Tennis Forum banner

How many weeks will Serena end up with when her tennis career is over?

Will Serena Williams break Graf's total weeks at #1 record?

50K views 349 replies 139 participants last post by  Marcus1979 
#1 ·
Martina Navratilova believes Serena can break all records.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/18/sport/tennis/tennis-serena-williams-australian-open
How about weeks at #1?

The following people are ahead of her:
Seles 178 weeks
Hingis 209 weeks
Evert 260 weeks
Navratilova 332 weeks
Graf 377 weeks

She is currently at 136 weeks as of (May 13th 2013). If she stays #1 consecutively it will be like this:

200 weeks or longer (as of August 4th 2014)
250 weeks or longer (as of July 20th 2015)
300 weeks or longer (as of July 4th 2016)
350 weeks or longer (as of June 19th 2017)
378 weeks or longer (as of January 1st 2018)

She will be 36 years (and 3,5 months) old in 2018. It's not impossible, but very unlikely..

If Serena maintains her great form and doesn't get injured, do you think she can break Graf's record of weeks at #1? Let's vote now and see if we are right in 2018! Steffi Graf holds the record at 377 weeks.

She plans to reitire after the Olympics in Rio in August 2016, but I believe that if she's still #1 by then and has 300+ weeks that she will continue to play to break Graf's record.

Where will she end up?

See less See more
#255 ·
#265 ·
Re: Will Serena Williams break Graf's weeks at #1 record?

As much as the Slams count getting a boost gets discussed, weeks at #1 being inflated is often overlooked when reviewing the impact of the Seles stabbing on women's tennis history.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
So true in the bolded. Even when Serena whose chasing Steffi's singles record is taken out of the mix, the brutal and pre-meditated stabbing of Monica by a Steffi psychopant altered woman's tennis history forever.

The bottom line is that Monica was brutally stabbed by a mad man--that altered the trajectory of Monica's tennis career in a very negative way. Weeks @ #1, total slam count, both altered by the stabbing in Steffi's favor. That's why you NOW have MORE former tennis players/tennis sports writers talking about the stabbing. Monica in fact revolutionized tennis--she ushered in the power-era, which took WTA tennis in a whole new direction to where it is currently. Who knows what Monica could have done in her prime with all that power?

#268 ·

Does anyone have an estimated tally for Graf had Seles not been stabbed?

Didn't Graf vote to NOT hold Seles' ranking why she was out with an injury, thanks to one of her crazy fans?
There's no way to know for sure what that number would have been. But the number was definately a bit inflated due to what happened with Monica. As for Steffi, yes she voted to not hold Monica's ranking, and she benifitted from the stabbing, but this whole thing was a huge mess and while I can't say for sure, I'm pretty sure Steffi caries some burdens concerning this whole sutiation. Mad Dog Parche is the one put that * next to Steffi's/Monica's names, and who destroyed/altered tennis history. He robbed tennis and sports of a GREAT rivalry that was well in the making.

Here's an excerpt from "Stabbing stole Monica Seles' Career on espnW from a few years ago.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...pnw-stabbing-stole-monica-seles-tennis-career

Seles' return
After Seles returned to the tour, the WTA reversed its earlier decision and reinstated her No. 1 ranking, to be shared with Graf for six months. And at first, Seles appeared to have regained her old form, reaching the '95 U.S. Open final against Graf.

But Graf won in straight sets, and though Seles won one more Grand Slam title -- the '96 Australian Open -- she would never recapture what she once had. Just as alarming for those who followed her career, she would never again display the same sense of innocence coupled with a steely confidence that so dramatically set her apart.

"She would have won so much more," Navratilova lamented. "We'd be talking about Monica with the most Grand Slam titles [ahead of] Margaret Court or Steffi Graf. Steffi had 22 [Navratilova and Evert have 18 apiece], but she didn't have anyone to play against. This guy changed the course of tennis history, no doubt about that."

"People forget," Fernandez said. "If you look at [Seles'] record, she has nine Grand Slams, which is an amazing career. But she would have had double that at least. . . . She took our game to another level."

Fall from Glory:
Seles would never be no 1 again.

"She had won seven of eight Grand Slams [from '91 to '93] and was on her way to doing even greater things," recalled Mary Joe Fernandez, a 15-year veteran of the tour, ESPN analyst and Seles' closest friend to this day. "She was robbed. It was one of the most tragic things to happen in all of sports."

Monica Seles defeated Martina Navratilova in this women's semifinal at Wimbledon on July 2, 1992, when Seles was at the height of her success.

"She was dominating Steffi Graf, who, prior to Seles, dominated everyone else," Shriver said. "The sad thing about the whole thing to me was that besides the physical and emotional harm that was done to Monica, one of our great champions, is that this guy, in the end, got exactly what he wanted."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...pnw-stabbing-stole-monica-seles-tennis-career

#260 ·

Oh boy! Here we go again with the same old worn out routine "Monica's time out". :help: :yawn: :)

Instead of ridiculing Steffi for being the consummate professional. Why don't you question Monica's motives for not returning when she had ample opportunity. :shrug:

And shame on those trying to associate Steffi with the mental unstable guy. Was the Gunther Parsche a terrible man, yes. Did Steffi have anything to do with the stabbing, no.

So stop taking away her accomplishments. Shame on you... :no:

#261 ·

Oh boy! Here we go again with the same old worn out routine "Monica's time out". :help: :yawn: :)

Instead of ridiculing Steffi for being the consummate professional. Why don't you question Monica's motives for not returning when she had ample opportunity. :shrug:

And shame on those trying to associate Steffi with the mental unstable guy. Was the Gunther Parsche a terrible man, yes. Did Steffi have anything to do with the stabbing, no.

So stop taking away her accomplishments. Shame on you... :no:
when did anyone say any of that?

#263 ·

I don't think that was the reason Monica lost her #1 spot. We must not forget that Monica had a 58 points lead in the WTA rankings over Steffi at the end of 1991. Steffi then reduced that to 32 points, at the end of 1992 and to 21 points in April 1993. Steffi would definitely had overtaken Monica at the USO 93 at the latest. Monica was already gaining weight in 92/93 (she admitted so herself). The writing was on the wall, only deranged lunatics would have thought otherwise. :wavey: :D

#264 ·

I don't think that was the reason Monica lost her #1 spot. We must not forget that Monica had a 58 points lead in the WTA rankings over Steffi at the end of 1991. Steffi then reduced that to 32 points, at the end of 1992 and to 21 points in April 1993. Steffi would definitely had overtaken Monica at the USO 93 at the latest. Monica was already gaining weight in 92/93 (she admitted so herself). The writing was on the wall, only deranged lunatics would have thought otherwise. :wavey: :D

:bs:

#267 ·

Again, lets debunk the Monica was "brutally stabbed" myth that some crackpots are trying to endorse. It was a minor stab wound (needed only ONE stitch to close). She could have easily returned to competition after about 2 months. = FACT :D

This post has been deleted
#269 ·
#274 ·

But on topic, what does Serena need? Another 2? 3 years? Could happen. Won't be easy
Needs to be YE #1 2015, 2016, and 2017? :eek:

#280 ·

:lol: Crackpot Williams fans quoting Navratilova as their saviour. :happy: :help:
I see only one certified crackpot and it's the insecure fan of a retired player stalking Serena's greatness discussion threads. Heaven knows what you have planned as the inevitability of Serena's indisputable GOAT status draws nearer.

Tell me, how do you plan to celebrate when 23 happens?

#281 ·

OK lets put this foolhardy nonsense to bed. Some user asks, how will I celebrate Serena if she wins 23? :facepalm: :help:

The same way I celebrated her win she won at AO/RG/the Championships/Wimbledon in 2015. By cracking open a bottle of Ciroc vodka then, looking at my bank balance after she won and getting all excited when I see those thousands of pounds in cash that weren't there before. It's a fallacy, perpetrated by "so called" Serena crackpots that I "HATE" and "SEETHE" whenever she wins a slam event. :cuckoo: :help:

LOADSAMONEY... Serena has won me LOADSAMONEY!!!!

:happy:

#297 ·

You mean Helen Lawson which is cringeworthy.

At this point I simply view Helen Lawson as entertainment and nothing more. Every time something occurs I actually think, "How will Helen Lawson take what is absolute fact to any rational tennis fan and turn it to fit a warped uneducated, biased point of view?" Reading Lawson's posts are good for a great laugh. That's all this poster can provide. Its like reading the Onion newspaper. Good for a laugh but nothing you would ever take seriously.

#301 ·
stabbing of seles didnt affect serena´s career anyway

sure it did with graf´s and monica´s

yeah monica should have won way more slams, she was never the same after she came back and she was dominating when she got stabbed...but now its talking about things that "would have happened", and you never know. we only know what happened

its a shame, though

#306 ·
so many variables.

the Capriati story may not of happened since the slams she won were also Monica's best

Hingis may not of had that dominant period for similar reasons but that could of been based on without the stabbing would that H2H be a complete new game.

#308 ·
I would have said no, 2 years ago. Now it looks very possible, especially if she's still capable of winning 2 majors in 2016 & 2017. That might keep her #1 right thru early 2018

#311 ·
Meh, back when I made this thread I was a rookie at polls and didn't know how to extend it until 2018 so it closed within a few months. There would be over 400 votes by now and i bet 90% would ve voted against Serena breaking Grafs records. It just seemed impossible 4 years ago. I just knew she could do it as long as she stayed active and injury free!

#314 ·
Off course it is. But hey we are on a tennis forum and for me this specific thread is really hilarious!! Open a thread about breaking the 377 weeks #1 record from Graf over three years ago....That was some outrageous thing, not to say a typical trolling thread:) But here we are, three years down, 1 1/2 years to go, hahahaha!! Keep calm guys!

#321 ·
I love how every wrote her off when she only had 136 weeks. She's now at 300 and still going strong :haha:

While I don't care whether she does, it's definitely a possibility now. Something that people didn't think was the case 3 years ago

#328 ·
So if I check those poll results for names... :oh:

Maybe outrageous to an uneducated tennisfan like yourself, but I recognized her greatness a long time ago. 2012 showed us what Serena was still capable of. Easily dominating the rest of the top 10. All she needed was to stay uninjured and she did.
Welcome back on the bandwagon sis.

#331 ·
Actually, I'm not even worried about the 'total weeks at #1 record'. Serena will eventually break this as long as she keeps playing and she said she would. Even if she loses the #1 spot temporarily, she will get it back, because she has nothing to defend after the UO.

It's the consecutive weeks I'm worried about. If only she can hold on til after the UO..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.