Tennis Forum banner

Who will end up as the YE #1 of 2014?

Serena's #1 spot in DANGER!

229K views 2K replies 348 participants last post by  NadalNut 
#1 ·
Wimbledon 2014 is done. A crappy year for our beloved GOAT. She will bounce back.. Time to move on!

1. Serena 9510 - currently has a 2550 lead over the #2, but has 6300 points to defend until the end of the season and she only has 280 to gain with a W at Cincy. Looks like an impossible job to stay #1 especially in her current form, but it's HC TIME so who knows..

2. Li 6960 - has to defend 2990 points
3. Halep 6785 - has to defend 2260 points
4. Kvitova 6070 - has to defend 2830 points
5. Radwanska 5330 - has to defend 2505 points
6. Sharapova 4881 - has to defend 1 point LOL
7. Bouchard 4460 - has to defend 937 points
8. Kerber 4365 - has to defend 1997 points
9. Jankovic 3900 - has to defend 2055 points
10. Azarenka 3812 - has to defend 2996 points
11. Ivanovic 3660 - has to defend 1276 points
12. Cibulkova 3636 - has to defend 903 points

Realistically, Maria should become #1 provided she stays injury-free and plays at all the big tourneys. After her I vote Halep, then Bouchard.

Don't see Kvitty or Li staying consistent until the end, plus they got the most to defend together with Vika. Radwanska and Kerber will never be #1.

Vote!

See less See more
#116 ·
Stacy will probably go Tonya Harding on everyone that plays Bouchard in the next 3 months so that she can snatch that YE #1.

#120 ·
Sharapova will have a tough time defending her points haha.

But seriously, my vote is Halep. Sharapova is better on clay and I see her having a US Open where everyone can't quite pinpoint she will lose to, but she will lose.

Halep has to stay healthy and in form though, which is a big ask.

#129 ·
With Serena's losses this year, it's very easy to say that she won't be able to elevate her playing level to secure the wins she had last year with wins this years. Specifically, year end and US open. I think right now, Serena is working on her US Open run, it would be a crazy year if she did not win at least 1 slam. I think if she wins that 18th slam, then the pressure will ease off and she will be able to move forward. In the last year plus, all they talk about is her catching up. So I think her winning the US Open would boost her confidence tremendously, and I think once she secures that win, she will find her form that will not only cause damage for the remainder of this year, but until she decides to call it a day.

So I am on the wire on this one, with a win of the US Open, then she will sustain her #1 and maybe even take it up a notch by entering other tournaments, since the first part of the year has been a disaster.

if she fails again in US Open, she may continue to perform poorly until the end of the year and then she will be able to relax. Serena has always been at her best, when she's not the # 1 player in the world. We cannot know what amount of pressure it has been for her, and some reactions are outside of her control.

I heard that any points that Maria gets going forward will only go to add her points, so who knows she may very well rise up the ranks pretty fast, unless she falls pretty early in tournaments. With Maria, you just never know. If Maria can step up and earn as much points as she wants, no doubt she will revisit number one.

BTW: Where is Serena right now. US, France of where?

#135 ·
So no one wants to calculate when Halep becomes the 6th woman to hold the #1 rank without a Slam?
I thought she was a lock for top spot by the end of the US series but prior the USopen.

Who can post the math in a neat excell table?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#137 ·
Na Li was supposed to take the #1 spot after the French Open. Didn't happen. Those girls will not defends the 2000+ points they have. They'll be losing to Coco and Companies. Just watch.
Wasn't Muguruza doing her little show? Red-Hot Coco tamed her. Wait till Coco gets hold of Sharapova, Kvitova and the rest. :)

#141 · (Edited)
Halep is well organized. She plays a very smart tennis. But she has trouble with power players when their big shots are going in... when they are not spraying.
She beat Kvitova, Stosur when they couldn't land their big shots. She will beat Serena, Sharapova if they are spraying. But if their shots are landing, Halep can't do much.

That's how she gets bageled by Cibulkova and Serena almost in each match. They have to play very good tennis(land consistently their big shots) to beat her.

#161 ·
Halep is well organized. She plays a very smart tennis. But she has trouble with power players when their big shots are going in... when they are not spraying.
She beat Kvitova, Stosur when they couldn't land their big shots.
She will beat Serena, Sharapova if they are spraying. But if their shots are landing, Halep can't do much.

That's how she gets bageled by Cibulkova and Serena almost in each match. They have to play very good tennis(land consistently their big shots) to beat her.
Wrong. Watch the the replays of the matches on Youtube. Simona outplayed them. She didn't have to overpower them. She just needed to make her shots to open up the court. And against Stosur in particular, she was actually pushing Stosur back behind the baseline because she was taking the ball so early. Had nothing to do Sam spraying errors.

#146 ·
Well if Serena wins Montreal and US Open...I think she'll be fine. Otherwise it's gonna be tough. But don't care about #1. I think it's added pressure she doesn't need. I wouldn't mind her loosing it as long as he passes legend for #1 weeks in the future.

#153 · (Edited)
1. Serena 9510 - currently has a 2550 lead over the #2, but has 6300 points to defend until the end of the season and she only has 280 to gain with a W at Cincy. Looks like an impossible job to stay #1 especially in her current form, but it's HC TIME so who knows..
6300 points with only one GS left? Where are the points coming from?
I don't have much hope for Serena and Maria, it doesn't look good for them.

#155 ·
6300 points with only one GS left? Where are the points coming for?
I don't have much hope for Serena and Maria, it doesn't look good for them.
US Open + YEC = 3500 alone.

After that it's "only" 2900 points over Bastad (280), Canada (900), Cinci Final (620) and Beijing (1000). It's a lot of points, but if she were to win in NY and Singapore that's a massive chunk of her points retained.

#157 ·
She will retain her YEC points. she rarely lose to the those top-8 players.

USO is her challenge. If she gets beyond the the lower ranked players in the first 3 rounds, she'll be fine.
bye. She would only be in the 4th round in that case, QuarterRena would be ashamed :tears:

#160 ·
The last time she lost to a Top 12 player was Vika in Cincy.

She's FINE against the elite folks, it's everyone else that she's been vulnerable against lately.

#162 ·
At the moment I don't see Sereta losing the number 1 ranking.
Sure she has been shedding ranking points all year but her lead over everyone else remains intact because there isn't a single player who has stepped up.

Li is #2 sort of by default, she hasn't won a math in months.
Sharapova actually managed to *fall* in the rankings after Wimbledon
Ludmilla somehow managed to steal another GS but she will be back to excuse ridden first round losses soon enough.
The only one this year who is slowly amassing ranking points is Vulturemona Who?lep but let's not speculate on yet another slam less #1 unless we have to

#163 ·
At the moment I don't see Sereta losing the number 1 ranking.
Sure she has been shedding ranking points all year but her lead over everyone else remains intact because there isn't a single player who has stepped up.

Li is #2 sort of by default, she hasn't won a math in months.
Sharapova actually managed to *fall* in the rankings after Wimbledon
Ludmilla somehow managed to steal another GS but she will be back to excuse ridden first round losses soon enough.
The only one this year who is slowly amassing ranking points is Vulturemona Who?lep but let's not speculate on yet another slam less #1 unless we have to
Yeah, reaching a PM final, GS final, and GS SF is vulturing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#167 ·
Maria doesn't even need to do that. Just equalling Serena's performances in every tournament will maintain her 1669 points lead over Serena in the Race to YE #1. But then there's the others lurking behind Maria in the Race ... Can any of them outperform both Maria & Serena? :armed:

#176 ·
First of all, Maria is in the driver sit for that "soon to be open" no. 1 spot, even though there are some girls out there that have a shoot at it, Simona included.
Second, Simona said every time she is asked about the no. 1 place in the rankings, that for her it`s not a priority ATM, but to win a SLAM !
Third: who`s freaking fault is it that all this GS winners on tour are injured/off form/inconstant ?!?! This is the Vika or Serena subject once again. Without this two there`s no fame or glory in winning a Tournament, and the tour must take a long break for them to recover

This post has been deleted
#177 ·
can some mod finally take care of those fanatic Hypelep tards?:zzz:
I swear every single thread is derailed by them and their blind worshiping acts these days...this is getting beyond ridiculous at this point

#187 ·
How is it derailing if they're posting in a thread about who might take the #1 spot from Serena? Halep is 2nd favourite at the moment to do that. Get used to it. :shrug:

All your comment does is show your pathetic attitude towards her and her fans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.