Tennis Forum banner

How many weeks will Serena end up with when her tennis career is over?

Will Serena Williams break Graf's total weeks at #1 record?

50K views 349 replies 139 participants last post by  Marcus1979 
#1 ·
Martina Navratilova believes Serena can break all records.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/18/sport/tennis/tennis-serena-williams-australian-open
How about weeks at #1?

The following people are ahead of her:
Seles 178 weeks
Hingis 209 weeks
Evert 260 weeks
Navratilova 332 weeks
Graf 377 weeks

She is currently at 136 weeks as of (May 13th 2013). If she stays #1 consecutively it will be like this:

200 weeks or longer (as of August 4th 2014)
250 weeks or longer (as of July 20th 2015)
300 weeks or longer (as of July 4th 2016)
350 weeks or longer (as of June 19th 2017)
378 weeks or longer (as of January 1st 2018)

She will be 36 years (and 3,5 months) old in 2018. It's not impossible, but very unlikely..

If Serena maintains her great form and doesn't get injured, do you think she can break Graf's record of weeks at #1? Let's vote now and see if we are right in 2018! Steffi Graf holds the record at 377 weeks.

She plans to reitire after the Olympics in Rio in August 2016, but I believe that if she's still #1 by then and has 300+ weeks that she will continue to play to break Graf's record.

Where will she end up?

See less See more
#78 ·
Re: Will Serena Williams break Graf's weeks at #1 record?

No she won't break Graf's record. Its far too inflated to be a realistic goal for anyone truthfully. The way the system is set up now, its difficult enough to last an entire year un-interrupted as #1. I doubt anyone spends the equivalent of 7 years on top.

#79 ·

I still marvel at Serena's ability to stay at the top to the degree that she already has, really.
It's such a pleasure watching her maintain this incredible elite level of tennis at her age.
The foremost question in my mind is, how will she maintain motivation in the coming season?
She doesn't really have a rival that consistently forces her to step up her game, so I'm a bit worried on that front.

#80 · (Edited)

I still marvel at Serena's ability to stay at the top to the degree that she already has, really.
It's such a pleasure watching her maintain this incredible elite level of tennis at her age.
The foremost question in my mind is, how will she maintain motivation in the coming season?
She doesn't really have a rival that consistently forces her to step up her game, so I'm a bit worried on that front.
Vika may be not play that role(of rival) to everyone satisfaction, but I believe she does just enough to keep Serena honest.

I have come to the conclusion that Serena truly respects what game Vika's brings against her; and Vika is not about to let up, because Serena has become her measuring stick.

I would not go as far as saying Vika does not care how well she does against other players, she puts more premium to how close she comes to Serena.

Even though a loss is hard to take, against Serena, Vika seems to relish the battle against Serena. She takes some satisfaction in the fact that Serena has to play her best to beat her.

Having said that, her defeat in Beijing at the hand of Andrea Pektovic has to be some concerns to her camp.

#91 ·

What's funny is that you could arguably say that Vika was playing BETTER than Serena in 2012 (VA reached more finals and was the YE #1 player) and their H2H was 5-0 :lol:

Hell, if not for Serena playing shitty in those 3 tiebreaks this year, it could VERY easily be 4-0 in 2013 too :haha:

#93 ·

Let's not forget that pedicure injury.

#94 ·

Serena had so much problems with injurys in the past, I can't remember she played three years without a break. That probably will cost her the number one ranking at a poiht during the next two years. But I guess she doesn't care about the ranking. Slams are way more important for her. And I think she won't play that much tournements like this year in the future.

#104 ·

Serena had so much problems with injurys in the past, I can't remember she played three years without a break. That probably will cost her the number one ranking at a poiht during the next two years. But I guess she doesn't care about the ranking. Slams are way more important for her. And I think she won't play that much tournements like this year in the future.
True, just hope it doesn't happen in 2016.

#96 ·

I honestly do not see anyone coming in with the same commitment and results from what we have seen from Serena. Vika did have a wonderful 2012 and started her 2013 well but isn't that always the case. One player has about maybe a full year of good results then as the years go by they fade. It is not an easy task to consistently sit at the top of the game. Whether that is winning slams or maintains the top ranking. If anyone can do that clearly Serena has shown that capability. Whether she will catch the record books is unknown. Only thing that shouldn't be done is to guess based off of not having any facts. We've seen plenty of threads where Serena has made opinions looks hilarious. Not to say anyone can be right or wrong but more often than not what someone feels cannot happens when it comes to the career of Williams she tends to always have results that speak otherwise. I mean the woman has 17 grand slam singles titles. 17! It baffles me that people still can find reason to deem
Anything negative or unattainable at this point in her career.

#101 ·

I honestly do not see anyone coming in with the same commitment and results from what we have seen from Serena. Vika did have a wonderful 2012 and started her 2013 well but isn't that always the case. One player has about maybe a full year of good results then as the years go by they fade. It is not an easy task to consistently sit at the top of the game. Whether that is winning slams or maintains the top ranking. If anyone can do that clearly Serena has shown that capability. Whether she will catch the record books is unknown. Only thing that shouldn't be done is to guess based off of not having any facts. We've seen plenty of threads where Serena has made opinions looks hilarious. Not to say anyone can be right or wrong but more often than not what someone feels cannot happens when it comes to the career of Williams she tends to always have results that speak otherwise. I mean the woman has 17 grand slam singles titles. 17! It baffles me that people still can find reason to deem
Anything negative or unattainable at this point in her career.
Exactly.

All of the posters in that past who felt that Serena would fail in some way or another have ALL been proven wrong by Serena.
Hence, the very reason why we see so many 'BUMPED' threads.
So here again a poster makes a very bold declaration about Serena retiring. And doing so without supportive facts.

The ONLY thing we can definitively say about Serena's eventual retirement, is that when she announces it, that is when it will occur. :shrug:

#97 ·

I can't believe she's within sight of Hingis. Seles is a definite now. I didn't even think that would be possible. Overtaking Hingis is an important move because that would mean the longest No. 1 post 1996. That is, under the current ranking system. You can't really compared divisor weeks with current ranking weeks imo because you would've had different No. 1s if you used the alternative system. For instance, Wizard of Woz would have a lot less weeks at No. 1 under divisor.

#98 ·

Would be cool..but it's still: looong time ahead.

#105 ·

Isn't Serena pretty much a lock on #1 until like April or mid-clay court season?
Yup, at least until weeks of Indian Wells, even if she doesn't play a match.

I can't believe she's within sight of Hingis. Seles is a definite now. I didn't even think that would be possible. Overtaking Hingis is an important move because that would mean the longest No. 1 post 1996. That is, under the current ranking system. You can't really compared divisor weeks with current ranking weeks imo because you would've had different No. 1s if you used the alternative system. For instance, Wizard of Woz would have a lot less weeks at No. 1 under divisor.
Agreed, Serena would have ended number 1 in 2008 and 2012.

#126 ·

Are you implying your ignore list would fit on one screenshot :lol:

Sent from Verticalsports.com App
Okay, then maybe my list isn't as large as some. :lol: :lol:
RVD, I get bad reps from Pova fans a lot too. But

I get more from Henin fans with a lot of nasty remarks. Especially in these
comparison threads Serena or Venus
vs Henin.
I don't post as honestly as I'd like, or else I'm sure I'd get a lot more. :lol:
We had some classic wars with them back in the day.

:worship:
Didn't we?! :lol:
We Serena fans are quite experienced and veterans of the fans wars here.

Reactions: Sam L
#136 ·

this is one record that wont be broken by serena, but i dont think she really cares about it too much. its the slam count
Good point, and may I add, when you get to a certain age it`s harder to attend most events just to be sure you remain no. 1. Anyway, i think going somewhere between 200-250 weeks it`s in her reach, but after that... :wavey:

#124 ·

New Serena nick name: Super Storm; American Hurricane

Can Hurricane Black clam cop right?
WTA Tour Championships 2013 - Serena Williams: The Super Storm

17 times Major conqueror Serena Williams has been the woman to beat in 2013 as she has only been defeated by three woman so far in the year.

The trio who has overpowered the reigning Queen of the WTA are the 20 year old Sloane Stephens,
Aussie Open champ Victoria Azarenka who trumped her on two occasions, firstly in Doha and then again in Cincinnati and the German Sabine Lisicki at Wimbledon.
Can anybody stop her from claiming her 4th Season Ending WTA Championships in Istanbul?

World No.1 Serena Williams has been virtually unstoppable in 2013 as she has blazed her way past almost everything that has come her way.

With an outstanding 73-4 win/loss record for the season featuring 10 titles including two Grand Slams, the American Hurricane has certainly upped her stakes to be crowned as the ‘Greatest of All Time’.

But, what makes Serena’s accomplishments even more ‘outrageous’ is that she has lost only 13 sets thus far in the year,
something that substantiates the argument that the Floridian has been ‘The Super Storm’ in the current season.

And, when we compare it with the former World No.2 Petra Kvitova’s record who has played 36 three set matches (the most by a top-100 player), one would realize how good the 32 year old has been this year.

Her adversaries will have no respite from the scorching ground-strokes of the superstar as she will enter the prestigious 8 woman field in Turkey on the back off some serious momentum – after-all, she clinched the Premier Mandatory China Open 9 days ago in Beijing where she didn’t drop a set in the entire tournament. Moreover, Serena will be doubly motivated to do well at the Season Ending Finale as she would want to end the year on a high.

2013 Review
Titles Won (10): Brisbane, Miami, Charleston, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros, Bastad, Toronto, US Open, Beijing
Grand Slam Highlights:French Open, US Open (Winner)
Win/Loss Record:73-4
Record against Top 10:17-1

source: http://www.tennisearth.com/news/tennisNews/Serena-Williams-The-Super-Storm-501237.htm

#133 ·
#137 ·

^^ Agree with both of you! Serena will surpass Hingis for all time weeks at #1, becoming the GOAT of her generation in that respect.

I'm sure her biggest goals remain the slams. I would be happy if/when she ties Navra/Evert then passes them :cool:

#138 ·

she will be in the fourth position, behind Graf, Nav and Evert, as always :lol:

#139 ·

who would have thought that she would have more weeks as a number 1 than legend :hysteric: oh well, its what you have when playing so so many years. too bad legend retired that soon =(

#141 ·

who would have thought that she would have more weeks as a number 1 than legend :hysteric: oh well, its what you have when playing so so many years. too bad legend retired that soon =(
Me for one, considering she's better and more dominant.

#144 ·

She will probably get past Hingis but that's it. If only she had a full time schedule every year ...
She probably wouldn't have lasted this long if she did.

#145 ·

Important update - Serena has reached 200 weeks now from tomorrow on, yeah!!!!!
Next milestone is 209 weeks to catch Hingis weeks at number 1 - Due date 6th of October....
Bad news - even with her Stanford win she is trailing Halep stripping of all points from last year until that date, so keep finger's crossed that Serena is back now and show us who the real queen is!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.