Tennis Forum banner

Is 2014 Serena's worst year on tour?

6K views 63 replies 50 participants last post by  Sammie18 
#1 ·
Her losses at slams in 2014 were her worst since 1998, the year she debuted. Her losses in 2006 were more to do with her long sabbatical and injury. Is 2014 going to be her worst year ever??

#44 ·
Yes. But at least she won Miami, Rome and Brisbane :shrug: But too early to tell as we haven't had the US tour yet, along with YEC. And yes, I expect her to be in the YEC.

#45 ·
Originally Posted by JonBcn View Post

And yet, despite everything, she's still going to be more than 2,500 points clear as world #1 after Wimbledon.
Still a nice cushion, and I hope she can hang on to surpass Hingis. Never thought she'd catch Chris though even when things were going well.

I hope Serena does have enough time to start caring for her game en total (Mentally/emotionally/nerves, on-court technique) like serving, forehand) before the hard court season. This would have to be something Patrick is in on and I'm not sure what Patrick is doing exactly. He said today that she's not been there all season emotionally from Jan. to now. What has he done to help her? As I said earlier today, if he's helped her out that I don't know of, then my bad. He's not the whole fault for struggles/problems, but he has "messed" too much with certain elements of her game which has thrown it off big-time. One thing to be injured which she was for the AO Open, and that loss didn't bother me as she was injured and Injuries happen. It's another to fool with fool-proof elements of her game the way he has which is now costing her confidence in her whole game. I've never been a big fan of Patricks, so I hope Serena does something to improve things before she's beyond the point of no return or before a possible major injury happens that could pretty much close out her career with 17 singles slams. Maybe speak with Richard and allow him to help her get back to where she was in 2012 on the court. Serena is getting older and When healthy and playing her game, I believe she still has good chances to at least tie Chris/Martina before she retires.

#47 ·
What's with the bump? It was a horrendous year by her standards, one of her worst. When was the last time that a fully-committed and uninjured Serena only won ONE slam all year long? Considering how 2012 and 2013 went and how 2015 is going, 2014 stands out like a sore thumb.

#49 ·
Serena had emotional problems with PM , and it translated to her game and results . Thankfully she still had the points scored in 2013 to be able to stay 1st , and woke up in time to snatch the last GS . But overall mediocre year for her standards .

#50 ·
2014 must had been one of the happiest years for you, not doubt.

#53 · (Edited)
By her recent form maybe. I don't know if I would characterize it as worst. I would say not as good. This is not semantics either. She was 7-0 in finals, including Miami, Rome, Cincy, US Open and WTA Champs. All this while earning 9.3 mil in prize money(2nd highest total ever). She did not lose to Masha, Vika, or Petra and thoroughly avenged her loss to Simona. Wall to wall nuber one. Don't let the Cornet losses fool you. Alize was treeing her ass off and did not win the tourny in any of her three wins. Also, the only top 10 player she lost to was Halep and she won almost 87% of her matches. Name one active player(excluding Venus) who has had a better season. I will be waiting forever.

#55 ·
By her recent form maybe. I don't know if I would characterize it as worst. I would say not as good. This is not semantics either. She was 7-0 in finals, including Miami, Rome, Cincy, US Open and WTA Champs. All this while earning 9.3 mil in prize money(2nd highest total ever). She did not lose to Masha, Vika, or Petra and thoroughly avenged her loss to Simona. Wall to wall nuber one. Don't let the Cornet losses fool you. Alize was treeing her ass off and did not win the tourny in any of her three wins. Also, the only top 10 player she lost to was Halep and she won almost 87% of her matches. Name one active player(excluding Venus) who has had a better season. I will be waiting forever.
This is all you had to say. I will be waiting forever along with you. :smoke:

#58 ·
Serena's standard is that high that even a year when she won a major, yec, miami...stands out as a ' bad' year. :lol:

#60 ·
I started this thread when Serena lost to Cornet at Wimbledon last year asking if 2014 was going to be her worst year ever at slams. But it turned out to be a decent year for her

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.