Tennis Forum banner

irish tennis

131K views 1K replies 65 participants last post by  AwonderfulKiwi 
#1 ·
best of luck to mariyana levova and jennifer claffey next week when they will be playing in a grade 4 junior tournament in sweden, its starting on the 8th of january 2006.

Irish no 3 rachael dillon is currently injured at the moment with an injured wrist, rachael is studying for her A levels in january. as far as i know she will be back playing fulltime about the the middle of january, so keep our fingers crossed!

best of luck also to some of our most promising juniors in ireland in 2007 who are training fulltime at the newly built national training centre at dublin city university, they are amy bowtell born in sept 1993, she currently has an european junior under 14 ranking of about 87 or 88, we also have lynsey mccullough born in march 1991, she has a european under 16 ranking, i cant remeber what her ranking is, nicola drummy and rachael daly are both at under 10 level, mariyana levova born in march 1990.

Best of luck to them all!:) :) :) :) :) :)

#209 · (Edited)
Kelly Liggan (IRL) v (13)Oksana Kalashnikova (GEO) 06 67(3) :sad: Thought she should have won this one, but at least she put up a fight in the 2nd set.

------------------------------------------------

Grade 4, Germany

Bowtell & Madill's draws. Tough draw for Emily, she has to play the 2nd seed if she wins her first round match.

Amy BOWTELL (IRL) (9) BYE
Katharina LEHNERT (GER) Vs Felicitas KASTNER (GER)

Emily MADILL (IRL) Vs Sarah-Maria RICHTER (GER)
Katharina HOLERT (GER) (2) BYE

Also good luck to Ciarán Fitzgerald playing the boys event here. :)

-----------------------------------------

Austria F1

Colin O'BRIEN (IRL) defeated Stepan KHOTULEV (RUS) 7-6(4) 6-2 :)

KING (IRL) / O'BRIEN (IRL) defeated MAYER (AUT) / RATH (AUT) 6-4 6-3 :yeah:

#210 ·
Thanks for the info, Tennis-Chick. Is there some way of getting notified when Irish players enter tournaments or do you just trawl the ITF tournament draws looking for (IRL)? :lol:

That's a pretty weak draw for a G4. Good chance to pick up some points. One of Amy's potential second round opponents has never won a match and the other is ranked 1884, so I swear to God if she doesn't make third round... :banghead:

#211 · (Edited)
Basically I just searched through all the tournaments :lol: I've been stuck in my bed for the past couple of days dying of the flu, so I've had loads of free time! :(

Challenger in Chile:

1st Round
Conor NILAND (IRL) defeated Caio ZAMPIERI (BRA) 6-3 7-5

Next up he faces world number 176, BRZEZICKI

#212 ·
#215 · (Edited)
#216 ·
Lynsey makes some funny faces during her swings. :lol: She's a really good-looking girl, though - if she ever made top 100 in tennis she'd rack up endorsements (and TennisForum fans :p) all over the place. Too bad she didn't have a more successful junior career.

Tennis Ireland says Sam Barry is through to the QF in Czech, which will push him into the top 100! :bounce:

#218 · (Edited)
John Morrissey through to the main draw of the Aussie Open, beat Vierin 6-2 6-2 :hearts:

Tennis Ireland says its the first time an Irish boy has ever got to a G1 QF, so well done Sam! :)

Colin O'Brien also through to the QFs at a futures event in Austria :D

Disappointing results from the Irish girls though in the Grade 4 in Hamburg

1st Round
Sarah-Maria RICHTER (GER) d. Emily MADILL (IRL) 61 60

2nd Round
Katharina LEHNERT (GER) d. Amy BOWTELL (IRL) (9) 61 64

#220 ·
John Morrissey plays Aussie world number 44 Alex Sanders in the 1st Round. Tough for John, playing an Aussie in his home slam, but at least he didn't get a seed. Good luck :D

The draw is up on the Australian Open website.

He is last on Court 18, which means his match probably won't start til about 3/4AM our time :sad:

----------------------------

Colin O'Brien through to the Semi-Finals in Austria :yeah:

----------------------------
At least one win for Amy in the doubles in Germany :) Through to QFs.

BARANSKA (POL) / BOWTELL (IRL) (8) defeated ALBANO (ITA) / ECCEL (ITA) 3-6 6-1 [10-6]
BREVE (NED) / RICHTER (GER) Vs CASSAR (MLT) / MADILL (IRL) (4)

#221 ·
Morrissey lost 7-5 7-6(3) :sad:

I've been on some weird sleeping routines lately and had some reading to do for college so I was up to watch the scoreboard. It was just a close as it looks - frustratingly, John went a break up on three separate occasions only for Sanders to break back quickly. Once in the first set and twice in the second. Even worse, one of these times was when John was serving for the second set at 6-5. I was sure he was gonna break through the whole time right up until Sanders raced ahead in the TB. Obviously I can't comment too much not having seen the actual match but it seems like John more than held his own. Still, it sucks that he went out all the way out to Australia for a month and didn't come back with a single point, his one doubles win aside.

#224 ·
Kelly's qualie draw at the $25k Laguna Niguel, CA

(1)Marie-Eve Pelletier (CAN) v Oksana Kalashnikova (GEO)
Dia Evtimova (BUL) v Tereza Mrdeza (CRO)

Kelly Liggan (IRL) v Nelly Radeva (USA)
(11)Leonie Mekel (NED) v Jennifer Elie (USA)

Should beat Radeva, and the Mekel probably. Tough third round for her though, will almost certainly play Pelletier.

#226 ·
Sinead Lohan playing Les Petite As :D

Great for her to be playing this tournament, it always has all the top U14 players in the world, and this year is no different with Vickery, Duval, Uberalova, Jeanjean, etc playing it. Unfortunately she has drawn Jeanjean in the first round. Good luck to her, it would be amazing if she beat Jeanjean

Draw:
http://www.lespetitsas.com/programmation/Draw_Girls%20Singles%20Main%20Draw.pdf

#227 ·
Wheres my post about Lohan playing Les Petits As, I can't see it??!

Anyway she lost to Jeanjean 64 64, a good performance from her against one of the top U14 players in the world :D

Kelly won her first qualie match, 0 & 3, but lost 6-3 4-6 7-6(4) to Elie in the 2nd round. :sad:

#228 ·
Your other post showed up fine for me, Tennis-Chick.

Poor Sinead, I thought she was gonna be one of the lowest ranked girls in the draw but looking at the list now she was actually very unlucky not to get someone closer to her own ranking. Oh, well, she's still in the doubles.

BTW, when do you have to stop playing U14 events? I just looked up the Tennis Europe site and her DOB is 10/02/95, so she'll be turning 14 in a fortnight. So I assumed this was gonna be her last U14 event but the No. 2 ranked girl, Putintseva, was born on 07/01/95 and yet she's still playing here. Maybe you get taken off the rankings at the end of the month you turn 14.

#229 ·
I dont really know much about U14 events, but it might be like the U18s wher you can play for the whole year you turn 14, which means Sinead stills has all of 2009 left.

I know, it was bad luck for her to play Jeanjean but Im sure it will give her alot of confidence knowing she can stay kinda tight with one of the top players in the world in her age group.

Sam Barry up to 95 in the world rankings :yeah:

#230 ·
U14 is almost like ITF U18. In Europe, Sinead can keep playing U14 events until around October when the next Tennis Europe season starts. There's usually a gap in the calendar at the end of September and when it picks up again end-Oct, the new ages apply (so events will be advertised as '1996 & later'). In the US, it is full year 2009 so Sinead could still play U14 at Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl in November/December 2009.

#233 ·
#235 ·
Amy lost :sad: I'm glad she playing ITFs though, good experience for her.

Virag NEMETH (HUN) (3) defeated Amy BOWTELL (IRL) 6-1 6-1

No score from Levova's match. Expecting her to win :)

#236 ·
Kelly's qualie draw at the $25k in USA

(5)Heidi El Tabakh (CAN) v Yi Chen (TPE)
Kelly Liggan (IRL) v Petra Padalikova (CZE)

Melisa Miranda-Otarola (CHI) v Paula Zabala (COL)
(14)Laura Siegemund (GER) v Brie Whitehead (USA)