• 5 Bethanie Mattek-Sands

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 6 Louisa Chirico

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 7 Laura Siegemund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 Paula Kania

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other (please specify in a post or do not choose this option)

Votes: 6 9.5%

WWW Florianopolis

4K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  klr 
#1 ·
Top half
1 Maria vs MF Alves
Peterson vs Torro-Flor
Cepede Royg vs Gonçalves
Sevastova vs 6 Chirico
4 Pereira vs Irigoyen
Ozaki vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Kostova
Melnikova vs 7 Siegemund

Bottom half
8 Kania vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Ce
Ormaechea vs Lim
C.Alves vs 3 Beck
5 Mattek-Sands vs Minella
Bogdan vs WC Stefani
Qualifier vs Martincova
Qualifier vs 2 Tomljanovic

This has to be one of the worst fields I have ever seen :help:

#3 ·
fifth slam

#15 ·
The surface change was announced before the cut-off for the main draw, which was 6 weeks ago. Presumably, there were some/many withdrawals between the change being announced and the cut-off date. We wouldn't know who they were unless the players themselves came out and said so. Some might have planned to use it as a lead-in to the North American hard court season. Say, Florianopolis -> Washington. The Saturday finish would have facilitated that. The qualifying cut-off was only 3 weeks ago, so all the potential qualifiers knew full well about the surface.

Only 4 withdrawals from the main draw list is not unusual, and it's far from the worst this year. Check out Acapulco or Monterrey. The number of qualifiers withdrawing is not unusual either. It's just that the qualifying list was very weak to begin with. Very few low-ranked players could afford to travel from Europe, Asia or even North America to play qualifiers here.

#14 ·
Where is Cibulkova? Where is Vaidisova? It's great tournament for those all slumping girls. Why they are not here?

#18 ·
Maria #1 :haha:

#22 ·
Looking at the positives, what an opportunity for one of these players to pick up their first WTA title. Would love to see Sevastova go on a run here.

#28 ·
Paula Kania going here for her very first WTA title :hearts: (hopefully :sobbing: ) I would not mind Martincova either, but it's probably going to be Mattek-Sands or someone really random like Peterson.

Alize Lim has a really good chance to win her 1st (?) WTA MD match here too :) Ormaechea is slumping recently, but it's her best surface nevertheless.

#44 ·
Thanks for the answer ;) It wasn't long ago when she was without those wins though ;)

#31 ·
Baku & this are soft, but a lot of players need this to get their careers going forward.
I like weak Intls before the premiers.

#41 ·
I don't like calling them soft. You could sya virtually anything below grand slam level will eb softer. We have titles at different levels. Those who are seeds will be thinking "I can or even should win this one" and even more urgently some of them will also think "When will I get a better chance for my first WTA title?".

All of that makes it stakes on the line in a career defining, potentially more heart breaking and a more exciting tournament. I love it when it's like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.