Tennis Forum banner

Most Dominant Grandslam Win This Decade?

30K views 464 replies 97 participants last post by  Sammie18 
#1 · (Edited)
which do you think is the most dominant win

LINDSAY DAVENPORT 2000 Australian Open
VENUS WILLIAMS 2001 US Open
SERENA WILLIAMS 2002 US Open
JUSTINE HENIN 2007 US Open
MARIA SHARAPOVA 2008 Australian Open
VENUS WILLIAMS 2008 Wimbledon
SERENA WILLIAMS 2008 US Open
SERENA WILLIAMS 2010 wimbledon

#143 ·
Serena may be the best player of the decade, but I'll take Maria's AO 2008 over any of Serena's slams, thank you very much :wavey:

#153 ·
Yet, Serena fans couldn't ignore it? ;)

#155 ·
But AO is the first event of the year for Maria, so she couldn't have been in the middle of a streak of any kind :shrug: You don't make any serious run before AO like you do with FO and USO :shrug: In fact, I think it's more difficult to put such a commanding performance from the scrap based just on the off-season preparations rather then a lenghty winning run in some WTA events.

#164 ·
You can't qualify the results because of who she played. 2002 US was just scary. Serena came out on the court and just killed all the competition. Her serve, her shots EVERYTHING was just on point. It was just scary and dominant. Now AO 08 was good. It was really good actually. I just dont think it was AS dominant as US 02 was.

#166 · (Edited)
There is no singular most dominant. Serena and Maria put in two of the best grand slam performances, with Justine's Roland Garros behind them. Venus' 2000 and 2001 Wimbledon titles are nothing short of impressive as well:

In those two title runs she beat in the top 10: Hingis, Davenport x2, Serena, Henin, and Tauziat losing only one set in to Hingis and one set to Davenport. She beat future top 10 players Sugiyama, Hantuchova, Petrova in straights (giving Petrova a bagel). And she looked positively regal while doing so.

It's not about sets and games won. It's about how invincible you look, and even after losing a set to Hingis and Davenport, I remember not having a doubt that Venus would win.

Numbers on Justine's 2006-2007 RG run:

Sets lost: 0
Opponents in top 10 defeated: Kim Clijsters, Anastasia Myksina (2006); Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic (2007)
Other notable opponents: Anna-Lena Groenefeld (best Slam result)
Average games dropped: 5.5 (2006); 5.4 (2007)
Average ranking of players faced: 33.8 (2006); 30.4 (2007)

Numbers on Maria's 2008 AO run:
Opponents in top 10 defeated: Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic, Justine Henin
Other notable opponents: Elena Dementieva, Lindsay Davenport
Average games dropped: 4.6
Average ranking of players faced: 32.4

Numbers on Lindsay Davenport's AO 2000 run (I consider this a part of the 2000-2009 decade):
Opponents in top 10 defeated: Martina Hingis
Other notable opponents: Anna Kournikova, Sarah Pitowski, Julie Halard-Decugis, Jennifer Capriati
Average games dropped: 5.4
Average ranking of players faced: 47.8

Numbers on Serena's 2002 USO run:
Opponents in top 10 defeated: Lindsay Davenport, Venus Williams
Other notable opponents: Dinara Safina, Daniela Hantuchova
Average games dropped: 4.1
Average ranking of players faced (sans Morariu): 27.3

Based on this, I would have to say Serena's was the most dominant as her opponents were on average higher ranked than Maria's or Justine's, though all 4 slams were equally impressive.

#168 ·
There is no singular most dominant. Serena and Maria put in two of the best grand slam performances, with Justine's Roland Garros behind them. Venus' 2000 and 2001 Wimbledon titles are nothing short of impressive as well:

In those two title runs she beat in the top 10: Hingis, Davenport x2, Serena, Henin, and Tauziat losing only one set in to Hingis and one set to Davenport. She beat future top 10 players Sugiyama, Hantuchova, Petrova in straights (giving Petrova a bagel). And she looked positively regal while doing so.

It's not about sets and games won. It's about how invincible you look, and even after losing a set to Hingis and Davenport, I remember not having a doubt that Venus would win.

Numbers on Justine's 2006-2007 RG run:

Opponents in top 10 defeated: Kim Clijsters, Anastasia Myksina (2006); Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic (2007)
Other notable opponents: Anna-Lena Groenefeld (best Slam result)
Average games dropped: 5.5 (2006); 5.4 (2007)
Average ranking of players faced: 33.8 (2006); 30.4 (2007)

Numbers on Maria's 2008 AO run:
Opponents in top 10 defeated: Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic, Justine Henin
Other notable opponents: Elena Dementieva, Lindsay Davenport
Average games dropped: 4.6
Average ranking of players faced: 32.4

Numbers on Serena's 2002 USO run:
Opponents in top 10 defeated: Lindsay Davenport, Venus Williams
Other notable opponents: Dinara Safina, Daniela Hantuchova
Average games dropped: 4.1
Average ranking of players faced (sans Morariu): 27.3

Based on this, I would have to say Serena's was the most dominant as her opponents were on average higher ranked than Maria's or Justine's, though all 4 slams were equally impressive.
Safina in 2002 was hardly a notable opponent, and why did you exclude Morariu if you didn't exclude Kostanic Tosic for Maria's AO 2008 :shrug: Yup, Serena is surely always going to be #1 no matter what :lol: Sharapova doesn't deserve to be ranked above Serena in one single category :bounce:

#172 ·
^^ and even if I included 9999...don't you think the stat would obviously be skewed. And I say notable opponent for Dinara Safina then because of what she would become.

#181 ·
She has superior product endorsements.
But considering Maria's results over the past three years, her endorsements obviously have little to do with her actual tennis.
I remember Serena fans trying to deny even this, saying Serena had a higher profile than Maria worldwide, despite EVERYONE unbiased telling them Maria is a lot more famous outside of the States :spit:

#204 ·
The question was about Maria being more high-profile then Serena outside the States. It hardly has anything to do with pure tennis results in first place :shrug: Sometimes even the biggest champion of them all falls into shade of somebody else (it's like getting the Oscar for supporting role while the main actor gets left out).

#192 ·
Masha's win in 2008 was :worship: for me
maybe i'm biased, but considering the players she beat and how she beat them, she's my choice

Serena in USOpen 2002 is a close second

#213 ·
it's amazing how dsanders is now hyping jh in 2008, yet whenever you mention miami 2008 to him about serena's win he always say jh wasn't the same as in 2007 :lol:

and really...still going with davenport in 2008?? seriously?? and Dementieva who is maria's bitch??

#226 ·
Wasn't there a fact that someone posted stating Serena only lost 29 games in her U.S Open 2002 win, whereas Maria lost 32 games in her Australian Open 2008 win? In that case, Serena's slam win was more dominant as she lost less games.

I think people are arguing which slam win was more impressive and that's a slightly different question to the topic title.

#240 ·
You know, watching the highlights of the Ivanovic-Sharapova match...there WAS some serious doubt that Sharapova was gonna win in 2 sets. It was still, coupled with the USO final and Wimbledon final that year the most competitive season of Slam finals for a WHILE.

#242 ·
Let's dig out how many times Sharapova was 0-15 behind just to make Serena fans even more happy :hearts:

#257 ·
LOL at this whole thread :haha:

You people are too much :spit:

#264 ·
^^ That was one tournament. You cannot judge someone's entire form based on one tournament....oh wait, this forum does....it's called Rezai hype. Nevermind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.