalves of France in R16. Pame, Despina!!!!!!

#18 ·

Despina won!!!62 06 62!!!!!!!!!:bounce::bounce:. She will play agianst the 4th seeded Amanda Carreras of Great Britain in the Qf's. Pame!:bounce::bounce:

#20 ·

Uggh! (4)Carreras d. Papamichail 6-2 7-5:sad:. Good try though. At least you made QF :shrug:.

#21 ·

Despina ends the year at #3 in the U16 rankings, which is great for a 15 year old that will return to that circuit next season. She is a very nice, high-spirited girl based on the interviews of her that I saw.
The 1st interview was at $50.000 Patras Cup 2008 in March/April. The interview can be found here: http://tennisnews.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=46&Itemid=117
The 2nd interview was at Athens $100.000+H in September and the link is as follows: http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1842749359/bctid1842856707

-Basically, she is saying in interview#1, that she won her QR1 match against another Greek, Simona Syleouni. She struggled a little bit, but played good overall. Now she will see who she will play in the next round, and it might be Biljana Pavlova, who she beat a few weeks eralier at 10k Porto Rafti. The writing on her hand was put by her friend, after she won the Preveza junior cup. In the second interview, she is talking about how she lost in QR1 to Veronika Kapshay of Ukraine, a very talented player, and how she tried her best, but just couldn't win. She also talks a little bit about how great it is to have such a big tournament in Greece.

#22 ·

Despoina's rank jumped up this week from 1017 to 952!

#24 ·

Despina today sent me a birthda message :)
Cool! You know her personally?

#30 ·

Wow! I just realized it, and Despina should stop playing U16 Europe tournaments. She is only 15 and is ranked #3 there. She should play more ITF juniors. She won her last 2 singles tournaments and her last 2 doubles tournaments on the ITF junior circuit. She hasn't lost a set on that circuit in her 4 titles. She is ranked 584 there and only has 3 tourneys in her ranking. The other tourney was in Greece and she lost in R1 of singles and doubles, probably because of nerves. She needs to a big step to the next level. I think if she dedicates herself to the ITF juniors, she could play a slam next year.

#31 ·

Pics of Despina:

#32 ·

Despina is playing in a G4 this week in Stockholm, Sweden. Here is the link to the thread:
http://tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=364895
Eleni Konstantinidou is also there, so maybe they will play doubles together:shrug:.

#34 ·

She plays R32 against Brenda Njuki of Sweden. It should be an easy win for Despina, but you never know. Doubles draw hasn't been released yet.

#35 ·

She lost in R32 61 61:eek::sad:. Wtf could've gone wrong?

Anyways, she plays R16 doubles with Eleni Konstantinidou GRE, against the 3rd seeds from Great Britain, Ren/Ren. Pame Despina/Eleni!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.