Tennis Forum banner

Ana/Jelena J. comparison

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ana&Jelena Fan 
#1 ·
There was a long article in "Sportski žurnal" about the two of them a couple of days ago. I cannot be bothered to translate the whole of it, but the point is very clear.
Ever since the age of 15 Ana has been working full time with top coaches - Eric Van Harpen and now Zoltan Kuharsky. She has a manager and sponsors, hitting partners, medical team and a fitness trainer. Her career has been carefully planned, not rushing into WTA tournaments, slowly working her way up in ITF level until she was ready for the big time. She knows what areas of the game she needs to work on, and she does exactly that. And it's paying off enormously for her.
While on the other hand, Jelena, since leaving Bolettieri's has been all by herself. She doesn't have a coach, apart from a few gigs that haven't worked. She had a wrong approach to her career in the beginning, getting lots of wild cards into WTA events when frankly she wasn't ready. She refused to get herself in shape early on because she thought she wouldn't look femenine. There have been huge gaps in her game that need to be filled for quite some time now with few changes. It's her talent that got her to top 20 in the world, but it will only take her so far without some additional help.

I think it's spot on. I truly think it's time Jelena did something serious about her career. She is capable of so much more. Just like Ana. But she needs to get serious ASAP.

See less See more
#3 ·
JJ is one of many top players that doesn't have a leacher hmmm "management" team around her. no worries.

#4 ·
I agree with Joana. Ana is a part of the big system and Jelena is independent. Ana`s way is with a less risk but when are you surounded with so much people sometimes it is not so good because sometime you must make decisions. Jelena is stubborn and it is not a good but I like her so much even when she makes mistakes. Ana has European way and Jelena Serbian ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.