Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

390K views 6K replies 244 participants last post by  tejmeglekvár 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#2,179 ·
^ Good article. I love this part:

"I've been very fortunate to have won all the grand slams, and if I could win Wimbledon again, it would be a dream for me. That's certainly something which I think of a lot when I'm training and I have to push myself. When I'm working hard, I'm thinking of that beautiful plate. It's definitely something that I have wished to hold again for many years."

That is a dream for me as a tennis fan, as a Maria fan too. I just really really really want that to happen. I want to see Maria's reaction after the championship point. Of course she would just fall into her knees again, but seeing her do that again at Wimbledon would be very special.

#2,180 ·
That is a dream for me as a tennis fan, as a Maria fan too. I just really really really want that to happen. I want to see Maria's reaction after the championship point. Of course she would just fall into her knees again, but seeing her do that again at Wimbledon would be very special.
Same here. Especially since Wimbledon is the only GS I didn't see her win live.

#2,183 ·
I thought it was a really interesting article....revealing more about Maria than usual. Personality wise....I cut her all the slack she wants.....when you have the double thing of being a top tennis player, and somewhere in the top of the most beautiful women category-----a variety of reactions are necessary to have ready, to maintain sanity.

I did not mind too much what she said about Maria's legs...."rippling powerhouses" to some might be "chunky" to others....in Maria's case, we have seen her with thinner legs.....the more I see this week, the more I like the rippling powerhouses...call them whatever...they remain spectacular.

#2,182 ·
Maria Sharapova

Like Williams, Maria Sharapova, the fourth seed here, had some health issues at the French Open, losing to 13th-seeded Lucie Safarova in the fourth round, her earliest exit there since a third-round departure in 2010.

Afterward, she told media members she went to California to "run some tests." Was that an indication of something more serious than a bad cold or flu?

"It took a little while for me to really refresh and recover and, yeah, give myself just a chance to feel good again and get back to work," she said.

But that was as much as she would reveal.

"It's not something that I like to talk about because I never like to set up an excuse for anything that I do," Sharapova said. "I was going through it and I was trying to kind of battle every symptom that I had for a week or so during the French Open, and a few days before. Once I got healthy and kind of got the green light to just start training, that was my goal.

"It was great to be able to be on the court and not have to cough or blow my nose a hundred times and all those things. It's kind of annoying when you're just trying to become a great tennis player."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13158791/serena-williams-says-to-lose-wimbledon

#2,185 ·
Back to work for in-form Sharapova

Saturday 27 June 2015
By Matt Trollope

After a spell of illness, the No.4 seed is back in shape and ready for her 13th appearance at The Championships.

Maria Sharapova radiated health and vitality as she faced the media on Saturday ahead of her 13th Wimbledon campaign.

Fresh from an ESPN shoot, she looked relaxed, exchanging banter with the media as she took her seat.

Just a few weeks ago, it was a far different story.

“I was hoping I could play a warm-up tournament leading up to [Wimbledon]. But due to the circumstances, the way I was feeling, actually I had to go back home and do some tests, run through all that,” she revealed.

“It took a little while for me to really refresh and recover and give myself just a chance to feel good again and get back to work. I planned on going to Florida. But then I needed to do a few things back in California for my health.”

Tennis fans will remember Sharapova’s sickly run through the Roland Garros draw last month, which ended in the fourth round at the hands of Lucie Safarova.

But having been given the green light to prepare for the tournament that catapulted her to stardom when she won it as a teen back in 2004, she has forged ahead.

“It was great to be able to be on the court and not have to cough or blow my nose a hundred times and all those things,” she said.

“It's been a really good 10 days. To finally have that energy, I think that's quite important as an athlete. Despite not playing an event, I've played a few practice matches, played a practice match in Eastbourne. It's been going well so far.”

Many thought that the floodgates would open for Sharapova at Wimbledon following her first title on the lawns of the All England Club. Yet as she scored success at all the other majors around the world – New York in 2006, Melbourne in 2008 and Paris in 2012 and 2014 – another victory in SW19 has proven elusive.

Not that Sharapova is bemoaning her relative lack of success here since then.

In fact, she arrives at The Championships nowadays with a different outlook to when she was a teenager, mostly due to a career-threatening shoulder injury seven years ago, which took a mammoth rehabilitative and mental effort to overcome.

"To still be competing at Wimbledon all these years later – and having held aloft the trophy – is nothing but a blessing.

“I understand or I see things a little bit differently [since] 2008 than I saw it before as far as my expectations and the reality, I guess how I feel after tough matches or losing,” she said.

“I think when you're out of the game for a while, you're really given that chance to think how fortunate you are when you feel that you just had a bad practice, and actually it's great to just have a bad practice, whereas I was not practicing at all.”

Thankfully, the practice this year coming into Wimbledon has been of the better variety, and it is form she hopes to continue against soaring Brit Johanna Konta in round one. Konta, a quarter-finalist in Nottingham and Eastbourne and who has won six of her past nine grass court matches, presents as a tough prospect for the Russian.

We never played against each other before. That's always tricky in the first round of a Grand Slam,” Sharapova said. “Saw a couple of her matches in Eastbourne last week where she had a good result in between my practices. That was good to have a little bit of a look at her game, see how she plays.”

Yet it is physical health, rather than Konta, that is primarily occupying the No.4 seed’s mind.

And with a forgettable French Open behind her, a more favourable fortnight at Wimbledon is taking shape.

“Once I got healthy and kind of got the green light to just start training, that was my goal,” she said.

“Going through that, it's been a great last couple of weeks.”

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2015-06-27/back_to_work_for_inform_sharapova.html

#2,186 ·
WIMBLEDON

June 27, 2015

Maria Sharapova

LONDON, ENGLAND

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You look photo‑shoot ready.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I just did a whole ESPN thing. I apologize.

Q. I know you don't do that for us.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, why? I love to look good for you guys (laughter).
I got my hair curled and everything.

Q. How are you feeling with the grass season? How does it feel to have more time for here?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, well, it was a little bit of a different situation. I was hoping I could play a warmup tournament leading up to this. But due to the circumstances, the way I was feeling, actually I had to go back home and do some tests, run through all that.
It took a little while for me to really refresh and recover and, yeah, give myself just a chance to feel good again and get back to work.
I planned on going to Florida. But then I needed to do a few things back in California for my health.
Then just came here as soon as I got the green light to start the training. It's been a really good 10 days. To finally have that energy, I think that's quite important as an athlete.
But, yeah, despite not playing an event, I've played a few practice matches, played a practice match in Eastbourne. It's been going well so far.

Q. What was going on with your health?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think you guys saw how I was. I'm much better now, thankfully.

Q. Was it more serious than you may have led on? You're careful to talk about your health in Paris. Going home and taking tests sounds serious.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's not something that I like to talk about because I never like to set up an excuse for anything that I do.
I was going through it and I was trying to kind of battle every symptom that I had for a week or so during the French Open, and a few days before. Once I got healthy and kind of got the green light to just start training, that was my goal.
It was great to be able to be on the court and not have to cough or blow my nose a hundred times and all those things. It's kind of annoying when you're just trying to become a great tennis player.
Going through that, it's been a great last couple of weeks.

Q. You play a girl now called Jo Konta. What do you know about her?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: We never played against each other before. That's always tricky in the first round of a Grand Slam. A British wild card. Saw a couple of her matches in Eastbourne, was it, last week where she had a good result in between my practices. That was good to have a little bit of a look at her game, see how she plays.
Ultimately, that's not extremely important, as you just want to go out and try to figure out things from your end as fast as you can.

Q. How much is the experience starting Wimbledon without the best preparation you wanted to?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You have to. Because I think health always comes first, you have to make decisions based on that.
Wimbledon is extremely important for any tennis player. But not as important as your body and the way you feel, the way that you need to be when you wake up in the morning to train, to compete at the best level here.
So putting all those things aside, I had to make the decision that was best for me.

Q. Knowing as you do what it takes to win all four majors, what are your thoughts on Serena having won the first two, and now coming to Wimbledon, perhaps coming to the US Open with a chance, at her age, with her game at this level, to do something we almost never see all in one year?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, absolutely. She's certainly the player to beat. With all the confidence in the world having won the last three majors, not just the two in this year. I think those results speak for herself, and she's certainly the one to beat.

Q. What is most remarkable to you about the level of her game at this age and this sustained?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it always comes down to consistency. It's such a fine line. It's one thing to do it at one event or two events, but in order to have that level to be able to do it consistently I think is pretty incredible.

Q. I know you said this year you were aiming for a lead‑up tournament. Typically you don't play one. What is the rationale for that preparation for Wimbledon? How do you try to get match practice on a surface that's so different straight after the French?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, because I lost earlier this year, and you had the extra week, so it just gives you another week to have, I guess, a tournament if you're able to. So that's the rationality behind it.
Whereas the years before, it was only two weeks, and I was in the final of the French Open. It just, I mean, didn't make much sense.

Q. How do you get the preparation? How do you typically prepare?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Train, play matches, do as much as you can, yeah.

Q. Hitting partner?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I have a hitting partner. I've hit with some girls over the last week as well.

Q. Do you see your career as a pre‑2008 shoulder surgery and post‑2008 shoulder surgery, do you see it as two different segments, or do you see it as a unified kind of career for yourself so far?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think mentally I do a little bit. I understand or I see things a little bit differently over 2008 than I saw it before as far as my expectations and the reality, I guess how I feel after tough matches or losing.
The perspective a little bit, I think when you're out of the game for a while, you're really given that chance to think how fortunate you are when you feel that you just had a bad practice, and actually it's great to just have a bad practice, whereas I was not practicing at all.
I think mentally from that perspective, I look at things much differently than before.

Q. In women's sport there's sometimes too much emphasis on beauty when it comes to promoting women's sport. Do you think that's a good thing or do you ever think there's too much emphasis on that side and not on the other aspects of women's sport?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uhm, to be quite honest, I think it's not something that we're able to control. It's not something that we should control because our job is not that. Our job is to be professional athletes and to work our best, to become the best that we can be, raise our standards, raise our level, not anything else.
Whatever people speak about, those are words. You can either accept it or you can be bothered by it.
Still at the end of the day that's not your job. Your job is to be a professional tennis player.

Q. In terms of promoting the sport, doing photo shoots, do you ever feel that you want to put a line between it that emphasizes strength and other stuff and beauty?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's a combination of everything. I think women getting their hair done and getting their makeup done, those photo shoots are playing a different role that are so far from reality than anything else.
You're able to be in these beautiful pieces that have been worked on for hours by coutures around the world, and you're able to be in front of a camera or photographer that's world renowned. Those are just experiences. They're moments that are either fun or sometimes a little bit boring. Sometimes you just have to get through them.
But at the end of the day, they are strong, they are beautiful. That's what women all represent.

Q. Nowadays it's a lot easier for players to scout future opponents by YouTube or something else. You saw Johanna play in Eastbourne last week. Will you have your coaches watch videos for extra tactics?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't like to make things complicated. I don't think they should be more complicated than things already are.
If you're able to watch a few things, pick up some patterns, that's obviously a coach's job.
No pressure, Sven, but usually he's able to give me a videos of a few things he sees or a few patterns he wants me to see, for me to visualize or to know when I go out and practice or before the match that I already expect and I know are coming.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

#2,187 ·
Maria Sharapova interview: World No 4 still sweet on SW19

THE INDEPENDENT - SUNDAY 28 JUNE 2015

The 2004 champion tells Paul Newman that her flourishing confectionery business will take up her time when she finally retires but before that she must improve her recent poor record at Wimbledon

Maria Sharapova hopes that retirement is still a long way off but when she does finally put her rackets away she knows what will occupy most of her time. The 2004 Wimbledon champion, who faces Britain’s Jo Konta on Centre Court here today, expects that Sugarpova, the confectionery business she set up four years ago, “will be my main job” when she swaps tennis dresses for business suits.

The 28-year-old Russian has been the highest-earning sportswoman in the world for 10 years now – the latest Forbes list of the world’s top earners estimated her annual income at $24.4m (about £15.5m) – and has a number of deals outside tennis, but has decided that she wants to focus her future business activity on Sugarpova.

Like a number of other leading women players Sharapova has also dipped into the fashion industry, but she no longer helps design clothes for Cole Haan, although she still has a deal with Nike. In 2011 she extended her sponsorship agreement with the company by eight years for a reported $70m (£44.5m).

The world No 4 still has endorsement deals with a number of high-profile companies – Nike, Head, Evian, Tag-Heuer, Samsung, Porsche, Avon and Supergoop – but Sugarpova is the business on which she expends most of her creative business energy. It is very much her own project. She spent an initial $500,000 (about £318,000) of her own money setting up Sugarpova – the name was suggested by Jeff Rubin, a business insider – and the company has been a huge success.

To date the business has sold more than five million bags of sweets in 30 countries. Japan, the United States, South Korea, France, Canada and Russia are the most successful markets. It is hoped that a pop-up shop in Wimbledon will help to boost sales in Britain.

Between tennis tournaments the business takes up a lot of Sharapova’s time. “I usually like to be the creative initiator in the brand,” she said. “I think of concepts and I bring them to the team and let them execute it – whether it’s a pop-up shop, whether it’s about a new candy we’re developing or a new graphic. So things like that I’m always brain-storming and that’s always in the works.

“As far as the days I’m able to give to my sponsors, I don’t do much for Sugarpova in terms of photo-shoots and things. My sponsors definitely take more time for that. But in terms of the business side, that’s Sugarpova’s time.”

How much time does she spend on business during tournaments? “Not much. My whole team at Sugarpova are very good and usually don’t send me any emails. They do the work for those two weeks and then after the tournament I get loaded up with work. That’s usually the time I have off, so during the Grand Slams I usually keep it very quiet.

“But I’m always thinking of concepts and ideas based on what we have. I do work on that and I write a lot in my notebook, but I’m not going back and forth with my current business.”

While Sharapova hopes that her business will eventually branch into fashion, she does not envisage being able to spend much more time on Sugarpova for a good while yet. “I feel like it’s a long way away,” she said when asked if she had thought about retirement.

When she does eventually quit, what does she think will be the deciding factor? “I’m not sure. I don’t know. Maybe I’ll find out. But I don’t think it will be because I don’t want to play any more. I hope not.”

For the moment Sharapova’s focus is her 13th consecutive Wimbledon. While she is always regarded as a major contender here, her recent record has not been particularly impressive. Since 2006 she has gone beyond the fourth round only once, when she lost to Petra Kvitova in the 2011 final.

In recent years Sharapova has enjoyed more success at the French Open, having won the title there in 2012 and last year and finished runner-up in 2013. However she lost to Lucie Safarova in the fourth round this year after suffering with a cough and cold throughout the tournament.

Sharapova had hoped to play a warm-up tournament on grass before Wimbledon but instead returned to California to have tests because she had been so concerned about her health in Paris.

“It took a little while for me to really refresh and recover and give myself just a chance to feel good again and get back to work,” she said. “I needed to do a few things back in California for my health. I came here as soon as I got the green light to start the training. It’s been a really good 10 days.”

She added: “It was great to be able to be on the court and not have to cough or blow my nose a hundred times.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-world-no-4-still-sweet-on-sw19-10351379.html

#2,188 ·
Maria Sharapova, March 2002

Maria Sharapova, Target Cup, Key Biscayne, Florida March 2002

This featured photo is actually a series of three photos I shot (scroll down to see the other two) of 14 year old Maria Sharapova winning the 2002 Target Cup at the Crandon Park Tennis Center on Key Biscayne, Florida. I like these shots because you can see and feel her pure joy and excitement in winning the tournament title. The win earned her a wildcard entry into the 2003 Nasdaq-100 open draw.

In 2002, the newly named Nasdaq-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Florida put on a small junior tournament—the Target Cup—during the event’s second week. It was a good idea, since by the second week the outer courts were rather quiet and it exposed the these talented junior players to a large tennis audience. The tournament invited 12 of the top boys and girls players to the event, granting byes to the top four seeds.

I had watched a few of these juniors compete during the Orange Bowl tournament the year before, and I was impressed with their level of play. I had read a few articles about a young Bollettieri Academy junior named Maria Sharapova, but had never seen her play in person. Just a few weeks earlier, Maria had played her first WTA tour event in Indian Wells (as a wildcard), winning her first round match before falling to Monica Seles in the second round.

The first time I saw Maria was on an outer practice court, where she was hitting with a few of the other juniors. Watching her practice, I was immediately impressed with both her power and intensity. For a junior, she had a fairly large entourage and it was clear that her team believed that Maria was something special.

Maria was granted the (4) seed in the tournament [ behind (1) Gisella Dulko, (2) Ashley Harkleroad, (3) Bethanie Mattek] and given a bye in the first round.

In the quarterfinals, Maria defeated Tatiana Golovin 7-5, 6-3 after being down 0-4 in the first set and 0-3 in the second. It was the first time I witnessed Maria’s incredible fight, determination and shot making ability. I had never seen a junior player (and not many pros) with such grit, combined with an uncanny ability to hit the big shot in the big moments. In the semifinals Maria defeated Ashley Harkleroad, who was touted as America’s next great rising star, 6-1, 6-4.

A small, but enthusiastic crowd, watched the girl’s final on an outer show court featuring Maria vs. (1) seed Gisela Dulko. The action was riveting, as the pair split the first two sets—with both sets going to tie breakers. In the end, Maria’s sheer determination and will carried her to the title, 7-6(4), 6-7(1),7-5. I captured her reaction to the win in these three featured images. She was so excited and the win seemed to mean so much to her. It was very apparent how fierce a competitor she was, and equally easy to see the potential future star power of Maria.​

link

#2,190 ·
Maria Sharapova speaks to the media following her 6-2, 6-2 win over Britain's Johanna Konta.
Q. How do you assess your first game back at Wimbledon?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I was quite pleased with the way things went today. It was my first competitive match in about four weeks, so I just wanted to start off really strong, not knowing much about my opponent, just the results she had last week. So coming in without any proper grass court matches, I just wanted to take care of business, and I thought I did a good job of that today.

Q. Is there a special mindset when you start a tournament like this without playing before? Something you say before the match to avoid feeling nervous

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I try to make things not complicated, try to focus on one, two, three things that will help me get back on track if things aren't working well or I feel my concentration is a little off, which can happen, in a situation like the first round at Wimbledon.

Q. Were you concerned playing a British player the crowd might be against you?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think that's absolutely normal and expected. Obviously she has the home crowd behind her.

But it's really about just focusing on yourself and what you have to do and try to win as many points, and especially the last one.

Q. What did you make of Jo as an opponent?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, actually she was a solid opponent. Really had to work for my points. I thought she could serve really well. Probably one of the reasons she did well last week, she serves quite low on grass. A big advantage. She served second serves very fast, I believe mid 90s. Pretty great second serve.

I felt quite well on the return. I felt that really helped me get in the point and get the first shot playing.

Q. Had you seen her play at all before today?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Just a little bit last week at Eastbourne.

Q. On the tele?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yes.

Q. Physically did you feel your energy was back at the usual level?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. I mean, I've had a really good last couple of weeks now of practice. Of course, in the match situation like that, it's always different, especially when you haven't competed in a few weeks. That's absolutely normal. But I felt quite well.

Q. When you were in the press conference here the other day, you acknowledged that Serena is, in your perception, the player to beat. How would you describe the depth of the field right now, the strength of the women's tour in general, and how many players do you think do have a legitimate shot to contend for a major title?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think many do. I really think anything is possible. That's why we play the matches. There can be favorites. There can be players you look out for, players you believe have a greater chance than others. There's some really tough first‑round opponents, second‑round opponents, players that maybe have experience, have had good wins, but maybe not consistently.

I know when some players go out and play against top players, they have the feeling of nothing to lose, they can play one of their best matches.

You can't get too comfortable no matter what match you're playing. You always have to work for every single point and keep your focus as much as you can.

Q. Do you still get the same kind of buzz?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's so special. Even if I hadn't won this event, I think for any tennis player growing up, this is a dream come true to be out on Centre Court. No matter how much you try to focus and just be in the zone, in the moment, try to block everything away, it's that uniqueness, and the aura around it, it's incredible.

Q. You still get it after all these years?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Absolutely.

Q. As you know, the temperatures this week are expected to be quite high, 35, 36 on Wednesday and Thursday. The heat rule, only the female players can call upon that. Do you think that's a bit unfair on the male players?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't actually know the exact rules.

Q. The female players can call and stop for a 10‑minute break between the second and third sets. That's not available for the male players. Do you think that's a bit unfair, sexist at all?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: What is the last word you used?

Q. Do you think it's sexist?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Oh, goodness. That's really an appropriate word in a press conference.

No, I think if it's something that they're concerned about it, they can reevaluate. If it does get quite hot for us, we're able to use it, then why not?

Q. On the men's side, Lleyton Hewitt just was defeated. Supposedly his last match here. He had grit, was a fighter. Did you have any thoughts about Lleyton over the years and that fighting spirit, did that resonate?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I think having the spirit of a champion, as he's had, to be able to still be here after so many years, you know, compete and work, I know he works extremely hard, as everyone does, to try to be at the highest level. We all have to admire that effort. It doesn't come very easy. He has been doing that for years day in, day out.

He was never the strongest or the tallest, but he had so many other qualities that got him through. I think that's really impressive.

Q. Is one of those qualities an inner quality to battle and fight?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Absolutely. I think when you think of players that know how to battle, he's probably on top of the list.

Q. What is your absolute favorite thing about being here at Wimbledon, being able to play?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Being able to play? I mean, there's a lot. I guess being part of its history is very special when you look back. When you're walking down the stairs, you see both the women's trophy and the men's trophy, you think about how many incredible players have held those. You're given a chance to walk out on Centre Court and experience the nerves, the butterflies, go out with no introductions and hit the first serve or the first return, you just play tennis. I think that's what it all comes down to at Wimbledon.

Q. Do you still reflect on the moment when you won here as a teen?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Absolutely. I think every time you come to a place that's memorable in your life and in your career, you always think about it, especially when you get a chance to play out on that court.

Q. Do you really like that thing about not being introduced when you walk on?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I do. It's so unique and so different. When you think of the US Open, that's really what it's about, the music, those introductions, this and that. And that's great and that's special.

But to have that bit of a quiet moment, the five minutes of warming up without anything, I think that's also special in its own way.

Q. Is there anything you particularly enjoy about staying in Wimbledon Village during the tournament?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I like staying in a home. We're always in hotel rooms. I love the aspect of just being able to stay home, you know, have team dinners, have a garden. Seems simple and quiet. I prefer that, so... It's a nice experience.

#2,191 ·
#2,192 ·
THE TELEGRAPH

Interview by Nick McGrath - 30 June 2015

Maria Sharapova's Travelling Life

Maria Sharapova, the three-time grand slam tennis champion, on learning to play tennis in Russia, deep-fried cat meat in China and the world's most serene place

How often do you travel?

I travel every month, and spend a lot of time on planes, between countries, for my tournament schedule. In the last three months I’ve been to Paris, Rome and Stuttgart for the Porsche Grand Prix, as well as Florida and now I’m in England for Wimbledon, but this is a typical summer tennis tour for me.

What do you need for a perfect holiday?

I love to vacation where there is a beach to best clear my head. My favourite beach in the world is in Longo Key in Florida near my home. It’s just a few minutes' walk from my house and to this day it is the quietest, most serene place in the world, where I can release all of my energy. Privacy is also essential to me on a holiday, as are a good glass of sangria and great company.

Florida travel guide

How do you most like to spend your time on holiday?

I’m most excited to experience different cultures - local customs, cuisine, and more. If I am in a big city, I try to see and do everything possible as much as I can. I usually gather recommendations from friends and magazines, which I keep note of in my journal, and when I arrive in a city, I try to visit some of those places.

The most beautiful place you’ve competed in?

Being in Paris over three weeks for the French Open is always very special. Even though I don't get to explore the city because I'm training and competing, I try to go to a different part of it and find a new restaurant or a new boutique I have never been to before each time I’m there. Every country I play tennis in is very unique in its own way, but I always feel like I'm in unknown territory whenever I'm in Japan. It takes me out of my comfort zone, as if I am on some adventure and I discover a new place every time I visit. 

Paris travel guide

Most memorable destination for playing tennis in?

During the most recent Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, I was asked to carry in the torch. While I was there, I was able to revisit (and reopen) the tennis courts where I first learned to play tennis as a young girl. Sochi is a beautiful place and it meant so much to me to have shared my home country with the world during the games.

Are you able to switch off during your travels?

I usually use my time on a plane to catch up on different projects I’m doing with Porsche and other brands - to brainstorm and gain inspiration for future business goals. Even on vacation, I try to stay disciplined and don’t take more than a day off at a time from training. Whenever I’m travelling, it’s important for me to be in beautiful surroundings so that I can run along a beach or take advantage of a picturesque setting while training.

Most romantic place you’ve been?

The Amanwana resort in Indonesia. I took a sea plane to this small island, stayed in these luxury tents, with monkeys and deer greeting us every morning. Going for swims at sunset in the ocean was magical.

Which country has given you the biggest culture shock?

I’ve been travelling extensively for my career from a very young age, so I can’t say that any place has completely shocked me. I enjoy experiencing different cultural mannerisms and traditions, and for me, these were most evident in China. 
But languages in different countries can also be a bit of a culture shock. In some countries you hear people speak and you might think they’re angry at each other, but actually they’re having a very gentle conversation.

Or they could even be having a romantic conversation…you just don’t know. The cuisine in China can also be quite unusual and I’m actually a big foodie so I don’t mind trying local dishes. I don’t go overboard or crazy but I enjoy exploring local flavours and finding someone I know who can take me to the best local spots. I’ve heard that you can eat deep fried cat or dog there, but the furthest I got was duck.

China travel guide

Your most memorable road trip?

I recently took a road trip along the Californian coast with a friend of mine. We took my Carrera 911 through Malibu and past Santa Barbara stopping along the way to take in the beautiful cliff views and sunshine. It was only a three-day trip but we made the most out of it. 

Favourite hotel?

The Peninsula in Tokyo for the service and breakfast. 
Amangiri in Utah for the boat trips along Lake Powell and Il San Pietro in Positano for the views.

Worst travelling experience?

I’ve not had any terrible travelling experiences and I try to find the positives in every place I visit. But earlier in my career during my junior tours, I have stayed in some interesting hotels, a few of which may have been former jails. They weren’t very pleasant.

Favourite airline?

The first class on international flights on Singapore Airlines is very luxurious. 

Best piece of travel advice?

Less is more when you pack for a trip. We can manage to find most essentials wherever you are in the world so don't stress if you forget to bring a few things. The stress of making sure you have everything can be overwhelming before you’ve even begun your trip.

What do you hate about holidays?

The traffic and lack of parking spaces. My patience levels are not very high so that's always makes it difficult.

What has travelling taught you?

That there is no better way to earn a truly global perspective than to travel and playing tennis has given me that, as it's a sport that's covered worldwide, with fans from so many different cultures. Travelling shaped the way I look at the world and it makes you understand that there is so much to experience and accomplish.

Where next?

After Wimbledon, I begin prepping for the US Open in New York. Later this year in the autumn, my career will take me to several different countries including China and Singapore.

Maria Sharapova is an ambassador for Porsche. She was recently at the Porsche Centre Mayfair in London for the launch of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder, which officially arrives in showrooms in July.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/celebritytravel/11707914/Maria-Sharapovas-Travelling-Life.html

#2,196 ·
Interview by Nick McGrath - 30 June 2015

Maria Sharapova's Travelling Life

Maria Sharapova, the three-time grand slam tennis champion, on learning to play tennis in Russia, deep-fried cat meat in China and the world's most serene place
This article is an absolute treasure.......a great article if you are explaining why Maria is one of the most special women in the world.

#2,193 ·
Sharapova, like the other serious contenders that played Wednesday, didn't drop a set against Dutch qualifier Richel Hogenkamp, prevailing 6-3 6-1.

"Since he was playing on my court, I like to see what the conditions are, how the court is playing," said Sharapova, who set up a third-round meeting with 29th-seed Irina-Camelia Begu.

"I think we're quite professional in what we do," Sharapova continued. "We try to separate our match times and go about our business as we would in any other careers, respect each other very much.

"When we're out here, we're doing our job and trying to do the best we can."

As for the weather, echoing what the majority of her fellow players have said, Sharapova wasn't bothered by the heat.

"It's much warmer in my hometown of Longboat Key, Florida," she uttered.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/01/tennis/wimbledon-tennis-dimitrov-sharapova-djokovic/index.html?eref=edition&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

#2,194 ·
Maria Sharapova: second round
Maria Sharapova talks to the media following her 6-3, 6-1 victory over over Richel Hogenkamp.

Q. I suppose your Dutch coach, Sven, could tell you something about your Dutch opponent?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, look, I like to make things very simple no matter where they're from or where my coach is from. Obviously he's known her game for quite some time. Me, not so much. I think that was good.

Like I said, it's best not to overthink things. Different opponent, new court today, different conditions. I think just trying to figure that out from the beginning was more important than anything else.

Q. What is your assessment two matches into your grass season?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, I feel the match, my first‑round match compared to today, different conditions. The court played a lot slower. We had a lot longer rallies. Didn't get a huge advantage off the serve, the return. Didn't serve my best today. Made a few too many unforced errors.

Overall, once we got into the rallies, once I realized I needed to be a little more patient, then things started working a little better for me.

Q. How did you find it out there compared to other arenas where it's properly warm?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's much warmer in my hometown of Long Boat Key, Florida. There's some cloud coverage. I think I've trained quite long in the heat over there.

I think just the preparation of understanding it's going to be warm, not going for too much because you want to make the points quicker than normal because of the heat, just being a little bit smarter out there is the most important.

Q. You struggled a bit with your serve today. Can you remember serving three double‑faults in a row?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I didn't find the rhythm in a few of those games. I think the good thing, after that I regained my timing, started tossing the ball a little bit more consistently. That helped me.

Q. Have you done that before, three double‑faults in a row?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm sure, yeah.

Q. Every year the same discussion about prize money, women playing best‑of‑five. Do you think it would be a good idea to play best‑of‑five or not at Grand Slams?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, it's never really been a topic within us. We've never really been asked about playing three‑out‑of‑five. That's why it's never been further discussed.

Q. Kvitova played 35 minutes, men play four hours. Is it fair to compare or not?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm not sure. I think you do more of the comparisons than we do, so I think you're a better judge of that.

Q. A topic that's come up a few times before with you, with Grigor, playing at the same tournament together. How do you manage that side of it? He told us earlier that you and him analyze each other's matches. Does that ever extend to giving advice and tips?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think we're quite professional in what we do. We try to separate, you know, our match times and go about our business as we would in any other careers, respect each other very much. When we're out here, we're doing our job and trying to do the best we can.

Q. Did you get the chance to watch any of his match today?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I actually watch a little bit of all the matches, especially the matches beforehand, before my match. Since he was playing on my court, I like to see what the conditions are, how the court is playing. So, yeah, I don't shy away from that.

#2,197 ·
Second week beckons for vintage Sharapova

Yet to drop a set, Maria Sharapova eased past Romania's Irina-Camelia Begu.

Friday 3 July 2015 - By Ron Atkin

It has been 11 years now since that unforgettable afternoon when a 17-year-old Maria Sharapova sank to her knees in joy and disbelief at becoming a Wimbledon champion.

It is a time which, she now says, “is something I think about every time I step on to the Grounds here.” It was, she added, “An amazing experience of going through two weeks not expecting to be champion at that stage of my career. I always carry those memories with me.”

Other Grand Slam successes followed, but Sharapova, now a mature 28, has never quite managed to repeat that moment at The All England Club. Once a runner-up and twice a semi-finalist are her best efforts.

But the determination has never faltered, and when she is operating at full voice and top level, as she was for most of her third-round match against the Romanian Irina-Camelia Begu, it is not difficult to envisage a second Wimbledon falling into Sharapova’s grasp.

There were, inevitably, the occasional wobbles, which are part of the Sharapova make-up. She dropped serve in the opening game, only to pull level at once and late in the first set, from a score of 4-4, she accelerated to sweep through the next seven games on a flood-tide of winners struck cleanly and viciously.

Then came the second wobble. Serving for the match at 5-1, she was broken but the moment of victory, after one hour 23 minutes, was not delayed for much longer.

The fourth round awaits, where she fell last year to Angelique Kerber.

Sharapova has now won three rounds without yet conceding a set and has said she is confident of going the distance this time.

“I think that every time I enter a tournament. I have to be ready mentally and physically to be the champion. If I don’t have that belief in me it would be pretty tough to go through the two weeks just going through the motions. That’s not the type of player I have ever been.

“I feel I have grown in many areas of my game when I played here as a 17-year-old. I wasn’t as physically developed, I couldn’t handle the rallies at that point. But it is a really powerful feeling as a woman to feel you’re good and can be better at what you do.

“I wake up in the morning and though I have many other passions and interests, when I’m out there hitting the tennis ball it has always been a motivation. No matter how good or bad things go around me in my life I find it invigorating. I love that feeling of just getting better.”

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news...econd_week_beckons_for_vintage_sharapova.html

#2,199 ·
Wimbledon 3rd round presser

Maria Sharapova / Irina-Camelia Begu
6-4, 6-3

Q. Is everything going according to plan?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I feel like, considering I didn't play a tournament before, with each match I've had a different type of opponent on different courts, I've been handling it quite well.
Today was another match against a big server and a big hitter. On grass that can be quite dangerous. I was quite happy that I was able to win in a solid two sets.

Q. Does the court you play on matter to you?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not really. I think now it's good for me that I have been able to play on each court. So no matter where I play Monday, I'll know what to expect a little bit more.

Q. Players at this stage talk about taking matches one match at a time. How easy or difficult is that to do in reality?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's a little bit easier than getting ahead of yourself and thinking too far down the line because then you expect yourself to be in that position.
Of course, you expect to raise your level with every match, but you have to be realistic against every opponent and you can't underestimate anyone's level.
I think it's maybe just a smarter way to go about a tournament.

Q. Has that ever happened to you, you've looked ahead?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm sure, yeah. I've made my fair share of mistakes in my mind and in other ways, definitely.

Q. You have either Petkovic or Diyas next.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I know quite a bit about both. I play Diyas in Australia this year. I think that was our first meeting. I haven't played Petkovic in quite some time. But, yeah, I think she's the favorite to win that match.
Despite whoever I play, it will be a new match and a chance to get to the quarterfinals, a place where I lost last year.
I'll definitely go out there and try to change that result around.

Q. You are a fashion icon off the court. How do you like Dustin Brown's style or look?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I like individuality. I think that's the great thing about fashion. People are able to express their characters, their personalities, their spirit. I think he's done a great job with that.

Q. Did you watch the game? Did you like his performance on Centre Court?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I was playing bocci ball actually during that match. Had some competitions with my team. But I did get a chance to see the beginning of it while I was doing treatment, yeah.

Q. Since 2003, has the grass changed dramatically at all?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think you see a lot longer rallies than you did in that time. Especially out on Court 2, I felt quite a big difference than Centre Court on the first day out there.
You kind of think the conditions would be the same. But maybe because of the heat, the ball gets a little bit heavier. Definitely had much longer rallies than the first match.

Q. Does the heat bother you?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. I'm quite used to the heat. I've trained in warm conditions growing up in warm areas, so...

Q. You've been up in the top 10 now for a decade, you and a few others. Younger players come up and fall away quite quickly. Is there any reason for that? Why have you managed to stay up there so long?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think experience. It's never easy. I think consistency is one of the toughest things. You can have a good year, you can have some good tournaments where you find yourself in the top 10 or in the top 5 occasionally.
I think your expectations of your level obviously rise dramatically because you see yourself at a bigger stage, you see some results from yourself, and you expect yourself to be there on many more occasions.
When things don't go according to plan, it's obviously a little bit tough. You have to go back to the thinking board and create some new ideas and go back to what worked for you.

Q. In what ways do you think the experience of having won here fuels that desire and passion to do it again?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No doubt about that. That's certainly something that I think about every time I step onto the grounds. The memories of being a champion, the experience of going through those two weeks not expecting myself to be the champion at that stage in my career, yet holding up the plate, always carrying those memories with me every time I step on the court here.

Q. Over the past 10 years, are you much better than you used to be?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: In which ways?

Q. Do you feel much better in the past 10 years than you have?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I feel I've grown many different areas of my game. I think I was still growing at the age when I was playing here as a 16 , 17 year old. I wasn't as physically developed yet. I couldn't handle the longer rallies at that point.
My shoulder was extremely loose. I could go out from the first warmup ball and just hit a 110 mile an hour serve. I think those days are over for me. But that was a nice feeling as a young girl.
You know, I was very much in the development stage in my game, in my thinking process, in my experience.

Q. When you had the shoulder problems, what kept you going through that? Sometimes players give up.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, selfishly just a really powerful feeling as a woman to feel that you're good and you can be better at what you do.
I wake up in the morning, and although I have many other passions and interests, sometimes you're like, Oh! The alarm goes on, Do I really have to wake up for this?
When I'm out there, hitting the tennis ball has always been a motivation. No matter how good or bad things go on around me in my life, I find it invigorating. I love that feeling of just getting better.
I lost that for some time because obviously an injury takes you back to a place where you can improve and you might not ever be able to do that again.
That perspective makes things you think in the future, you think if you have the opportunity to do it again, how lucky you are, so...

Q. When you came off court, you said you absolutely believed you could win this Championship. Is that because you've done it before or because of the way you're playing and feeling right now?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think every time I enter a tournament, I have to be ready mentally and physically to be the champion of the event. If I don't have that belief in me, I think it would be pretty tough to go through the two weeks and just go out there and go through the motion. It's really not the type of player that I've ever been.

Q. How does the enjoyment compare to the run when you didn't expect it?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think obviously the feelings change in a way. But the emotions are very different. When you've had success for a long period of time and you've won Grand Slams, you expect yourself to be in that situation. When you're not, it's a little bit more disappointing.
I think going through that injury in 2008 really put a good perspective in me where I realized how grateful I am to win matches and how it's not so bad to lose matches. I think that's really helped me in the last five years since I've been injured.

Q. Serena and Venus could play each other. They started in 1998, a long time ago. How incredible they're still there?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I started my career playing on the professional tour when they were already Grand Slam champions, rivalries against each other, creating history already. Still to be playing in their generation where Serena is No. 1 in the world, has won so many amount of Grand Slams, and to still be part of that is an exciting time.

Q. How do your days off the court differ here when you're staying in a house compared to the usual?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: We get to share a home here, which is nice and not so nice. I'm surrounded by a lot of males in the house. It becomes a little challenging because we're all on different rhythms.
It's actually quite fun. We're all different characters, but we all get along nicely. We're all home bodies. We stay home and cook and enjoy our time. We have a nice garden. We play some games outdoors. Got a little bigger house this time.

Q. You said you were playing bocci last night. Are you any good at it?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Terrible, yeah. I'm not good at many other sports besides tennis. It's actually frustrating because I'm so competitive. I'm getting better. It's better than my bowling skills.

Q. It's become fashionable on the men's tour to have a former champion in your corner. Can you ever see yourself sitting in the box as a mentor or guide to a younger player?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't think so. I'll just give you an honest answer. I think it's incredible that someone is able to take their knowledge and experience and bring it to a younger generation or be a mentor to someone that has been on tour for many years. That's not something that I could see myself doing.

#2,200 ·
Wimbledon Diary: Today Wimbledon Village, tomorrow the world for Sharapova

Saturday 4 July 2015, by Mark Hodgkinson

Sharapova aiming to build on her sweet success

Take a short walk out of the All England Club, up the hill, and then along the High Street in Wimbledon Village, and you will see a pop-up sweet shop for Maria Sharapova's candy company, Sugarpova.

But selling gummy sweets is only the start of Sharapova's ambitions for Sugarpova; the former Wimbledon champion plans to turn it into "a lifestyle brand" offering clothes, perfume and other products. And the Wimbledon Diary has learned that those plans have been accelerated with Sharapova and her agent Max Eisenbud, who is also the chief executive of Sugarpova, turning to a retail consulting company in New York, Traub, to help push Sugarpova forward. According to a company blurb, 'Traub Consumer works with Fortune 500 consumer goods companies, private equity groups, brand owners, marketers and entertainment clients. It assists them in short-term growth and long-term strategic planning. The division accelerates revenue expansion by identifying market opportunities and forging global strategic partnerships'.

The Wimbledon Diary understands that Eisenbud felt as though he needed expert help with Sugarpova. Be in no doubt that Sharapova has big plans for Sugapova, with the Russian telling the Financial Times recently: "My vision is for this to become a lifestyle brand. That doesn't necessarily tie into a food product. But in order to get lifestyle recognition, I want to build the brand around candy." Eventually, she would like it to become a 'House of Sharapova' range of products.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/story/_/id/13194715/maria-sharapova-become-lifestyle-brand

#2,205 ·
Maria Sharapova: fourth round
Maria Sharapova speaks to the media following her 6-4, 6-4 win over Zarina Diyas.

Q. How much of a relief is it to get to this stage after the last few years here?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it obviously is. You know, looking back at last year's match, it was a tough three setter, a very physical match. I didn't come through.

Of course, you always think back, think what could have happened if I did manage to win a few of those points and how far I could have gone.

Obviously being back in the situation of the fourth round, I try to put all my effort to get further. As we all know, it only gets tougher here.

Q. She was a tricky opponent.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think the grass quite suits her game. She stays fairly low, has very flat strokes, especially when you give her the time. She changes direction quite well. A little bit of a different match in Australia where you have a little bit more time.

I thought, especially in the second set, she started being more aggressive. When she finds those lines on the serve, it's tough to get back.
Maria Sharapova Fourth Round Press Conference

Q. Are you feeling in the shape of being champion here again?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I think I've worked through a few different opponents, different conditions, as well, a few different courts. I put myself in different situations, yet been able to close out the matches in two sets. That's a positive in these last eight days.

Q. How does the first week of a Grand Slam compare to the second? Mentally you're obviously focusing on one match at a time.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Right.

Q. Does it change at all? Do the emotions change for you at all?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I guess having that Sunday off, in my case starting on last week's Monday, gave me a chance to have two days off is quite rare. Usually only happens here, or the US Open, or the French if you start on a Sunday.

I haven't had that in quite a while. It's about managing those couple days, then knowing if you win the match today, you've got to be ready to play tomorrow.

I've certainly been in the situation before, but you always have to make small adjustments based on how you feel, who you play, or who your next opponent is.

Q. Speaking of your next opponent, have you had a chance to think at all ahead about Coco?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, look, I think it's been a tremendous effort for her to get to this stage of the tournament. With the serve she has, her game really revolves around that serve, and she's been using it quite effectively in her previous four matches.

The return will be extremely important tomorrow, especially taking care of my service games. It's always tricky playing against a really good server on grass because a few points here and there can ultimately tell the difference in the winner and the loser.

But, yeah, I'm quite looking forward to that matchup.

Q. How difficult is playing fourth round quarterfinal back to back compared to the other slams where you usually have a day off?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's just the way it is. The situation that you have. Just the quick turnaround. Whereas you have two days off before, so you're able to rest your body if you needed it, or get some extra practice in, depending on everyone's situation, which is different.

I mean, we do it all the time during every other event. I don't think it really changes much.

Q. An interesting article appeared at the weekend about your relationship with people who join your team, sort of suggesting you don't much have personal conversations with them for several months before you sort of trust them and allow them to have those conversations with you. Can you clarify what the relationship is, what the situation is there?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Where did you read that?

Q. In The Independent on Sunday.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Interesting. I wonder who their sources are (laughter).

I'm not aware of that article. Pretty much sounds like baloney to me. Take my word for it, but I'm sure you won't (smiling).

Q. You've been having a few issues with your serve again today. Is it ball toss, anything specific at the moment?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I started with a few errors early on. But I thought as the match went on, I got a good rhythm. Had a few more aces than I usually do today.

Yeah, the conditions are not easy, especially out on Court 1. It's a bit more swirly out there. Changes quite a bit.

I think instead of going for the lines a little bit, which I sometimes tend to do, want to get a free point, maybe be a little bit smarter.

Q. I don't know if you've answered this or not, but how does having just the one day rather than the two change your routine?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I did.

Q. Sorry.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's okay.

We all have the experience of playing tournaments that are not Grand Slams where we do have to come back and do a quick turnaround. I think you just have to treat that as that.

Q. Are you a fan of the rest day on Sunday after what, I imagine, is a stressful and hectic first week?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's nice to carry on with a tradition that's been around for many, many years. It's the way it is. It obviously breaks the rhythm a little bit. But it's the same not just for me, it's the same for everyone.

#2,206 ·
A thought piece from Grantland:

The Abyss Looks Back: The Darkness and Delight of Maria Sharapova

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-abyss-looks-back-the-darkness-and-delight-of-maria-sharapova/

TENNIS
JULY 7, 2015
by BRIAN PHILLIPS

Maria Sharapova has a stare these days that has seen past the far end of midnight. She has looked into gray distance and come back changed, with a touch of gray distance in her eyes. For the most professionally glamorous player in women’s tennis — the most marketable, the best paid, the most likely to be found whirling toward a camera in mid-smolder — her on-court mien is … well, it’s grim enough that you want to use the word “mien” to describe it. She’s like someone who dies on a castle wall in Tolkien. Maria of Nyagan, who went alone to her doom though the city was already lost. The abyss has cautionary sayings about gazing into her.

In her quarterfinal match this afternoon against the 23-year-old American Coco Vandeweghe, Sharapova’s lethal bleakness was on full display. Vandeweghe, a sparkling terrier of a player who harrassed Sharapova through three tough sets on Centre Court, spent about half the match grinning. She flapped her arms for the crowd. She chortled after points. She urged herself on with a relentless, upbeat tenacity. Sharapova, meanwhile, seemed to gather herself into some grand kimono of gloom. Bouncing the ball before a serve, she glared into near space like someone about to lash out at fate itself. When she wasn’t shrieking along with her groundstrokes, she was wreathed in silence. She won 73 percent of her first-serve points and took the match, 6-3, 6-7(3), 6-2.

More 2015 Wimbledon

Adventures in Wonderlawn: Living the Surreal Life at Wimbledon
Czech Marks: The Nation That Would Conquer Women’s Tennis
Grantland Exclusive: Roger Federer Makes Deviled Eggs
The Sun Never Sets: On Roger Federer, Endings, and Wimbledon
There’s something fascinating about Sharapova right now. She’s still one of the best players in the world. She’ll move up to no. 2 after Wimbledon, in fact, regardless of what happens during the rest of the tournament. But to fans, analysts, and the zeitgeist, she’s become a weird sort of ghost. She’s radiantly famous, forever a threat, and yet — who thinks about her? And why should we, since we know she can’t beat Serena? Sharapova hasn’t won a match against the world’s best player since she was 17 years old and the glossy–magazine-ready future of women’s tennis. That’s a span of nearly 11 years, covering 16 matches. She hasn’t exactly failed to deliver on her promise; she’s won five majors, including two of the last four French Opens. She owns a career Grand Slam. But she’s been so absolutely incapable of challenging her era’s defining player that it’s easy, even natural, to treat her as an afterthought.
And so it makes sense, in a way, that she’s transformed herself into a mirthless warrior. When your main rival can always outdazzle you, what’s left to do but keep plugging away? Winning Wimbledon made her a star in 2004. These days, though, she’s virtually a clay-court specialist, and the contrast between her semimobile power-baseline game and Vandeweghe’s net-charging aggression made their quarterfinal a strange study in alternate futures. Here, if you squinted your eyes a little, was the player Sharapova might have become 11 years ago: loose, fearless, a little cocky, self-consciously delightful. Vandeweghe’s backhand sweeps through an incredible arc of space in a snapped second. “I try to have a good time out there on the court,” she’s said, “or at least fake it enough to where it looks like I’m having a good time.” But Sharapova wasn’t out to have a good time and wasn’t there to fake it. Instead, she slugged mercilessly from deep while Coco scrambled forward, trying to clip the angles of the American’s groundstrokes.

Vandeweghe put up flashier stats — 32 winners to 20, 23 attempts at net to eight — and soaked up most of the commentators’ and the crowd’s attention. But Sharapova knows how to smother a match. She converted six of 11 break points, compared to Vandeweghe’s three of 14. Her serve deserted her at times (when doesn’t it?) but came through when it counted. She stayed, if not exactly cool, then at least kind of starrily self-possessed. And during every rally, on every shot, she screamed that slasher-movie scream she has, the one where you can’t quite tell whether she’s the killer or the victim.

It’s hard for me to side with fatalistic determination over flash and fun and dazzle. I’d rather watch Nick Kyrgios, always and forever, than whatever cyborg of humility and respect for cricket Kyrgios’s critics wish he’d morph into. I’ve been thinking about confidence lately, though, about the types and stages of it, about adult confidence versus childhood confidence, about which sorts of confidence I’d like to have more of and of which I could stand to have less. The confidence of athletes often strikes me as useless in the setting of real life. It’s easy and artificial, enabled and maintained by people with a stake in maintaining it. It comes from having your life streamlined, from keeping within routines that are effective in the context of sports but infantilizing outside it.

I love watchingVandeweghe, and I’m excited to see the player she’ll become. But her confidence, I think, is a little like that — basically youthful, the product of a life in which suffering has always been stage-managed into a lesson, in which real fear has been kept carefully away. Sharapova’s confidence feels harder-won. It has uncertainty in it. That stare knows some unanswerable questions. Vandeweghe’s confidence might eventually be better on the tennis court. But in a crisis? As the basis of a life? When I see Sharapova these days, I tell myself I’m watching something deeper and stranger than tennis. She’ll play Serena next, in the semifinals. Another hopeless struggle. But no matter who she’s playing, what she’s fighting always feels bigger than she is. She keeps fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.