Tennis Forum banner

Meng Yuan cheering thread!

59K views 2K replies 67 participants last post by  QINWEN-GOAT 
#1 ·
Let's show some support for Meng, who's doing a pretty good job in Europe currently! :bounce:

#2 ·
Yeh, she's played really well in the ITF Italy clay court season this spring... She's mid 250's after a good end of 2004/start of 2005 in Australia too, hope she consolidates :D

#3 ·
Meng's up to 232 now :)

#6 ·
Never mind at Gorizia, she's still had an impressive streak of results. Keep progressing Meng! :banana:

#7 ·
Meng, who doesn't rely on the CTA, does whatever she wants, funds her own journeys abroad and is not taking part in the National Games (I believe, correct me if i'm wrong ;)), just won the Beijing 50k today, beating Vilmarie Castelvie 4-6 6-4 6-4 :woohoo: So glad she has started getting the good results after a promising journey to Italy in the summer months. She has now broken into the top200, around 188 after winning this tourney, and is now well above Xie Yan-Ze and Liu Nan-Nan, who were so far ahead of her at the beginning of this year :bounce: Go Meng!

#9 ·
I love that she's independent!!! That's great! I always wondered why she was over in Italy when all the other Chinese players were in other places. Hope she continues to climb in the rankings!!! And continues to play her own schedule!

Is she just wealthy? How does she afford it on her own?

#11 ·
danker said:
Yeah, I'd assume her parents must be wealthy. I remember reading Adji's ITF Jakarta report when he mentioned that her parents were with her. :)
No, her parents are not wealthy at all. She was born in a poor family in the countryside. She was once in a province team in her early teens, but was
expelled because of stealing. She stayed at home without playing tennis for a few years until a kind-hearted old man discovered her talent and offered to imburse her.

#13 ·
Pierre Montagne said:
No, her parents are not wealthy at all. She was born in a poor family in the countryside. She was once in a province team in her early teens, but was
expelled because of stealing. She stayed at home without playing tennis for a few years until a kind-hearted old man discovered her talent and offered to imburse her.
I just assumed she was rich because both her parents accompanied her to tournaments. :confused:

Stealing?! :eek: Perhaps it was a blessing disguise otherwise she wouldn't be able to travel as much as she is right now.

Do you know who's coaching her? She's made huge progress the last couple of years. :eek:

BTW, which province does she come from? :confused:

#14 ·
danker said:
I just assumed she was rich because both her parents accompanied her to tournaments. :confused:

Stealing?! :eek: Perhaps it was a blessing disguise otherwise she wouldn't be able to travel as much as she is right now.

Do you know who's coaching her? She's made huge progress the last couple of years. :eek:

BTW, which province does she come from? :confused:
The two person(Fu and Yu) who assumed her aren't her parents, they are her coaches. In fact, they aren't a couple, and aren't professional coaches, one of them is an engineer, the other is a teacher (both of them retired). It's so amazing that this unusual team can do such good. :worship:

Yes, she stole a barrette in a shop when she was 13, just like Jennifer :sad:
After a dark time, She met two kind person, Fu and Yu, and made big progress to go on an absolute professional tennis way. (don't like other players in China).

BTW, She's from Hunan Province (same as Li Fang and Peng Shuai)

#15 ·
Wow, that's an amazing story. Hats off to Team Yuan. :D

I wouldn't compare Meng's situation to Jennifer though, as they were at different financial situations and Jennifer was older. ;)

How did she meet Yu and Fu btw? I'm interested to know why and how they offered to help her. If they are not a couple, why are they together in this? :confused:

BTW, do you know what's happened to Li Fang? I heard she married an American coach. :confused:

#20 ·
danker said:
Wow, that's an amazing story. Hats off to Team Yuan. :D

I wouldn't compare Meng's situation to Jennifer though, as they were at different financial situations and Jennifer was older. ;)

How did she meet Yu and Fu btw? I'm interested to know why and how they offered to help her. If they are not a couple, why are they together in this? :confused:

BTW, do you know what's happened to Li Fang? I heard she married an American coach. :confused:

I heard that Fang Li married with her coach, Zhang, who was also a Chinese National team member(I can not remember his name.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.