Tennis Forum banner

Czech Republic wins Hopman Cup, Fed Cup, and Davis Cup in 2012

5K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  paulmara 
#1 ·
Has anyone else done this? Triple crown of itf competitions :worship:

#5 ·
Czechs won Hopman Cup, Fed Cup, and Davis Cup this year. First country to do so all in one year.

USA, Australia, South Africa, Czechoslovakia, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Italy, Czech Republic are all countries to have won Fed Cup and Davis Cup.

USA, Australia, and Czech Republic are the only 3 nations to have won both Fed Cup and Davis Cup in same year. USA completed this 7 times, Australia did it 3 times, and Czech once.

Years where same country won Fed Cup and Davis Cup:
1963 (USA), 1964 (Australia), 1965 (Australia), 1969 (USA), 1973 (Australia), 1978 (USA), 1979 (USA), 1981 (USA), 1982 (USA), 1990 (USA), 2012 (Czech Republic).

#14 ·
It's aready very popular. Acc. to the CEO of the Czech tennis federation, there are now more registered tennis players than ice-hockey players.

So on these terms, tennis is basically the No.2 sport in the country after football, just ahead of ice-hockey, which is also very popular.

Basically every small Czech city has tennis courts, now also including air domes. So the infrastructure is already very good.

But what's really interesting is that while the past greats like Navratilova, Mandlikova, Sukova etc. were usually produced by the Prague region, since 1990s the real epicenter has been in Moravia (east CZ), with Hingis, Novotna, Berdych, Kvitova and today's hero Stepanek all developing their tennis skills in this region and at the very same tennis club.

Just my two cents. :p

#8 ·
Great achievement, the first time one country wins all those three Cups. And even greater is that that treble was won by a relatively small country. Czechs have done great job, related to population, they must be one of the countries that produces most great players. Congrats to Czechs, I'm so happy for them!

Btw, in the Stepanek-Almagro match I realized a match needs a Czech and a Spaniard to be really exciting, I was feeling quite the same as during the Rosol-Nadal Wimbledon match. WTA has great Czechs but not great Spaniards, that's the only reason why I prefer ATP. Hopefully Spain will produce a great female player, then I'll like WTA as much as ATP.

#10 ·
Great achievement, the first time one country wins all those three Cups. And even greater is that that treble was won by a relatively small country. Czechs have done great job, related to population, they must be one of the countries that produces most great players. Congrats to Czechs, I'm so happy for them!

Btw, in the Stepanek-Almagro match I realized a match needs a Czech and a Spaniard to be really exciting, I was feeling quite the same as during the Rosol-Nadal Wimbledon match. WTA has great Czechs but not great Spaniards, that's the only reason why I prefer ATP. Hopefully Spain will produce a great female player, then I'll like WTA as much as ATP.
Erm really? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.