Tennis Forum banner

Most Dominant Grandslam Win This Decade?

30K views 464 replies 97 participants last post by  Sammie18 
#1 · (Edited)
which do you think is the most dominant win

LINDSAY DAVENPORT 2000 Australian Open
VENUS WILLIAMS 2001 US Open
SERENA WILLIAMS 2002 US Open
JUSTINE HENIN 2007 US Open
MARIA SHARAPOVA 2008 Australian Open
VENUS WILLIAMS 2008 Wimbledon
SERENA WILLIAMS 2008 US Open
SERENA WILLIAMS 2010 wimbledon

#389 ·
Serena fans will never admit Maria's AO 2008 was more impressive (even if Serena's USO 2002 was more dominant because of the fewer games lost). This is going nowhere :lol:

#401 ·
Serena fans started digging out the numbers first :shrug:

#402 ·
No, y'all are the ones who started the "Maria's winner-to-UE-ratio is better than Serena's" bullshit. I actually have facts to prove how well Serena was playing. Where are Maria's stats? Put up or shut up.

#410 ·
:hatoff:

I enjoyed this little discussion. Since I've came to a satisfying conclusion with two of the most frequent Serena-fan posters here, I declare my part in this thread as over.

#414 ·
Maria played awfull in the 2007 final, she didn't do anything except smashing the ball at Serena s body , if you look at the 2005AO win , Maria was the thoughest opponent , Mt aria should have won that match, the SF was way better than the final beating Davenport, also this years Wimbledon, Maria didn't play her best, but the best since the injury, Maria was again the thoughestt opponent for Serena, should be the final, but Serena's serve is amazing. Anyway Maria s form at the 2008 AO still is the most dominant win this decade.

#416 ·
Can agree with it..Maria's win was impressive because nobody expected her to beat specially Juju like that.

#417 ·
Obviously Serena 2002 US Open. The most dominant tennis I have ever seen, sustained from the first stroke of the tournament to the last.
She had two such quality opponents in the semis and final and trampled all over them.

#419 ·
Sharapovas win wasnt that impressive. Once you take off your rose tinted glasses, its clear that she was playing Davenport & Henin at way below their best and her SF/F opponents were nothing special tbh. You cant compare Serena beating Lindsay and Venus in straights to Maria whooping the Serbs because the Serbs werent and still arent really experienced in the latter rounds of slams. Sorry :shrug:

#429 ·
Dsanders...what are you trying to prove? You wanna see that Maria's peak tournament was better than Serena's peak? That Maria at her best is better than Serena at her best?

First you wanted to bring up Juju to Serena's level, now Maria too? What's next? Ivanovic?

#435 ·
Wow is it war now between Serena and Masha tards? I hope it is not because I am mainly Maria fan but I also like Serena. I hate it more when it becomes a war between White and Black because it is Childish and Stupid. Please stop it, they are both famous and amazing tennis players with millions and a happy life.

#442 ·
In the finals themselves, I remember Justine Henin being very dominant in the French Open. In 2005, she beat Mary Pierce in the finals 6-1, 6-1 which was only bested by Steffi Graf in 1988 who beat Zvereva 6-0, 6-0.
But Sharapova in 2008 from round one until the finals only lost a maximum of 4 games per game. Then she beat Ivanovic in 2 closer sets.

#448 ·
In the finals themselves, I remember Justine Henin being very dominant in the French Open. In 2005, she beat Mary Pierce in the finals 6-1, 6-1 which was only bested by Steffi Graf in 1988 who beat Zvereva 6-0, 6-0.

But Sharapova in 2008 from round one until the finals only lost a maximum of 4 games per game. Then she beat Ivanovic in 2 closer sets.

Wasn't 2005 the year that Kuzzie nearly sent her home in that three setter in R16 or QF?

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

#450 ·
Dominant as in level of play they showed or just how easy they win is different i guess.

Justine at her RG wins was brilliance since she wasn't even playing amazing and would still win easy there, beating everyone comfortably.

Justine at usopen07 will forever be in my mind as her highest level she's ever reached. What she could do with the ball there was just amazing. Her all-courtgame was at her absolute best against strong competition. Some of the shots she was making was giving me goosebumps.

#454 ·
Justine 2007 RG is up there. My GOODNESS she looked unstoppable after beating Paszek

#457 ·
I can think of a few... Amélie Mauresmo defeated Kim and Justine at the Australian Open in 2006 (respectively in the semifinal and in the final), but her opponents both retired before the match ended! She won against Kim in 3 sets: 5-7, 6-2, 3-2. She then won against Justine in 2 sets: 6-1, 2-0. Oh well... Bagel avoided and honor saved... right? :oh:

I must admit that Serena schooling Dinara at the Australian Open in 2009 (6-3, 6-0... in the final!) left me rather unimpressed. Where was the opposition in that match? The winner was NID, but come on... Win a few more games at least. :help:

Reactions: aspyrin
#460 ·
Rena USO '14 was :eek::eek:

1R: 6-3 6-1
2R: 6-1 6-0
3R: 6-3 6-3
4R: 6-3 6-3
QF: 6-3 6-2
SF: 6-1 6-3
F: 6-3 6-3
(yes, really poor competetion but still amazing)

Vee USO'01

1R: 6-2 6-3
2R: 6-2 6-2
3R: 6-3 6-4
4R: 6-4 6-0
QF: 6-3 6-1 (Clijsters)
SF: 6-4 6-2 (Capriati)
F: 6-2 6-4 (Serena)
:worship::worship::worship:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.